Greensburg, IN

#1 Apr 2, 2013
Get in my face and do it, you'll find out real quick what 'i' think

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#2 Apr 2, 2013
ONLY at Funerals..when in a Vulgar sense...
Level 5

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#3 Apr 2, 2013
NO. If you restrict it its no longer FREE.
You can ask people to censer them self and get better results. Once you tell people they are no longer able to speak their minds, they tend to get a bit UGLY.

Level 8

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#4 Apr 2, 2013
The crazies at Westboro are the first ones to come to mind...if they can say the crazy sh!t they do I would think anybody should be able to.

“Fishin" in the Moonlight”

Level 9

Since: Jul 11

.......¿.......

#5 Apr 3, 2013
Free speech should never be restricted, nor should opposing opinions.

“Redhead Phase”

Since: Apr 13

Scappoose, Oregon USA

#7 Sep 12, 2014
No, free speech (as set forth and protected in the 1st Amendment to our Constitution) should never be infringed. For one thing lots of speech which people think is protected, really isn't – liable, slander, and threats are not protected "free speech" and so there are already guidelines and restrictions in place. What we need is for people to just become more tolerant of opposing opinions, and civil to one another – but I'm not gonna hold my breath-lol.
June

Allentown, PA

#8 Sep 13, 2014
NO. But we can be polite about it, meaning no curse words.
Say what you will

Chicago, IL

#9 Sep 13, 2014
Define "free speech". Do you see terrorist threatening as "free speech"? If not, and you agree with imprisoning someone for it, then you are "for" restricting "free speech.
Bill

Owensboro, KY

#10 Sep 13, 2014
Say what you will wrote:
Define "free speech". Do you see terrorist threatening as "free speech"? If not, and you agree with imprisoning someone for it, then you are "for" restricting "free speech.
Yeah free speech don't cover everything. Some speech could get you arrested, sued, or beat
Bill

Owensboro, KY

#11 Sep 13, 2014
Say what you will wrote:
Threatening somebody because of their political views/party is getting pretty close to the actual legal defination of terrorism
Say what you will---but

Fort Worth, TX

#12 Sep 13, 2014
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah free speech don't cover everything. Some speech could get you arrested, sued, or beat
There was a restriction put on free speech when the 1st amendment was written in 1791. It was written to exclude criticism of the government at the time. Speaking out against the government could and still can land you a stint in prison. It wasn't until 1919 that the Supreme Court expanded the 1st to include state governments as well. Until then, the 1st only applied to the federal government.

In expanding the “clear and present danger” test established in Schenck v. United States (1919), the Court held that states can “punish utterances endangering the foundations of government and threatening its overthrow by unlawful means” because such speech would “present a sufficient danger to the public peace and to the security of the State.”

We have all seen or heard those that have advocated armed insurrection and overthrow of the government. Well, that just happens to be one of those "unlawful means" utterances that the 1st doesn't cover. It will not protect you from prosecution at that point.
In short, you have the right of freedom of speech, but only up to a point.
Bill

Owensboro, KY

#13 Sep 13, 2014
Say what you will---but wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a restriction put on free speech when the 1st amendment was written in 1791. It was written to exclude criticism of the government at the time. Speaking out against the government could and still can land you a stint in prison. It wasn't until 1919 that the Supreme Court expanded the 1st to include state governments as well. Until then, the 1st only applied to the federal government.
In expanding the “clear and present danger” test established in Schenck v. United States (1919), the Court held that states can “punish utterances endangering the foundations of government and threatening its overthrow by unlawful means” because such speech would “present a sufficient danger to the public peace and to the security of the State.”
We have all seen or heard those that have advocated armed insurrection and overthrow of the government. Well, that just happens to be one of those "unlawful means" utterances that the 1st doesn't cover. It will not protect you from prosecution at that point.
In short, you have the right of freedom of speech, but only up to a point.
A lot of far right groups advocate overthrowing the government by armed insurrection. I couldn't really understand why some of the most extreme groups have never been charged, but I guess the federal government don't want to risk weakening the anti terrorism laws

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#14 Sep 14, 2014
Restricted for trolls. :D

“It's a secret”

Level 8

Since: Sep 12

Or maybe I just forgot!!

#15 Sep 14, 2014
it always has been for decent people..

My momma always told M.E. if you can't say something nice..don't say nothing at all...

I mean pointing out the truth is one thing but say...I call someone a name, etc...they shouldn't have to live with it...it's not right..not just...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min Aura Mytha 133,020
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 4 min -Lea- 25,755
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 6 min Tom2Tone 152,552
For Dear FlowerChild (Dec '07) 7 min Flower-Child 24,133
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 12 min Princess Hey 353
The BIZARRE reasons why men rape in India 14 min Paki_Jatt_Soorma 1,121
tellmealie (Dec '12) 16 min Mechanic 339
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 25 min Spirit67_ 7,630
More from around the web