El's Kitchen

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#19194 Nov 26, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Cheers PP - we haven't had a problem - aside from the drive back yesterday when we had to divert as part of the road was washed away! We're lucky - although we have a gorgeous view overlooking the river, we are up above it by about 300 feet, so no difficulty with flooding. Little local villages suffered flash floods - the problem with Cornwall is that quite a few are built at the bottom of sttep-sided valleys as they began life as fishing villages. When we get heavy prolonged rain, a torrent can develop. Here's a couple of links from previous floods, one in Lynmouth in the 1950s, one from Boscastle in 2004:
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =SxweiRNlHboXX
Lynmouth is actually in North Devon, but the topography is the same.
my ex wife grew up in a small town just near the Bay of fundy where they have the highest tides in the world .. usualy around 45 feet, sometimes over 50 feet.....

The town itself has an area of several acres that is above sea level during low tide but below sea level at high tide ... in 1962 the dikes were overflowed by an exceptionally high tide ... I saw film footage of water nearly up to the second floor window of many houses ....with people in rowboats checking on whoever was trapped to get them to dry land ...

SInce then they added 6 feet height to those dikes ...

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#19195 Nov 26, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>when yuo think about it ... the least they can do is let in 5 at a time at a controlled rate (5 SECOND INTERVALS) so the folk can disperse through the store in an organized manner.
That would be the responsible thing. If you cause the mayhem you should control the crowd.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#19196 Nov 26, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>The most expensive at a re-sale site according to BBC News last night was £37,000! Madness to my mind, but guess they expect someone will pay it. Not sure I can see the point of paying that much to watch a bunch of OAPs, however good they once were.
Are you joking?!? That's like $60,000 US! The word crazy comes to mind again but I suppose there will be those who will spend it.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#19197 Nov 26, 2012
Concerned_American wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Tony, good to see you again. I've seen alot of mark up in the re-sale price of tickets but not that bad, however I was not trying to buy a top of the line ticket. I went to Chicage and tried to buy a Chicago Cubs Baseball ticket. If I remember right they wanted about $150 per ticket. I told the guy I didn't want to "buy the team" just watch a game, and I walked off.
Good Answer!!:-)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#19198 Nov 26, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>Hi CA, good to see you. We have the same problem with tickets for international rugby matches: what once cost less than £1 when I was a lad are now over £400 per game. Part of the problem is that corporate money for entertaining has pushed up the price of tickets. I now watch it on TV - I am neither willing nor able to pay those sort of prices to go to the match, especially when you factor in travelling up to London from the West Country.
You can often see more action on the TV than live.

“Happy Birthday”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

#19199 Nov 26, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
You can often see more action on the TV than live.
Butting in here

[and.. Good afternoon El.. everyone]

I agree, not only with regard to sporting events
but other occasions too,
one can watch on TV & enjoy, more comfortably
in the confines of one's home home

[Jeez! I'm beginning to sound like the Queen [Ha!] >

'I would have thought ONE would
feel more relaxed in ONE's own home' ha ha!

but you know what I mean..lol!

“Happy Birthday”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

#19200 Nov 26, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Gracie ...
I think that there are folks who will do charitable works year round, and there are others that need a little extra incentive to push them to that level ... so if soemone can use something like Christmas as that little bit of extra inspiration to get something from that portion of the population that contributes only once in a wile .. then at least it adds something to the total charitable contributions ...
WHile I dislike the commercialism of some of the holidays, I am not against the efforts to use those occasions to encourage a few good deeds.
Good points Franko,

only thing tho.. the commercialism can be so overdone at Christmas.

I dislike intensely those who wait outside a store to almost
entrap people coming out into giving..

does it ever occur to these people that many
of us might be involved in charitable events where
it is done privately and far away from the public eye.

Still tho'
the bottom line is,
they mean well.

“Happy Birthday”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

#19201 Nov 26, 2012
Paisley_Posey wrote:
<quoted text>I LOVE grocery shopping at 1AM! lol
No crowds, no hurries, friendly staff, friendlier and more talkative shoppers, and they're always restocking what the shelves had run out of, so that they have what you're there for.
I'm an admitted night owl though, and like empty streets too.
HIGH FIVE!!!!

AT LAST! A girl after my own heart!

PP

I remember one Christmas Eve,
as we were going out mid afternoon,

my neighbor, who is a very nice person,
but lives a very ordered life,
no room for ANY spontaneity
[well that's how *she* likes it, and fine by me]

Anyway she told us she was dead weary& completely stressed out
having queued 2 hours in the Supermarket with
lines of people.

'Why didn't you do what we did' I suggested.

'We shopped in the early hours of this day
2:30am!' came home then
and broke open a bottle of fine wine..
went to bed and slept late into the morning..
knowing our job done:

'CRAZY

' she replied.

'You folks are quite nuts'
I hope you dont mind if I say! NO WAY would I
sacrifice my sleeping hours just to go shopping'

I replied

'Hang on a second' YOU are calling Us 'nuts'!

eventho' we shopped in the essence of comfort & peace in the small hours
no frustration : no crowds, none of the stress you encountered
today

Now do a rain-check!'WHO exactly is nuts here, I'd like to know!

She smiled shook her head and went her way..

A sweet neighbour,
we agreed to differ

It's SUCH a gift that we're all made differently.

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

#19202 Nov 26, 2012
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>Good points Franko,

only thing tho.. the commercialism can be so overdone at Christmas.

I dislike intensely those who wait outside a store to almost
entrap people coming out into giving..

does it ever occur to these people that many
of us might be involved in charitable events where
it is done privately and far away from the public eye.

Still tho'
the bottom line is,
they mean well.
I agree!
However, what rubs me is where are the charitable folks in May thru September? The need is still great then. I know from experience after serving in a soup kitchen during those months. Holiday season, people are stepping all over one another; post holiday season, CUE THE CRICKET NOISE!

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#19203 Nov 26, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be the responsible thing. If you cause the mayhem you should control the crowd.
you'd think they would know better after all these years, eh? Have any of these stores been sued when injury or death occured? Have any suits been won?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#19204 Nov 26, 2012
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Good points Franko,
only thing tho.. the commercialism can be so overdone at Christmas.
I dislike intensely those who wait outside a store to almost
entrap people coming out into giving..
does it ever occur to these people that many
of us might be involved in charitable events where
it is done privately and far away from the public eye.
Still tho'
the bottom line is,
they mean well.
I have gotten to the point that I just look down, avoid eye contract and walk by those people a store entrances. If one of them tries to push me, I tell them I already gave at another station.

“Happy Birthday”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

#19205 Nov 26, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I have gotten to the point that I just look down, avoid eye contract and walk by those people a store entrances. If one of them tries to push me, I tell them I already gave at another station.
Yes,

I do a variation on the same theme..
I add:

'Thanks.. but I am already very attentive to 'my own' charities'

“Happy Birthday”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

#19206 Nov 26, 2012
Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree!
However, what rubs me is where are the charitable folks in May thru September? The need is still great then. I know from experience after serving in a soup kitchen during those months. Holiday season, people are stepping all over one another; post holiday season, CUE THE CRICKET NOISE!
That's EXACTLY what I meant a few posts
back when I mentioned what you do now -
WHY all the hype at Christmas in particular?

Others answered that one here.

You & your good lady wife
seem very tuned into helping
the less fortunate.

Well done -

Kudos:

“Daffodil time once more”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#19207 Nov 26, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
You can often see more action on the TV than live.
The only thing ONE misses out on, is the atmosphere. But I agree
with you, let the cameras do all the work, folk must miss a lot
of the action from the venue itself.

“Daffodil time once more”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#19208 Nov 26, 2012
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Butting in here
[and.. Good afternoon El.. everyone]
I agree, not only with regard to sporting events
but other occasions too,
one can watch on TV & enjoy, more comfortably
in the confines of one's home home
[Jeez! I'm beginning to sound like the Queen [Ha!] >
'I would have thought ONE would
feel more relaxed in ONE's own home' ha ha!
but you know what I mean..lol!
LOL Grace.

“Daffodil time once more”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#19209 Nov 26, 2012
Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree!
However, what rubs me is where are the charitable folks in May thru September? The need is still great then. I know from experience after serving in a soup kitchen during those months. Holiday season, people are stepping all over one another; post holiday season, CUE THE CRICKET NOISE!
One of my nieces manages a shelter for the homeless in London.
But I agree, it isn't something one can shake off because it is
the holiday season, I expect it occurrs to people moreso at those
times, that others need help.

“Daffodil time once more”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#19210 Nov 26, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know I could have but fortunately did not. Dad was a violent alcoholic -- I'm aware I would likely have a predisposition toward alcohol as well --- I don't drink, never have, a little on a holiday or my birthday but I've been told that's not even social drinking. Could have gone either way...
I remember you saying. It is bound to leave it's mark, and we tend
to go 'in the other direction'....actually helps us in later years
although granted, a hard way to learn.
It is only recently I have found it in my heart to have pity and
understanding for any 'unpleasantness' in the distant past.

“Daffodil time once more”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#19211 Nov 26, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>((Makes cross sign)) You are forgiven my child!!!
LOL! I actually meant the High Church....

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

London, UK

#19212 Nov 26, 2012
Ye gods and little fishes - I am not a prude, but I am beginning to take great exception to a pop up that topix has flashing up every time I come on here and elsewhere trying to encourage me to have an affair (the Ashley Madison ad). I find it morally reprehensible. Am I old fashioned, or does anyone else agree?

“Daffodil time once more”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#19213 Nov 26, 2012
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes,
I do a variation on the same theme..
I add:
'Thanks.. but I am already very attentive to 'my own' charities'
I hate it too so it sounds a bit hyprocritical when I say...

I was roped into collecting for the RSPCA on a few occasions in the
town centre. It was impressed upon me not to actually speak to the
public. I was in the main pedestrianised shopping street, lots
of holiday makers sauntering by, and may locals also. Not many
crossed the street to donate to my cause, lol, so I headed over to
them, I didn't jangle the box, nothing worse, but I did speak, and
as many had just bought ice-cream and were eating it,(hot day) I
smiled at them and said 'can you spare a little change for hungry
animals'.....

I was told I collected the Lion's Share of the proceeds each time
they set me loose on the street!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Any 3 word combination" (Dec '12) 16 min andet1987 2,035
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter 21 min andet1987 872
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 29 min replaytime 186,887
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 54 min andet1987 33,907
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 57 min F_R_E_D 15,515
White Vinegar 57 min Sublime1 3
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) 58 min F_R_E_D 1,898
News Hills that defy gravity: Explaining the viral (... 3 hr streetglidehoney 13
More from around the web