Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

tallyho wrote:
ITEM:
The story of this brutal winter may best be told 60 miles east of Buffalo, where a mine runs as deep as the Empire State Building is tall.
It's here where you'll find a couple hundred miners 1,300 feet below ground working nine-hour shifts, seven days a week to keep up with the nation's voracious appetite for this season's hottest commodity: Salt.
Indeed, salt for road/street treatment for winter weather is in such demand, and there are shortages and order backlogs all around.

Alternatives for pre-treating are a brine solution, or a "beet juice" treatment, and another -- that might be "pickle juice" (but I'm vague on recalling what it was).

Good morning/late-for-tea, Kitchen-eers.

“defusing Bundy mind-bombs ”

Since: Nov 09

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

Paisley_Posey wrote:
<quoted text>Something CRAZY, my great-grandfather was the constable of Marion when that happened. My grandfather was a young boy and though told to stay home when his father got wind of it and left to try to stop it, he snuck off on his bike to follow him, and almost witnessed his father coming to his end, too. Great-grandpa resigned the next day, and it haunted him until his death. Ironic, that they lived in the home my great grandmother was born in, in 1899; and that house was built by her family in 1844, and a part of the Underground Railroad. It was on the National Register of Historic Places, until it burned down in the late 90s.
Very interesting for a family connection to history, Paisley.

With a little more research, one might find several random (or are they?) connections in life's web -- an x degrees of separation:

The author of Strange Fruit, inspired by the lynching photograph:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abel_Meeropol
Abel Meeropol (February 10, 1903 - October 30, 1986) was an American writer, teacher[1] and song-writer, best known under his pseudonym Lewis Allan and as the adoptive father of the young sons of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.[2]

The photographer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Beitler
Lynching photos were made into postcards to show off civic pride and white supremacy, but the tortured bodies and grotesquely happy crowds ended up angering and revolting as many as they scared. The photo sold thousands of copies, which Beitler stayed up for 10 days and nights printing them.

>>> Every time you hear Bob Dylan’s somewhat hard-to-listen-to Desolation Row, the first line you heard is “They’re selling postcards of the hanging”, inspired by the above photo [no primary source for this though -- but it's plausible: DW]

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
God greetings back Tally and ... a happy day
to ALL on the thread,
a touch of Spring here today - O joy!
Salutations returned Grace. Glad for ya Springy thingy. Yesterday's weather wasn't great, but it coulda been worse -- way worse. Sunny with melting temps in the near and 7-day forecast.

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

SIPPI CUP wrote:
my aquaponic systems are becoming more interesting to a variety of reasons to a more and more diverse audience
been at this for 20 yrs, I am sounding less crazy all the time
Sorry about the new snow/ice up there. Did you see my post to you about aquaponics a few days ago?

“Autumn”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

Mexican Hillbilly wrote:
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I have forgotten about this episode!
I used to get off work in the '70's, drink some beer, smoke a joint with my friends, and watch Monty Python! We would lay on the floor crying our eyes out laughing. We didn't need a joint!
Most of American comedy is copied from Croft and his partner (I can't remember). I hope they put "Are you being served?" on again in the States. I only have "Keeping Up Appearances" now. Dave Allen was fantastic!!!
"Tank you, Tank you, Tank you!".- Lawrence Welk
Do you remember this one:)

I never tire of it!

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed, salt for road/street treatment for winter weather is in such demand, and there are shortages and order backlogs all around.
Alternatives for pre-treating are a brine solution, or a "beet juice" treatment, and another -- that might be "pickle juice" (but I'm vague on recalling what it was).
we have plenty , it is that it can not be mined fast enough ..this year

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

I think this is what you mean ... but where do your get enough ??????????

The city of Bergen County, New Jersey, is slated to become the most delicious smelling city in America. Provided, of course, that you are a fan of deli pickles. In the wake of a rough, stormy winter season on the east coast, the affluent enclave has turned to pickle brine as a cheaper alternative rock salt to keep their roads clear and navigable.

From the Time Magazine newsfeed blog:

And the price can’t be beat: the briny mixture costs just 7 cents a gallon, compared to $63 a ton for salt. Quick math works the pickle juice out to roughly $16 per ton [...]

gotta have a hell of a summer time aroma
SIPPI CUP

Durand, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry about the new snow/ice up there. Did you see my post to you about aquaponics a few days ago?
on this thread?5823

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

SIPPI CUP wrote:
<quoted text>on this thread?5823
Never mind ... it's all good. I realize that it was a 2-part post.

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/weird/TTJVITJ...

You replied to the "revolution" part. I guess that I assumed that you took the rest as an FYI and declined to reply to that. I'm good with that. I looked up a couple of "Bulgaria" sources and didn't reply back either (it takes me awhile to load up some news sources to read).

Earth Day -- every day

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

tallyho wrote:
I think this is what you mean ... but where do your get enough ??????????
The city of Bergen County, New Jersey, is slated to become the most delicious smelling city in America. Provided, of course, that you are a fan of deli pickles. In the wake of a rough, stormy winter season on the east coast, the affluent enclave has turned to pickle brine as a cheaper alternative rock salt to keep their roads clear and navigable.
From the Time Magazine newsfeed blog:
And the price can’t be beat: the briny mixture costs just 7 cents a gallon, compared to $63 a ton for salt. Quick math works the pickle juice out to roughly $16 per ton [...]
gotta have a hell of a summer time aroma
That was probably it -- pickle brine, Tally. I probably saw it on network TV evening news. Thanks.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
That was probably it -- pickle brine, Tally. I probably saw it on network TV evening news. Thanks.
I didn't doubt ya was curious .....
SIPPI CUP

Durand, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

tallyho wrote:
your size
so who lied to you?

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

you are smaller...
SIPPI CUP

Durand, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

tallyho wrote:
you are smaller...
what are you talking about?

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

it is above your head ... now make you last one a good one .....
SIPPI CUP

Durand, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
beat juice? sugar?
SIPPI CUP

Durand, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

hey pops,your slip is showing
SIPPI CUP

Durand, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Never mind ... it's all good. I realize that it was a 2-part post.
Luke, thanks for bringing it to my attention, just missed it, lots going on here and this dude is on the same track as I am, thanks again
SIPPI CUP

Durand, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

lol, Luke I know Cecil from the second link, quite a character, he attends the Michigan Aquaculture Association meetings

“Poppies. Tower of London”

Since: Jun 06

Liverpool, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2014

Judged:

'Morning!
Busy assisting in replacing fencing yesterday which blew down
in the winds which hit us....later lost power for some unknown
reason as it was a lovely day here yesterday.....time it came back
on, so much to do, so little time, lol

Masses of interesting conversations here, I will enjoy catching up
with y'all. Gradually. My services are required outside again....(:

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••