“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#17480 Oct 7, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>I'm with you ..and thanks again Quincy...I have a very good camera which I stupidly hosed having placed it in a hanging basket for 'safety' then put the sprinkler on it forgetting it was in there. duh...have to get this repaired then I can take pics of the jugs, will do this during the week. Something I have intended to do for a long time now.
Good luck to you! Is it too late to put it in dry rice? Rice is supposed to pull out the moisture from electronics. Sadly, I put an iPod through the wash myself once.

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

#17481 Oct 8, 2012
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
It was fascinating to our family that the two went on their own and spent the month in Ireland due to the legal requirement at the time. Today 'destination weddings' are all the rage and the whole family travels but back then it was quite a novel thing to do.
I think I mentioned my maiden name is really Quinn...half Irish half German--a brood of stubborn drunks ! ;-)
For better or worse, world history is pretty fascinating and I am an avid reader of both fiction and non fiction. It's what makes us all who we are and some of the turmoil has gone on so long we don't even remember what the the fighting was about.
There are many people still living who were involved in and remember the turbulent civil rights movement and I can't imagine what you and so many lived through in northern Ireland in the early '70s....
Yes, it was very bad in the North of Ireland in the 70's
and we had THE DUBLIN BOMBINGS here, around that time
and of course, the dreadful OMAGH atrocity,
not that the others weren't atrocities too,
but we have arrived at a 'relative' peace now.

thanks to so many who have put great effort into

achieving that peace, BERTIE AHERN, TONY BLAIR,
GERRY ADAMS, to mention but a few..

tho' it often reminds me of a cooking pot on
the stove, bubbling away at high temps,
then it is turned right down to simmer,
where it's running along smoothly,
*all the time hoping* some lunatic won't come along,
out of the blue, and turn up the heat again!!!!!

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

#17482 Oct 8, 2012
Morning El and all,

I couldn't help wondering about all
the well paid intuitive psychics,
and fortune tellers -
who constantly boast of their extraordinary powers -

and WHERE are they now that little APRIL still cannot be found..

makes one think, doesn't it..

not ONE amongst them from ANY country
can help in the slightest way!

Anyway, today is a perfect Autumn day here,
how beautiful the changing colours..
almost changing before the eyes.

I'm still watching X FACTOR El, are you?

I like Gary Barlow, but found him quite
harsh Saturday in comparing two singers,
I often think, too easily they forget
there's a human heart behind all the
razzle-dazzle and hype, in all these people.

O, well.. it IS X Factor, I suppose,
and for all that, it's truly entertaining.

Wishing all the regulars a good
start to the week ahead.

Level 9

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#17483 Oct 8, 2012
Does El's kitchen have chocolate???

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#17484 Oct 8, 2012
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, it was very bad in the North of Ireland in the 70's
and we had THE DUBLIN BOMBINGS here, around that time
and of course, the dreadful OMAGH atrocity,
not that the others weren't atrocities too,
but we have arrived at a 'relative' peace now.

thanks to so many who have put great effort into

achieving that peace, BERTIE AHERN, TONY BLAIR,
GERRY ADAMS, to mention but a few..

tho' it often reminds me of a cooking pot on
the stove, bubbling away at high temps,
then it is turned right down to simmer,
where it's running along smoothly,
*all the time hoping* some lunatic won't come along,
out of the blue, and turn up the heat again!!!!!
That's why the documentary made it sound like releasing the interview tapes would only instigate more problems. There's no question not knowing must be horrible for the families, but isn't it best to leave it alone and let it finally rest instead of stirring it up again?

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#17485 Oct 8, 2012
quilterqueen wrote:
Does El's kitchen have chocolate???
El's Kitchen has everything.....and great company to boot!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#17486 Oct 8, 2012
Good morning and happy happy day to all the Kitchen patrons. Have a safe, enjoyable week. Fall/autumn is upon us here and the first freeze warning came.

The gourd mound is a sculpture at the Chicago Botanic Garden. Yes, we made another trip this weekend and there was a farmers market. What's autumn without Carmel apples?!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#17487 Oct 8, 2012
'morning El! You got me interested in selling on eBay again. This little handbag I listed must be popular -- bids started coming in immediately!

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

#17488 Oct 8, 2012
Morning to all and afternoon to some!
I found out that the Carolina Chocolate Drops will be playing in the UK soon. If you haven't heard of them, I suggest you Google or YouTube. Great band!

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#17489 Oct 8, 2012
Boomer7 wrote:
Morning to all and afternoon to some!
I found out that the Carolina Chocolate Drops will be playing in the UK soon. If you haven't heard of them, I suggest you Google or YouTube. Great band!
Good morning Boomer.

Confirming, that band is worth a hearing. I've the pleasure of seeing them recently in a recorded concert shown as special programming for local PBS channel, and previously had heard them perform during a radio interview program.

For background:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Chocola...

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

#17490 Oct 8, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>Good morning Boomer.

Confirming, that band is worth a hearing. I've the pleasure of seeing them recently in a recorded concert shown as special programming for local PBS channel, and previously had heard them perform during a radio interview program.

For background:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Chocola...
I had the fine chance of doing a studio interview with them six months before they won a Grammy!
Great folks on a personal level!!
My wife and had a moment to hang with them.

informs against BS

#17491 Oct 8, 2012
Good morning and afternoon, kitchen-eers.

The frost is on the pumpkin this morning, for sure; and all things outside. By now, my yard near the woods patch is collecting scattered fallen leaves. I couldn't say as yet that the woods all around is exploding in color, but leaves are definitely turning -- the array of yellows, reds, oranges, and some purples interspersed with "earth tones". Barring tumultuous rain and wind storms, peak is yet to be.

I dwell in a small settlement in the country comprising of about 30 homes just off a state highway on a private rock/dirt road. It should be all rock, but it's just barely maintained because of some the slackers in our "neighborhood association" formed pretty much to hire for replacement rock as needed. The two dwellings nearest the highway are actually single level duplexes.

The frame and modular homes (no "trailers") are surrounded by or tucked in the prevailing hilly woods. The electric, natural gas, and phone utilities are delivered underground. Water is from a municipal co-operative ( there could be a well or two on some properties but I'm not aware), and home-maintained septic systems are used instead of a sewer system. I've "whined" about having no cable TV/internet access before, and we exceed the range for DSL broadband internet access.

Driving time to the nearest town of commerce just takes "5 minutes". Another 2 or 3 minutes will get me to one of my daughter's house after she moved from the college town where she was schooled, worked, and lived. My youngest is still doing the working and living there (they both finished college last year), about 25-30 minutes drive from me.

My eldest is in the metro-Indianapolis area and it is almost 1.5 hours to travel there. As the twin grand-daughters turned 9 years yesterday, I'm making that trip next Sunday!

informs against BS

#17492 Oct 8, 2012
Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>
I had the fine chance of doing a studio interview with them six months before they won a Grammy!
Cool! Great memory that!

informs against BS

#17493 Oct 8, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Grace....I was thinking, during the televised recording of part
of the church service held in Machynlleth today....that little
child, April Jones, has unknowingly brought all and sundry together
this past week....as you yourself know, this is a small country and
people have pulled together from every part of Wales, communities
have got together and provided food for the search parties, the police,
the mountain rescue and all services....driven long distances to deliver them...and everybody, including burly police officers are
wearing a pink ribbon to symbolise HOPE....where there's hope...
sadly no news as yet.
As you say, and say it so well, it is indeed a strange irony that the
scenery was portrayed so beautifully under such tragic circumstances..it just seems unreal, and thoughts are so with the family at this dreadful time.
The scenery is dramatic...as has been the week, but a drama which has been forced upon us...how could one person be responsible for such upheaval and heartache?
Just putting my thoughts into words here, and possibly very badly. your understanding of the situation has been so much appreciated as always.
From weekend news, there is a family and community in the state of Colorado that is sharing this horrid experience.

A precious girl aged 10 was last seen heading for school Thursday or Friday morning and went missing. The mother is tremendously devastated because she missed the call from school about her because she was sleeping, assuming she works a night shift and slept through or turned off the phone.

There is a custody situation, but by last evening the father is not suspect. He resides in Missouri.

All this conjures up the McCann girl, and there is a missing boy in one of the northwest states over here for 2 or 3 years. No solid evidence in that case. Step-mother was being investigated. Bio mother and father are divorced.

informs against BS

#17494 Oct 8, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Not as yet Cuz....why do you ask?
A link to Penrhyn......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrhyn_Castle
Thank you for the link for info about this home.

These paragraphs certainly are interesting. A one-ton slate bed !! And all of the attractions associated:
----------
Penrhyn is one of the most admired of the numerous mock castles built in the United Kingdom in the 19th century; Christopher Hussey called it, "the outstanding instance of Norman revival." [1] The castle is a picturesque composition that stretches over 600 feet from a tall donjon containing family rooms, through the main block built around the earlier house, to the service wing and the stables.
Penrhyn Castle circa 1880.

It is built in a sombre style which allows it to possess something of the medieval fortress air despite the ground-level drawing room windows. Hopper designed all the principal interiors in a rich but restrained Norman style, with much fine plasterwork and wood and stone carving. The castle also has some specially designed Norman style furniture, including a one ton slate bed made for Queen Victoria when she visited in 1859.

Penrhyn's attractions include a formal walled garden, extensive informal gardens, a dolls museum, an industrial railway museum, a model railway museum and an adventure playground. Hanging on its walls is one of the finest art collections in North Wales, with works by artists such as Rembrandt -(Catrina Hooghsaet, valued at up to 40m, the Dutch Culture Ministry tried to buy the painting for Amsterdams Rijksmuseum in 2007 but couldnt meet the asking price)-, Canaletto, Richard Wilson, Carl Haag, Perino del Vaga and Palma Vecchio. The family began collecting paintings from the early years of the 19th century; this significant collection was catalogued by the 2nd Lord Penrhyn's daughter Alice Douglas-Pennant. The castle has views over the Snowdonia mountains. In 2008/09 it was the National Trust's thirteenth most visited paid-entry property, with 156,575 visitors.
----------

informs against BS

#17495 Oct 8, 2012
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Have lost track of the number of outings we have to cancel due to the weather, in our case, rain. Yesterday was kind and we went to a bearby National Trust property, namely Penrhyn Castle....which is not a castle at all, but a stately home built to resemble a castle.
It was owned by the Griffith family originally in it's medieval state,
later aquired by the Baron of Llandegai...and successive barons.
It's a while since we have visited it, and yesterday saw it through new eyes, learnt a lot from the room stewards, all most friendly and knowledgeable in the castle's history.
We learnt that one Baron built the roads, formerly drover's tracks, into nearby towns, built schools, churches, and whole villages for their quarry workers, one of their sources of income, the other being sugar plantations in Jamaica. Apparently 'kind' slave owners!
So...benevolent with their ill-gotten gains.
Beautiful place in the most beautiful setting, but cannot help but feel....double standards.
Had a nice day for all that.
You would have enjoyed it Cuz Luke...:)
Thank you for writing of your visiting experience, with your take on it, adding the "saw it through new eyes". A personal descriptive accounting is more informative than viewing a travel program, and I'd argue better than experiencing via a tourist grouping visit.

For your question, why did I ask you if you had visited National Museum Wales:
1. from innocuous curiosity
2. point of conversation with a friendly

3. "seeing places" apart from the travel programs and other reading. I "live small". As time goes on the likelihood of traveling abroad diminishes. For that matter, seeing many places personally in this big country are likely not to occur.

I'm very pleased that you and Mr. P had an enjoyable time of it. I suspect you are correct in speculating about my enjoyment Cuz El ---:)

informs against BS

#17496 Oct 8, 2012
Good evening/morning good people! Hope the weekend was enjoyable to you all, and found you in good health.

The temperature bottomed in the 20s in the wee hours out here in the hinterland and climbed to high 50s today; below average. Several days recently have been below average, with a spike last Wednesday or Thursday in the 80s. The "yo-yo" weather of the most recent weeks past provoked a code in my noase and haid since Friday evening.

I think I'm winning ... feeling better today.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

London, UK

#17497 Oct 8, 2012
Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just googled the tour dates and they are over here at the moment - played Dublin last night and due to play the O2 in London tonight. Sadly, I'm too far away and they're not coming to the West Country - they go on to France, Belgium, Holland and Germany before being in Puerto Rica on 27th of the month - a punishing schedule.

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

#17498 Oct 9, 2012
Deer Whisperer wrote:
Good morning and afternoon, kitchen-eers.
The frost is on the pumpkin this morning, for sure; and all things outside. By now, my yard near the woods patch is collecting scattered fallen leaves. I couldn't say as yet that the woods all around is exploding in color, but leaves are definitely turning -- the array of yellows, reds, oranges, and some purples interspersed with "earth tones". Barring tumultuous rain and wind storms, peak is yet to be.
I dwell in a small settlement in the country comprising of about 30 homes just off a state highway on a private rock/dirt road. It should be all rock, but it's just barely maintained because of some the slackers in our "neighborhood association" formed pretty much to hire for replacement rock as needed. The two dwellings nearest the highway are actually single level duplexes.
The frame and modular homes (no "trailers") are surrounded by or tucked in the prevailing hilly woods. The electric, natural gas, and phone utilities are delivered underground. Water is from a municipal co-operative ( there could be a well or two on some properties but I'm not aware), and home-maintained septic systems are used instead of a sewer system. I've "whined" about having no cable TV/internet access before, and we exceed the range for DSL broadband internet access.
Driving time to the nearest town of commerce just takes "5 minutes". Another 2 or 3 minutes will get me to one of my daughter's house after she moved from the college town where she was schooled, worked, and lived. My youngest is still doing the working and living there (they both finished college last year), about 25-30 minutes drive from me.
My eldest is in the metro-Indianapolis area and it is almost 1.5 hours to travel there. As the twin grand-daughters turned 9 years yesterday, I'm making that trip next Sunday!
Great post, gives a lovely mental picture of your
life .. and where you live,

like the NEW YORK song..
so good I read it twice-

great post..

Yes, suddenly, it seems, October has made it's presence
felt, I was driving yesterday, a light wind blowing
soft rain falling, I felt s source of sheer

delight as I witnessed small red leaves being swept off a tree
mingling with sparkling raindrops .. as they both fell together.

again, as I mentioned before,
if you wanted such a scene for a movie,
HOW many 'takes' would have to be made!

Good Day, DW.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#17499 Oct 9, 2012
Boomer7 wrote:
<quoted text>I had the fine chance of doing a studio interview with them six months before they won a Grammy!
Very impressive ! A fellow Kitchener who had a brush with fame!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Name a smell you love to smell! (Jan '14) 7 min Wolftracks 541
Write cities alfabetically (tell the country/st... (Sep '11) 19 min Wolftracks 2,195
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 21 min Blitzking 127,936
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr wichita-rick 151,170
Why is Topix Viewership Increasing? (Dec '13) 1 hr Independent1 75
Life is incomplete without ..... (what?) (Feb '14) 2 hr Wolftracks 593
California Burger King employee finds $100,000 2 hr wichita-rick 2
Passengers Push Russian Airplane Stuck In Ice 2 hr wichita-rick 14
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 3 hr wichita-rick 24,016
Ferguson Grand Jury Reaches Decision 4 hr FTW Forever 335

Weird People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE