“Scotland The Brave”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

#19510 Dec 4, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't begin to imagine. I also can't fathom how someone can live though that or a soldier in a war zone and then go home to 'normal' whatever normal was.
I only recall being told of my two uncles, one in the Airforce the other in the Army. The pilot was treated like royalty while his brother the army soldier was emancipated and ragged. They actually happened to cross paths in India and did not even recognize one another.
Thank you for sharing.
Was that a 'rank' situation then Quincy...not sure if pilots must
be officers in the USAF. They were actually on suicide missions
half the time....the strain must have been tremendous.
Army soldiers did the ground work of course, heartbreaking to think
of what they all went through.

“September”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#19511 Dec 4, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
I hadn't known any other manner of living, so it was just the norm
to me, nobody told me there was a war on. lol Too young to understand. It was all a game. I do remember my grandma refusing to leave her bed and go into the shelter one night, and saying 'if I am going to be killed, I will die in my own bed'....I think I remember that, or maybe it was hearsay.
I was shielded from everything. I do remember like it was yesterday, a neighbour approaching my Nan as we were going round to the shop, and commiserating with her on the fact that two of her sons were missing in action. My Nan thanked her quietly and said 'not in front of the child'..but kids hear all. Thankfully my two uncles returned home. Glad to hear yours did also.
Always humour in any situation....Peter's dad was a keen gardener, one night a bomb hit his greenhouse shattering it...his reaction..he immediately joined up, joined the Marines. He was a father of two at the time and far as I know, excempt from call-up.
I recall similar,

I remember 'safe houses' the Irish hiding their 'own'
from THE BLACK & TANS
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/black_an...

all a long time ago..
but leaving a bitter taste,
which probably is better off laid buried..

This old story still simmers to this very day!
always like 'threading upon thin ice.'

Even last night there was trouble in Belfast..>>

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/northe...

My own opinion about this is

they shoud STOP trying to stir up trouble
about a dern flag!

knowing from experience how volatile

and.. WHERE
things like that can lead..

kind of

'let sleeping dogs lie'

I think!

Level 4

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#19512 Dec 4, 2012
Coffee please.
Groucho aka falcon68

Dearborn, MI

#19513 Dec 4, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, always. Greetings Falcon. We've exchanged before in "days of yore". Likely I was "Slow Hand Luke" or maybe another profile. Please refresh my memory pertaining to Falcon: American or Aussie variety?
I love them both, actually... If you know both, then the XR and XT look pretty much like the US 1966-69 variety. One of these days I shall own an aussie XB... it's a Mad Max thing...
Groucho aka falcon68

Dearborn, MI

#19514 Dec 4, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
I meant to say up above, Neil Diamond was appearing at his first Royal Variety performance amazingly....
not amazingly he addressed the Queen, lol
The Graham Norton Show 'twas Falcon, indeedydoodi
EEEEK! England and Wales have been drawn to
play each other in the Rugby World Cup.....
England having just beaten the All Blacks 38-21..
Since being laid up with the knee, and all that, I've been able to watch more and more of the Beeb... Top Gear, Hammond's Crash course, Graham Norton... I've been watching "The Hour", and how the telly was strictly regulated back in the day. I also like the UK version of Law and Order... you get to see the UK court system in action, reminiscent of Rumpole of the Bailey, well, sort of. For older British shows, it's PBS in these parts, I always get a laugh out of Hyacinth of "Keeping up appearences"....I also catch Ab Fab every once in a while. I'll have to check on availability of "Are you being served?" on DVD, as I rarely see it anymore... and "Fawlty Towers"...
Groucho aka falcon68

Dearborn, MI

#19515 Dec 4, 2012
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
I recall similar,
from THE BLACK & TANS
all a long time ago..
about a dern flag!
and.. WHERE
kind of
'let sleeping dogs lie'
I think!
Good day My dear Grace! Join me in a cuppa? Excellent point... Why dig up something moot?

“Scotland The Brave”

Manchester, UK

#19516 Dec 4, 2012
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
I recall similar,
from THE BLACK & TANS
all a long time ago..
about a dern flag!
and.. WHERE
kind of
'let sleeping dogs lie'
I think!
A slight difference Grace, with all due respect. I responded to
interest in what was a war involving the world, hence WW11, my own personal recollections, I was talking about hundreds of enemy aircraft droning overhead, bombing cities, it would have to be heard to be believed. Being brought up in darkness as no lights
had to be shown from windows after daylight hours.
I am not minimising any of the problems relating to Ireland, quite the opposite, but you yourself didn't live through those times, and that is what I was responding to.
It is gratifying to learn that the atrocities committed by the said
Black and Tans so repelled any decent minded Briton, that it helped bring about a more peaceful time.

"However, many of the atrocities popularly attributed to the Black and Tans may have been committed by the Auxiliary Division; and some were committed by Irish RIC men. For instance, Tomás Mac Curtain, the Mayor of Cork, was assassinated in March 1920 by local RIC men and the massacre of 13 civilians at Croke Park on Bloody Sunday was also carried out by the RIC although a small detachment of Auxiliaries were also present. However, most Republicans did not make a distinction, and "Black and Tans" was often used as a catch-all term for all police and army groups.
The actions of the Black and Tans alienated public opinion in both Ireland and Great Britain. Their violent tactics encouraged both sides to move towards a peaceful resolution. Edward Wood MP, better known as the future Foreign Secretary Lord Halifax, rejected force and urged the British government to make an offer to the Irish "conceived on the most generous lines".[6] Sir John Simon MP, another future Foreign Secretary, was also horrified at the tactics being used. Lionel Curtis, writing in the imperialist journal The Round Table, wrote: "If the British Commonwealth can only be preserved by such means, it would become a negation of the principle for which it has stood".[7] The King, senior Anglican bishops, MPs from the Liberal and Labour parties, Oswald Mosley, Jan Smuts, the Trades Union Congress and parts of the press were increasingly critical of the actions of the Black and Tans. Mahatma Gandhi said of the British peace offer: "It is not fear of losing more lives that has compelled a reluctant offer from England but it is the shame of any further imposition of agony upon a people that loves liberty above everything else".[8]"

“Scotland The Brave”

Manchester, UK

#19517 Dec 4, 2012
Groucho aka falcon68 wrote:
<quoted text>Since being laid up with the knee, and all that, I've been able to watch more and more of the Beeb... Top Gear, Hammond's Crash course, Graham Norton... I've been watching "The Hour", and how the telly was strictly regulated back in the day. I also like the UK version of Law and Order... you get to see the UK court system in action, reminiscent of Rumpole of the Bailey, well, sort of. For older British shows, it's PBS in these parts, I always get a laugh out of Hyacinth of "Keeping up appearences"....I also catch Ab Fab every once in a while. I'll have to check on availability of "Are you being served?" on DVD, as I rarely see it anymore... and "Fawlty Towers"...
Glad to hear that you got the knee surgery done Falcon,
just the one knee? You will be glad in time you went for it.
I do love the Graham Norton show, he has the most interesting guests, it's a funny old world though, here am I watching American
shows and our home grown ones are popular over there.
I could watch Fawlty Towers series all over again, never fails to
amuse.

“Scotland The Brave”

Manchester, UK

#19518 Dec 4, 2012
Enjoyed 'Skyfall' immensely, it was very well
done. Made a pleasant day out.
Reeling from the cost of popcorn and coke...
did without rather than pay the price they
charge, had a cup of tea and a fairy cake
when we came out of the cinema, risk of sounding mean.

“Truth and perspective informs”

Since: Nov 09

against BS

#19519 Dec 4, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
Economically wise option you did ... after the movie. Same in our cinemas for popcorn and coke, a big take of the wallet.

Glad you enjoyed the film and the day out, dear El!

against BS

#19520 Dec 4, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>use the blowing function on the vacuum cleaner?
Doh! That oughta work. Thanks for the tip, Franko.

against BS

#19521 Dec 4, 2012
Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>
A small vacuum or the stuff you clean your computer keyboard with.
Thanks Boom. It's going to be a tedious task and seems the vacuum is the tool for the job.

against BS

#19522 Dec 4, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't begin to imagine. I also can't fathom how someone can live though that or a soldier in a war zone and then go home to 'normal' whatever normal was.
I only recall being told of my two uncles, one in the Airforce the other in the Army. The pilot was treated like royalty while his brother the army soldier was emancipated and ragged. They actually happened to cross paths in India and did not even recognize one another.
Thank you for sharing.
Were your uncles in WWII?

If so, "the greatest generation" by and large did come back to "normal life". So many didn't talk about much of it, not until years later anyway.

For your aunts or whoever to tell you about your uncles, it may have been a result of years of hearing piece-by-piece what your uncles had to tell.

I remember my dad talking about WWII to his contemporaries in town in my whippersnapper presence ... to a point. Sure don't know how much more he told when I (and brother) wasn't around. He did belong to American Legion and VFW, but I can't really remember how regular he was in attending meetings or socializing, not many likely because we didn't live where the buildings were.

Later, and later... we had SOME talk about WWII but not a lot. There were still distance factors -- in miles and personal.

against BS

#19523 Dec 4, 2012
Groucho aka falcon68 wrote:
<quoted text>I love them both, actually... If you know both, then the XR and XT look pretty much like the US 1966-69 variety. One of these days I shall own an aussie XB... it's a Mad Max thing...
Ah! No, I am only slightly aware of Aussie racing Falcons not the production model distinctions of them.

against BS

#19524 Dec 4, 2012
Alrighty then, Kitchen-eers! Give Wednesday a good go, come what may.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

A little hole in the wall.

#19525 Dec 4, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
EL ... that was honest, not mean ... the fact is that the theatres do indeed rake us over the coals as far as price of food and drink .... how else will they pay those $20 million wages of the actors?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

A little hole in the wall.

#19526 Dec 4, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Doh! That oughta work. Thanks for the tip, Franko.
thought I'd save you the trouble of blowing with your breath ... you could pop an aneurism trying that on an entire tree.

“Scotland The Brave”

Manchester, UK

#19527 Dec 5, 2012
Silly me...the Saint's name I mentioned earlier
is not Llandwyn...that's the name of the island,
she herself was called Dwynwen....so much easier
to pronounce! This is one of my favourite places to visit, worth a read if you are interested.

http://www.anglesey-history.co.uk/places/llan...

Happy Hump Day all patrons of the kitchen.

“Scotland The Brave”

Manchester, UK

#19528 Dec 5, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Economically wise option you did ... after the movie. Same in our cinemas for popcorn and coke, a big take of the wallet.
Glad you enjoyed the film and the day out, dear El!
Thanks Dear Luke. We had a mad chase along the A55 to get there
on time, and of course there is always something to slow one down,
one of the lanes was shut due to road works, fortunately
P is able to put his foot down, too much so, lol, got there with five minutes to spare. You can imagine my delight when the opening scenes of the movie were of a car chase! Got into it
after about 15 minutes and enjoyed it eventually.
Thinking back to when growing up, we had four cinemas within walking distance, my uncle took me to the cinema, or the pictures as we called it, every Friday night, stopping at the sweet shop
on the way. Happy times.
I take it you lived quite rural growing up?

“Scotland The Brave”

Manchester, UK

#19529 Dec 5, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>EL ... that was honest, not mean ... the fact is that the theatres do indeed rake us over the coals as far as price of food and drink .... how else will they pay those $20 million wages of the actors?
I know....seven pounds ninety five for a bag of popcorn and
a coke, not even keen on coke, it's daylight robbery!
I noticed the lady on one side of me had taken in her own,
she surrepticiously took a drink throughout the movie...not
that I was watching, lol. Actually, she and her partner
were most kind, they had the end seats and moved up the row
to make it easier for P and did so cheerfully. Nice people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
30,000 post wins (May '13) 5 min Concerned_American 1,888
Funny!! Word association game. (Nov '13) 6 min Nobody 2 Special 1,724
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 7 min honeymylove 137,770
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 7 min ---Word Woman--- 21,256
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 8 min Rose of Tralee 6,340
I spoke with GOD 14 min Bree_Z 22
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 16 min ChromiuMan 117,295
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 38 min Times are a Changing 147,583
Official: Oklahoma beheading suspect a bit 'weird' 1 hr Grace Nerissa 28
Cows Really Don't Like Cowbells, Study Finds 4 hr Go Blue Forever 45

Weird People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE