“defusing bigot mind-bombs ”

Since: Nov 09

-- every day --

#33668 Mar 24, 2014
And some in the American right-wing put a false association between Factcheck.org and this Annenberg Challenge organization.

One publication the Annenberg company owned was our TV Guide. And it would be difficult to characterize Walter Annenberg as a Democrat.

http://www.factcheck.org/2008/10/he-lied-abou...

FactCheck.org and the ‘Annenberg Challenge’

Contrary to suggestions we’ve seen in some conservative blogs, there is no connection between the Chicago Annenberg Challenge and FactCheck.org , save for the fact that both received funding from the Annenberg Foundation. The foundation supports a wide variety of charitable causes – a total of 5,200 grants during its first 15 years of operation. It was founded in 1989 by Walter H. Annenberg, a newspaper and magazine publisher who died in 2002.

FactCheck.org is funded by, and is a project of, the Annenberg Public Policy Center, which was established by the Annenberg Foundation with a $20 million endowment in 1993. The Annenberg Foundation also made additional grants to support our work. We also receive funding from the Flora Family Foundation to help support our educational offshoot, FactCheckED.org . We receive no other outside funding.

FactCheck.org came into being in late 2003. Director Brooks Jackson states: "Our mission is to be as neutral and nonpartisan as humanly possible. Annenberg supports that, and nobody at the Annenberg Foundation has ever tried to influence anything we’ve written."

For the record, the Annenberg Foundation’s president and chairman is Leonore Annenberg, the founder’s widow. Public records show she’s given $2,300 to the McCain campaign, which announced on Oct. 8, that she has endorsed him for president.

-- every day --

#33669 Mar 24, 2014
This soil WAS the "New World". And for this new way, in this new country as articulated in our founding documents, it was built in large part by slavery; a blight for which there is no justification ... a'tall.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#33670 Mar 24, 2014
All these facts come from Freedom of Information requests, public laws, and various books that have been published, and have not been refuted by Clinton.
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/clintons/felon... Bill Clinton registers for the draft on September 08, 1964, accepting all contractual conditions of registering for the draft. Given Selective Service Number 3 26 46 228.

* Bill Clinton classified 2-S on November 17, 1964.

* Bill Clinton reclassified 1-A on March 20, 1968.

* Bill Clinton ordered to report for induction on July 28, 1969.

* Bill Clinton dishonors order to report and is not inducted into the military.

* Bill Clinton reclassified 1-D after enlisting in the United States Army Reserves on August 07, 1969 under authority of Col. E. Holmes. Clinton signs enlistment papers and takes oath of enlistment.

* Bill Clinton fails to report to his duty station at the University of Arkansas ROTC, September 1969.

* Bill Clinton reclassified 1-A on October 30, 1969, as enlistment with Army Reserves is revoked by Colonel E. Holmes and Clinton now AWOL and subject to arrest under Public Law 90-40 (2)(a)'registrant who has failed to report ... remain liable for induction'.

* Bill Clinton's birth date lottery number is 311, drawn December 1, 1969, but anyone who has already been ordered to report for induction, is INELIGIBLE!

* Bill Clinton runs for Congress (1974), while a fugitive from justice under Public Law 90-40.

* Bill Clinton runs for Arkansas Attorney General (1976), while a fugitive from justice.

* Bill Clinton receives pardon on January 21, 1977 from Carter.

* Bill Clinton FIRST PARDONED FEDERAL FELON ever to serve as President.

All these facts come from Freedom of Information requests, public laws, and various books that have been published, and have not been refuted by Clinton.
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/clintons/felon...

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#33671 Mar 24, 2014
play on words by some , Clinton went to Canada not to avoid the draft but to avoid the act of reporting.....

didn't Ali do the same ????? in principle
Pale Wild Wood Flower

Castroville, TX

#33672 Mar 24, 2014
lisa is on the run ... able can you get the moon to do that trick.. you know show all images... please the sooner we catcher the better she has all of our money and our vehicles that I have been ordering
Pale Wild Wood Flower

Castroville, TX

#33673 Mar 24, 2014
yeah I do love the moon and its tricks... NASA baby that's why you love me

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#33674 Mar 25, 2014
good day Lady El/Madame Grace .... gal is coming today can't wait , a good spring like day

does England hold the Robin as the 1st sign of spring

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#33675 Mar 25, 2014
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
oh my my my ..........
Lincoln often expressed moral opposition to slavery in public and private.[1] Initially, he expected to bring about the eventual extinction of slavery by stopping its further expansion into any U.S. territory, and by proposing compensated emancipation (an offer Congress applied to Washington, D.C.) in his early presidency. Lincoln stood by the Republican Party platform in 1860, which stated that slavery should not be allowed to expand into any more territories. Lincoln believed that the extension of slavery in the South, Mid-west, and Western lands would inhibit "free labor on free soil". In the 1850s, Lincoln was politically attacked as an abolitionist, but he did not consider himself one; he did not call for the immediate end of slavery everywhere in the U.S. until the proposed 13th Amendment became part of his party platform for the 1864 election.[
he expected to bring about the eventual extinction of slavery by stopping its further expansion into any U.S. territory, and by proposing compensated emancipation
existing states still had slaves and the secession states were being brought back to the Union by force ..........
the civil war was about secession not slavery ....no state can be a republic with in a democracy..... meaning you can not quit the Union and future states will be entered as free states .. no slavery
To a large part the war was about taxes on import goods. Slavery had little to do with the war at all. That is not what is commonly taught. Big difference between the way the North and the South look at the war of Northern Aggression :)

“Scotland The Brave”

Since: Jun 06

Plymouth, UK

#33676 Mar 25, 2014
This might be considered a naive question, but why didn't the
immigrants get their own fingers out, as opposed to the
barbaric way in which they conducted their business.

It is to my eternal shame that the county in which I was born,
relied heavily on the Southern States for cotton. I am referring
to Lancashire. During the Civil War our mills closed due to the lack
of cotton, weavers starved..and as a result died.

Just one aspect of those times.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#33677 Mar 25, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>To a large part the war was about taxes on import goods. Slavery had little to do with the war at all. That is not what is commonly taught. Big difference between the way the North and the South look at the war of Northern Aggression :)
the war was about secession ....... period

“Scotland The Brave”

Plymouth, UK

#33678 Mar 25, 2014
Wildbluerose wrote:
Hi There Lady Eleanor...
Thought I'd pop in and say HI and send you some good wishes..:o)
I hope that you are enjoying Spring... It's finally sprung here in the Valley even though we have snow predicted for tonight and tomorrow.. I hope that will be the last of it for this year... Checked my roses and they all managed to survive the Evil Polar Vortex.. My Strawberry plants made it too and I really expected them to die off... The ground was frozen for so long I can't believe they survived...
I read through the last few posts and thought I'd throw my two cents in on the topic... I am a descendant of two different tribes ( Blackfoot and Cherokee ) and while it in no way makes me happy there was indeed slavery among Native Americans.. Warring tribes often captured and sold their enemies..
http://nativeamericanhistory.about.com/od/con...
I hope that this post finds you happy and in good health... Sending You and Yours all of my best wishes for Peace, Love, Health and Happiness...((Love-n-Hugs))
@}-'--,---
Hello Dear Rose, so good to see you. Well that's wonderful that everything is coming up
roses and has survived the EVP! I have just come in from the garden, it is a mass of
colour, mostlyn yellows and blues, daffodils galore, muscari, primroses. oh and I discovered
two red primroses today, that was a nice surprise. The Astilbe have started to shoot up....
I read the link...it is so painful to read of our respective history....while we personally cannot
shoulder any blame, we just wish things had been so different.
It is a good thing that it has all come out.
On your ancestry..have you been able to trace far back?
I send all my best wishes to you ...<3
Gvgeyu!

“Scotland The Brave”

Plymouth, UK

#33679 Mar 25, 2014
tallyho wrote:
good day Lady El/Madame Grace .... gal is coming today can't wait , a good spring like day
does England hold the Robin as the 1st sign of spring
Good day to you Sir Tally..and to your good Lady....:)

The Robin winters here...funny you should ask that as I was talking to ours
a little while ago, he is very friendly and appears to be feeding young at the
moment as he grabbed some sunflower seeds and flew off pronto.
Hope yours shows very soon.

“Scotland The Brave”

Plymouth, UK

#33680 Mar 25, 2014
Pale Wild Wood Flower wrote:
yeah I do love the moon and its tricks... NASA baby that's why you love me
I seriously suggest you stop staring at the moon..you might do yourself a favour.

Big {{{HUGS}}} for you today, and well wishes for a lovely day, but please,
let have some conversation from you we can all understand....:)

“Scotland The Brave”

Plymouth, UK

#33681 Mar 25, 2014
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for sharing all that, Cuz El ! Your uncle was a Dunkirk evacuee, it seems ! I'm glad he came back and recovered nicely.
Good evening/morning Kitchen-eers.
He was. But in retrospect, TMI.....lol. But as I started I will finish.
Time went on, and the daughter my uncle's ex-wife bore, became
part of the extended family, all the sons of both marriages pulled
together..not saying one big happy family, but the siblings bore
no resentment, so a happy ending in reality.

Hope this finds you well Cuz Luke...and in the 'know' about the
baby in waiting.

Bora Da.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#33682 Mar 25, 2014
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
the war was about secession ....... period
And they wanted secession due to the import taxes and the money going to the industrial North.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#33683 Mar 25, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>And they wanted secession due to the import taxes and the money going to the industrial North.
ok see your thinking ..but the conflict was secession

“Scotland The Brave”

Plymouth, UK

#33684 Mar 25, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>And they wanted secession due to the import taxes and the money going to the industrial North.
Hi Denny...just saw you here and wanted to give you a shout...:)

I have finished Season 1 of Breaking Bad, I hope to get my hands on Season 2
shortly, I am going to have to 'make do' with watching the match tonight until I
get it sorted. A big one tonight, the two Manchester teams play each other.

Anyway, has been interesting hearing different perspectives, it all arose from
Grace and myself just saying we liked John Kerry! lol

Good to have a decent debate once in a while and keep it friendly.

-- every day --

#33685 Mar 25, 2014
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
He was. But in retrospect, TMI.....lol. But as I started I will finish.
Time went on, and the daughter my uncle's ex-wife bore, became
part of the extended family, all the sons of both marriages pulled
together..not saying one big happy family, but the siblings bore
no resentment, so a happy ending in reality.
Hope this finds you well Cuz Luke...and in the 'know' about the
baby in waiting.
Bora Da.
{{{Cuz El }}} good show; in reality, that's all that matters.:)

history for today -- 25 March

1911 – The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire (pictured) in New York City killed more than 140 sweatshop workers, many of whom could not escape because the doors to the stairwells and exits had been locked.
pivotal in New York City and state labor/safety/working conditions laws

Steps had to be taken to ensure safety of defendants by sheriff and National Guard to repel mob vigilante justice (i.e., lynching)
1931 – The Scottsboro Boys were arrested and charged [DW: in Alabama] with rape, leading to a legal case that eventually established legal principles in the United States that criminal defendants are entitled to effective assistance of counsel.

Excellent documentaries for each PBS American Experience
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American...

1972 -- my oldest daughter was born (the one that's already mommy of 5)

-- every day --

#33686 Mar 25, 2014
tallyho wrote:
play on words by some , Clinton went to Canada not to avoid the draft but to avoid the act of reporting.....
didn't Ali do the same ????? in principle
Good on ya for using the snopes link that I also used.

So .... WHEN did Clinton go to Canada? and most importantly, HOW do you know (where does this info come from)?

-- every day --

#33687 Mar 25, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>To a large part the war was about taxes on import goods. Slavery had little to do with the war at all. That is not what is commonly taught. Big difference between the way the North and the South look at the war of Northern Aggression :)
Economics was indeed fundamental to the American Civil War. The economics of the South was still based on the economics of slavery -- now THAT'S slave wages indeed.

And the real deal is that the South started the War firing on the federal Ft. Sumter; in truth, the War of Southern Aggression.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Word - Spelled Out G*A*M*E 7 min Hoosier Hillbilly 56
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 9 min Belle Tired 146,956
last word - first (Jun '12) 14 min Hoosier Hillbilly 6,935
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 17 min Hoosier Hillbilly 54,562
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 18 min Hoosier Hillbilly 7,070
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 20 min Hoosier Hillbilly 40,250
30,000 post wins (May '13) 21 min 40ish 1,735
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 2 hr Exodus 20 - 16 5,554
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 2 hr Princess Hey 20,036
10-Year-Old Goldfish Undergoes Brain Surgery 5 hr charADE Modcvnt X... 25