“near Halloween.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

#18937 Nov 19, 2012
Paisley_Posey wrote:
<quoted text>Grace, you took me there! Thank you for sharing your daydream. Hope you are having a nice Monday.
LOL.. my pleasure.

but,

far more seriously,
we are all waiting *with you*
[breaths with-held] so to speak
for the new arrival..

isn't it a kind of magical time,
the waiting; a sweet anticipation
tinged with JUST the right measurement
of stress! and finally ......

indescribable joy of......
the ARRIVAL.

Fingers x'd AND prayers.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#18938 Nov 19, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just...well, I couldn't see ME in a stovepipe!
Call me selfish.
to but in : I see you as a Money Penny wearing a hat such as she did in a Bond , at the Ascot Races , handsome lady indeed
sad that she finally passed ....

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

#18939 Nov 19, 2012
Paisley_Posey wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for kind wishes! I am feeling MUCH better today. She is at her doctor now, we'll maybe know more in a bit. Her other two siblings are crossing their fingers it's today or at the latest tomorrow. Being the oldest, with a 'super-responsibility complex', her two younger siblings have both commented,
"I'm praying she has it by Tuesday, so she doesn't ruin our Thanksgiving!" LOL! Of course they're only a little serious about that.
Mom-to-be is the assistant director of early child development at a private school here, I'm looking forward to seeing how the 'expert' does with her own baby. Her younger sis has two young children and has tried to warn her that it's much harder than it looks. Her older sis insists she has it in hand, she's ready and it'll be a snap! She's ready to do it all, perfectly, LOL!....I know once the 'freight train' hits her and knocks her for a loop, she'll gather her wits, readjust, and be a great mother.
It'll be fun to see this play out. Like the younger sis said to her,
"You'll be in some sleepless, screaming nightmare and mom will have a huge smile on her face, the whole time."
So very glad to hear you are much better.....isn't that just
like sisters, but haven't they got a point, lol. I was thinking
far better you was poorly this weekend instead of next....:)
So let's see if theory works as well as practice....hope she doesn't realise she is under scrutiny! From us all here in the kitchen as well, hahaha. An exciting time Paise, really look forward to hearing the good news.

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

#18940 Nov 19, 2012
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
to but in : I see you as a Money Penny wearing a hat such as she did in a Bond , at the Ascot Races , handsome lady indeed
sad that she finally passed ....
Isn't that so much more me....glad you see it that way..:)
It had slipped my mind that Miss Moneypenny had passed,'tis
sad, she leaves a pleasant lasting memory.

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#18941 Nov 19, 2012
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.. my pleasure.
but,
far more seriously,
we are all waiting *with you*
[breaths with-held] so to speak
for the new arrival..
isn't it a kind of magical time,
the waiting; a sweet anticipation
tinged with JUST the right measurement
of stress! and finally ......
indescribable joy of......
the ARRIVAL.
Fingers x'd AND prayers.
Oh thank you Grace! I'm so excited I can't see straight. The first grandchild took me by surprise. Of course I knew I would love her, but I never expected the depth of feeling or the depth of the bond that would form. For a year now I've been tremendously enjoying the new bond with my oldest grandchild's little sister, too. So it is with much anticipation that I look to meeting this little fellow!
His mother is a dark-eyed, dark curly-haired beauty who takes after her Italian father's side of the family. Her hubby is a strawberry-blonde, bright blue-eyed Irishman, and I SO wonder who this little boy is going to favor!
So many things I wonder about, and I'm so looking forward! But I really do hope she doesn't go Thursday, for I'm looking forward to the day-long feast of family, love and food that is Thanksgiving to us. We'll be seeing R's family in the late morning and going to my dad's family celebration later on in the afternoon. Then we do it all again Sunday with my mom's family.
It sounds like you've had a time of it lately, dinners out, movies, lovely Autumn walks with your Ali.
Hope you're having a splendid day!

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#18942 Nov 19, 2012
Oh crap! I'm late for a lunch date with my son! I'll have more to say when I get back, not ignoring you, El!
Out!

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#18943 Nov 19, 2012
Paisley_Posey wrote:
<quoted text>Oh thank you Grace! I'm so excited I can't see straight. The first grandchild took me by surprise. Of course I knew I would love her, but I never expected the depth of feeling or the depth of the bond that would form. For a year now I've been tremendously enjoying the new bond with my oldest grandchild's little sister, too. So it is with much anticipation that I look to meeting this little fellow!
His mother is a dark-eyed, dark curly-haired beauty who takes after her Italian father's side of the family. Her hubby is a strawberry-blonde, bright blue-eyed Irishman, and I SO wonder who this little boy is going to favor!
So many things I wonder about, and I'm so looking forward! But I really do hope she doesn't go Thursday, for I'm looking forward to the day-long feast of family, love and food that is Thanksgiving to us. We'll be seeing R's family in the late morning and going to my dad's family celebration later on in the afternoon. Then we do it all again Sunday with my mom's family.
It sounds like you've had a time of it lately, dinners out, movies, lovely Autumn walks with your Ali.
Hope you're having a splendid day!
Congratulations on the new grand-child ... no matter the arrival day!

“My latest victim”

Since: Jul 10

United States

#18944 Nov 19, 2012
Hello. How is everyone?

informs against BS

#18945 Nov 19, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
Happy happy day all Kitchen patrons!
Be safe & well El & Grace. Hope that poor weather passes. Amazing what can happen in a short spell and then it's over.
Here's wishing the folks on this side of the pond a lovely Thanksgiving filled with good food, the love of family and friends, and all else to be thankful for.
Those not celebrating I wish you the same and safe, peaceful holiday season.
Be well & stay well all!
Thanks Quinny! And a fine week for you and being well too!

informs against BS

#18946 Nov 19, 2012
NeverMissed wrote:
Hello. How is everyone?
Doing good here.. and you ?

Hi. Being the 2nd time you've "sneaked" in here while I'm reading back/catching up.

informs against BS

#18947 Nov 19, 2012
PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Deer
always wanted to say that to u..
lol
:)
Good evening PFfff-ter!

and so you did (say that)

:]

informs against BS

#18948 Nov 19, 2012
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Strange you should say, El,
the same here and more gales expected,
altho' last night I was out for a walk with
Ali, it wasn't raining just then but very windy
[we had heavy rain later]
Under amber street lamps,
pale yellow leaves were flying in every direction
and the pathway was carpeted in yellow and red;
as we live higher up,
the winking and twinkling of city lights
in the distance
made a magical backdrop for all this,
It felt like being in a fairytale,
maybe Little Red-riding H(:
and Ali, so easily cast,
as the handsome black wolf with the
pearly snarly teeth! LOL...
'Stop daydreaming Grace, and get on with the day'
Good Day to everyone here.
Good to be a 'high-lander'!

Hope Tuesday will see the gales go 'way, Dear Grace

informs against BS

#18949 Nov 19, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
Good Morning All our Kitchen friends,
been up a while, the weather has been atrocious overnight, had intended going to see 'Skyfall' this afternoon, but 60 mph gales on the coast road...will take a raincheck, thanks.
Nothing in comparison on recent weather in US realise that, but a few trees are down so safer at home methinks.
Have you got the same weather Grace?
The lead up to Thanksgiving, I am giving thanks for such good friends here, and for the roof over my head in todays current clime....
A-l-r-i-g-h-t...tea and toast with marmalade coming up, coffee if you prefer, funny story attached to coffee, buy a jar at Tescos, get 10p a litre off fuel, checked prices elsewhere, actually more expensive at other supermarkets, bought three jars! Get the new car a week tomorrow, so can fill up making quite a saving and enough Nescafe Gold for the Winter months for allcomers!
Have a lovely day everyone.
Toast and tea, or coffee ... great for me. And may be the November gales be gone tomorrow.

Say what?! A new car ... do tell, Cuz El! congratulations on your 'score'!

informs against BS

#18950 Nov 19, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Beautifully described, thanks Luke, there is a similarity between the two obviously.
I would be very interested to know what constitutes Celtic/Irish football....it's the same as English footie surely?
My reading discovers the terms rugby football and association football. For your world, those are shortened to rugby and football. One more commonality between rugby and Amerian football I overlooked is the similar oval-shaped ball, rather than being round. Then, a rugby pitch and American football field have yardage increments marked between the goal lines.

You may throw a yellow card: I mis-spoke of Celtic/Irish. I should have used Gaelic football.

Originally, American football had 'H'-shaped goalposts using a cross-bar between uprights which conform to the shape of those used for rugby and Gaelic football. That's another attachment to the old games. American goalposts have been modified so that there is no lower space under the cross bar that is used, and only one post in the ground. The two uprights arising above the crossbar define the space for field goals and points-after-touchdowns where the ball is kicked through.

The pitch and goal posts for Gaelic football are also used for hurling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaelic_football

There is a separate group and rules for ladies' Gaelic football.

Gaelic football is related to older forms known as caid, according to a link in the article.

informs against BS

#18951 Nov 19, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes indeedy. We have trendy peak caps for the blokes...not to be worn with the peak at the back please...lol...and trendy peak caps for the gals, difference being, the gals are pink. The 'float' covered the cost, so collect one as you come in the door....
and have a great Monday Dear Luke.
Thanks, Cuz.
Hoping you have a great Tuesday, Dear Eleanorigby!

Yes, I wear caps correctly; bill front forward unless it gets in the way during a task, or when traveling in an open-air vessel or vehicle.

“My latest victim”

Since: Jul 10

United States

#18952 Nov 19, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Doing good here.. and you ?
Hi. Being the 2nd time you've "sneaked" in here while I'm reading back/catching up.
I don't seem to have the time as of recent.

I'm good ... hopeful.

Glad to hear you're doing well.

:)

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Blakesley, UK

#18953 Nov 19, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
A pity that the final result cannot be overturned once the video is
viewed at the end of the game. Sadly, present day refereeing throws doubt on the credibility of the game. Can understand the frustration of the players, which then paints the player in a poor light. Highly unfair.
Fortunately in rugby, players keep their mouths shut and get on with the game as we always did, regadless of what we think/thought of the ref. It's the soccer boys who tend to throw their toys out of the pram. I do agree it is a pity about the variable standard, but refs are human and cannot always be perfect.

I always remember Ben Ainslie's first Olympics (when he won the silver medal). The Argentinian used the rules rather than sailing ability to get the gold. Ainslie, when asked why he did not protest, simply said that if he had to resort to that, he'd rather not bother. Of course, he went on to win 4 golds at the next four games, the only man in Olympic sailing history so to do. This Olympics when two teams tried to cheat him out of the medal by falsely protesting him, his reaction? "I'm mad, they should realise it's not wise to make me mad". He went on to win gold! A true sportsman.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Blakesley, UK

#18954 Nov 19, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Beautifully described, thanks Luke, there is a similarity between the two obviously.
I would be very interested to know what constitutes Celtic/Irish football....it's the same as English footie surely?
Gaelic football is different from soccer - more like a cross between it and rugby, but without the gentleness!! Like Aussie rules, it looks an incredibly tough game, fast and exhausting!

Here's a couple of links for you:

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Blakesley, UK

#18955 Nov 19, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
My reading discovers the terms rugby football and association football. For your world, those are shortened to rugby and football. One more commonality between rugby and Amerian football I overlooked is the similar oval-shaped ball, rather than being round. Then, a rugby pitch and American football field have yardage increments marked between the goal lines.
You may throw a yellow card: I mis-spoke of Celtic/Irish. I should have used Gaelic football.
Originally, American football had 'H'-shaped goalposts using a cross-bar between uprights which conform to the shape of those used for rugby and Gaelic football. That's another attachment to the old games. American goalposts have been modified so that there is no lower space under the cross bar that is used, and only one post in the ground. The two uprights arising above the crossbar define the space for field goals and points-after-touchdowns where the ball is kicked through.
The pitch and goal posts for Gaelic football are also used for hurling.
There is a separate group and rules for ladies' Gaelic football.
Gaelic football is related to older forms known as caid, according to a link in the article.
Sorry DW, repeated your information. The biggest difference between US football and rugby is that in rugby, the ball cannot be thrown forwards. Thus, many of the plays in US football would be illegal in rugby. To be frank, we could have uprights like yours in rugby as the area below the crossbar serves little purpose in both games.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#18956 Nov 19, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of like the movie the Titanic
......the ship sank!
Reminds me of the old Polish jokes we told as kids :

WHat happened to the Polish army? He died
What happened to the POlish Navy? It sank.

What happened to the Polish air force? They ran out of rubber bands.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 4 min Old Sam 7,736
Only Three Letter Words - Alphabetically (Jul '11) 8 min Doug77 1,694
What Are You Thinking About Right Now? 11 min ferrerman 13
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 14 min SLY WEST 26,720
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 15 min dirtclod 133,649
Only Three Word (Nov '09) 19 min andet1987 11,634
Name a smell you love to smell! (Jan '14) 23 min andet1987 616
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 23 min SLY WEST 2,988
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 50 min -Lea- 25,829
7 Teens Come Home Pregnant From School Trip 1 hr -Lea- 58