Lotto winner charged with welfare fraud

Lotto winner charged with welfare fraud

There are 109 comments on the www.cbsnews.com story from Apr 17, 2012, titled Lotto winner charged with welfare fraud. In it, www.cbsnews.com reports that:

A Michigan woman who continued to get food stamps after winning a $1 million lottery jackpot has been charged with welfare fraud.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cbsnews.com.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Hmmmmm

Bridgeport, WV

#114 Apr 20, 2012
If she wasn't gambling would she really need food stamps?
bailout my duck

United States

#116 Apr 23, 2012
just slap the bit ch

Spotted Girl

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#117 Apr 23, 2012
Hmmmmm wrote:
If she wasn't gambling would she really need food stamps?
But I bet she wasn't buying many habits. Some try to enter the lotto to get out of their poverty, which seems unproductive unless you win. If you want to win, you must enter. The chance of winning if you enter is next to nothing, and if you don't enter, it really is nothing.

“Pardon my nosiness ”

Level 7

Since: May 07

London, England

#118 Apr 23, 2012
Spotted Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
But I bet she wasn't buying many habits. Some try to enter the lotto to get out of their poverty, which seems unproductive unless you win. If you want to win, you must enter. The chance of winning if you enter is next to nothing, and if you don't enter, it really is nothing.
You're right of course, the person who buys just one ticket stands 100% chance of winning over someone who doesn't buy a ticket, but even those odds are not good enough for me to buy a ticket.

Spotted Girl

“The Spotted Girl News Network”

Level 8

Since: Apr 09

Spotted World

#119 Apr 23, 2012
Fish_sticks wrote:
<quoted text>
And I repeat since you don't read, I have no idea how they got a house. They may have gotten some government funding, she never said and I didn't ask. I don't think she would have invited us over if she lied about it and she talked endlessly about the pool, that it was very dirty and asked me what chemicals to buy.
Of all the post on this thread you came specifically at me, that's a dead ringer for how geno acts. Continue to deny it, you are only lying to yourself.
Being as I work with EBT cards everyday, I see. I see people with their fake fingernails, jewelry, and nice cars and wonder how they received food stamps. But welfare does not ask about vehicles, or any luxury items. All you need is proof of your income, how many you feed with birth certificates, proof of your bills, and what your rent/house payment is. If a woman has 4 kids and a working husband, all she needs to say is that the husband isn't in the picture.*POOF* here's your EBT card. Yes, it is that simple and in our county, it's a fact. That is a kink in the system and if fixed, it would eliminate those who don't deserve it.
Do you enjoy someone living off your dime? If you do then you're an idiot.
It isn't just EBT. Charities and freebies in general get scammed.

Free medical clinics have people lying about their insurance coverage and volunteers who may try to skim the medications. They have ways of catching dishonest volunteers. Even medicare and other insurance is abused when people steal other people's claim cards and use them. I shared somewhere before about how that can put the real person's health at risk. What if someone else's information gets in your medical records?

In soup kitchens, there are people who lie about whether they just ate there to try to get seconds when others still haven't had firsts. Some will go out and put on sunglasses or turn their hat around and hope to not be recognized. Occasionally, it is the volunteers who are guilty of the worst abuse. I've heard plenty of tales where lots of food get donated, or certain food items get donated, but the visitors or shelter residents never see it. There was a tale about why one shelter volunteer was asked to leave. She made it a regular habit to back up to the back door and load down her car.

Speaking of shelters, quite a few have rules to try to cut down on abuse by residents. There are the usual conduct things like not showing up intoxicated, not fighting, and even sexual harassment policies. But they may also have rules about giving them so much of any income you make while staying there, or limits on the length of stay in a year's time. Sure, that is a safety net for those who really need it, but they are not intended for living indefinitely.

A local thrift store with inexpensive used items saw its share of theft. They had a room with stuff they charged more for, which they called the boutique. Well, one day, a volunteer noticed something suspicious. Someone was outside looking up at a window with outstretched arms. They didn't think much of that at first. But then someone mentioned that certain items were not in there, and that before that, someone tried to talk them down on an item. It didn't take much to put all that together and realize what happened. The director drilled into the windows and put in screws so they wouldn't open so nobody could throw merchandise out the window to accomplices.

“Maiden of Mayhem”

Since: May 08

OMFUG

#120 Oct 1, 2012
Amanda Clayton Dead: Lottery Winner Who Used Food Stamps Died Of Possible Drug Overdose

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/30/aman...
Anonymous

Downey, CA

#121 Oct 2, 2012
She didn't win a million dollars. She won $735K before taxes.

I laugh at morons who refer to the sum of the 20-26 year annuity as if its the present value.
beatlesinthebog

New Zealand

#122 Oct 2, 2012
I'd love to win lotto AND be charged with welfare fraud!
just me

Caruthersville, MO

#123 Oct 2, 2012
ha ha hope the B#*ch burns in hell I would love to piss on her in her casket

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Goodbye Princess Hey (Jul '14) 8 min Princess Hey 86
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 1 hr Princess Hey 18,976
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 1 hr Princess Hey 17,202
Add a Word remove a Word (Oct '13) 1 hr Princess Hey 6,571
First Word That Comes To Mind ....... (Apr '10) 1 hr Princess Hey 14,026
any word you want to say (Dec '09) 1 hr Princess Hey 8,810
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 1 hr Princess Hey 151,465
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 5 hr wichita-rick 230,107