Krypteia

Worthing, UK

#18856 Nov 17, 2012
On a happier note the Sweaties lost as well..
Good result for Ireland with a mish mash team of youngsters..

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#18857 Nov 17, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
I should have given you a straight forward answer there Sir Tally,
I thought you was joking.
I thought everybody in the world knew thaqt tea-time is 4 o'clock.
Ah..the arrogance of we Brits!
no Lady El we sworn tea off as the George III decided to over tax

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

#18858 Nov 17, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I heard a joke about the policy of drinking in the British empire, wonder if you ever heard of this ... you can drink "when the sun is over the yardarm" .. but since the British Empire once spanned the globe, the sun was over the yardarm 24x7 .. so that meant you were allowed to drink anytime you felt like it!!!
It's a Naval expression isn't it Franko...a yardarm being part
of the rigging of a sailing ship. Well that's fair enough,
good enough reason to drink any old time!.....lol

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Manchester, UK

#18859 Nov 17, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>There was a very good exmaple of the 12th man situation during the womens soccer (Futbal) during this summers Olympics ...
The canadian Team was playing the USA to get into the gold medal game ... at one stage the Canadaian goalie was being harrassed by a USA player and so she held on to the ball too long and a free kick was awarded the USA from directly in front of the goal, about 22 yards out. Naturally there was a pack of defenders placed in front of the kick, it was a hard one and so barely an instant of reaction time after the ball was kicked ... inadverdantly the ball glanced off a canadain defenders forarm .. which resulted in a penalty kick which allowed the USA to scoree the tying goal!!!
A lot of people were upset, not only for the first call which is rarely called, and then the second call.
To make matters worse, in the gold medal final USA vs JAPAN ... there was a free kick by Japan which also went off a defenders forearm or possibly even the hand ... and NO CALL was made!!!!
It certainly had us Canadians "up in arms"
I honestly do not know how they get away with it. I remember that
happening actually, remember reading about the furore it caused.

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Manchester, UK

#18860 Nov 17, 2012
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
no Lady El we sworn tea off as the George III decided to over tax
LOL! What long memories you have Sir Tally.....:)

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Manchester, UK

#18861 Nov 17, 2012
It's bitterly cold out there tonight, jut been out to lock the back gate, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't snow overnight.

Was that referee noted for his bias Krypteia,
Tony? Might sound a silly question but isn't there the means to check by way of camera as to
the validity of the ref's decisions, would be
interested to know.

Be thankful that you went to Twickers last week
Krypteia, rather than this.

Just heard that Man U lost. What a day! At least
Ireland won, one good thing.

Well, I'll be off, an early night tonight, catch up with some reading in bed.

So Good Night everybody, if I don't see you tomorrow, have a nice weekend. Have one anyway!

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#18862 Nov 17, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
I honestly do not know how they get away with it. I remember that
happening actually, remember reading about the furore it caused.
that is why I do feel that instant replay should be added to most sports. ON a limited basis, for example tennis allows each player to challenge a call 3 times in a set ... this results in very few play stoppages and almost always solves a disputed call.

It would also put those referees on notice to make their best call possible every time because they will get caught if they play favorites.

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#18863 Nov 17, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>that is why I do feel that instant replay should be added to most sports. ON a limited basis, for example tennis allows each player to challenge a call 3 times in a set ... this results in very few play stoppages and almost always solves a disputed call.
It would also put those referees on notice to make their best call possible every time because they will get caught if they play favorites.
Agree with that!

In U.S., pro baseball is "inching" along with instant replay. Finally, it was included for home run calls and foul ball calls. It REALLY should be used for close plays and bad calls at bases too. So far, that's not the case and that has cost teams important chances for wins.

There wouldn't be that much impact on game length considering these bad calls at bases provoke intense on-field disagreements that take time to subside -- that time can be used for play review instead.

But instant replay would not be efficient for balls and strikes calls for a batter, but everything else it should be done.

informs against BS

#18864 Nov 17, 2012
Are ya ready for some [gridiron] football !!??

Today , Saturday, is the calendar anniversary of an infamous football game in American TV broadcasting history on November 17, 1968. It generated an iron-clad policy of national networks not terminating live broadcasts of sporting events for scheduled programming.

The set-up: game played was the 2nd of a double-header pro football programming block. The teams were heated rivals of the day in the old American Football League that challenged the established National Football League for popularity and ratings (they merged to become the NFL as we've known it since 1969 or 1970). The ending of this heated contest was not seen by most of the viewers, although the most western time zone(s) did.

A well-touted TV movie "Heidi" was scheduled by contract with the sole sponsor to be shown at 7:00EST/6:00CST sharp (Timex watches was the sponsor, btw). Both games of the double-header broadcasting event "ran long".

The linked article is comprehensive and long enough to make your eyes glaze over. The quotes copied from the article "speak to" the essence of the significance of this mess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidi_Game

*****Steven Travers, in his history of the Raiders, noted:

That Sunday evening at 7:00 pm the family classic Heidi was scheduled. This is the well-known story of a little Swiss girl who lives with her grandfather in the [Alps], a staple of wholesome entertainment. In the days before cable, pay-per-view, VHS, DVD, TiVo, record, rewind, and 700 channels—what the choices came down to what NBC, ABC, CBS, and maybe a handful of local stations wanted to show the public, TV viewers scheduled their days around events like Heidi. It was on once a year. If one missed it, they missed it until the next year.[23]*****

********As the fourth quarter began, it was 6:20 EST,[29] and NBC executives began to realize the game might not end by 7:00. NBC Sports Vice President Chet Simmons recalled:

They kept promoting Heidi, kept promoting Heidi. I kept looking at my watch, and I said to myself, there's no way to me that Heidi's going to make this at seven o'clock. Julian Goodman, the president of the company, told us going into the weekend that Heidi had to start on time ...I looked at my watch, looked at another table clock, looked at the game, and thought, no way is this going to happen.[33]*********

*******Beginning about 6:45, many members of the public began calling NBC network and affiliate switchboards. Some demanded the conclusion of the game, others wanted to know if Heidi would start on time. These calls jammed the switchboards, and even blew repeated fuses in them, preventing the executives from getting through to each other to resolve the situation. NBC protocol required an operations order from Connal, to countermand the midweek written orders, but Cline received no call from the increasingly desperate Connal, who was frustrated by the switchboard issues. Without such an order, and not knowing of Goodman's approval, Cline made the decision that Heidi would start on time.[37][38] The television audience saw Smith return Turner's kickoff out of the end zone to the Oakland 22-yard line with 1:01 remaining. Burbank BOC played the closing football theme and gave the word cue, to the outraged shock of Ellis and Connal, and the connection was irretrievably broken. Although the western United States continued to view the game, the eastern half of the nation instead saw a little girl on a Swiss mountain and was unaware that Oakland was in the course of scoring two touchdowns to win the game.[37]

Oakland Tribune reporter Bob Valli reported on the Heidi Game: "Television missed one of football's most exciting and exhausting minutes of emotion. In that minute, Oakland fans saw despair turn to delirium."[39]*******

Because of this game, regularly scheduled TV programming is now broadcast in America on delayed basis after the conclusion of a live sporting event.

informs against BS

#18865 Nov 17, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
It's bitterly cold out there tonight, jut been out to lock the back gate, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't snow overnight.
Was that referee noted for his bias Krypteia,
Tony? Might sound a silly question but isn't there the means to check by way of camera as to
the validity of the ref's decisions, would be
interested to know.
Be thankful that you went to Twickers last week
Krypteia, rather than this.
Just heard that Man U lost. What a day! At least
Ireland won, one good thing.
Well, I'll be off, an early night tonight, catch up with some reading in bed.
So Good Night everybody, if I don't see you tomorrow, have a nice weekend. Have one anyway!
Happy reading and golden slumbers, Dear Eleanor!:)

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#18867 Nov 17, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree with that!
In U.S., pro baseball is "inching" along with instant replay. Finally, it was included for home run calls and foul ball calls. It REALLY should be used for close plays and bad calls at bases too. So far, that's not the case and that has cost teams important chances for wins.
There wouldn't be that much impact on game length considering these bad calls at bases provoke intense on-field disagreements that take time to subside -- that time can be used for play review instead.
But instant replay would not be efficient for balls and strikes calls for a batter, but everything else it should be done.
I agree on the time thing .. however, maybe the audience wants to see those dust ups with the manager and umpire? Me, I think they are silly and childish.

Even a disputed strike should be reviewable, for example if it is the third strike in the 9th inning of a tie game?

I used to pitch in softball, and I once had an umpire that must have personally disliked me or something .... in one inning he called two balls that were in fact strikes that hit the bull's eye, no way anyone could think for a second they were balls ... I actually called time and asked him to show me with his hands where his strike zone was ... naturaly of course he was insulted ... but he did show me and then I asked.. "then why were my last two pitches called balls, because they were dead centre in your strike zone?" .. then he threw me out f the game ....

informs against BS

#18868 Nov 17, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
It varies across the land, speaking for myself we have tea at 4'ish
followed by dinner at precisely six o'clock and a light supper
between half past eight and nine o'clock.
In the U.S., times for the evening meal has not been so "set for all" either.

A 5:00 PM supper (or dinner, depending on the terms of the locality or specific family) would be traditional for folks who had a family member on early first shift in factories, or in the teaching profession for primary and seoondary grades, or otherwise observed "bankers hours" in their work.

So many folks had evening meals after close of shops, etc. meaning 7:30 - 9:30 PM. Of course, other work situations and professions would fit in either or "in-between" or entirely different.

Even in the days of yore -- well, after we became civilized, that is.:)

informs against BS

#18869 Nov 17, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I agree on the time thing .. however, maybe the audience wants to see those dust ups with the manager and umpire? Me, I think they are silly and childish.
Even a disputed strike should be reviewable, for example if it is the third strike in the 9th inning of a tie game?
I used to pitch in softball, and I once had an umpire that must have personally disliked me or something .... in one inning he called two balls that were in fact strikes that hit the bull's eye, no way anyone could think for a second they were balls ... I actually called time and asked him to show me with his hands where his strike zone was ... naturaly of course he was insulted ... but he did show me and then I asked.. "then why were my last two pitches called balls, because they were dead centre in your strike zone?" .. then he threw me out f the game ....
OH, I loved playing softball. With workmates, we would have an almost daily game "in the backyard". Even fielded a team in a recreational league for awhile. I primarily played slow-pitch though, and did some pitching too.

Fast-pitch I only played a season or two with squadron mates in military. And, played slow-pitch softball overlapping with fast pitch softball for almost a month each year.
Adjusting for fast pitch sometimes was 'difficult' after a slow-pitch game.

informs against BS

#18870 Nov 17, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>that's north of the tree line .. no lumber ... lot;s of seals and poler bears though.
Reading the exchange between Quinny and you ... the Michael Palin lumberjack bit that you mentioned was constantly in my mind. lol

informs against BS

#18871 Nov 17, 2012
Flower-Child wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Denny ... I just got back from the new Lincoln movie ...it was great .. Spielberg did a fine job and it had it's comedy moments as well ... overall a two thumbs up ... I will try to catch the James Bond movie next week, maybe ... better to see that kind of action/adventure on the big screen ...
Good evening, Dear FC ! Thanks for the info on Spielberg's LINCOLN. From the trailers on TV, I think I would enjoy that story and performances. Maybe I can bribe... er, persuade a daughter or two to go see it with me during the Thanksgiving Day long weekend.

<3 catch ya around later.

informs against BS

#18872 Nov 17, 2012
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a widely believed myth Denny, but sadly for the story, it is not true. David Irving (who I will not grace with the title hostorian) began it in 1987.
Here's a link to an article by the renouned UK historian Sir Robert Rhodes James, debunking it:
http://www.winstonchurchill.org/learn/myths/m...
Thank you Tony for sourcing the refutation. Didn't seem a viable "truth" that Churchill was imitated for contemporaneous speeches besides acting roles in dramas or re-enactment stints.

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

#18873 Nov 17, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>Good evening, Dear FC ! Thanks for the info on Spielberg's LINCOLN. From the trailers on TV, I think I would enjoy that story and performances. Maybe I can bribe... er, persuade a daughter or two to go see it with me during the Thanksgiving Day long weekend.

<3 catch ya around later.
A friend of mine told me he would like to see the Lincoln film.
Spoiler alert! Stop reading if you don't want to know the ending!!!

Here goes.

You have been warned...

... Lincoln is shot and killed. Close the curtain...

He didn't think it was funny either.
Enjoy the evening.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#18874 Nov 17, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
OH, I loved playing softball. With workmates, we would have an almost daily game "in the backyard". Even fielded a team in a recreational league for awhile. I primarily played slow-pitch though, and did some pitching too.
Fast-pitch I only played a season or two with squadron mates in military. And, played slow-pitch softball overlapping with fast pitch softball for almost a month each year.
Adjusting for fast pitch sometimes was 'difficult' after a slow-pitch game.
do you still play slow pitch?

I played that with a league at work some years ago.

We were about to face the team with the most obnoxious guy ... so we prepared ... we painted a couple of grapefruits white so they looked like the softball. WHen he came up, always gunning for the homerun, we switched balls, and sho enuff he took a mighty swing!!! That grapefruit splattered on every infielder!!! We were all rolling on the ground laughing for a couple of minutes ...

informs against BS

#18875 Nov 17, 2012
Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>
A friend of mine told me he would like to see the Lincoln film.
Spoiler alert! Stop reading if you don't want to know the ending!!!
Here goes.
You have been warned...
... Lincoln is shot and killed. Close the curtain...
He didn't think it was funny either.
Enjoy the evening.
You have a enjoyable evening too, Boomer!

informs against BS

#18876 Nov 17, 2012
franko wrote:
<quoted text>do you still play slow pitch?
I played that with a league at work some years ago.
We were about to face the team with the most obnoxious guy ... so we prepared ... we painted a couple of grapefruits white so they looked like the softball. WHen he came up, always gunning for the homerun, we switched balls, and sho enuff he took a mighty swing!!! That grapefruit splattered on every infielder!!! We were all rolling on the ground laughing for a couple of minutes ...
LOL re: the white grapefruit!!! Wish "we" would have thought of that with a couple of teams with arrogant bombers. Priceless!!!

Nah, don't play anymore.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Make a Story / 4 Words Only (Nov '08) 5 min TALLYHO 8541 24,773
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 21 min Grace Nerissa 30,289
Is it possible to....... 28 min Independent1 518
"OLD SAYINGS" - - - Feel free to post them here... 34 min Independent1 55
tellmealie (Dec '12) 37 min Independent1 312
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 38 min Blitzking 131,834
Man murders wife, shows parents her body on webcam (Apr '11) 54 min servonazis 77
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Just TLC 152,358
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 3 hr wichita-rick 122
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 4 hr -Lea- 25,512
More from around the web