“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#33205 Feb 23, 2014
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Denny...you too. Raining here (just for a change) but much much warmer...48F
today...can't be bad.
That is a heat wave for you this time of year :)

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Since: Jun 06

Liverpool, UK

#33206 Feb 24, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>That is a heat wave for you this time of year :)
You got that right Denny....so what it has been the wettest Winter since records
began, lol.
Today it is sunny one minute, raining the next, but overall very pleasant.
At the risk of sounding repetitive, some flood damage here, so sorting it during
the next few days.
Have a great day Darlin'...:)

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#33207 Feb 24, 2014
what a great day ...MON...the Power Repair crews are out , the insurance adjusters are making their rounds
pot holes/sink holes/bullet holes/knife holes .. and in all of this mess... the birds are gathering grass..salmon swimming up stream, bears are stirring rabbit looking for hippy hop
what more can we ask for

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#33208 Feb 24, 2014
GOOD MORNING LADY EL/MADAME GRACE

and slack , who took time out of his busy schedule to pay
me a visit this fine fine am

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Liverpool, UK

#33209 Feb 24, 2014
tallyho wrote:
what a great day ...MON...the Power Repair crews are out , the insurance adjusters are making their rounds
pot holes/sink holes/bullet holes/knife holes .. and in all of this mess... the birds are gathering grass..salmon swimming up stream, bears are stirring rabbit looking for hippy hop
what more can we ask for
Life goes on .....was just outside and heard baby birds making a real racket as
they flew the nest for the first time....
and the sun is shining.....:)
It's all good.

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Liverpool, UK

#33210 Feb 24, 2014
tallyho wrote:
Wishing you Sir Tally, a very Good Morning..

and a Good Day to All who visit here this day.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#33211 Feb 24, 2014
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
You got that right Denny....so what it has been the wettest Winter since records
began, lol.
Today it is sunny one minute, raining the next, but overall very pleasant.
At the risk of sounding repetitive, some flood damage here, so sorting it during
the next few days.
Have a great day Darlin'...:)
My friends in Brighton have been been very wet with fields flooded for a long time. It has turned colder with highs in the 40s for the next 4 days then back to the 70's
FINE IN MICHIGAN

Durand, MI

#33212 Feb 24, 2014
tallyho wrote:
just got here, what you talkin about pops?
FINE IN MICHIGAN

Durand, MI

#33213 Feb 24, 2014
anyway, anyone want a little pot

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#33214 Feb 25, 2014
Good mornin'/ tea-time Kitchen-eers!

Tea ... Earl Grey ... hot![please], being a might chilly here with overcast sky.

I don't have an Uncle Dave for inspiration, but this is a "Why didn't I think of this?!" story about 2 guys from Tally's neck o'the woods (saw these guys on the color TV this weekend).

http://gizmodo.com/how-the-jacket-zipper-was-...

"The Quickzip story starts in upstate New York, hundreds of miles from Under Armour's massive research and development center in Baltimore, Maryland. Engineer Scott Peters' Uncle Dave was living with myotonic dystrophy, a degenerative disease. Among the condition's many, variable consequences is a loss of muscular dexterity in the extremities, and for Peters' uncle, that meant zipping up a coat in the long, miserable winter near Buffalo, New York was a terrible burden."

Now, from the sublime to the ridiculous:

http://homes.yahoo.com/news/bathing-sphere-su...

informs against BS

#33215 Feb 25, 2014
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
I found it VERY interesting and useful, Ell.
thanks for bringing it here -
I loved the 'staying alive piece:) now that was CLEVER.
I MAY HAVE BEEN WRONG ABOUT THE FENCE,
I THINK YOU WERE WORKING OUTDOORS REINSTATING 'SOMETHING'
THAT WAS BLOWN AWAY BY THE STORM!
DERN!
Sorry,
didn't realise I was on capitals,
AND
too lazy to redo it:)
A Warm GOOD DAY to all on the thread.
yerGrace, this week I'm touring the River Shannon, and I'm sure I will be the better for it.:)
hope you have the program available to view soon:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/irela...

on last week's Nature, the Honey Badger program was educational and entertaining.

informs against BS

#33216 Feb 25, 2014
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
"It's so nice to see you back where you belong tra la"
Ooooh! Now then. Dolly the cloned sheep. Let me think. Oh yes.
She was Finn-Dorset I believe. lol (according to Wiki that is)
Interestingly, I learnt that she was served by a Welsh Ram, a very
noble beast, and over three 'litters' produced six lambs.
Good Morning Deer Luke.
Thanks mightily for your expertise, Cuz El !:) There was another significance of the date. Because our country celebrated a National Holiday for all of our presidents on 17 February (this year's date), it didn't come to mind that 22 February is the birthday of our first one, George Washington.

Hope your flood damage is getting sorted swimmingly.:)

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#33217 Feb 25, 2014
good evening LADY EL/ MADAME GRACE ...

hope all is well ....bought a deep/fryer for some reason chicken wings are on my mind

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#33218 Feb 25, 2014
please note the presidents day was for Washington/Lincoln because one was the 12th/22nd so closing the for both dates was bad for the world of business

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#33219 Feb 25, 2014
INFO:

By the 20th century, ideas had begun to shift around the celebration of Washington's birthday. President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Uniform Monday Holiday Act into law in 1968, shifting Veterans Day, Memorial Day, and Washington's Birthday to Mondays in order to lengthen weekends. According to The American Presidency Project, LBJ hoped this shift would allow Americans more time to travel and be with their families.

This Act, now inscribed in law under Title 5 Section 6013 of the United States Code, didn't change the name of the holiday to "Presidents Day," and the federal government still recognizes the holiday only as "Washington's Birthday."

The advent of "Presidents Day" was really pushed by business.

“Groooovin'”

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#33220 Feb 25, 2014
EL..Chick!! Are ya having a SALE on your MUFFINS!! This place is HOPPING!!

Okay then..I'll take Two Banana Nut Muffins and a HOT cup of French Roast.. Thanx!!!

Tallyho ...Cool Info..Every Holiday has a Business ANGLE to it!! From Flowers to a Sports car!!

Have a Good one also!!

informs against BS

#33221 Feb 25, 2014
Petal Power wrote:
EL..Chick!! Are ya having a SALE on your MUFFINS!! This place is HOPPING!!
Okay then..I'll take Two Banana Nut Muffins and a HOT cup of French Roast.. Thanx!!!
Tallyho ...Cool Info..Every Holiday has a Business ANGLE to it!! From Flowers to a Sports car!!
Have a Good one also!!
It's a Presidents' Day Sale!

informs against BS

#33222 Feb 25, 2014
tallyho wrote:
INFO:
By the 20th century, ideas had begun to shift around the celebration of Washington's birthday. President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Uniform Monday Holiday Act into law in 1968, shifting Veterans Day, Memorial Day, and Washington's Birthday to Mondays in order to lengthen weekends. According to The American Presidency Project, LBJ hoped this shift would allow Americans more time to travel and be with their families.
This Act, now inscribed in law under Title 5 Section 6013 of the United States Code, didn't change the name of the holiday to "Presidents Day," and the federal government still recognizes the holiday only as "Washington's Birthday."
The advent of "Presidents Day" was really pushed by business.
Yes, federal law stipulates Washington's Birthday for the official designation.

Monday holiday act also included Columbus Day. But Veteran's Day was moved back to November 11 for the official observance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Monday_H...

"The Act moved Washington's Birthday (originally February 22), Memorial Day (May 30), Columbus Day (October 12), and Veterans Day (November 11) from fixed dates to designated Mondays. The Act was designed to increase the number of three-day weekends for federal employees.[2] Veterans Day was removed from this list of "always-on-Monday" holidays when it was moved back to its traditional date of November 11, by act of Congress in 1975, effective 1978."

informs against BS

#33223 Feb 25, 2014
tallyho wrote:
please note the presidents day was for Washington/Lincoln because one was the 12th/22nd so closing the for both dates was bad for the world of business
Where Lincoln is concerned, it's always been a sticky wicket. There's been historical resistance of some, if not all, southern states to observe Lincoln's birthday as an official state holiday. The Wikipedia article about Washington's Birthday/Presidents' Day discusses/list the variation of official state observances of both birthdays.

For Federal official observance, these articles include the notion of celebrating the legacies of all past presidents of the U.S.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sh...

"Ask a handful of people who the holiday is meant to recognize, and you aren’t likely to get the same answers. In fact, what is generally called Presidents’ Day is still recognized by the U.S. government as Washington’s Birthday.**** USA.gov **** lists it like this: George Washington’s Birthday (Presidents’ Day)– February 17 and it describes the holiday this way:

Washington’s Birthday

Washington’s Birthday is observed the third Monday of February in honor George Washington, the first President of the United States. This date is commonly called Presidents’ Day and many groups honor the legacy of past presidents on this date."

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/washin...

"Washington's Birthday, also known as Presidents' Day, is a federal holiday held on the third Monday of February. The day honors presidents of the United States, including George Washington, the USA's first president."

"Washington's Birthday officially honors the life and work of George Washington, the first president of the United States. The day commemorates past presidents of the USA. Washington's Birthday is sometimes known as Presidents' Day. This is because while most states have adopted Washington's Birthday, some states officially celebrate Presidents' Day."

This holiday is legally designated as "Washington’s Birthday". Though other institutions such as state and local governments and private businesses may use other names, it is the federal government’s policy to always refer to holidays by the names designated in the law.

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

‘

#33224 Feb 25, 2014
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
yerGrace, this week I'm touring the River Shannon, and I'm sure I will be the better for it.:)
hope you have the program available to view soon:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/irela...
on last week's Nature, the Honey Badger program was educational and entertaining.
That was great, DW it is indeed lovely
In that 'neck of the woods'

I'm waiting patiently for your SPRING avatar!
Your winter ones were so picturesque.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 31 min deutscher Nationa... 132,693
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 40 min _hellbilly_ 321
Make a Story / 4 Words Only (Nov '08) 44 min Grace Nerissa 24,784
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 51 min Roy Rogers and Pluto 26,690
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 53 min Favorite school s... 2,954
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 55 min Cause leaf problems 30,000
Change "1" letter =ONLY= (Oct '12) 58 min My 1st boat ride 4,243
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr wichita-rick 152,513
Is it possible to....... 4 hr CJ Rocker 578
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 5 hr Mega Monster 7,582
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 5 hr Sarah 25,711
More from around the web