New York today
Posted in the Weird Forum
#1 Feb 3, 2014
Good afternoon. It’s Monday. The Super Bowl’s over.
White stuff is falling from the sky.
Here’s what you need to know:
• Four to eight inches of heavy, wet snow is expected before it tapers off in midafternoon.
• Public schools in the city are open but field trips and after-school activities are canceled. Many suburban school districts are closed or closing early.
• Alternate side parking is suspended.
• There are flight delays of up to four hours — check with your airline. Airports are expecting stranded travelers tonight and readying cots and pillows, officials told 1010 WINS radio.
• On land, travel is fouled up, too.
• The temperature will hover around freezing most of the day and dip to 20 tonight.
• Six inches have already fallen in Central Park and parts of Long Island, more in western New Jersey. See chart.
• More snow, sleet and rain are coming Tuesday night.
All of this means you may soon get a chance to operate the tool known as a snow shovel.
You may think you know how. But New York City has special shoveling laws.
Q: When do you have to shovel?
A: You must clear the sidewalk within four hours after the snow stops falling. But if it stops after 9 p.m., you have until 11 a.m.
Q: Do I have to clear the whole sidewalk? My sidewalk is very wide!
A: No. You have to clear a path just “wide enough for pedestrians and to allow for wheelchair and stroller access,” the city’s Law Department said.
Q: Can I shovel snow into the street?
A: Please don’t. It can impede the street-clearing process, which is against the law.
Q: How much snow must fall before I’m required to shovel?
A: The law doesn’t say. Use common sense.
Here’s what else is happening.
Subways: Check latest status.
Buses: Widespread delays on buses in the city and in New Jersey. See updates.
Rails: There have been delays today. Check L.I.R.R., Metro-North or New Jersey Transit status.
Roads: Messy Check traffic map or radio report on the 1s or the 8s.
The city’s Plow Tracker shows what streets have been plowed and when.
COMING UP TODAY
• A mayoral media blitz: Bill de Blasio is on the Brian Lehrer radio program on WNYC at 11 a.m.…
•… and on “The Daily Show With Jon Stewart” tonight. The mayor tapes at 6:15 p.m. for the 11 p.m. broadcast.]
• Free Bloody Marys promote Tabasco sauce at Pennsylvania 6 restaurant on West 31st Street. 10 a.m. to noon.
• Y’all come back soon: Senator Charles E. Schumer urges the N.F.L. to bring the Super Bowl to the New York area again. Outside the Sheraton Hotel in Midtown at 11 a.m.
• The 1957 Skid Row semidocumentary “On the Bowery” screens at the Library for the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center. 2:30 p.m.
• Hilton Als and Carla Kaplan talk about their respective books,“White Girls” and “Miss Anne in Harlem: The White Women of the Black Renaissance,” and at the main New York Public Library. 7 p.m.
• Telling a different kind of story: Community Education night for the popular Moth storytelling series features high school students and a stroke survivor with impaired speech. At Housing Works in SoHo. 7 p.m.
• New York’s poet laureate, Marie Howe, reads at the Stella Adler acting studio on West 27th Street. 7 p.m.
• Claire Messud talks about her new novel,“The Woman Upstairs,” at Powerhouse Arena in Dumbo. 7 p.m.
• A pansexual cabaret pays tribute to the 1940s researcher George W. Henry, author of the 1941 deviancy study “Sex Variants.” At Joe’s Pub, 9:30 p.m.
IN THE NEWS
• Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead of an apparent overdose at his apartment in Greenwich Village.
• More than 27,000 Super Bowl fans followed recommendations to take the train to the game — and waited hours at a jammed station for trains home.
• Mayor de Blasio dropped the groundhog. Both survived the ordeal.
Add your comments below
|Add a Word remove a Word (Oct '13)||14 min||Whiny1||1,585|
|How's your weather today? (Mar '12)||14 min||Sublime1||5,431|
|***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10)||15 min||Whiny1||78,975|
|Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13)||16 min||Whiny1||7,906|
|JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09)||17 min||barry macockiner||28,974|
|Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14)||17 min||Whiny1||3,263|
|keep a word drop a word (Sep '12)||18 min||Whiny1||8,129|
|What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08)||30 min||-ThatsAllFolks-||161,769|
|Word Association 2 (Sep '13)||31 min||Papa Smurfaletto||10,880|
|Baltimore Mom Catches Her Son Rioting, Beats Hi...||58 min||Reality||174|
|Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12)||3 hr||MrsGladToBeMe||8,396|
Find what you want!
Search Weird Forum Now
Copyright © 2015 Topix LLC