Posted in the Weird Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Level 2

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#1 Jul 20, 2009
I am not trying to start a war but there seems to be a lot of hate and hard to tolerate different views. Why do people go to church and can't seem to "love thy neighbor." I like to know your angle on this.
Queen of Hearts

United States

#2 Jul 20, 2009
greeneyedmexi wrote:
I am not trying to start a war but there seems to be a lot of hate and hard to tolerate different views. Why do people go to church and can't seem to "love thy neighbor." I like to know your angle on this.
Maybe they forget to take a little of that love home with them.LOL!
Queen of Hearts

United States

#3 Jul 20, 2009
greeneyedmexi wrote:
Maybe they forget to take a little of that love out the door with them when they are leaving,and as they are exiting the church,their mask is unveiled,and the poor old neighbor next door gets to see their true colors!LOL!
jasmine777

Nolensville, TN

#4 Jul 20, 2009
Queen of Hearts wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe they forget to take a little of that love out the door with them when they are leaving,and as they are exiting the church,their mask is unveiled,and the poor old neighbor next door gets to see their true colors!LOL!
To me it means offer a helping hand when you see someone in need.

It means the opposite of :"that's not my problem"
gloria

United States

#5 Jul 20, 2009
I think it means to be kind to others even if they are not so kind to you.Which is sometimes not an easy thing to do, but I do think it is something to strive for and which there is not enough of in this world.
Loved Blair

Opelousas, LA

#6 Jul 20, 2009
Queen of Hearts wrote:
<quoted text>
yes...all these GOOD POSTERS on topix are showing their true colors....even to wishing others death and saying they are glad someone is dead....what lovely people these GOOD POSTERS...lmao

“Eats yer spinichk ?”

Since: Sep 08

CardboardBoxville

#7 Jul 20, 2009
If I loved my neighbor as I did myself, I'd be arrested !!!
-
But seriously, you are absolutely correct. On paper it looks great, but in practice, it can be a totally different thing because your "neighbor" might not be someone who is easily loved. In fact, your neighbor might be the most vile, despicable person on the planet. Trying to love that person is where you begin to separate the men from the boys. The hypocrites from the genuine article.
-
Think of it this way: It's very easy to love a cute little cuddly puppy dog, but try to love a sewer rat. In reality, both deserve equal love (rats serve a purpose in this world, if they didn't, rats would not exist) so should anyone make a choice ?
-
If you feel that some people do not deserve love, where do you draw the line between those who do and those who do not ?
-
Does the young teen who just robbed the convenience store deserve love? How about the young girl who slapped her mother across the face ? How about the 6 year old who hits his class mates and never obeys mommy ? How about the 25 year old man who shot and killed a man in fit of anger ? How about the old guy down the street who was arrested for being a "Peeping Tom ?" How about the husband who is mentally abusive to his wife ? How about the mother who severely beats her kids ? How about the person who cut you off on the highway while giving you the finger ? On and on and on... you get the idea. Some of these people you might answer "YES" to and some you will most likely answer "NO" to, but the fact remains, they are all your "neighbor" like it or not.
-
Which ones get love and which ones don't ?
-
I am not religious by any stretch of the imagination, but I believe that if you read the Bible (the movie, "The Passion" really points this out) Jesus preached that you should love everyone, even your enemies.
-
Most so-called Christians (who I usually refer to as "arm-chair Christians") fail miserably on this point. They will only love someone provided that other person is like them.
Queen of Hearts

United States

#8 Jul 20, 2009
jasmine777 wrote:
<quoted text>
To me it means offer a helping hand when you see someone in need.
It means the opposite of :"that's not my problem"
That is what it should mean to most people,then there are those that seem to be holier than thou,while sitting in the church pews,then when they exit the doors,they return to their true colors,and are for themselves and forget everyone else.

The love for mankind seems to remain in the church pew that they were sitting in before they left the church.

In a perfect world,love thy neighbor would be to lend that helping hand when your neighbor was in need.

Treat that neighbor with respect and kindness,and be the caring person outside the church,that you present yourself to be while inside the church.

We have probably all seen people who will be like this.On Sundays or whatever day they may attend church,they seem as the nicest of all God's creatures,then the next tie you encouter them,it's as though they just escaped from hell,and are totally different than they were prior to this.LOL!
Queen of Hearts

United States

#9 Jul 20, 2009
Loved Blair wrote:
<quoted text>yes...all these GOOD POSTERS on topix are showing their true colors....even to wishing others death and saying they are glad someone is dead....what lovely people these GOOD POSTERS...lmao
It is sad that anyone would find pleasure in another's demise however,there are all kinds of people in this world,and some we would probably be better to ignore.

Many people enjoy the thought of saying things that they think will hurt another,as this is their way to find pleasure in their own miserable lives.

I usually try to avoid such childish behavior,but I have had moments when I would become a little aggitated with someone's comment.At these times,I usually tell them how I feel,then let them be gone.I don't let very much get to me,especially what goes on in cyberspace.
tiney-hh

Edmonton, Canada

#10 Jul 20, 2009
It is not love thine neighbors...

It is love treat you neighbor as you yourself would like to be treated. And 'christians' and any controlled religion as they call it, like baptist, catholics, jews,, are the phoniest bunch around,,they are most famous for Do as I say...
any controlled religion or sect...phony,,and only do for others for themselves...
Queen of Hearts

United States

#11 Jul 20, 2009
Whiskey Tango Foxtrott wrote:
If I loved my neighbor as I did myself, I'd be arrested !!!
-
But seriously, you are absolutely correct. On paper it looks great, but in practice, it can be a totally different thing because your "neighbor" might not be someone who is easily loved. In fact, your neighbor might be the most vile, despicable person on the planet. Trying to love that person is where you begin to separate the men from the boys. The hypocrites from the genuine article.
-
Think of it this way: It's very easy to love a cute little cuddly puppy dog, but try to love a sewer rat. In reality, both deserve equal love (rats serve a purpose in this world, if they didn't, rats would not exist) so should anyone make a choice ?
-
If you feel that some people do not deserve love, where do you draw the line between those who do and those who do not ?
-
Does the young teen who just robbed the convenience store deserve love? How about the young girl who slapped her mother across the face ? How about the 6 year old who hits his class mates and never obeys mommy ? How about the 25 year old man who shot and killed a man in fit of anger ? How about the old guy down the street who was arrested for being a "Peeping Tom ?" How about the husband who is mentally abusive to his wife ? How about the mother who severely beats her kids ? How about the person who cut you off on the highway while giving you the finger ? On and on and on... you get the idea. Some of these people you might answer "YES" to and some you will most likely answer "NO" to, but the fact remains, they are all your "neighbor" like it or not.
-
Which ones get love and which ones don't ?
-
I am not religious by any stretch of the imagination, but I believe that if you read the Bible (the movie, "The Passion" really points this out) Jesus preached that you should love everyone, even your enemies.
-
Most so-called Christians (who I usually refer to as "arm-chair Christians") fail miserably on this point. They will only love someone provided that other person is like them.
Very good post.I myself claim no religious beliefs,but I do think it would be fair to say that some people are as those you described,and it would seem impossible for anyone to love them.

Soooooo,lol...even though one would be proclaiming to be rightous,they still are in no way a perfect being.

Therefore,if we are to love those that are unlovable,yet we are unable to do so,then would this condemn all of us to eternal damnation?LOL!
Loved Blair

Opelousas, LA

#12 Jul 20, 2009
Queen of Hearts wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good post.I myself claim no religious beliefs,but I do think it would be fair to say that some people are as those you described,and it would seem impossible for anyone to love them.
Soooooo,lol...even though one would be proclaiming to be rightous,they still are in no way a perfect being.
Therefore,if we are to love those that are unlovable,yet we are unable to do so,then would this condemn all of us to eternal damnation?LOL!
yep probably sentenced to hell forever....lol...

Since: Feb 08

Troy, NY

#13 Jul 20, 2009
To me it means to treat people with the respect and compassion that I show myself and my family members. Help out when you can and when needed and ask for nothing in return just knowing you helped someone should be enough")
Queen of Hearts

United States

#14 Jul 20, 2009
Loved Blair wrote:
<quoted text>yep probably sentenced to hell forever....lol...
Oh No!Oh well,what can we do?LOL!

“Eats yer spinichk ?”

CardboardBoxville

#15 Jul 20, 2009
Queen of Hearts wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it is extremely difficult to be "Christ-like"
It takes a mountain's worth of wisdom, self control and inner peace to do so.

If you consider the grief he has dealt with from the Chinese government over the past decades, I think the Dali Lama comes pretty damn close.

“1943-2013”

Level 10

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#16 Jul 20, 2009
I love my neighbors and if'n the menfolk catch me I'm dead meat.
Loved Blair

Opelousas, LA

#17 Jul 20, 2009
Queen of Hearts wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh No!Oh well,what can we do?LOL!
what would you think of someone who said they were glad that michael jackson was dead....

Level 2

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#18 Jul 20, 2009
Thank you positive people. Good to know there are people out there who care. You don't even have to be religous to follow this saying. I am sorry for those who are jaded. Yes, bad things happen but no one is immune to doing things that are wrong or even terrible. All people have the choice to try to love and not judge. No one is perfect. I know I am not. I know even the worst crimanels are neighbors even though it would be easy to hate them and already condemn them to hell in our minds. Don't hate the person, hate what they do. I don't push myself on anyone about anything. I wish we could find a way to be able to find respect for each other. Its not just about race, its about orientation, physical looks, religous beliefs, what you have and can afford, kids that no one will like and get picked on, intelligence, anything.
Queen of Hearts

United States

#19 Jul 20, 2009
Whiskey Tango Foxtrott wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it is extremely difficult to be "Christ-like"
It takes a mountain's worth of wisdom, self control and inner peace to do so.
If you consider the grief he has dealt with from the Chinese government over the past decades, I think the Dali Lama comes pretty damn close.
I think you're right about that.Very few people even come close,but there are a few exceptions.

Maybe criticism from others,could be one of the reasons that more people do not give it a try though.

Regardless of the way a person may choose to live,others will be judgemental of that person.

Anyway,I really prefer not to get into these religious debates.I try to respect everyone's choices,and try to keep my own opinions to myself when it comes to their choices.LOL!

Afterall,there is safety in silence!LOL!

“Eats yer spinichk ?”

CardboardBoxville

#20 Jul 20, 2009
skipper wrote:
I love my neighbors and if'n the menfolk catch me I'm dead meat.
and your meat will be dead.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 4 min mr goodwrench 8,390
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 6 min dirtclod 161,684
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 8 min I Am No One_ 161,758
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 26 min beatlesinafog 3,260
Poll New "Drop one Word" With Famous People's Names (Oct '12) 29 min beatlesinafog 706
Dave's bar and grill,is now open. (May '13) 36 min David0407 6,017
Word Association (Mar '10) 55 min beatlesinafog 17,089
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 1 hr beatlesinafog 10,875
News Baltimore Mom Catches Her Son Rioting, Beats Hi... 6 hr Enzo49 165
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 9 hr Duh 28,972
Things that make life eaiser... 11 hr Old Sam 251
More from around the web