“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#33045 Feb 17, 2014
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Safe journey Paise...allow yourself plenty of time to get there, and back,
and take some refreshments with you...no need to telly you, I know.
btw...I saw something about Agave in a forum to the effect that it is dangerous
to health, cannot find the thread again, it was quoting from Huffington Post,
I shall try to find the link. While others say it is healthy...so I want to know based
on what evidence...
Peace today when paying your respects to the deceased, and catch you later.
Thank you El, it was dry going down but treacherous coming back. Everyone was driving cautiously, I think folks have seen enough accidents and slide-offs this Winter that it's made Nervous Nelly's of us all, lol. But we're back.
Oh the disappearing posts! I posted a reply to you with a link about the agave nectar and it must not be showing, so I'll repost. I really like the taste of it, and you do use less of it than sugar, but it has some drawbacks that upon learning them I've cut us back from daily use (hubby was sweetening his coffee with it), to the occasional treat. Everything in moderation.
I hope good weather is holding for you. Our warmest day since early November is bringing the risk of severe thunderstorms with it on Thursday...figures, lol.
Thank you for the well wishes, this funeral was for hubby's great uncle, a well-loved and elderly gentleman who has gone home after a well-lived life. The funeral was truly a celebration of his life. He wanted dancing at his funeral, so on the closing song his grandson held out his hand to his now-widowed grandmother, Nat King Cole's 'Unforgettable' was played and very quickly the whole of the chapel was filled with dancing couples, laughter, and profound appreciation. It was a beautiful service.

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Location hidden

#33046 Feb 17, 2014
El, in re to agave nectar, for your consideration;

http://nourishedkitchen.com/when-natural-food...

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrit...
This one,#s 4 and 5 gave me pause.

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Location hidden

#33047 Feb 17, 2014
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion,_Indiana#...
"The event in Marion was notable as the last confirmed lynching of blacks in the Northern United States."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_Fruit
Billie Holiday most known for song.
"Strange Fruit" is a poem written by Abel Meeropol, a white, Jewish high school teacher from the Bronx and a member of the Communist Party, as a protest against lynchings. He sometimes published under the pen name Lewis Allan, after two sons who were stillborn.[6][7]
The lyrics, very similar to those of Théodore de Banville's poem "Le Verger Du Roi Louis" written seventy years before, are under copyright but have been republished in full in an
>>>> academic journal, with permission.[8] In the poem, Meeropol expressed his horror at >>>>lynchings. He had seen Lawrence Beitler's photograph of the 1930 lynching of Thomas >>>>Shipp and Abram Smith in Marion, Indiana.[7] He published the poem under the title
"Bitter Fruit" in 1937 in The New York Teacher, a union magazine.[9] Though Meeropol had often asked others (notably Earl Robinson) to set his poems to music, he set "Strange Fruit" to music himself and the piece gained a certain success as a protest song in and around New York. Meeropol, his wife, and black vocalist Laura Duncan performed it at Madison Square Garden.[10]
Something CRAZY, my great-grandfather was the constable of Marion when that happened. My grandfather was a young boy and though told to stay home when his father got wind of it and left to try to stop it, he snuck off on his bike to follow him, and almost witnessed his father coming to his end, too. Great-grandpa resigned the next day, and it haunted him until his death. Ironic, that they lived in the home my great grandmother was born in, in 1899; and that house was built by her family in 1844, and a part of the Underground Railroad. It was on the National Register of Historic Places, until it burned down in the late 90s.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#33048 Feb 18, 2014
morning LADY EL/MADAME GRACE .....

a whopping 28 plus degrees here , damn better start Robin
looking ..... well it is spring any how baseball camps open Tues or Weds next week ....

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#33049 Feb 18, 2014
Good morning El and all in the kitchen. Going to be 77 in Dallas today
SIPPI CUP

Durand, MI

#33050 Feb 18, 2014
got dumped on again last night, 6 feet deep in the back

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#33051 Feb 18, 2014
ever wonder , how deep is snow flurries ..to a dwarf

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#33052 Feb 18, 2014
finally figured out why you don't have midget footballers

grass tickles the balls
SIPPI CUP

Durand, MI

#33053 Feb 18, 2014
tallyho wrote:
ever wonder , how deep is snow flurries ..to a dwarf
how tall of a dwarf?

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

‘

#33054 Feb 18, 2014
SIPPI CUP wrote:
got dumped on again last night, 6 feet deep in the back
That's hard luck LIM

I'm more worried about the sink holes that keep appearing!
several have shown up in England and one here yesterday near a mine.

hat is SO scary to think the ground could just open up before you with no
warning!

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#33055 Feb 18, 2014
your size

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

‘

#33056 Feb 18, 2014
Paisley_Posey wrote:
<quoted text>lol yes that poster also errs in the assumption that you give a dayum...
I LOVED this! Such a 'Smooth Criminal'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =gVsI3Jz4d8cXX
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Two GREAT links PP..
animals always provide such fun,
and are quite unaware they are doing so. LOL.

I LOVE this one, beautiful
from a few angles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
SIPPI CUP

Durand, MI

#33057 Feb 18, 2014
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
That's hard luck LIM
I'm more worried about the sink holes that keep appearing!
several have shown up in England and one here yesterday near a mine.
hat is SO scary to think the ground could just open up before you with no
warning!
it is worse than when the levy breaks cuz the wells are dry

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

‘

#33058 Feb 18, 2014
tallyho wrote:
morning LADY EL/MADAME GRACE .....
a whopping 28 plus degrees here , damn better start Robin
looking ..... well it is spring any how baseball camps open Tues or Weds next week ....
God greetings back Tally and ... a happy day
to ALL on the thread,
a touch of Spring here today - O joy!
SIPPI CUP

Durand, MI

#33059 Feb 18, 2014
my aquaponic systems are becoming more interesting to a variety of reasons to a more and more diverse audience

been at this for 20 yrs, I am sounding less crazy all the time

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#33060 Feb 18, 2014
tallyho wrote:
ITEM:
The story of this brutal winter may best be told 60 miles east of Buffalo, where a mine runs as deep as the Empire State Building is tall.
It's here where you'll find a couple hundred miners 1,300 feet below ground working nine-hour shifts, seven days a week to keep up with the nation's voracious appetite for this season's hottest commodity: Salt.
Indeed, salt for road/street treatment for winter weather is in such demand, and there are shortages and order backlogs all around.

Alternatives for pre-treating are a brine solution, or a "beet juice" treatment, and another -- that might be "pickle juice" (but I'm vague on recalling what it was).

Good morning/late-for-tea, Kitchen-eers.

informs against BS

#33061 Feb 18, 2014
Paisley_Posey wrote:
<quoted text>Something CRAZY, my great-grandfather was the constable of Marion when that happened. My grandfather was a young boy and though told to stay home when his father got wind of it and left to try to stop it, he snuck off on his bike to follow him, and almost witnessed his father coming to his end, too. Great-grandpa resigned the next day, and it haunted him until his death. Ironic, that they lived in the home my great grandmother was born in, in 1899; and that house was built by her family in 1844, and a part of the Underground Railroad. It was on the National Register of Historic Places, until it burned down in the late 90s.
Very interesting for a family connection to history, Paisley.

With a little more research, one might find several random (or are they?) connections in life's web -- an x degrees of separation:

The author of Strange Fruit, inspired by the lynching photograph:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abel_Meeropol
Abel Meeropol (February 10, 1903 - October 30, 1986) was an American writer, teacher[1] and song-writer, best known under his pseudonym Lewis Allan and as the adoptive father of the young sons of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.[2]

The photographer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Beitler
Lynching photos were made into postcards to show off civic pride and white supremacy, but the tortured bodies and grotesquely happy crowds ended up angering and revolting as many as they scared. The photo sold thousands of copies, which Beitler stayed up for 10 days and nights printing them.

>>> Every time you hear Bob Dylan’s somewhat hard-to-listen-to Desolation Row, the first line you heard is “They’re selling postcards of the hanging”, inspired by the above photo [no primary source for this though -- but it's plausible: DW]

informs against BS

#33062 Feb 18, 2014
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
God greetings back Tally and ... a happy day
to ALL on the thread,
a touch of Spring here today - O joy!
Salutations returned Grace. Glad for ya Springy thingy. Yesterday's weather wasn't great, but it coulda been worse -- way worse. Sunny with melting temps in the near and 7-day forecast.

informs against BS

#33063 Feb 18, 2014
SIPPI CUP wrote:
my aquaponic systems are becoming more interesting to a variety of reasons to a more and more diverse audience
been at this for 20 yrs, I am sounding less crazy all the time
Sorry about the new snow/ice up there. Did you see my post to you about aquaponics a few days ago?

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

‘

#33064 Feb 18, 2014
Mexican Hillbilly wrote:
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I have forgotten about this episode!
I used to get off work in the '70's, drink some beer, smoke a joint with my friends, and watch Monty Python! We would lay on the floor crying our eyes out laughing. We didn't need a joint!
Most of American comedy is copied from Croft and his partner (I can't remember). I hope they put "Are you being served?" on again in the States. I only have "Keeping Up Appearances" now. Dave Allen was fantastic!!!
"Tank you, Tank you, Tank you!".- Lawrence Welk
Do you remember this one:)

I never tire of it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 2 min beatlesinafog 7,615
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 3 min Judy 123 55,312
~`*`~ Create a sentence using the 'letters' of ... (Oct '12) 8 min beatlesinafog 1,789
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 17 min NZ Police 7,758
New "Drop one Word" With Famous People's Names (Oct '12) 19 min whatimeisit 446
Did you get all you wanted for Christmas? 19 min Hoosier Hillbilly 1
last word/first word. (Apr '12) 26 min Hoosier Hillbilly 5,201
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 hr Blitzking 133,975
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr _hellbilly_ 152,773
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 3 hr Just TLC 3,000
Post "any three words" (Sep '12) 6 hr andet1987 1,127
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 11 hr BLOODY__FATALITY 25,838
More from around the web