El's Kitchen

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#19653 Dec 7, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
It's incredibly sad, a mother of two, a highly regarded nurse.
She was not rebuked by her employers and was given all the support after she was taken in by the pranksters. They must feel particularly bad about the whole thing, when after all, it was just a joke which misfired.
It is bound to have some impact on the Royal couple.
I cannot percieve what must have been going through this nurse's mind that she should take her own life.
Sad, sad ...very sad development. News is that radio hosts have been told not to come to work until further notice.

With some exceptions allowing for the relationships of parties involved, and nature of the prank, I'm not a keen fan of practical jokes. Not at all.

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#19654 Dec 7, 2012
Knowing/recognizing that 1939 up through and beyond the Blitz is very dear to folks on the Auld Sod Isles:

This day, Friday December 7 is the 71st anniversary of the 1941 Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor, Hawaii moving Americans off our collective arses to enter the War.

For this side of the Atlantic, "The Day That Will Live In Infamy" [FDR]
To do what all needed to be done by all of the Allies.

Good evening/good morning Kitchen-eers! Golden slumbers wished.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#19655 Dec 7, 2012
Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>It took me years to understand "normal" after what I had endured!
My heart to ALL the civilians that supported their military, the REAL 12th man!!
Certainly makes getting all upset cause someone cut you off on the freeway seem pretty trivial.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#19656 Dec 7, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>Was that a 'rank' situation then Quincy...not sure if pilots must
be officers in the USAF. They were actually on suicide missions
half the time....the strain must have been tremendous.
Army soldiers did the ground work of course, heartbreaking to think
of what they all went through.
Might have been a 'rank' situation. The older of the two was the Airforce pilot and perhaps an officer, I don't know. The younger if the two was the Army grunt.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Southampton, UK

#19657 Dec 8, 2012
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Very thought provoking post,
with a 100 ways of looking at it.
Yes,I agree about the uniqueness of the
cyber world, and one of the other strange aspects is,
if one has NO idea
of what a poster looks like [they might use a cartoon figure
for avatar pic, for example] but strangely 'we' will put a 'face'
on that person ourselves, we won't respond to just 'a post'
until we have turned it into some kind of person.
Is that just me or is it universal?
and isn't it strange too how we act[ generally speaking]
to criticism, from someone we never met or will meet! lol!
Would be interesting to hear further comments to your
interesting post Tony.
I think it's a natural human reaction to personify a poster: for me it depends on how regularly I post with an individual as to whether I do. I certainly don't do it for trolls! Does lead to some amusing mistakes - just found out someone I've exchanged posts with for a while is female not male (she made reference to her husband in a post)! I use my real face, but I can understand why many do not.

As with any non-verbal communication (and some verbal!), misunderstanding can occur. We post very swiftly (or I do at times) which can mean we don't express what we mean to write (and make typos). Thus, we can appear more critcal than we mean to be, or a comment is seen as a criticism when it is not meant in that way. In some cases, posters use language that in the RW, they would not consider saying to someone's face - the anonimity of the keyboard has much for which it should answer. All pretty obvious I guess, but thought I'd chuck in my ten pennyworth.

See you all in six days if I haven't turned into an iceberg on the water!

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Southampton, UK

#19658 Dec 8, 2012
Oh goodie, I'm not in Christchurch according to my avatar. Hear it's a nice place - much more pleasant than Southampton, Northampton, Bedford, Kettering and the other places Topix has had me located!

“My latest victim”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#19659 Dec 8, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
She's adorable...I thought she was a 'she'...how old is she?
I can see she has a lovely personality and nature in her little
face.
The last dog I had was a tiny Yorkie weighing in at five pounds.
She was an adult when we rescued her from a breeder, and older than we were told she was. She brought us a lot of joy.
Just cats now, our eldest is 16 yrs. 4 months, he is a British Shorthair Silver Tabby, his best pal is Ginger Bailey, aged 15, we brought him home from the shelter where we used to help out, 14 and half years ago.
The baby of the cat family is Rosie Probert, she is a blue and cream tortie, with white socks, she is very knowing at two and half years of age.
My grandaughter said 'you love the cats more than us'...that is nonsense of course!
Glad you joined us NM...:)
Hello El,

Ninja Princess Warrior is 2 years old. Her birthday was in October. She has a wardrobe and the girls will sometimes paint her nails. Lol.

We also have birds and cats.

My cat, Elijah, moved to my eldest daughter's apartment with her. He is long hair, black and white. He understands much of what we say. It is scary.

Another cat is some inbred thing off a farm. Her name is Bucca. She looks like a white siamese or something. Creams, whites, and some light greyish brown. She is sweet and sour. Lol. She'll come to you for attention, act as though she can't get enough, then turn around and bite you. She has crazy blue eyes.

Kimberly wants two yorkies. I tease her and tell her I will call them Peppermint and Patty, as in York Peppermint Patty. She gets so mad. Poor kid. Gotta put up with me.

I love kids and pets.

It's nice to stop by and chat. Enjoy your day.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#19660 Dec 8, 2012
Good morning all who visit this Kitchen. El the crew's getting bigger and I planned another build out after the holidays to accommodate the wonderful crowd.

As is tradition in Chicago, the Joffrey Ballet company is performing the Nutcracker. We're going to see it this afternoon. I love it and don't know how many I've seen it. The Russian Ballet Company is also in town performing ---- now that would be a fabulous interpretation!

A blessed Hanukkah filled with goodness and light and peace to any and all diners who celebrate.

Have a splendid weekend All!!
:-)

“Maytime”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

#19661 Dec 8, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's a natural human reaction to personify a poster: for me it depends on how regularly I post with an individual as to whether I do. I certainly don't do it for trolls! Does lead to some amusing mistakes - just found out someone I've exchanged posts with for a while is female not male (she made reference to her husband in a post)! I use my real face, but I can understand why many do not.
As with any non-verbal communication (and some verbal!), misunderstanding can occur. We post very swiftly (or I do at times) which can mean we don't express what we mean to write (and make typos). Thus, we can appear more critcal than we mean to be, or a comment is seen as a criticism when it is not meant in that way. In some cases, posters use language that in the RW, they would not consider saying to someone's face - the anonimity of the keyboard has much for which it should answer. All pretty obvious I guess, but thought I'd chuck in my ten pennyworth.
See you all in six days if I haven't turned into an iceberg on the water!
That is SO true, Tony,
sometimes [as we know]
a thing said accompanied with the wink of an eye can
change a would be insult into a joke in seconds,
lots of things missed out in cyberland,
I have had a few harsh criticisms when a joke was
obviously meant LOL!

but then, can't win 'em all!

good luck tony & don't get stuck in the ice!

“Maytime”

Level 8

#19662 Dec 8, 2012
Firstly Good 'Afternoon'all!

Won't name anyone for fear of leaving
a name out ..
but GREETINGS to all who write here.

In reference to the ROYAL prank which
has gone all around the world in shock waves,
dreadful turn of events,
dono' what else was involved, apart from details
splashed all over the news, but it strikes me
that something else was at play,
for an unfortunate lady to take her life;
after all SHE wasn't responsible nor did she
set the ball rolling.

About these pranks, and by coincidence,
my son mailed me this link last week,
we were both swopping notes about it,
on the one hand it IS very funny [I found]
and well thought out,
by I remarked to my son that they'd need to be
careful who they are playing with, as, someone
with a weak heart might drop down dead..
he agreed..

See what you folks think,
and the men in it were as scared as the females!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#19663 Dec 8, 2012
NeverMissed wrote:
<quoted text>Hello El,

Ninja Princess Warrior is 2 years old. Her birthday was in October. She has a wardrobe and the girls will sometimes paint her nails. Lol.

My cat, Elijah, moved to my eldest daughter's apartment with her. He is long hair, black and white. He understands much of what we say. It is scary.

Another cat is some inbred thing off a farm. Her name is Bucca. She looks like a white siamese or something. Creams, whites, and some light greyish brown. She is sweet and sour. Lol. She'll come to you for attention, act as though she can't get enough, then turn around and bite you. She has crazy blue eyes.

Kimberly wants two yorkies. I tease her and tell her I will call them Peppermint and Patty, as in York Peppermint Patty. She gets so mad. Poor kid. Gotta put up with me.

I love kids and pets.

LOVE the pup in your avatar!! Too cute :-)

“Maytime”

Level 8

#19664 Dec 8, 2012
El,
Wanted to say,
Looking forward to X FACTOR final tonight
and [I think] concluding tomorrow night..
Wonder if you'll be watching, I know
you said you were returning to it..

Whatever way it goes,
it is a splendid nail biting show.
KUDOS to all concerned, it has to be said,
they have simply kept us entertained for WEEEKS!

i have the log fire on..
as bottle o wine at the ready and 'GO'-----

I happen to like the final 3 contenders

Would LOVE to see Jahmene win..
I think the young man is extraordinary, by all standards,
such a versatile singer..

and a *real gent* to boot..

I love how he worked in Aldi's
makes it a kind of CINDERELLA story..

Not that there's anything wrong in

WORKING AT ALDI'S!!!

but, with a talent like he has,
I'm glad someone 'found' him.

May the best man win..

but my flag is flying high for JAHMENE,
when I heard him singing this >
link below, it filled my eyes with
tears of pure admiration.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#19665 Dec 8, 2012
Grace Nerissa wrote:
El,
Wanted to say,

Whatever way it goes,

i have the log fire on..

WORKING AT ALDI'S!!!

May the best man win..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =WLu1fi5FeOYXX
Aldi's like the grocery store??

“My latest victim”

Location hidden

#19666 Dec 8, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOVE the pup in your avatar!! Too cute :-)
Thank you. She is a lovable little creature.

Enjoy your weekend.

:)

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#19667 Dec 8, 2012
NeverMissed wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello El,
I love kids and pets.
'Afternoon NM..although late evening here.
I did enjoy hearing about your pets, love the names they have too,
can visualise them by your description...must confess I used to paint my French Poodles nails too, they were a miniature and a toy, jet black, I put scarlet ribbons in their hair and matching nail varnish. lol They travelled to the USA with me, considering I went there to stay.
Hope Kimberly gets her Yorkies one day...cute names you have lined up for them...:)
Bucca sounds a character, I have one like her, our Rosie blows hot and cold, you know they say cats give you 'cupboard love'..I never saw it before until Rosie, she is sweet as can be meal times, can be really wild other times...her dad has to be the feral who hung around for a while.
Elijah sounds adorable.
Great to talk pets...hope your day is going well.

Location hidden

#19668 Dec 8, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
Good morning all who visit this Kitchen. El the crew's getting bigger and I planned another build out after the holidays to accommodate the wonderful crowd.
As is tradition in Chicago, the Joffrey Ballet company is performing the Nutcracker. We're going to see it this afternoon. I love it and don't know how many I've seen it. The Russian Ballet Company is also in town performing ---- now that would be a fabulous interpretation!
A blessed Hanukkah filled with goodness and light and peace to any and all diners who celebrate.
Have a splendid weekend All!!
:-)
'Afternoon Quincy..really nice to see you. So...we could extend
at the back, a conservatory would be nice, it's South facing too so we would have the sun all day long, wicker furniture with deep
cushions, what d'ya think?
How was the ballet? Oh, imagine that, The Russian Ballet Co performing The Nutcracker, my all time favourite, that would be perfect. Let us know how you enjoyed it. Always something of interest going on in the entertainment world in Chicago, I know that from the newsletter I receive.
Have a great weekend, enjoy the rest....:)

Location hidden

#19669 Dec 8, 2012
Grace Nerissa wrote:
El,
Wanted to say,
Whatever way it goes,
i have the log fire on..
WORKING AT ALDI'S!!!
May the best man win..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =WLu1fi5FeOYXX
Evening Grace....just finished watching X-Factor...how on
earth do you choose, I really really like all three contestants,
I agree with you about Jahmene in that he is very gentlemanly
interesting to see him in his home surrounding, including the
church as well...and going back to Asda...I liked the second
song he did with Nicole better than his first one...
I have a soft spot for Christopher....really like his style...a good entertainer too..
But it was James moved me most withn his voice. Something about him, and I love his 'gravelly sound'...
Whoever of the three is chosen is absolutely fine with me..having now watched the show,rather than snippets of it, I believe the judges know precisely what they are talking about!!! I have a new regard for Louis tonight for what it's worth.

“My latest victim”

Location hidden

#19670 Dec 8, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Easy to take her for a walk too -- leave coat unzipped a bit, pop her in, leave her head sticking out .... life's good!:)
I think she has an excellent life and I hope somehow that her previous mom knows.

I'm not sure how aware you are when you leave.

Sorry I missed this one.

“My latest victim”

Location hidden

#19671 Dec 8, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
'Afternoon NM..although late evening here.
I did enjoy hearing about your pets, love the names they have too,
can visualise them by your description...must confess I used to paint my French Poodles nails too, they were a miniature and a toy, jet black, I put scarlet ribbons in their hair and matching nail varnish. lol They travelled to the USA with me, considering I went there to stay.
Hope Kimberly gets her Yorkies one day...cute names you have lined up for them...:)
Bucca sounds a character, I have one like her, our Rosie blows hot and cold, you know they say cats give you 'cupboard love'..I never saw it before until Rosie, she is sweet as can be meal times, can be really wild other times...her dad has to be the feral who hung around for a while.
Elijah sounds adorable.
Great to talk pets...hope your day is going well.
Pets do add something to life.

When Kimberly was young and a terror we had fish tanks. She loved them. They had a calming effect.

It is around 6:00 pm here. I work again tomorrow. I love this job. A top notch group of woman. And one happy, friendly man. They are a pleasure to work with. Something I needed right now. I don't see me leaving this job.

I'll write more in a minute. Dogs barking.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#19672 Dec 8, 2012
NeverMissed wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you. She is a lovable little creature.

Enjoy your weekend.

:)
You too Never Missed!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min Blitzking 168,618
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 3 min ms_Sweeter 165,173
Word Association (Jun '10) 6 min wichita-rick 28,065
" Tell me a secret"...... (Oct '14) 14 min CJ Rocker 312
____ ANTICHRIST ID'd on the world stage ____ 32 min greymouser 3
Word association (Jun '07) 45 min andet1987 3,011
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 47 min andet1987 32,318
Answer a question with a question 1 hr greymouser 225
News Heads Roll After Pilots Let Playmate Fly a Plane 2 hr andet1987 8
News For sale: Former prison with mountain view, sle... 2 hr Fundie Concernd B... 4
News Teen Leads Mob In Ransacking Of Georgia Walmart 2 hr Fundie Concernd B... 11
More from around the web