El's Kitchen

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#19497 Dec 3, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>Not your fault, lol. I installed a firewall and since then it has been downhill.

Not only your links are enjoyed Cuz Luke, but your company.....

Pitch black here now, but a clear sky and an almost full moon...in for a frosty night. Cosy enough indoors, am about to start dinner now, or tea as we called it in Lancashire. We were late in getting a tv period, all the girls at school would be singing the jingles...except for me...awwww! Any big events we would listen to on the radio, or in the case of when I was on the telly, we watched at a neighbours...highly embarrassing! haha

Have a nice weekend Cuz Luke...

Nice weekend Everyone....stay safe.
hi El I am in Dumas Tx on Pheasant hunt with my friends. It was70 today. Last time I was here it was 0 degrees

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#19498 Dec 3, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
Flood damage here, am assisting in repairing a
garden shed roof, correction, replacing a garden
shed roof. Have called in the cavalry, one's
son should be here soon...:) Hoping to get it done
before the snow arrives.

Quincy...finally got the camera repaired, if only I can delete what is on the card I can take the
pics of the Toby Jugs. I have downloaded the
instructins off the net, but nothing to say how to delete.(Samsung DV90)

Franko...about Brits allowing foreigners in top positions. It came to me this a.m., The Royal Family!!!!

Vee....got your p.m could not open the e-mail..
Blub about not being on youtube....woulda loved to see it myself.

Flower....hope this finds you much much better by now.

Just got a leaflet through the door to letting me
know about...Casglu dilliad o'r pafin...by my reckoning that meas a kerbside clothes collection...ho do I know? it is wrapped round a blue plastic bag with a pic of two men collecting..

Back to the grind...
Good luck with the roof!
:-)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#19499 Dec 3, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>If you would settle for a friend telling you.....I can tell you
lots about those war years.

I can tell you of a two year old toddler hiding under the oak
dining table when the air-raid sirens sounded, warning of
enemy aircraft approaching.

I can tell you of my uncle, home on leave from his naval duties
on the convoys transporting war supplies to Russia, taking me
to see the Italian Prisoners of War who were working locally,
and my giving them bits of my chocolate he had brought home,
through the fence.

Of my new baby brother born in a grand hotel in Blackpool where
my mother was evacuated for safety purposes.

Taking for granted being woken in the middle of the night, being
put into my 'Mickey Mouse' gas mask, carried outside and hurriedly
placed in the underground (Anderson) shelter.(All good fun!)

Fortunately spared the knowledge that there was a war going on around me.
I can't begin to imagine. I also can't fathom how someone can live though that or a soldier in a war zone and then go home to 'normal' whatever normal was.

I only recall being told of my two uncles, one in the Airforce the other in the Army. The pilot was treated like royalty while his brother the army soldier was emancipated and ragged. They actually happened to cross paths in India and did not even recognize one another.

Thank you for sharing.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#19500 Dec 3, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
Cuz El and Cuz Quinny ... beautiful serene seasonal scenes you both are sporting in your avatar pics. Hastening things along ?!:)
Ya gotta admit 70 degrees on Dec 3 was just wrong! That was the temp here today!!

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

#19501 Dec 3, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>I can't begin to imagine. I also can't fathom how someone can live though that or a soldier in a war zone and then go home to 'normal' whatever normal was.

I only recall being told of my two uncles, one in the Airforce the other in the Army. The pilot was treated like royalty while his brother the army soldier was emancipated and ragged. They actually happened to cross paths in India and did not even recognize one another.

Thank you for sharing.
It took me years to understand "normal" after what I had endured!
My heart to ALL the civilians that supported their military, the REAL 12th man!!

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#19502 Dec 3, 2012
WHEW!!! Am bushed from Mall shopping.. I need to plop myself down on a beanbag chair with a vanilla latte' and a slice of Mocha cake....loooons YUMMY...EL..thanks for making US feel WELCOME..

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#19503 Dec 3, 2012
Groucho aka falcon68 wrote:
<quoted text>Good day to you too, Franko... How's things in the 'northern parts'?
cold wet and miserable .. thanks for asking .. LOL!!!!! But truly, can't complain too much ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#19504 Dec 3, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi PFfff ... I dabbled with my faux tree this weekend. I think it needs a dusting too!
How does one dust the plastic needles of a faux tree????
use the blowing function on the vacuum cleaner?

“Cool huh?”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#19505 Dec 4, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
For Tuesday,{{{ Cuz Eleanor }}} Cheerio
I hope you viewed a royal good show.
I guess Prince Harry is demoted a slot in the heir hierarchy upon the arrival of the new Prince or Princess! Saw this evening that Kate is about 12 weeks along and the beans were spilled (though there were rumors by eagle-eyeing her recent habits) because of extreme morning sickness causing Prince William to drive her to hospital.
Good Tuesday morning {{{Cuz Luke}}}...
We really enjoyed the Royal Command Variety Show....some good
acts on, including Rod Stewart, a wonderful singer along the lines of Whitney Houston, and also representing America was Neil Diamond, his first Royal Variety appearance amazingly, he addressed a message to the Queen, telling her he hoped she has many more years on the throne and that 'we love you in America'...that was nice. You are right, Prince Harry will be demoted to 4th in line once the baby is born, no matter whether
a boy or a child (as they say in Ireland...thanks Grace) he/she will be thrid in line to the throne.
They are now wondering what the baby will be named if it is a girl,
Elizabeth being one guess, Diana..another favourite choice, however
as Will and Kate live on Anglesey (Ynys Mon) it is thought that she should have a Welsh name, there is a little island close by where they live which is named after a saint, I believe off the top of my head it is called Llandwyn, pronounced THLAN-DOO-IN
it is the island of lovers. It's a beautiful place, hauntingly so.
Pity that Kate is suffering with morning sickness, it is actually a little bit worse than that, and can last all day for a few months, learnt this only this morning as the news on the tv is full of it!
Have a lovely day Cuz.

“Cool huh?”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#19506 Dec 4, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't begin to imagine. I also can't fathom how someone can live though that or a soldier in a war zone and then go home to 'normal' whatever normal was.
I only recall being told of my two uncles, one in the Airforce the other in the Army. The pilot was treated like royalty while his brother the army soldier was emancipated and ragged. They actually happened to cross paths in India and did not even recognize one another.
Thank you for sharing.
I hadn't known any other manner of living, so it was just the norm
to me, nobody told me there was a war on. lol Too young to understand. It was all a game. I do remember my grandma refusing to leave her bed and go into the shelter one night, and saying 'if I am going to be killed, I will die in my own bed'....I think I remember that, or maybe it was hearsay.
I was shielded from everything. I do remember like it was yesterday, a neighbour approaching my Nan as we were going round to the shop, and commiserating with her on the fact that two of her sons were missing in action. My Nan thanked her quietly and said 'not in front of the child'..but kids hear all. Thankfully my two uncles returned home. Glad to hear yours did also.
Always humour in any situation....Peter's dad was a keen gardener, one night a bomb hit his greenhouse shattering it...his reaction..he immediately joined up, joined the Marines. He was a father of two at the time and far as I know, excempt from call-up.

“Cool huh?”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#19507 Dec 4, 2012
Colorado Chick wrote:
WHEW!!! Am bushed from Mall shopping.. I need to plop myself down on a beanbag chair with a vanilla latte' and a slice of Mocha cake....loooons YUMMY...EL..thanks for making US feel WELCOME..
You must be exhausted! Come and sit down and share this Mocha cake (how did you know, lol) with me, can you taste the added
ingredient I put a tot of Kahlua in there for that unique flavour!
Always fantastic to see you hear dear CC. Hey, ROCK ON!

Being a rocker you would have loved Rod at the Royal Variety
show last night, he looked and sounded fantastic, sang
a very nice version of When You Wish Upon A Star......

“Cool huh?”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#19508 Dec 4, 2012
I meant to say up above, Neil Diamond was appearing at his first Royal Variety performance amazingly....

not amazingly he addressed the Queen, lol

The Graham Norton Show 'twas Falcon, indeedydoodi

EEEEK! England and Wales have been drawn to
play each other in the Rugby World Cup.....
England having just beaten the All Blacks 38-21..

“Cool huh?”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#19509 Dec 4, 2012
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>
hi El I am in Dumas Tx on Pheasant hunt with my friends. It was70 today. Last time I was here it was 0 degrees
Hi Denny...now don't go forgetting the Kitchen when you bag
those Pheasants.....I will have the pot ready.
This sounds choice, but one time I noticed the car in front had glanced off a Pheasant and killed it. I got out (country road) and put it in a bag in the boot.
Hung it for four days.
Cooked it...for the cats would you believe.
I confess I tasted a tiny piece and it was good. Never had
it since.
They are running around all over the place near hear...and we
avoid them like the plague so as not to harm them!

“Cool huh?”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#19510 Dec 4, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't begin to imagine. I also can't fathom how someone can live though that or a soldier in a war zone and then go home to 'normal' whatever normal was.
I only recall being told of my two uncles, one in the Airforce the other in the Army. The pilot was treated like royalty while his brother the army soldier was emancipated and ragged. They actually happened to cross paths in India and did not even recognize one another.
Thank you for sharing.
Was that a 'rank' situation then Quincy...not sure if pilots must
be officers in the USAF. They were actually on suicide missions
half the time....the strain must have been tremendous.
Army soldiers did the ground work of course, heartbreaking to think
of what they all went through.

“Towards Spring”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#19511 Dec 4, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
I hadn't known any other manner of living, so it was just the norm
to me, nobody told me there was a war on. lol Too young to understand. It was all a game. I do remember my grandma refusing to leave her bed and go into the shelter one night, and saying 'if I am going to be killed, I will die in my own bed'....I think I remember that, or maybe it was hearsay.
I was shielded from everything. I do remember like it was yesterday, a neighbour approaching my Nan as we were going round to the shop, and commiserating with her on the fact that two of her sons were missing in action. My Nan thanked her quietly and said 'not in front of the child'..but kids hear all. Thankfully my two uncles returned home. Glad to hear yours did also.
Always humour in any situation....Peter's dad was a keen gardener, one night a bomb hit his greenhouse shattering it...his reaction..he immediately joined up, joined the Marines. He was a father of two at the time and far as I know, excempt from call-up.
I recall similar,

I remember 'safe houses' the Irish hiding their 'own'
from THE BLACK & TANS
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/black_an...

all a long time ago..
but leaving a bitter taste,
which probably is better off laid buried..

This old story still simmers to this very day!
always like 'threading upon thin ice.'

Even last night there was trouble in Belfast..>>

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/northe...

My own opinion about this is

they shoud STOP trying to stir up trouble
about a dern flag!

knowing from experience how volatile

and.. WHERE
things like that can lead..

kind of

'let sleeping dogs lie'

I think!

Level 4

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#19512 Dec 4, 2012
Coffee please.
Groucho aka falcon68

Dearborn, MI

#19513 Dec 4, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, always. Greetings Falcon. We've exchanged before in "days of yore". Likely I was "Slow Hand Luke" or maybe another profile. Please refresh my memory pertaining to Falcon: American or Aussie variety?
I love them both, actually... If you know both, then the XR and XT look pretty much like the US 1966-69 variety. One of these days I shall own an aussie XB... it's a Mad Max thing...
Groucho aka falcon68

Dearborn, MI

#19514 Dec 4, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
I meant to say up above, Neil Diamond was appearing at his first Royal Variety performance amazingly....
not amazingly he addressed the Queen, lol
The Graham Norton Show 'twas Falcon, indeedydoodi
EEEEK! England and Wales have been drawn to
play each other in the Rugby World Cup.....
England having just beaten the All Blacks 38-21..
Since being laid up with the knee, and all that, I've been able to watch more and more of the Beeb... Top Gear, Hammond's Crash course, Graham Norton... I've been watching "The Hour", and how the telly was strictly regulated back in the day. I also like the UK version of Law and Order... you get to see the UK court system in action, reminiscent of Rumpole of the Bailey, well, sort of. For older British shows, it's PBS in these parts, I always get a laugh out of Hyacinth of "Keeping up appearences"....I also catch Ab Fab every once in a while. I'll have to check on availability of "Are you being served?" on DVD, as I rarely see it anymore... and "Fawlty Towers"...
Groucho aka falcon68

Dearborn, MI

#19515 Dec 4, 2012
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
I recall similar,
I remember 'safe houses' the Irish hiding their 'own'
from THE BLACK & TANS
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/black_an...
all a long time ago..
but leaving a bitter taste,
which probably is better off laid buried..
This old story still simmers to this very day!
always like 'threading upon thin ice.'
Even last night there was trouble in Belfast..>>
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/northe...
My own opinion about this is
they shoud STOP trying to stir up trouble
about a dern flag!
knowing from experience how volatile
and.. WHERE
things like that can lead..
kind of
'let sleeping dogs lie'
I think!
Good day My dear Grace! Join me in a cuppa? Excellent point... Why dig up something moot?

“Cool huh?”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#19516 Dec 4, 2012
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
I recall similar,
I remember 'safe houses' the Irish hiding their 'own'
from THE BLACK & TANS
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/black_an...
all a long time ago..
but leaving a bitter taste,
which probably is better off laid buried..
This old story still simmers to this very day!
always like 'threading upon thin ice.'
Even last night there was trouble in Belfast..>>
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/northe...
My own opinion about this is
they shoud STOP trying to stir up trouble
about a dern flag!
knowing from experience how volatile
and.. WHERE
things like that can lead..
kind of
'let sleeping dogs lie'
I think!
A slight difference Grace, with all due respect. I responded to
interest in what was a war involving the world, hence WW11, my own personal recollections, I was talking about hundreds of enemy aircraft droning overhead, bombing cities, it would have to be heard to be believed. Being brought up in darkness as no lights
had to be shown from windows after daylight hours.
I am not minimising any of the problems relating to Ireland, quite the opposite, but you yourself didn't live through those times, and that is what I was responding to.
It is gratifying to learn that the atrocities committed by the said
Black and Tans so repelled any decent minded Briton, that it helped bring about a more peaceful time.

"However, many of the atrocities popularly attributed to the Black and Tans may have been committed by the Auxiliary Division; and some were committed by Irish RIC men. For instance, Tomás Mac Curtain, the Mayor of Cork, was assassinated in March 1920 by local RIC men and the massacre of 13 civilians at Croke Park on Bloody Sunday was also carried out by the RIC although a small detachment of Auxiliaries were also present. However, most Republicans did not make a distinction, and "Black and Tans" was often used as a catch-all term for all police and army groups.
The actions of the Black and Tans alienated public opinion in both Ireland and Great Britain. Their violent tactics encouraged both sides to move towards a peaceful resolution. Edward Wood MP, better known as the future Foreign Secretary Lord Halifax, rejected force and urged the British government to make an offer to the Irish "conceived on the most generous lines".[6] Sir John Simon MP, another future Foreign Secretary, was also horrified at the tactics being used. Lionel Curtis, writing in the imperialist journal The Round Table, wrote: "If the British Commonwealth can only be preserved by such means, it would become a negation of the principle for which it has stood".[7] The King, senior Anglican bishops, MPs from the Liberal and Labour parties, Oswald Mosley, Jan Smuts, the Trades Union Congress and parts of the press were increasingly critical of the actions of the Black and Tans. Mahatma Gandhi said of the British peace offer: "It is not fear of losing more lives that has compelled a reluctant offer from England but it is the shame of any further imposition of agony upon a people that loves liberty above everything else".[8]"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 13 min The Finny 4,097
News Ben & Jerry's 'no-same-flavor' rule implemented... 27 min Frogface Kate 10
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 31 min Fish_sticks 21,931
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 32 min Rose_NoHo 37,861
Word Association (Mar '10) 33 min xxxooxxx 22,213
Add a Word remove a Word (Oct '13) 36 min xxxooxxx 5,112
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 38 min xxxooxxx 23,780
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 39 min KellyP in Jersey 217,246
A to Z songs by title or group! 4 hr T Bone 1,827
More from around the web