|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Was it Jimmy Buffet who said its 5 o'clock somewhere?!
Yah girl, believe so.

He also said "changes in latitudes ...." and crooned about "cheeseburger in paradise" !

:)

“defusing Bundy mind-bombs ”

Since: Nov 09

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Flower....just cutting in here while the subject is 'hot' lol
I honestly 'don't get' why you call your football just that,'football'. In our football, if the ball as much as glances on a player's arm or hand, then it immediately called 'hand ball' and is considered a foul. The opposition would be given a free kick, or if it happened in the penalty area, given a penalty. A penalty being a chance of scoring from the penalty spot, just between the player and the goal keeper, no other players inbetween.
As far as referees are concerned...their word should be gospel...unfortunately some get it wrong and this can 'throw' the game, I sometimes think the ref is the 12th man on the other team, lol.
Rugby and your football are alike in that the men huddle together a lot, imho. Sorry Tony and Kryteia..but ain't it the truth? lol
A missing post here was mine as I offered an answer to why we Americans call our game 'football'. Topix gave me a warning about offensive, profanity, etc and etc with the reply box but for the life of me I could not fathom why it was objectionable so 'sent' it anyway. They win, of course.

So, another try do I (amended a bit to bypass the censor):

"American football" is technically gridiron football; but, it's not just American either. There is Canadian rules gridiron football and there is Australian rules gridiron football. Months ago here I linked in a Wikipedia article on gridiron football. Wikipedia could be referred to for a refresher. If I remember correctly, there is some attachment of this form with Celtic/Irish football, and first people games in America, South America, South Pacific, etc.

Yardage increments must be gained within a certain number of chances to continue possession; the end destination is the goal line for a touchdown.

In the very old days of gridiron football, running plays were the mainstay of yardage gain. This and other aspects have some commonality with rugby; not just the huddling (lol), but also when most plays start the opposing players are lined up in proximity to each other, scrums when a gridiron runner is tackled and/or the ball is fumbled.

As with rugby, there are kicking plays; i.e., punting, but other kicking plays too. A team can score, though fewer points than a touchdown, by kicking the ball through a space between two post segments in the end-zone where touchdowns are scored.

In context of other stick and ball sports played in U.S, this game involves kicking; hence, football for short.

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>Yah girl, believe so.

He also said "changes in latitudes ...." and crooned about "cheeseburger in paradise" !

:)
The original was by Alan Jackson. He and Buffet did a duet years later.
YouTube, Alan Jackson.
Sunny and warm in Columbus, Oh today!
Good day to all in the kitchen.

“defusing Bundy mind-bombs ”

Since: Nov 09

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>
The original was by Alan Jackson. He and Buffet did a duet years later.
YouTube, Alan Jackson.
Cool beans ... sunny and warm over here in Indiana too. Praise be!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>The original was by Alan Jackson. He and Buffet did a duet years later.
YouTube, Alan Jackson.
Hey there Boomer! Have a splendid day!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>Cool beans ... sunny and warm over here in Indiana too. Praise be!
Ditto that! I'll take it. Always better than ice & snow and 10 below. I don't like to be cold! Snow on Christmas Eve and then it should melt on Boxing Day. End of story!

“Standin' In A”

Level 8

Since: May 11

Shaft Of Light

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Hi RM. I saw your car out front of the kitchen and thought I'd stop in to say I'm thinking about you. Hope you have a nice holiday season.
(Hi El and the rest of you kitcheners too.)

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Grace Nerissa wrote:
Winter sunshine but c-o-l-d! here.
brought Ali to dog run..
hands numb on return, could hardly drive...
El and other animal lovers here,
would like 'your' take on this>
every morning when Ali gets up, I put her out,
and before she goes out, she *insists* in
finding ANYTHING to hold in her mouth, when she sees me, be it an old sock-a ball- a morsel -
a piece of cardboard- broken toy
an old bit of chewed bone > ANYTHING..
I just wonder if it some kind of instinct
and if so, what might be behind it!-
kinda like when a cat brings in a mouse,
isn't it meant to be a trophy and they want to
present it to the master!
El,
Thanks re the poem,
glad you enjoyed it..
I saw you mention movies recently,
I went to see SKYFALL,
very good indeed,
007 hasn't lost his sheen.
Wishing all the regulars here a
pleasant restful wkend.
or their little way of trying to make the owner
feel appreciated!
Grace whenever my dogs have done that, they want you to throw the object, it means they're in the mood to play and seeing if you're game.
You too, hope you've had a good weekend and are having a nice Sunday.

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Good afternoon/evening to the fine folks in the kitchen. I've been out a couple of days, ill yesterday and still somewhat queasy today. But reading the last hundred plus posts since I've been gone, it dawned on my how good a read it is.
El you have a great group of folks here.

I'm feeling a little panicked, my oldest daughter is set to go into full labor with her firstborn at any time, and I can't go to the hospital until I'm symptom-free. That means not today, and am praying she doesn't go today or tonight.
Been watching birds.
Hopefully my Colts will trounce the Patriots in their house, today!
Y'all have a great Sunday!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Fisherman 808 wrote:
Hi RM. I saw your car out front of the kitchen and thought I'd stop in to say I'm thinking about you. Hope you have a nice holiday season.
(Hi El and the rest of you kitcheners too.)
Long time no speak Fish! How are you and Mrs Fisherman? Family coming in from the neighboring island for Thanksgiving? In spite of a Midwest drought the corn was very good. There was a farmers market near my job so I picked up a lot.

Mele Kalikimaka!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Paisley_Posey wrote:
Good afternoon/evening to the fine folks in the kitchen. I've been out a couple of days, ill yesterday and still somewhat queasy today. But reading the last hundred plus posts since I've been gone, it dawned on my how good a read it is.

I'm feeling a little panicked, my oldest daughter is set to go into full labor with her firstborn at any time, and I can't go to the hospital until I'm symptom-free. That means not today, and am praying she doesn't go today or tonight.
Been watching birds.
Congrats on the new addition to your family Paisley! Hope you feel better soon. Be well.

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Paisley_Posey wrote:

Been watching birds.
Good luck!
Prayers.

“Standin' In A”

Level 8

Shaft Of Light

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Long time no speak Fish! How are you and Mrs Fisherman? Family coming in from the neighboring island for Thanksgiving? In spite of a Midwest drought the corn was very good. There was a farmers market near my job so I picked up a lot.
Mele Kalikimaka!
It has been a while. We are doing OK. Not sure about daughter and grandson coming Thursday, probably not.
How do you like the job?
I didn't try to grow any corn this year, didn't see any in the store either. It's been real dry for a long time. I do have a green pepper plant and a tomato plant still growing, but not much to eat off them.

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Fisherman 808 wrote:
<quoted text>It has been a while. We are doing OK. Not sure about daughter and grandson coming Thursday, probably not.
How do you like the job?
I didn't try to grow any corn this year, didn't see any in the store either. It's been real dry for a long time. I do have a green pepper plant and a tomato plant still growing, but not much to eat off them.
Bring them inside if you are doing a potted thing. I grew from my patio window for 3 extra months!

“Standin' In A”

Level 8

Shaft Of Light

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bring them inside if you are doing a potted thing. I grew from my patio window for 3 extra months!
Thanks for the thoughts.
The plants are in a big container I found at the beach, it's about the size of a 55 gallon barrel, seems to be working pretty good. I'm trying out ideas for raised beds.
(we are at about 1600 feet on Lanai, but usually tomatoes don't grow to good here at this time of year)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Just in time for the parade.......

Subject: Urgent Update: Macy's & Donald Trump
Reply-To: "Angelo Carusone, Urge Macys To Dump Donald Trump Campaign" <angelo.dumptrump@gmail.com >

Dear

My name is Angelo Carusone. I created the petition urging Macy's to sever ties with Donald Trump. Thank you for stepping up and adding your voice to this effort! Thus far, your participation has created a tremendous response -- we have over 590,000 signers and our petition is all over the media. And, this is just the beginning.

Click here to share this petition on Facebook and help get 1 million signatures by Thanksgiving!

Macy's CEO Terry Lundgren emailed me this morning. He acknowledged our efforts, which means we got Macy's attention. But, his response was disappointing. Macy's and Mr. Lundgren dismissed the efforts so far. They seem to be under the false impression that this is all about their latest TV commercial.

Macy's has it all wrong. This is not about a TV commercial or politics. Macy's does not merely sell Donald Trump's clothing. They have a partnership. Macy's helps develop and build Trump's fashion brand.

I responded to Mr. Lundgren by explaining that this is about something much bigger than a TV commercial. l also offered Macy's the opportunity to include an appropriate message in this email. Macy's did not respond.

I initiated this petition on October 24, right around the time of Trump's $5 million dollar birther stunt. I came across a letter dated August 23, 2012 from Macy's CEO Terry Lundgren to Donald Trump. Mr. Lundgren concludes the letter by telling Trump: "Don't give up the Real Estate business yet but we are developing a meaningful fashion business with your brand!"

This got me thinking about Trump's "brand."

To me, Trump's brand is consequence-free bullying and chicanery; mean-spirited antics designed to ride a media cycle so he can promote himself or his Macy's product line at the expense of others. And, here was the CEO of Macy’s promising to further develop that brand. This didn't seem consistent with my experience as a longtime Macy's customer. So, I acted and started the petition.

In effect, Macy's is rewarding Trump's bigoted bullying by building a business right on top of it.

I know about bullies. I grew up on the receiving end of them for far too long. Then I learned to stop them and I never forgot how. Back in 2009, while in law school, I drew on those lessons as I organized the StopBeck effort. It was similar in that the participants were attaching consequences and costs to Glenn Beck's reckless vitriol. It required widespread participation and a lot of persistence, but it paid off.

Macy's needs to understand that they should not reward Donald Trump's bigoted bullying, but I need your help explaining that to them.

Click here to share this petition on Facebook and help get 1 million signatures by Thanksgiving!

If you’re not on Facebook, you can email or Tweet this link and urge others to sign:
http://signon.org/sign/urge-macys-to-dump-don...

Or, you can use this share tool:
http://www.signon.org/create_finished.html...

I'll be following up in the coming days with additional updates.

Know this: Your participation matters!

Onward we go...

-Angelo
@GoAngelo

by Angelo Carusone, Urge Macys To Dump Donald Trump Campaign from the SignOn.org system. MoveOn.org Civic Action sponsors SignOn.org , but does not endorse specific campaigns or the contents of this message.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Fisherman 808 wrote:
<quoted text>It has been a while. We are doing OK. Not sure about daughter and grandson coming Thursday, probably not.
How do you like the job?
Bumber about your veggies this year. I was hoping the islands fared better weather wise than the mainland did.

The job is great! The company was recently named one of the top 100 companies to work for in either all if Illinois or northeastern Illinois. Still a temp but it's going on 7 months now.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>Bring them inside if you are doing a potted thing. I grew from my patio window for 3 extra months!
My friend does the same thing since Chicago is not a year round planting zone. Then she also has starters in the spring.

“Lazy Hazy Days of Summer”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Tks RM,
Yes, Ali is a lab crossed with a collie,
tall, jet black, just the giveaway 'collie' patch
of white in the chest area and on the tips
of the front paws, VERY bright and alert..
The beagle is so cute,
must bring you hours of joy..
As you very rightly say,
they all have their own quirks,
like humans too, I suppose..
A close friend of mine has a dog much like Ali,
but cannot let her in the playground with others
as she is SO possessive about the ball, she starts
a vicious fight if ANY other dog catches it!
whereas Ali will peacefully share with all dogs -
then, opposite to that, my friend's dog is fine with
humans & will go peacefully to any person to be patted..
whereas Ali can be very unpredictable with 'people'
*especially* men and can become quite
snarly with someone at a moments notice,
NO way of telling in advance,
tho' she loves kids and cats!! wags her tail at them!!
just an example of HOW different they all can
be, like you said.
Although our Lab/cross 'Lady' had her own ball, she would
run up to other dogs on the beach or wherever, and run off
with theirs! Gave us endless amusement!
We returned the balls, of course.
Funny how the majority of suggestions as to your query Grace,
favoured instincts rather than sentimental reasons as mine did.
Completely forgetting her breed, so other suggestions make more
sense.

“Lazy Hazy Days of Summer”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
In both soccer and rugby, one of the first laws of both games is that the referee is the sole judge of fact and law (I used to be a ref for both games). Has to be that way, or you'd end up with anarchy on the pitch. Rugby does now have the "fourth official", a video feed to which the ref can turn if he is unsure. Only used in point scoring situation to determine if a ball has been grounded for a try, or as in the fiasco yesterday, whether the ball has passed through the posts for a conversion. It wouldn't be feasible to review every decision made, the game would go on for hours!
A pity that the final result cannot be overturned once the video is
viewed at the end of the game. Sadly, present day refereeing throws doubt on the credibility of the game. Can understand the frustration of the players, which then paints the player in a poor light. Highly unfair.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

119 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
First contacts on offbeat (May '12) 5 min Dr_Dirty 756
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 10 min wichita-rick 141,357
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 11 min HOG_ the Hand of God 112,885
blame it on....??? (Aug '13) 12 min Dr_Dirty 17
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 12 min CJ Rocker 25,611
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 23 min ghost 15,080
What do you admire most about a person? (Dec '12) 28 min _Word_Woman_ 239
Which female is the biggest flirt? (Nov '12) 1 hr Tehee 131
The Night Owl Saloon (Jun '11) 1 hr Maverick 808 15,622