Comments
18,661 - 18,680 of 35,971 Comments Last updated 8 hrs ago

“Poppies. Tower of London”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

#18917 Nov 19, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
Wishing the Kitchen-eers are having a fine Sunday at the back end of this weekend!
Proudly wearing my El's Kitchen tee shirt, but .... are the hats available yet?!
:)
Yes indeedy. We have trendy peak caps for the blokes...not to be worn with the peak at the back please...lol...and trendy peak caps for the gals, difference being, the gals are pink. The 'float' covered the cost, so collect one as you come in the door....
and have a great Monday Dear Luke.

Manchester, UK

#18918 Nov 19, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
A missing post here was mine as I offered an answer to why we Americans call our game 'football'. Topix gave me a warning about offensive, profanity, etc and etc with the reply box but for the life of me I could not fathom why it was objectionable so 'sent' it anyway. They win, of course.
So, another try do I (amended a bit to bypass the censor):
"American football" is technically gridiron football; but, it's not just American either. There is Canadian rules gridiron football and there is Australian rules gridiron football. Months ago here I linked in a Wikipedia article on gridiron football. Wikipedia could be referred to for a refresher. If I remember correctly, there is some attachment of this form with Celtic/Irish football, and first people games in America, South America, South Pacific, etc.
Yardage increments must be gained within a certain number of chances to continue possession; the end destination is the goal line for a touchdown.
In the very old days of gridiron football, running plays were the mainstay of yardage gain. This and other aspects have some commonality with rugby; not just the huddling (lol), but also when most plays start the opposing players are lined up in proximity to each other, scrums when a gridiron runner is tackled and/or the ball is fumbled.
As with rugby, there are kicking plays; i.e., punting, but other kicking plays too. A team can score, though fewer points than a touchdown, by kicking the ball through a space between two post segments in the end-zone where touchdowns are scored.
In context of other stick and ball sports played in U.S, this game involves kicking; hence, football for short.
Beautifully described, thanks Luke, there is a similarity between the two obviously.
I would be very interested to know what constitutes Celtic/Irish football....it's the same as English footie surely?

Manchester, UK

#18919 Nov 19, 2012
Paisley_Posey wrote:
Good afternoon/evening to the fine folks in the kitchen. I've been out a couple of days, ill yesterday and still somewhat queasy today. But reading the last hundred plus posts since I've been gone, it dawned on my how good a read it is.
El you have a great group of folks here.
I'm feeling a little panicked, my oldest daughter is set to go into full labor with her firstborn at any time, and I can't go to the hospital until I'm symptom-free. That means not today, and am praying she doesn't go today or tonight.
Been watching birds.
Hopefully my Colts will trounce the Patriots in their house, today!
Y'all have a great Sunday!
Paise....do hope you are feeling much better by now, sorry to hear you have been so unwell. Any news as yet? It's an exciting time, she'll be fine, and plenty of time to see new baby...just get yourself well. A new baby in time for Thanksgiving....your family is blessed indeed.
Please keep us posted Paise, hope all goes smooth as can be.

Manchester, UK

#18920 Nov 19, 2012
Good Morning All our Kitchen friends,
been up a while, the weather has been atrocious overnight, had intended going to see 'Skyfall' this afternoon, but 60 mph gales on the coast road...will take a raincheck, thanks.
Nothing in comparison on recent weather in US realise that, but a few trees are down so safer at home methinks.
Have you got the same weather Grace?
The lead up to Thanksgiving, I am giving thanks for such good friends here, and for the roof over my head in todays current clime....

A-l-r-i-g-h-t...tea and toast with marmalade coming up, coffee if you prefer, funny story attached to coffee, buy a jar at Tescos, get 10p a litre off fuel, checked prices elsewhere, actually more expensive at other supermarkets, bought three jars! Get the new car a week tomorrow, so can fill up making quite a saving and enough Nescafe Gold for the Winter months for allcomers!

Have a lovely day everyone.

“My dog Ali.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#18921 Nov 19, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
Good Morning All our Kitchen friends,
been up a while, the weather has been atrocious overnight, had intended going to see 'Skyfall' this afternoon, but 60 mph gales on the coast road...will take a raincheck, thanks.
Nothing in comparison on recent weather in US realise that, but a few trees are down so safer at home methinks.
Have you got the same weather Grace?
The lead up to Thanksgiving, I am giving thanks for such good friends here, and for the roof over my head in todays current clime....
A-l-r-i-g-h-t...tea and toast with marmalade coming up, coffee if you prefer, funny story attached to coffee, buy a jar at Tescos, get 10p a litre off fuel, checked prices elsewhere, actually more expensive at other supermarkets, bought three jars! Get the new car a week tomorrow, so can fill up making quite a saving and enough Nescafe Gold for the Winter months for allcomers!
Have a lovely day everyone.
Strange you should say, El,

the same here and more gales expected,
altho' last night I was out for a walk with
Ali, it wasn't raining just then but very windy
[we had heavy rain later]

Under amber street lamps,
pale yellow leaves were flying in every direction
and the pathway was carpeted in yellow and red;

as we live higher up,
the winking and twinkling of city lights
in the distance
made a magical backdrop for all this,

It felt like being in a fairytale,
maybe Little Red-riding H(:

and Ali, so easily cast,
as the handsome black wolf with the
pearly snarly teeth! LOL...

'Stop daydreaming Grace, and get on with the day'

Good Day to everyone here.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#18922 Nov 19, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>Yes indeedy. We have trendy peak caps for the blokes...not to be worn with the peak at the back please...lol...and trendy peak caps for the gals, difference being, the gals are pink. The 'float' covered the cost, so collect one as you come in the door....
and have a great Monday Dear Luke.
Didn't like my stovepipe hat idea, eh?

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#18923 Nov 19, 2012
Denny Crain wrote:
<quoted text>They are pretty wrinkles I am sure ; )
D - u always know the right thing to say.
lol
Happy Thanksgiving!

Location hidden

#18924 Nov 19, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
Wishing the Kitchen-eers are having a fine Sunday at the back end of this weekend!
Proudly wearing my El's Kitchen tee shirt, but .... are the hats available yet?!
Hello Deer

always wanted to say that to u..

lol

Location hidden

#18925 Nov 19, 2012
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone and to those who dont celebrate this, be thankful u dont have to cook a stupid turkey. lol
:]

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#18926 Nov 19, 2012
Happy happy day all Kitchen patrons!

Be safe & well El & Grace. Hope that poor weather passes. Amazing what can happen in a short spell and then it's over.

Here's wishing the folks on this side of the pond a lovely Thanksgiving filled with good food, the love of family and friends, and all else to be thankful for.

Those not celebrating I wish you the same and safe, peaceful holiday season.

Be well & stay well all!

Manchester, UK

#18927 Nov 19, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
hehe...didn't think ya'd notice...

Manchester, UK

#18928 Nov 19, 2012
PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
D - u always know the right thing to say.
lol
Happy Thanksgiving!
Isn't he a charmer..I thought it was a sweet thing to say.

Manchester, UK

#18929 Nov 19, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay...will you choose the logo please? Pretty please!...:)

we will go with you choose.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#18930 Nov 19, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>hehe...didn't think ya'd notice...
I'm pretty observant lady! ;-)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#18931 Nov 19, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>Okay...will you choose the logo please? Pretty please!...:)

we will go with you choose.
((Huff)) I'm pouting now.....

Manchester, UK

#18932 Nov 19, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm pretty observant lady! ;-)
It's just...well, I couldn't see ME in a stovepipe!

Call me selfish.

Manchester, UK

#18933 Nov 19, 2012
shhhh..everybody in the kitchen...Quincy is thinking!

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#18934 Nov 19, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Congrats on the new addition to your family Paisley! Hope you feel better soon. Be well.
Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good luck!
Prayers.
Thank you and bless you both! I do feel better today, so I would welcome that phone call to go, now.

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Location hidden

#18935 Nov 19, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Paise....do hope you are feeling much better by now, sorry to hear you have been so unwell. Any news as yet? It's an exciting time, she'll be fine, and plenty of time to see new baby...just get yourself well. A new baby in time for Thanksgiving....your family is blessed indeed.
Please keep us posted Paise, hope all goes smooth as can be.
Thank you for kind wishes! I am feeling MUCH better today. She is at her doctor now, we'll maybe know more in a bit. Her other two siblings are crossing their fingers it's today or at the latest tomorrow. Being the oldest, with a 'super-responsibility complex', her two younger siblings have both commented,
"I'm praying she has it by Tuesday, so she doesn't ruin our Thanksgiving!" LOL! Of course they're only a little serious about that.
Mom-to-be is the assistant director of early child development at a private school here, I'm looking forward to seeing how the 'expert' does with her own baby. Her younger sis has two young children and has tried to warn her that it's much harder than it looks. Her older sis insists she has it in hand, she's ready and it'll be a snap! She's ready to do it all, perfectly, LOL!....I know once the 'freight train' hits her and knocks her for a loop, she'll gather her wits, readjust, and be a great mother.
It'll be fun to see this play out. Like the younger sis said to her,
"You'll be in some sleepless, screaming nightmare and mom will have a huge smile on her face, the whole time."

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Location hidden

#18936 Nov 19, 2012
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Strange you should say, El,
the same here and more gales expected,
altho' last night I was out for a walk with
Ali, it wasn't raining just then but very windy
[we had heavy rain later]
Under amber street lamps,
pale yellow leaves were flying in every direction
and the pathway was carpeted in yellow and red;
as we live higher up,
the winking and twinkling of city lights
in the distance
made a magical backdrop for all this,
It felt like being in a fairytale,
maybe Little Red-riding H(:
and Ali, so easily cast,
as the handsome black wolf with the
pearly snarly teeth! LOL...
'Stop daydreaming Grace, and get on with the day'
Good Day to everyone here.
Grace, you took me there! Thank you for sharing your daydream. Hope you are having a nice Monday.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 12 min CJ Rocker 145,198
Giant Rubber Duck Forced to Deflate 29 min wichita-rick 1
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 36 min Trouser Cough 54,400
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 40 min Trouser Cough 40,148
Add a Word, Ruin a Movie (Oct '13) 41 min SLY WEST 3,187
The letter R (Jun '13) 44 min Princess Hey 583
The A-2-Z Of Televison (Apr '12) 45 min Hidden Nicki 1,944
What's your tip for the day? 1 hr wichita-rick 806
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 1 hr -Lea- 18,602
Fergson Police Dept. 3 hr A TROLL NAMED SLACK 366