|
Feb 16, 2014

Judged:

eleanorigby wrote:
Just watched one of most entertaining Graham Norton chat shows
ever......Matt Damon, Billy Murray and Hugh Bonneville (Downton
Abbey) along with Paloma Faith.
The male guests were discussing their roles in Monuments Men
which opens in London this weekend. Trailers were shown.
Regardless of omissions, I MUST see this movie. All credit to
George Clooney in retrospect.
I don't mind admitting when I have gone OTT.
and John Goodman too!

When this subject was discussed previously, I used the word "entertainment" which was a lame word, but functional in an "umbrella" sense.

Films based on factual events deviate because of budget and time ... all the time. Characters may be merged, or completely omitted. Band of Brothers would be an example. I would guess Schindler's List might be one also. Lordy, our film-makers and television offering creators have played with U.S. history and make myths out of it and our "heroes" quite frequently.

Sometimes a location might be wrong, or a sequence of events.

There is also the "need" to tell an entertaining (however the meaning), compelling story.

These films have value as they are catalysts in folks digging and knowing more about little-known events, facts, and people and what it really was all about. Or in some cases, the real deal about well-known history.
SIPPI

Hart, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2014

Judged:

Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel ya. My brain goes murky tryin' to spell Alburkerkey.
sup CUP!
Watched this documentary yesterday about the involvement and responsibility of the Mississippi Sovereignty Council -- an official state government entity, that channeled info to state and local police units which also meant Klan (with police as members)-- in restraining civil rights/voting initiatives, including the murder of the 3 civil rights activists (" Mississippi Burning" ) near Philadelphia, MS in 1964. This info was amassed by hired private detective agencies with black employees and volunteer black spies who were invested in the existing power structures of segregation.
http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/spies-of-m...
I have been called a N#### lover on back roads in the Magnolia State, never corrected them because to use a vernacular they could understand I would have to agree with them so I would smile and wave

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2014

Judged:

SIPPI wrote:
<quoted text>I have been called a N#### lover on back roads in the Magnolia State, never corrected them because to use a vernacular they could understand I would have to agree with them so I would smile and wave
I was driving from Ft. Polk in Leesville across the state to Slidell, LA back in mid '88 and I swear when I went through the small town of Oakdale (think stinky paper mills) I saw a sign that said

"Negro Curfew
Sun-down Sun-up"

It was just a couple of weeks after I'd moved there from IN, and I was flabbergasted. I do believe that right around that time interracial marriage was still illegal in the state as well. But over in the southeastern portion of the state (mostly cajun) race relations seemed much warmer, better even than up north here. I saw much more voluntary desegregation in neighborhoods, churches and socially than I still do, here. Strange in LA in the late 80s I saw both the worst and the best I've known in the same state. LA is like that though, a land of contradictions. Made some pralines, thought about you. Hey have you tried BlueBell's Pecan Praline ice cream????? BEST store-bought ice cream EVER!
SIPPI

Hart, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2014

Judged:

they don't have that problem here, they just kill them if they don't leave

the "South" has nothing on this place when it comes to the KKK and the good old boy club

“"Eatin' Ain't Cheatin!"”

Level 1

Since: Sep 06

Thompson's Station, Tn

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2014

Judged:

I live now near Pulaski, TN. This is where they tortured, burnt, and hung black people from their trees.
You would not know it driving through.

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2014

Judged:

SIPPI wrote:
they don't have that problem here, they just kill them if they don't leave
the "South" has nothing on this place when it comes to the KKK and the good old boy club
I'll have to agree with you there, some small towns in Indiana have a lot of unspoken 'rules'.

“Ridin' The Devils Little Horse”

Since: Mar 08

Straight To Hells Door

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2014

Judged:

Hi Lady Eleanor...
Just a quick fly by to say I hope that the rains have let up and that your skies are clear and bright... Wishing you and yours Peace, Love, Health and Happiness... Sweet Dreams and a Peaceful Night...
<3 @}-'--,---

Sending Warm Wishes To all The Good Folks who visit El's Kitchen...
@}-'--,---

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2014

Judged:

Wildbluerose wrote:
Hi Lady Eleanor...
Just a quick fly by to say I hope that the rains have let up and that your skies are clear and bright... Wishing you and yours Peace, Love, Health and Happiness... Sweet Dreams and a Peaceful Night...
<3 @}-'--,---
@}-'--,---
I do believe El reported a nice sunny day yesterday.
I didn't want to leave a reply to you in that other thread, so I 'followed' you here, lol.

I have to travel to Bloomington and back tomorrow for a funeral, and I'm hoping the freezing rain isn't too bad.
I hope you're having an evening as sweet as you are.

“Dai Bach”

Since: Jun 06

Exeter, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Judged:

Mexican Hillbilly wrote:
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I have forgotten about this episode!
I used to get off work in the '70's, drink some beer, smoke a joint with my friends, and watch Monty Python! We would lay on the floor crying our eyes out laughing. We didn't need a joint!
Most of American comedy is copied from Croft and his partner (I can't remember). I hope they put "Are you being served?" on again in the States. I only have "Keeping Up Appearances" now. Dave Allen was fantastic!!!
"Tank you, Tank you, Tank you!".- Lawrence Welk
YW. Glad you enjoyed.....:) I think it appealed more to men myself, but have to
admit, really funny.
I loved Dave Allen too.....but turn to the US for comedy programmes, for instance 'Taxi'
was a hoot, and currently am enjoying 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'....

“Dai Bach”

Exeter, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Judged:

Deer Whisperer wrote:
Good Sunday afternoon/evening Kitchen-eers.
I'm thinking of Pretty Feetand'em in U.S. eastern seaboard location that's gotten hammered in these winter storms. Haven't seen her posting around for several days.
And for the English folk who stopped posting before this winter's U.K. Stormageddon.
Me too Cuz....miss them. I haven't seen Princess Hey around lately either,
sweet person.

“Dai Bach”

Exeter, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Judged:

Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you {{{ Cuz El }}}. I appreciate that. I was also remembering that I didn't answer the call per your invite for poetry weeks ago on a Poetry Day, so ....:)
I did enjoy it Cuz Luke, it spoke volumes to me.

“Dai Bach”

Exeter, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Judged:

Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
and John Goodman too!
When this subject was discussed previously, I used the word "entertainment" which was a lame word, but functional in an "umbrella" sense.
Films based on factual events deviate because of budget and time ... all the time. Characters may be merged, or completely omitted. Band of Brothers would be an example. I would guess Schindler's List might be one also. Lordy, our film-makers and television offering creators have played with U.S. history and make myths out of it and our "heroes" quite frequently.
Sometimes a location might be wrong, or a sequence of events.
There is also the "need" to tell an entertaining (however the meaning), compelling story.
These films have value as they are catalysts in folks digging and knowing more about little-known events, facts, and people and what it really was all about. Or in some cases, the real deal about well-known history.
John Goodman featured in the last movie I saw too....'Inside Llewen Davies' may have
spelt his given name wrongly, so used to the Welsh spelling which would be Llewellyn
as in Prince Llewellyn, last of the Welsh Princes.
It is permitted to spit as you pronounce the double 'L's hahaha
I can understand certain facts/features being omitted, or even added to a movie, can't
always be exact, different when historic facts are altered completely to please the
audience...and the movie maker.
Sadly, the critiques over here slammed Monuments Men and called it a
Monumental Disappointment.

“Dai Bach”

Exeter, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Judged:

Wildbluerose wrote:
Hi Lady Eleanor...
<3 @}-'--,---
@}-'--,---
Nature allowed us to sample what Spring could be like by providing us with
one beautiful day as of yesterday, it was perfect from beginning to end.
Back to what is considered 'the norm' today, but...there are buds on the Lilac
tree, shoots on the roses and give it time, Spring is on it's way.
Hope you are surviving the extreme weather there Dear Rose.....<3

“Dai Bach”

Exeter, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Judged:

tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
fits nicely into glovebox a pak of 2
hint keep MREs in car the same , no fights over who likes what
As if! lol

share and share alike....

“Dai Bach”

Exeter, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Judged:

Paisley_Posey wrote:
<quoted text>I do believe El reported a nice sunny day yesterday.
I didn't want to leave a reply to you in that other thread, so I 'followed' you here, lol.
I have to travel to Bloomington and back tomorrow for a funeral, and I'm hoping the freezing rain isn't too bad.
I hope you're having an evening as sweet as you are.
Safe journey Paise...allow yourself plenty of time to get there, and back,
and take some refreshments with you...no need to telly you, I know.

btw...I saw something about Agave in a forum to the effect that it is dangerous
to health, cannot find the thread again, it was quoting from Huffington Post,
I shall try to find the link. While others say it is healthy...so I want to know based
on what evidence...

Peace today when paying your respects to the deceased, and catch you later.

“Dai Bach”

Exeter, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Judged:

Mexican Hillbilly wrote:
I live now near Pulaski, TN. This is where they tortured, burnt, and hung black people from their trees.
You would not know it driving through.
In some places you can actually 'feel' the undercurrent. But driving through you would
only see what is on the surface. That is shocking to hear MH.
I am only glad that awareness is now reaching the rest of the world.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Mystical and Magical

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Judged:

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
In some places you can actually 'feel' the undercurrent. But driving through you would
only see what is on the surface. That is shocking to hear MH.
I am only glad that awareness is now reaching the rest of the world.
Good morning El. I thought I would never go to England again but I bought tickets yesterday and will be there April 8 for 2 weeks. When I had to fly into London it just made the trip to hard on my wife. I found if I fly to Florida we can go into Gatwick which is very close and easy to get to Brighton. My wife retires the end of march so this is the first time we have been able to stay a long time with out her worrying about work :)
SIPPI CUP

Hart, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Judged:

Paisley_Posey wrote:
<quoted text>I'll have to agree with you there, some small towns in Indiana have a lot of unspoken 'rules'.
the funny thing is the authorities, official and unofficial, wonder why I speak up and seem to be "fearless", after intimidation did not work many started showing visible signs of fear when I would approach them, their problem not mine

all they can do is kill me, having to live with themselves is a much worse fate

“April”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Judged:

SIPPI CUP wrote:
<quoted text>the funny thing is the authorities, official and unofficial, wonder why I speak up and seem to be "fearless", after intimidation did not work many started showing visible signs of fear when I would approach them, their problem not mine
all they can do is kill me, having to live with themselves is a much worse fate
Clever logic there.

“April”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Judged:

Yes, agreed,
the year is moving on 'despite and apart' from angry storms, high winds and torrential rain..
like as if the year were saying,

"You can all be doing as you like, but I'm pushing on
here with the seasons- that's my job" lol

"Twas mild here yesterday, with light sunshine
and a lighter green on the grass, enough to clutch the
heartstrings and see SPRING...

TG TOBE ALIVE to see another year..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 32,301 - 32,320 of33,481
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

213 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min ChromiuMan 106,095
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 3 min Tom2Tone 132,021
Lets Ask Billy R! (May '12) 9 min AHarleyhoney 2,286
The Night Owl Saloon (Jun '11) 10 min tallyho 15,337
How Long Have You Won in "Last Post Wins" thread? (Jan '09) 10 min Hey Its Emma 6,550
For Dear FlowerChild (Dec '07) 16 min Hey Its Emma 23,472
last word - first (Jun '12) 21 min Nobody 2 Special 6,670
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 1 hr buck 11,727
High school student in hot water after asking M... 2 hr Marley 4
•••
•••
•••
•••