Trying to survive

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#133 May 20, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I think this is all a game....notice he only replys to those that don't regard his irresponsibility?.....
I truly think he gets off on the sympathy thing.

“Heading into Autumn”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

#134 May 20, 2013
Isn't it ad shame and .. a pity that some people are so
quick to jump to a conclusion and make a judgment,
instead of trying to understand.

If VT sounds a bit negative in some posts,
can you blame her?
maybe it comes from rough living, losing heart
from trying: trying: and trying again with ill health and broken promises..etc.

how true the old saying

"Please don't judge til you've walked a mile in
my shoes"

El's heart is in the right place, no doubt about it.
Vick Torre

Newark, NJ

#135 May 20, 2013
ShadyBits wrote:
There are plenty of people on SSI who seem to be surviving off it just fine. My own mother (and my aunt) included.
Mom's rent:$330 (lot rent, she bought a 1 bedroom trailer for $1,000 & we helped her fix it up, that was & has been our only contribution other than every once in a while buying her a bottle or two of pepsi -which seems to be her vice),
Her utilities:$125 (in the winter, less in the summer).
That leaves her $500 for food & stuffs. A little over $100/week. She manages. Why can't you?
Because you require eating out daily and have bad money management skills. That's why.
Quitcherbitching. Learn the difference between wants & needs. You can't afford what you want, but you can afford what you need. Problem is you want what you want and chances are you're not going to change. Reality is you can't afford a fancy apartment and to eat out every day. It's keeping you in the poor house and rather than change you come here and complain for pity.
(And if I sound gruff, I'm sorry but you need a reality check. BTW- it really pi$$es me off that you put down people on meds for mental issues. They may be mental but there's no need to put them down for being on meds to help their condition...I doubt they'd want to room with you any more than you want to room with them. Ya big jerk.)
Yeah, I know lots of people are on disability. That's who I seek here. Not the likes of you. Cheapest rents here-$605/month. Ulitilies-$167/ month,phone $55/ month. 678 remaining = 21/day. To pay town taxes,home insurance well beyond my income. So a studio apt around here-$605/ month leaves 295 = 9.51/day. Not including utilities ( electric). Now do you get why I seek advice on surviving? Have no family left to help me with moving or fixing up a cheap place. Then rent goes up each year more than COLA. Not hard to fiqure out my position.

Level 7

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#136 May 20, 2013
Or,,,,,If it walks and quacks, like a duck.....
Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#137 May 20, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
Isn't it ad shame and .. a pity that some people are so
quick to jump to a conclusion and make a judgment,
instead of trying to understand.
If VT sounds a bit negative in some posts,
can you blame her?
maybe it comes from rough living, losing heart
from trying: trying: and trying again with ill health and broken promises..etc.
how true the old saying
"Please don't judge til you've walked a mile in
my shoes"
El's heart is in the right place, no doubt about it.
You can think with your heart. I'll use my brain.

I don't have to walk in anyone's shoes. I've seen this shyte with my own eyes all too often. It's more often than not (way more often than not) laziness, looking around for someone else to improve your life for you, aiming really low in life, and poor decision making (often times a combination of all these things) that causes folks to be in this situation in the first place.

People such as that dig themselves such a hole, and since they had the character traits that caused them to get in that hole in the first place, they all too often are unwilling to do the hard work it's going to take to get out of that situation.

Instead of feeling sorry for folks and making excuses for them, it's better to be honest with them about what it is going to take and what caused it in the first place.
Vick Torre

Newark, NJ

#138 May 20, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
Isn't it ad shame and .. a pity that some people are so
quick to jump to a conclusion and make a judgment,
instead of trying to understand.
If VT sounds a bit negative in some posts,
can you blame her?
maybe it comes from rough living, losing heart
from trying: trying: and trying again with ill health and broken promises..etc.
how true the old saying
"Please don't judge til you've walked a mile in
my shoes"
El's heart is in the right place, no doubt about it.
Hi! And thanks. How heartless they are. They mist likly never had to go through drastic events. Not asking anyones money and don't want it. Got to make it on what income I have. Why I applied to low cost housing. If I don't make it by what I have and a little help from some agency then I go down. Right here in my file cabinet are the documents to show for proof from doctors and lawyers of my physical ills. Went on S.S. at age 45. Worked hard to have a nice. Now I live the ecact way I worked to avoid. Life happens that way. No guarantees to a nice retirement years. I won't survive homeless because of physical ailments. That's how serious this is. The vultures flutter about forums looking for prey. And they are here. Took care of my mother is mostly why I stopped for that year of looking. Her other sons did nothing to help. I did it all. Took so mych of my time to run our lives. My mother wanted to fie in her home. Because she woukd wake me at all hourd of the night,going only by naps. No full night sleep for months. I had to be alert enough to give the correct meds at specified times. Then handle her buisness and mine. Housework to. I got so worn out that the Mercy Health Care personal that came to this home 3 times a week seen I was worn out and removed her to the hospice facility and died there 3 days later. Had her other 2 sons and grandsons helpef with her needs would have given me the rest I needed and she would have gotten her wish to die in her home. I gave up much to be the caretaker. Now I ask for some guidance/suggestions here and look at the negetive jwrks swooning down!

“Heading into Autumn”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

#139 May 20, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You can think with your heart. I'll use my brain.
I don't have to walk in anyone's shoes. I've seen this shyte with my own eyes all too often. It's more often than not (way more often than not) laziness, looking around for someone else to improve your life for you, aiming really low in life, and poor decision making (often times a combination of all these things) that causes folks to be in this situation in the first place.
People such as that dig themselves such a hole, and since they had the character traits that caused them to get in that hole in the first place, they all too often are unwilling to do the hard work it's going to take to get out of that situation.
Instead of feeling sorry for folks and making excuses for them, it's better to be honest with them about what it is going to take and what caused it in the first place.
I might be older,
but my brain is running in all cylinders(:

You are still making an assessment..
without knowing the person personally
about whom you are making a judgment -
and that is 'my' point:

We can all generalize and rattle off statistics..
Vick Torre

Newark, NJ

#140 May 20, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You can think with your heart. I'll use my brain.
I don't have to walk in anyone's shoes. I've seen this shyte with my own eyes all too often. It's more often than not (way more often than not) laziness, looking around for someone else to improve your life for you, aiming really low in life, and poor decision making (often times a combination of all these things) that causes folks to be in this situation in the first place.
People such as that dig themselves such a hole, and since they had the character traits that caused them to get in that hole in the first place, they all too often are unwilling to do the hard work it's going to take to get out of that situation.
Instead of feeling sorry for folks and making excuses for them, it's better to be honest with them about what it is going to take and what caused it in the first place.
I worked long and hard for years. Laid off from a job I loved. The management overspent a contract with the school district. Had meetings aming staff over it. Was either cut back on workers or company loose contract. 15 of us laid off. Had a job with the township. Nepotism took over. 8 of us laid off. Worked 5 years at a machine shop. Learning the skills for it to. Job lost buisness and closed down. Just while the physical difficulties occurred. Still worked. Always got a job when one was lost. Worked part time. Physical problems got worse. Had the tests done and confirmed. Then on S.S.. I put into S.S. as anyone does. It's an insurance program for things like that. And by buying food and paying utilities goes back into the economy. Therefore still contributing. What do you say about seniors then? They to a liability because they no longer can work?
Vick Torre

Newark, NJ

#141 May 20, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I think this is all a game....notice he only replys to those that don't regard his irresponsibility?.....
You don't notice me replying to you and those like you? It's there for all to see. Obviously you lie.
Vick Torre

Newark, NJ

#142 May 20, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Or,,,,,If it walks and quacks, like a duck.....
Then why not go with your flocking friends to some pond?

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#143 May 20, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
I might be older,
but my brain is running in all cylinders(:
You are still making an assessment..
without knowing the person personally
about whom you are making a judgment -
and that is 'my' point:
We can all generalize and rattle off statistics..
But Grace - you are guilty of doing the same thing - making an assessment without knowing the person personally. And I've got to tell you - if you indeed know this "person," then why not offer help yourself? We've been down this road before - there is no reason on the entire planet to ever believe this "person" is genuine.

If you believe 1% of 1% of what is posted on the internet - you're believing way too much.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#144 May 20, 2013
And "he/she" is posting from a computer again - notice the ISP location^^^

***nudge, nudge, wink, wink***

“Heading into Autumn”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

#145 May 20, 2013
milwaukee69 wrote:
<quoted text>
But Grace - you are guilty of doing the same thing - making an assessment without knowing the person personally. And I've got to tell you - if you indeed know this "person," then why not offer help yourself? We've been down this road before - there is no reason on the entire planet to ever believe this "person" is genuine.
If you believe 1% of 1% of what is posted on the internet - you're believing way too much.
That's true too,
and equally no reason to find this person dis-ingenuine:

I don't know the poster personally,
but noticed she didn't ask for money
or charity, only advise,
as humans we ought to be there for
each other, in so far as we can.

a little understanding and
a listening ear goes a

l o n g way.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#146 May 20, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
That's true too,
and equally no reason to find this person dis-ingenuine:
I don't know the poster personally,
but noticed she didn't ask for money
or charity, only advise,
as humans we ought to be there for
each other, in so far as we can.
a little understanding and
a listening ear goes a
l o n g way.
Two words - Munchausen Syndrome.
Vick Torre

Newark, NJ

#147 May 20, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
I might be older,
but my brain is running in all cylinders(:
You are still making an assessment..
without knowing the person personally
about whom you are making a judgment -
and that is 'my' point:
We can all generalize and rattle off statistics..
That they do. Assuming knowledge of my entire life from a few days. Even when giving stats on basically what happened. This is my life at stake! Just asking for those in similar positions as to what they done,gone through. What is their problem? I have the proof of my physical state. Social security not just going to accept disability by say so. One has to prove it. Medical exames/ tests and setups by doctors S.S. appoints to avoid fraudulent claims. I passed all of it. Why I got disability. Because I went on it at age 45, not as much monthly payments as those who get it at age 65. And they know that, the doubters. That 900/ month is all I have. No pension, no 402k. I have to fill out every year S.S. form to continue to receive it and reqiures a doctors letter to send in. Physical determination done, evaluations done. Don't need or want medical evaluations from non doctors over a website. Thank you so much for standing up for me! I had that nice life of having a good income. Had an apartment of my own in 1990. Had a car,credit card and happy with that life and miss that life. All came crashing down when this physical junk happened. Not poor decisions that brought me to my current status.
Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#148 May 20, 2013
Vick Torre wrote:
<quoted text> I worked long and hard for years. Laid off from a job I loved. The management overspent a contract with the school district. Had meetings aming staff over it. Was either cut back on workers or company loose contract. 15 of us laid off. Had a job with the township. Nepotism took over. 8 of us laid off. Worked 5 years at a machine shop. Learning the skills for it to. Job lost buisness and closed down. Just while the physical difficulties occurred. Still worked. Always got a job when one was lost. Worked part time. Physical problems got worse. Had the tests done and confirmed. Then on S.S.. I put into S.S. as anyone does. It's an insurance program for things like that. And by buying food and paying utilities goes back into the economy. Therefore still contributing. What do you say about seniors then? They to a liability because they no longer can work?
It is an insurance program, but it is not designed to provide for a nice quality of life, if that is all you are relying on. When you were much younger and healthy, what type of life did you think a SS check without any other money saved or assets would provide you? Did you think about what type of situation you would be in? Did you plan for retirement? You worked all those years and you didnt own a house and didnt have any retirement savings?

I have nothing against senior citizens. I just dont have a lot of sympathy for folks who complain about how hard it is to live off of SS, when for much of their working lives, they never gave much of a thought to what kind of retirement they would have if they only lived off of SS. The first thing anyone working should do is pay themselves and set aside a portion of their money for retirement and learn to live with what is left. SS doesnt provide for a high quality of life, even if you own your own home. Its really incumbent upon individuals to know this and understand this. Its your life. You need to take charge of it.

The equivalent of about 20%-25% of my take home pay is put away in retirement annually. I sure would have no problem spending that money today, however. It takes sacrifice, foresight, and discipline to save.

The bottom line is you need to take the initiative. You need to do what you have to do to maximize your dollars. For example, Id sure as heck get out of Baltimore, if I were you. Certainly there are places in this country with a lower cost of living. Call whoever you have to call. Look into whatever programs you have to look into. You cant wait or expect someone to come do it for you. That's just reality.

I do wish you the best of luck.
Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#149 May 20, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
I might be older,
but my brain is running in all cylinders(:
You are still making an assessment..
without knowing the person personally
about whom you are making a judgment -
and that is 'my' point:
We can all generalize and rattle off statistics..
I've seen it all to often ... folks blowing money on beer and cigarettes and what have you while they are working, and not saving anything for retirement or even thinking much about it or what will happen to them. I grew up in a mostly blue collar town. I've seen a lot of poor decision making. I've seen guys who work and go to bars every day after work (my folks used to own a tavern).

I've also seen folks who saved as much money as they possibly could, worked 50-60 hours a week (sometimes more)(guys in the trades working side jobs every weekend), sometimes two jobs, forgone most luxuries and vacations, made wise choices in life, and wonder why they get stuck paying for folks who made poor choices in life.

People think of red America as being nothing but a bunch of ignorant red necks, but there are a lot of good hard working people there. They'll also more often than not bend over backwards to help a person in need, but they don't like being taken advantage of and they kinda expect ya to put your best foot forward, behave responsibly, not aggravate your situation, use some sense, and put in the effort. Some of the best people in this country come from those areas.
Vick Torre

Newark, NJ

#150 May 20, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
That's true too,
and equally no reason to find this person dis-ingenuine:
I don't know the poster personally,
but noticed she didn't ask for money
or charity, only advise,
as humans we ought to be there for
each other, in so far as we can.
a little understanding and
a listening ear goes a
l o n g way.
Correct. That's all I ask. Advice/ guidance. I won't accept money from people. The rent asisstance I applied for does'nt hand over cash. Pays directly to landlord. And only partial payment through state agencies. About 1/3 payment on rent. The rest is up to the applicant. All I seek is a studio apt. Don't want a big place, don't have a lot to take with me and a small place I can keep clean.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#152 May 20, 2013
US cities with the lowest cost of living:
1. Fort Smith, Arkansas
2. McAllen, Texas
3. Pueblo, Colorado
4. Springfield, Illinois
5. Louisville, Kentucky

US cities with the highest cost of living:
10. Orange County CA
9. Truckee-Nevada County, CA
8. Washington DC
7. Stamford, CT
6. San Jose, CA
5. New York (Queens), NY
4. San Francisco, CA
3. Honolulu, HI
2. New York (Brooklyn), NY
1. New York (Manhattan), NY

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#153 May 20, 2013
I lived in Newnan, GA for over 5 years. The studio I rented in my last year there was $250. The COL down there was about 60-75% of what the rest of the country was at the time.

If you plan on retiring on $900 a month - make sure you choose somewhere in the Sahara desert.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 4 min Deez--Nuts 13,314
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 min Chimney1 173,500
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 5 min Joe 4,408
Just start naming actors and actresses (Sep '11) 5 min Mega Monster 3,070
Poll So much for no typo's 16 min loservilla 0
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 20 min Hot 98 18,652
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 26 min streetglidehoney 43,481
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 1 hr CommUnique 29,702
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr Camilla 169,322
Poll How many SOCKS do you have? 3 hr Footwear Note 10
More from around the web