El's Kitchen

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#33384 Mar 10, 2014
good morning LADY EL/MADAME GRACE
Point of interest :

to my critic [troll] who say earlier on topix i was all wet on windows being phase out Updated: Monday, March 10 2014, 05:41 AM EDT Redmond, Wash.(AP)- The end is near - for those computers still running Microsoft's XP operating system. As announced earlier, Microsoft will soon end support for the operating system it first rolled out in 2001. That means there will be no more technical support or security updates for the operating system. Microsoft says the date XP is dead in its eyes is April 8. Those who are using XP are being asked to go a special Web site to get information on how to upgrade their systems. Microsoft is urging users to step up to Windows 8. It is more stable than previous versions of Microsoft's operating systems.(56 min ago |
SIPPI CUP

Adrian, MI

#33385 Mar 10, 2014
Grace Nerissa wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the poem on
ALZHEIMERS I posted this afternoon..
appeared or not-
Thanks
It was post 33375:
I cannot understand what the problem might be>
that recently whenever I post a poem it vanishes!
not here, ya must have been reported earlier, now you are on the short list, welcome

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#33386 Mar 10, 2014
Good morning everyone. I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. My wife retires the 28th after 30 years with the same company. She hired two people to replace her and was supposed to train them for the next two years. After 6 month of training she was told to retire. They gave her a years salary so that was OK but if they want her back as a consultant it is going to be very expensive for them. She handled about 25 million dollars and the people who are replacing her don't have a clue what they are doing.
SIPPI CUP

Adrian, MI

#33387 Mar 10, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
Good morning everyone. I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. My wife retires the 28th after 30 years with the same company. She hired two people to replace her and was supposed to train them for the next two years. After 6 month of training she was told to retire. They gave her a years salary so that was OK but if they want her back as a consultant it is going to be very expensive for them. She handled about 25 million dollars and the people who are replacing her don't have a clue what they are doing.
but they work cheap

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#33388 Mar 10, 2014
SIPPI CUP wrote:
<quoted text>but they work cheap
Actually they are being paid a lot more than my wife was. One girl who will take over is a CPA but so what if she has a title but doesn't know how to do the job. It sure doesn't require being a CPA it requires knowledge of the systems and how a change in one area impacts another area. This is a multibillion dollar company. It really worked out great because my wifes boss quite and she would never been able to work for the person who replaced her boss and would have quit and walked away with no exit package. She is really looking forward to retirement :)

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#33389 Mar 10, 2014
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
don't blame her in the slightest...that happens here if you choose to drive slowly
most unnerving. I wish P would cut back but no.....80 mph on the Expressway
the other day...couple of occasions I allowed myself to scream! haha
In all fairness we wouldn't have got there in time had he not.
Your nephew following in your footsteps then.....you must be very proud.
more in his dad's and grandfather .. gran was at the Nuememburg trials dad was a county sheriff ...I was only a lawyer-judge

yes I'm but I never drop his name ,
SIPPI CUP

Adrian, MI

#33390 Mar 10, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Actually they are being paid a lot more than my wife was. One girl who will take over is a CPA but so what if she has a title but doesn't know how to do the job. It sure doesn't require being a CPA it requires knowledge of the systems and how a change in one area impacts another area. This is a multibillion dollar company. It really worked out great because my wifes boss quite and she would never been able to work for the person who replaced her boss and would have quit and walked away with no exit package. She is really looking forward to retirement :)
what a rat race

“Cool huh?”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#33391 Mar 10, 2014
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>Would never want the frogs to win but if they could beat Ireland for me next week,it should be in the bag for us then...Anyway I'm happy the sweaty socks lost yesterday..
I hate to admit this Krypt, but I can't understand the rules, plus, I believe they have
changed recently in order to prevent injuries......anyway, I think I will stick with
footie as I have only just grasped those 'offside' rules as set down by Europe......
Fingers crossed for England though every time.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#33392 Mar 10, 2014
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
more in his dad's and grandfather .. gran was at the Nuememburg trials dad was a county sheriff ...I was only a lawyer-judge
yes I'm but I never drop his name ,
"only a lawyer-judge".......modes t of ya Sir Tally.
It happens a lot that certain professions are in the genes,
seems to be the case with your nephew, may it carry on
down the line.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#33393 Mar 10, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
'Afternoon Denny.....
I am assuming a replacement of two due to the company growing since your wife
started there?
"Two years training"....I cannot understand why it would require that length of time.
One time I had my own small secretarial agency and would hire myself out at
whatever was required....as I was versed in all aspects of secretarial duties.
I would start at a firm on the Monday morning and by the afternoon would be au
fait with the workings of the said firm.
I then took a position as Book-keeper to one of the largest engineering companies
in the North of England, the elderly gent I was replacing spent one week showing
me the ropes....then I was on my own.
One week.
I would not have expected longer than that, in fact I considered one week far too
generous.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#33394 Mar 10, 2014
p.s.

wishing you both much happiness in your wife's retirement.

“Got'em figured out?”

Since: Nov 09

Think again

#33395 Mar 10, 2014
Good evening/morning Kitchen-eers ! Signs of Spring very evident from the end of last week ... appearance, activity, and increased vocalization of birdies: woodpeckers calling and drumming, robins bobbing, cardinals, and bluebirds paired and using nesting boxes in the 'hood.

At last ... at last. Er, well there's a "winter event" forecast for Tuesday eve and/or Wednesday morn, after being 60F today with 65F predicted for Tuesday high temp.

“Got'em figured out?”

Think again

#33396 Mar 10, 2014
Grace Nerissa wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the poem on
ALZHEIMERS I posted this afternoon..
appeared or not-
Thanks
It was post 33375:
I cannot understand what the problem might be>
that recently whenever I post a poem it vanishes!
There is a "post hole" where your poem should be, Grace. Seems fishy to me, as I cannot fathom why Topix would have any problem with poems you post, unless it's been from trumped up input by a poster with some kind of envious retribution in mind.

I will be in search of prior Spring pictures I possess for an avatar. But for now, I found a photo of a pair of Eastern(U.S) Bluebirds on-line.

“Got'em figured out?”

Think again

#33397 Mar 10, 2014
Yesterday, I joined my in-area daughters and the son-in-law for restaurant meal. T'was a birthday (later this week) celebratory meal for the mommy-to-be. She had a check-up last week and all is well. Check-up next month will entail the disclosure of baby's gender.

“Got'em figured out?”

Think again

#33398 Mar 10, 2014
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
After the event I read the article, watched the video. And I am truly humbled at this
moment in time.
As was I. You are 'one up' on me as, with my circumstance, I don't view very many videos.

Regarding the article:'"and got through it in 4 parts" meant reading a part at a time [well, it might have been 3 parts] because of the humbling, touching nature of the content. It required a "rest" at intervals before going on with it.

The pace of "progress" in research of this disease is very frustrating for sure. There's a blood test being researched for revealing the genetic and molecular traits in a person as early as possible toward early, more effective treatment. This is current news in the last 2 or 3 days.

Bora da.

“Got'em figured out?”

Think again

#33399 Mar 10, 2014
Geek show --------

Among that which show some things are bigger than ourselves is the universe, the cosmos.

But, this chap has the chops to tell:

http://www.npr.org/2014/02/27/283443670/neil-...

The transcript of the interview is available or read the highlights, or is available for listening. It pertains to the premiere of the 13 part COSMOS: A Space-Time Continuum that began last evening on American TV; the FOX channel and repeated on the National Geographic channel.

The series connects space, time, and life on earth (and beyond?).

"We are star-stuff".

“Got'em figured out?”

Think again

#33400 Mar 10, 2014
Taking my eve leave, leaving you all with something seen on the color TV a few days ago. I hope the video works. This CNN reporter does human interest, funny stories that are picked up and used locally by TV stations around the country.

Celebrities, including Prince Charles, doing on-camera TV weather:

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/topvi...

“Towards Spring”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#33401 Mar 10, 2014
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a "post hole" where your poem should be, Grace. Seems fishy to me, as I cannot fathom why Topix would have any problem with poems you post, unless it's been from trumped up input by a poster with some kind of envious retribution in mind.
I will be in search of prior Spring pictures I possess for an avatar. But for now, I found a photo of a pair of Eastern(U.S) Bluebirds on-line.
Thanks DW, El and LIM for replies on this-appreciated.

I can't understand it either, any poem I posted since Christmas
Suffered the same fate - disappeared in thin air,
yet my other posts all arrive ok?
I tell you, someone up there doesn't like my style lol.

Just for the fun of it, I'll post the poem again directly
after this post and see what happens!

Look out for another 'post hole':)

Love the blue birds, DW.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#33403 Mar 11, 2014
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
As was I. You are 'one up' on me as, with my circumstance, I don't view very many videos.
Regarding the article:'"and got through it in 4 parts" meant reading a part at a time [well, it might have been 3 parts] because of the humbling, touching nature of the content. It required a "rest" at intervals before going on with it.
The pace of "progress" in research of this disease is very frustrating for sure. There's a blood test being researched for revealing the genetic and molecular traits in a person as early as possible toward early, more effective treatment. This is current news in the last 2 or 3 days.
Bora da.
Bora da a qui, maen brave heddw.

Humble is not a word I often use, in fact I felt more dreadful than anything, having
voiced my views, and THEN 'meeting' this amazing coach....I immediately compared
to how I would feel if it were Sir Alex Ferguson.....tends to put everything in perspective.
I don't suppose I am alone in having witnessed Alhziemer's victims in the final stages,
where 'while there is life' does not apply....I was referring to that stage.
I heard about the blood test in the pipe-line....far more accurate one would hope than
supermarket assistants being trained to 'look out' for possible early stages in their
customers, in my opinion it could lead to interpretation, a word said wrongly here,
a word there, leaving one's card in the machine and floating off as I am in the habit of
doing.....
Talk about Big Brother.....

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#33404 Mar 11, 2014
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks DW, El and LIM for replies on this-appreciated.
I can't understand it either, any poem I posted since Christmas
Suffered the same fate - disappeared in thin air,
yet my other posts all arrive ok?
I tell you, someone up there doesn't like my style lol.
Just for the fun of it, I'll post the poem again directly
after this post and see what happens!
Look out for another 'post hole':)
Love the blue birds, DW.
I was hoping you would Grace....and it appears to have been removed
yet again. Strange. Can we find it on any thread by any chance?
A beautiful day here again, woke up to a heavy frost but the sun has
burst through, now then, did I hear right on the weather forecast this
morning...snow in Ireland?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word association (Jun '07) 3 min Crazy Jae 7,292
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 7 min Sublime1 6,960
Name something that gets past around (Feb '14) 10 min Judy 123 1,159
Two words only please! (Aug '08) 12 min Crazy Jae 41,965
OFFBEAT.keepAword.DropAword.2011edition (Oct '11) 12 min andet1987 21,253
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 12 min Judy 123 24,967
only TWO words! (Nov '08) 14 min Crazy Jae 28,148
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 22 min wichita-rick 227,197
What's for dinner? (Feb '12) 32 min Crazy Jae 9,782
What Turns You Off? (Jan '17) 42 min Bacchus MC 1,219