New York today: snowstorm
Posted in the Weird Forum
#1 Feb 13, 2014
Good Thursday morning.
It’s 28 degrees, it’s been snowing since around midnight, and forecasters predict 8 to 14 inches in the city — more to the north and west, less to the south and east.
Here’s what you need to know:
• Public schools in New York City are open; field trips are canceled.
Many public school districts in the region are closed or opening late, though.
So are many private schools and colleges in and out of the city. See list.
• Snow will fall heavily through the morning rush and probably mix with rain and sleet after noon, with a high around 33 degrees.
Winds of around 20 miles an hour will blow, further limiting visibility.
•“Because of its timing and intensity, this storm is going to make both the morning and evening rush hours extremely difficult,” Mayor de Blasio warned on Wednesday night.
“If you do not need to drive, you will help yourself and everyone else by staying off the roads.”
• On the rails, Metro-North is running reduced service. All other systems are trying to run normal service.
• Subways are running pretty much normally, but there are delays on city buses.
• For drivers, speed limits are reduced on many highways and bridges. For details see “Commute” section below.
• Alternate-side parking is suspended through Monday. Meters are in effect.
• This mammoth storm has left 350,000 people without power as far south and west as Texas.
• Wet snow and ice on trees and wires could cause power failures here, too. So far, though, only about 600 homes in the region lack power.
• The National Weather Service warned,“Heavy, wet snow may cause some weak flat-roof structures to collapse.”
• Government offices and New York Public Library branches are open. But nonessential New York State employees can seek permission to stay home, Governor Cuomo said.
• A winter storm warning is in effect till 6 a.m. Friday.
New York City has also issued a hazardous travel advisory.
A state of emergency has been declared in New Jersey.
• See what streets have been plowed via the city’s Plow Tracker.
• The snow, sleet and rain will taper off around evening-commute time, but the mix of wet and frozen stuff on the ground — about six inches will have fallen by then — will be treacherous.
• Later this evening comes a last heavy round. The precipitation will change to all snow after midnight, and it may keep falling until 6 a.m. Friday.
• North and west of the city, only snow is expected. Totals could approach 18 inches in parts of New Jersey and lower New York State.
• Long Island and the Jersey Shore will see less snow, as little as a few inches.
Roads: Speed limits of 45 on the N.J. Turnpike and Garden State Parkway, 25 miles an hour on Staten Island-New Jersey crossings. Check traffic map or radio report on the 1s or the 8s.
Subways: Delays on the northbound D. Check latest status.
Rails: Delays of up to 15 minutes on N.J. Transit. Cancellations on Morris and Essex Line. Metro-North at 75 percent capacity. Check L.I.R.R., Metro-North or N.J. Transit status.
Buses: Widespread delays. Check latest status.
Expect delays on Staten Island Ferry.
Air Travel: Delays are expected. Check with your airline. See map.
COMING UP TODAY
Check for cancellations before venturing out.
• Mayor de Blasio gives a storm briefing at 10:45 a.m.
• It’s the last day of Fashion Week. Our colleagues at the On the Runway blog take a peek.
•“Masters of Fire: Copper Age Art from Israel” opens at N.Y.U.’s Institute for the Study of the Ancient World on the Upper East Side.
IN THE NEWS
• Mayor de Blasio’s first budget calls for a modest increase in city spending, much of it for education, public housing, homeless services and paid sick leave for workers.
• Derek Jeter will hang up his spikes after this season.
• Time Warner is being acquired by Comcast for $45 billion.
• Candy and other junk food have returned to a vending machine machine in City Hall after it was banned during the Bloomberg era..
Add your comments below
|O.J. Simpson up for parole nine years into sent...||18 min||Trump Plotza||43|
|hoosier hillbilly (Sep '12)||45 min||Crystal_Clear722||2,438|
|Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11)||47 min||Nemesis||221,490|
|A to Z songs by title or group! (Dec '16)||1 hr||BLouise||1,953|
|What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08)||1 hr||CJ Rocker||218,790|
|***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10)||1 hr||Junket||83,793|
|Post "any three words" (Sep '12)||1 hr||Princess Hey||4,262|
|El's Kitchen (Feb '09)||1 hr||Ohio Sam aka SNAF...||76,039|
|How's your weather today? (Mar '12)||2 hr||Bad Bex||6,297|
|What Turns You Off?||2 hr||Bad Bex||557|
|Denny Crain's Place (May '10)||3 hr||SGHarleyhoney||22,892|
Find what you want!
Search Weird Forum Now
Copyright © 2017 Topix LLC