El's Kitchen

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Since: Jul 10

Rowlett Tx

#19819 Dec 15, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
While road runner's last comment was uncalled for, I will agree to disagree with you. If someone wants to shoot up a school or church they will and all you can do is shoot the shooter. Meanwhile, people will still be dead. Conceal carry laws are absurd and do nothing to stop or prevent violent crime.
We are each entitled to an opinion. Name calling is not necessary.
All I want is a fighting chance :)Instead of 20 people being killed the number will be much smaller if someone is shooting back at them

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#19820 Dec 15, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
Do we really want an America where all the citizens can walk around anytime into any place bearing an assault weapon?
A real assault weapon is used by the military and is fully automatic. What Clinton called assault weapons were all semi auto. One trigger pull one shot. It was all about the way a gun looked and not the way it worked. I have 8 pistols and 2 of them are glocks. The point is these crazy shooter always go to where it is unlikely that someone else will be armed. Many lives have been saved and crimes prevented by armed citizens. I carry a gun every day and will probably never need it. I have had two people come in my house in the middle of the night and the fact that I had a gun sent them running :)

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#19821 Dec 15, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
As has been said, more guns would create more chaos and injury and death. The fact that no one gets killed at a gun show is a ludicrous argument ....IMHO.
More guns do not create chaos. The Swiss require everyone to be in the Militia. They all have FULL AUTOMATIC weapons in their homes. A citizen is required every year to prove proficient with the real assault weapon. Guns are illegal in Mexico yet they have a very high murder rate. In America blacks murder 8 times more often than whites. 40 per 100,000 and whites 5 per 100,000. England also kills about 5 per 100,000 and they don't have guns.

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#19822 Dec 15, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
That is not a rhetorical question. I hope for serious answers.
If you want one in your home, that's your business; to go out in public NO that's not a US I want and I doubt it's what the forefathers anticipated when drafting the 2nd Amendment
That is exactly what the founders wanted. A well armed people and no large standing army. Title 10 says everyone is in the militia age 21 to 40. If you have previous experience in the army you are in the militia till age 65. I feel much safer knowing people with no criminal record are armed like I am when I go out in public. I don't want only the criminals to be armed ! You meet the most polite people in gun shows :)

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#19823 Dec 15, 2012
PFfff wrote:
i find it amazing with this recent tragedy that people will still continue to argue over an object that is and always was - meant to be used for killing. there is NO getting around that fact.
whether its used for sport, for protection or simply thought of as a "right" does not take away the real meaning of what it is used for - so that another real tragedy is the fact that a society feels the need for a gun and that a person will actually pull the trigger to end a life.
there are no second chances and once it is done u cant go back to change it.
so, IMO if we do nothing to change the laws with ownership, we are digging our own graves. because the way it stands now, its simply not working out.
and sadly too many people have paid the price for it..
I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6 :) I have a right to defend my life. Being armed may have saved my life and those in my family when 2 men broke in my house. The majority of the states now have concealed carry laws. Those state that don't also have more crime! I mean is you are a criminal are you going to mug a guy you think may be armed? I would say in Texas there are more armed citizens than non armed. The state MUST issue you a carry license if you are not a felon or had a mental illness. That law was passed after a mass shooting in a cafeteria. The law was sponsored by a woman who survived that shooting and had a gun in her car she could not bring inside with her

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#19824 Dec 15, 2012
PFfff wrote:
i find it amazing with this recent tragedy that people will still continue to argue over an object that is and always was - meant to be used for killing. there is NO getting around that fact.
whether its used for sport, for protection or simply thought of as a "right" does not take away the real meaning of what it is used for - so that another real tragedy is the fact that a society feels the need for a gun and that a person will actually pull the trigger to end a life.
so, IMO if we do nothing to change the laws with ownership, we are digging our own graves. because the way it stands now, its simply not working out.
The cops carry a gun. Is it only meant to kill? Do they carry a gun to keep someone from killing others? Does a cop have a greater right to defend his life than a citizen? It illegal for a felon to own a gun. Does that prevent them from having a gun? If only criminals are armed will they feel safer in using a gun to kill others? Think about these questions please

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#19825 Dec 15, 2012
Texas have about 500,000 people with carry permits. We have about 24 million people and about 51 million guns

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#19826 Dec 15, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>All I want is a fighting chance :)Instead of 20 people being killed the number will be much smaller if someone is shooting back at them
That's why I said you & I may disagree on the topic, but name calling is not necessary.

You certainly must admit the Pffff and I are correct in pointing out that guns are made for one purpose and one purpose only-to kill something. IMO hunting is sport when you are bow hunting - some level of skill must be involved. Where is the skill or sport when using a military grade automatic weapon that shoots15-30 rounds?

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#19827 Dec 15, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>A real assault weapon is used by the military and is fully automatic. What Clinton called assault weapons were all semi auto. One trigger pull one shot. It was all about the way a gun looked and not the way it worked. I have 8 pistols and 2 of them are glocks. The point is these crazy shooter always go to where it is unlikely that someone else will be armed. Many lives have been saved and crimes prevented by armed citizens. I carry a gun every day and will probably never need it. I have had two people come in my house in the middle of the night and the fact that I had a gun sent them running :)
The difference is "in your house". Personally I don't want you coming anywhere near me with a loaded gun and I don't want people walking around in public with them. You can say it will minimize the loss of life but there will still be unnecessary loss of life.....and how many more injured in the chaos?

I realize that the site below is likely a gun control advocacy site and therefore lacking in integrity to gun owners, but the incidence of violence by guns in the home and accidental shootings is high.

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdgaga.ht...

In 1980 my 20 year old cousin was shot and killed by his older brother. The antique gun his older just bought 'wasn't loaded' but the gun went off, ricocheted and hit the 20 year old in the head causing immediate brain damage. He died at the hospital.

These were not children, they were not playing, and the gun was not supposed to be loaded. More bad than good comes with guns and more people end up injured or killed. The bullet went through the older brother's hand before hitting the 20 year old.

You want to hunt. That's your business. You want to defend your home. That's your business. But in public my rights and my safety are my business and I don't want the American citizenry walking around armed. It is not a Constitutional right. What about my Constitutional rights? As far as I know you are a law enforcement person or active military. What about my right to "life, liberty & the pursuit of happiness"? Knowing the average person is walking with a gun does not make me feel safe or comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#19828 Dec 15, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>That is exactly what the founders wanted. A well armed people and no large standing army. Title 10 says everyone is in the militia age 21 to 40. If you have previous experience in the army you are in the militia till age 65. I feel much safer knowing people with no criminal record are armed like I am when I go out in public. I don't want only the criminals to be armed ! You meet the most polite people in gun shows :)
Unfortunately we both know that it's not "the polite people at gun shows" who go off armed to the teeth shooting up malls, movie theaters and grade schools, although I'm willing to bet some whack jobs attend gun shows.

And the neo nazis, whit supremacists & David Koresh type folks are hardly people who one would define as 'polite'.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#19829 Dec 15, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
Texas have about 500,000 people with carry permits. We have about 24 million people and about 51 million guns
Every Texan has a rifle in the back of pick up too, doesn't he?
;-)

“Happiness is a warm gun”

Since: Nov 09

Hey Bungalow Bill, waddya kill

#19830 Dec 15, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
All little white Italian lights lining Michigan Avenue.
I can do without the snow until the 24th & 25th... then melt on the 26th.
For a little while .... "It's the most wonderful time of the year!"

:-)

#19831 Dec 15, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
I guess you have heard about the terrible shooting of children at a school. In Texas it was illegal to carry a gun in church until a gunman walked in and shot several people. We changed the law to make it legal to carry a gun in church and there were no more church shootings. These murders happen at school because they are gun free. No one is armed. You will never here of a mass shooting at a gun show because everyone is armed
"These murders happen at school because they are gun free. No one is armed. " ... Well, from the shootings in schools in the past, there are communities that do have police officers in schools -- armed?, I don't know but it's a possibility. Up to now that hasn't been a priority or even a significant concern for ELEMENTARY schools -- but it will be.

"You will never here of a mass shooting at a gun show because everyone is armed."

Ah... gun shows. Realistically,around this big country, these can't be uniformly run with consistent effectiveness for safety, security, and proper diligence. Humans are who they are.

Google about accidental shootings at gun shows. Of course, if you go out or get severely wounded at one I guess it's good from doing something you love.

I wonder how many gun shows around the country are willing to provide the venue to non-dealer sellers? Some states haven't closed the gun-show loophole to mandate a 48 hour waiting period involving a sale. That dude in Wisconsin who blew away people at that beauty salon bought a gun at a gun show the day before. And it's my understanding that guns that he had before, he had to turn in as part of the divorce/separation/restraining order (whichever applies). It was his ex and other he blew away.

And humans being what they are ... "You will never here of a mass shooting at a gun show because everyone is armed" This smug cowboy-ism you oft repeat will someday be dispelled by some whackjob and/or "bad blood" from some argument or feud.

#19832 Dec 15, 2012
roadrunner 7 wrote:
<quoted text>
As usual, your opinions make people stop and think.
What an idiot you are.
Aw, he's pretty harmless really,'E'.

Tho' if ... I ever have a the urge to go "Wyatt Earp" to clean up Offbeat gangdom, and it must be a showdown at the Topix OK Corral, I'd want that Val Kilmer-Doc Holiday and armament at my side.

#19833 Dec 15, 2012
Grace Nerissa wrote:
A sad day indeed, in the aftermath,
of such a terrible tragedy, shock waves resonating across the world.
What can be said that will help. Little ..
The damage,sadly is done.
Our deepest thoughts are with the bereaved.
Good Morning, all here.
Yes,{{{Grace}}}... little. Words are inadequate.

#19834 Dec 15, 2012
PFfff wrote:
Amen.

And so much of the price is the youngest (including previous tragedies), the most precious and innocent as borne out of yesterday's senselessness.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#19835 Dec 15, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>For a little while .... "It's the most wonderful time of the year!"

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#19836 Dec 15, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why I said you & I may disagree on the topic, but name calling is not necessary.
You certainly must admit the Pffff and I are correct in pointing out that guns are made for one purpose and one purpose only-to kill something. IMO hunting is sport when you are bow hunting - some level of skill must be involved. Where is the skill or sport when using a military grade automatic weapon that shoots15-30 rounds?
That is what you don't understand Mighty Quinn. The weapon used in the shooting is not a military grade automatic weapon. It was a semi-auto just like many deer rifles. Weapons that have magazines of about 15 rounds go back to the 1870s

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#19837 Dec 15, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference is "in your house". Personally I don't want you coming anywhere near me with a loaded gun and I don't want people walking around in public with them. You can say it will minimize the loss of life but there will still be unnecessary loss of life.....and how many more injured in the chaos?
I realize that the site below is likely a gun control advocacy site and therefore lacking in integrity to gun owners, but the incidence of violence by guns in the home and accidental shootings is high.
http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdgaga.ht...
In 1980 my 20 year old cousin was shot and killed by his older brother. The antique gun his older just bought 'wasn't loaded' but the gun went off, ricocheted and hit the 20 year old in the head causing immediate brain damage. He died at the hospital.
These were not children, they were not playing, and the gun was not supposed to be loaded. More bad than good comes with guns and more people end up injured or killed. The bullet went through the older brother's hand before hitting the 20 year old.
You want to hunt. That's your business. You want to defend your home. That's your business. But in public my rights and my safety are my business and I don't want the American citizenry walking around armed. It is not a Constitutional right. What about my Constitutional rights? As far as I know you are a law enforcement person or active military. What about my right to "life, liberty & the pursuit of happiness"? Knowing the average person is walking with a gun does not make me feel safe or comfortable.
Sent from my iPhone
I don't recall what state you are in but nearly all states have legal carry. People all around you are walking around with concealed guns and you just don't know it because they are concealed. 49 states have carry laws

“Grab all the good”

Level 5

Rowlett Tx

#19838 Dec 15, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Every Texan has a rifle in the back of pick up too, doesn't he?
;-)
When I was a kid you saw that a lot but I haven't seen a gun rack in a truck in years :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 3 min Sue 3,260
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 4 min A Soldier 211,503
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 4 min honeymylove 149,543
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 16 min Ms Sassy 1,396
Who Are You Missing Today? (Feb '12) 29 min Suezanne 392
What Turns You Off? 32 min Suezanne 399
What is your weakness? (Jan '14) 37 min Suezanne 434
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 1 hr _Susan_ 20,938
More from around the web