“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#32592 Jan 30, 2014
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Franko.....
I agree, it just should not happen, it amounts to changing the facts of history.
But I will say that no way would we have won the war had the Americans NOT
come to our rescue, also we would have had to fight the Japenese more than
we did in Burma....so we owe the Americans a great deal. As we do the
Canadians, the Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans, Indians, Jamaicans
Ghurkas, in fact, the British Empire of that time.
to be honest I believe a different story .... that Germany had pretty much exhausted their manpower (they were sending 14 year olds to war), their reserves, etc etc ... they simply could not have faught much longer .... as to Japan, I am not clear on how they affected the British, I suppose only in British held territories in the Pacific region.

“Cool huh?”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#32593 Jan 31, 2014
franko wrote:
<quoted text>Pachabell's CANON in D minor was used both by my brother and myself at our weddings ... a beautilful peice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =8Af372EQLckXX
I truly enjoyed listening to that piece, and also the guy playing the guitar to the same
piece of music.....

and that from me who has an aversion to classical music....I blame it on being forced
to visit the Freetrade Hall in Manchester when at school, to hear and see The Halle
Orchestra led by Sir John Barbarolli.

Why oh why did they not take us to Bob Dylan concerts. LOL!

Could be because he was still a kid himself of course.

But your weddings and that of Deer Whisperer must have been such wonderful affairs.

I think of my own first wedding in comparison.

Clutching a slip of paper signed by my Mum giving permission, but dolled up in a MOST
expensive dress, my beautiful (now late) first husband to be and I, hailed two strangers
off the street to be our Witnesses.....got married...then roared off in our Austin Healey
3000 to the open air swimming pool....later spent our wedding night at his folk's home..they were on holiday.

Suited us.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#32594 Jan 31, 2014
franko wrote:
<quoted text>to be honest I believe a different story .... that Germany had pretty much exhausted their manpower (they were sending 14 year olds to war), their reserves, etc etc ... they simply could not have faught much longer .... as to Japan, I am not clear on how they affected the British, I suppose only in British held territories in the Pacific region.
Fair enough Franko...but Germany's biggest mistake was invading Russia, hence depleted manpower. They lost a complete army at Stalingrad.
The reasons we had to defend against the Japanese was their intention to take over
India, which was 'The Jewel In The Crown of the British Empire'.
Quoting Sir Winston Churchill.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#32595 Jan 31, 2014
Good Morning Kitcheneers!

Was lucky enough to see a beautiful sunrise this morning, from then
on it has rapidly gone downhill. Raining cats and dogs as they say.

Still, things to do in town, so off now to brave the elements.

Later....

wishing everyone a good day..

Oh. BOOMER....saw the 'boom' in action yesterday, on tv that
is, very impressive.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#32596 Jan 31, 2014
Morning/afternoon!

6 more weeks of winter?? hopefully Not more...
January went by fast, hopefully the next few weeks will too.

:)

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#32597 Jan 31, 2014
franko

movies are movies. whether they are based on real life happenings or not, they always are sensationalized..

GO USA!!!!!!!!!!

“Towards Spring”

Level 8

Location hidden

#32598 Jan 31, 2014
LOL El,

Prize winning post re your first wedding and details..

Great stuff:)

Did you see my post a few above regarding

'Inside Llewyn Davis' and 'The Wolf of Wall St'

Think you'll love Llewyn Davis,
the 'Wolf of Wall St' I don't know will t suit you,
but it's a real treat, at least I found..

I often think it's amazing how we get to know people here
'thru' writing' only and it enables us to develop an opinion
about their characters!

Happy weekend all on the thread.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#32599 Jan 31, 2014
eleanorigby wrote:
Good Morning Kitcheneers!
Was lucky enough to see a beautiful sunrise this morning, from then
on it has rapidly gone downhill. Raining cats and dogs as they say.
Still, things to do in town, so off now to brave the elements.
Later....
wishing everyone a good day..
Oh. BOOMER....saw the 'boom' in action yesterday, on tv that
is, very impressive.
Good morning El. It will be 72 here in Dallas today but by Sunday it will be sleet ice and snow. Only in Texas :)

“The ultimate equality:”

Since: Nov 09

extinction

#32600 Jan 31, 2014
franko wrote:
<quoted text>Pachabell's CANON in D minor was used both by my brother and myself at our weddings ... a beautilful peice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =8Af372EQLckXX
This piece was also used as Processional by my daughter/son-in-law this past September for their outdoor wedding.

The tune garnered popularity back in the day for a good many because of the film "Ordinary People"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachelbel%27s_Ca...

But the personal inspiration was:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Person...

As an aside, the old PBS/Carl Sagan "Cosmos" has been updated and will be broadcast in the near future:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Space-...

Good morning/afternoon Deer Folk.

extinction

#32601 Jan 31, 2014
Grace Nerissa wrote:
LOL El,
Prize winning post re your first wedding and details..
Great stuff:)
Did you see my post a few above regarding
'Inside Llewyn Davis' and 'The Wolf of Wall St'
Think you'll love Llewyn Davis,
the 'Wolf of Wall St' I don't know will t suit you,
but it's a real treat, at least I found..
I often think it's amazing how we get to know people here
'thru' writing' only and it enables us to develop an opinion
about their characters!
Happy weekend all on the thread.
yerGrace, I'm want to see "Inside Llewyn Davis", "American Hustle" (about true-life U.S. political corruption sting), and "The Monuments Men".

I haven't seen all Cohen Brothers movies (Inside Llewyn is one); but, I haven't seen one I didn't like.
----------

While possibly invoking a grim -- ace, I thought this TV program watched recently was most interesting; a "CSI" and forensics investigation of bodies from the Bronze Age and older found in peat bogs of, primarily, Ireland and north and northwest European continent. Researchers on the cases are Irish, British, and Scandinavian.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/ghosts-m...

extinction

#32602 Jan 31, 2014
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Good morning El. It will be 72 here in Dallas today but by Sunday it will be sleet ice and snow. Only in Texas :)
Overnight tonight, same re: snow and sleet. So I guess it's coming your way. But Saturday warms up and rains it all away.

extinction

#32603 Jan 31, 2014
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
I truly enjoyed listening to that piece, and also the guy playing the guitar to the same
piece of music.....
and that from me who has an aversion to classical music....I blame it on being forced
to visit the Freetrade Hall in Manchester when at school, to hear and see The Halle
Orchestra led by Sir John Barbarolli.
Why oh why did they not take us to Bob Dylan concerts. LOL!
Could be because he was still a kid himself of course.
But your weddings and that of Deer Whisperer must have been such wonderful affairs.
I think of my own first wedding in comparison.
Clutching a slip of paper signed by my Mum giving permission, but dolled up in a MOST
expensive dress, my beautiful (now late) first husband to be and I, hailed two strangers
off the street to be our Witnesses.....got married...then roared off in our Austin Healey
3000 to the open air swimming pool....later spent our wedding night at his folk's home..they were on holiday.
Suited us.
"then roared off in our Austin Healey 3000 to the open air swimming pool...." I'm chuffed for you about this, and envious!:)

Was married in northern Indiana. Temp at wedding about -16F/-27C. Two nights stay on Lake Michigan shore hotel. Walked beach in our "polar wear" one evening marveling at the "ice mountains" on the Lake.

With the winter we have had here -- remember LOST IN MISSISSIPPI's input about this -- it is

"Days Of Future Past" {{{ Cuz El }}}

extinction

#32604 Jan 31, 2014
Grace Nerissa wrote:
El..
We say the same about losing our individuality
having followed the URO, at least GB never did that,
do you think they will ever be swayed?
Running fast into FEB, thought January went fast this year
and was reasonable weather wise -
no 'news' from here as yet!
DEER WHISPERER.
THANKS FOR THE LINK ABOUT SCHUMACHER,
ODDLY ENOUGH ,[excuse capitals]
ads you probably heard, they are trying to awaken him
from his coma just now.
I read in another article, they say
his injuries were far worse than were originally
reported.
Gee! if it were me, and it meant I'd be brain dead
as a result and I'd have to be 'kept' alive,
for years - I'd sure rather they'd let me slip away into oblivion,
can't say what they should do in his case, it's too
big an issue to call for anyone else.
Poor unfortunate soul.
Indeed, Grace.

extinction

#32605 Jan 31, 2014
PFfff wrote:
franko
movies are movies. whether they are based on real life happenings or not, they always are sensationalized..
GO USA!!!!!!!!!!
That's true, gal. The money of George Clooney (and his business pals) are behind "Monuments Men" -- as well as his craft (or lack of, reviews aren't glowing).

It's a theatrical release for entertainment and drama primarily (as is "American Hustle"); thus, a documentary is not its purpose.

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#32606 Jan 31, 2014
Good afternoon to you dear folks across the way. I'm very worried about y'all. Brigid is coming your way with 150mph winds, basically an Arctic hurricane. I'll be praying for y'all; please take care, and hopefully you're prepared for potential power loss. If not, please hurry and do so.

extinction

#32607 Jan 31, 2014
I should think thoughtful folk would understand that, in general, WW 2 was a collective effort to vanquish the war powers of the Axis. It was so with the activities of the "monuments men" (and women), too.
----------
Introductory paragraph:

The “Monuments Men," were a group of approximately 345 men and women from thirteen nations, most of whom volunteered for service in the newly created MFAA section during World War II. Many had expertise as museum directors, curators, art historians, artists, architects, and educators. Their job description was simple: to protect cultural treasures so far as war allowed.

The bottom of this link sourcing the above paragraph also includes the list identified by nation.

http://www.monumentsmenfoundation.org/the-her...

A different "tab" also explains: http://www.monumentsmenfoundation.org/the-her...

On June 23, 1943, President Roosevelt approved the formation of the "American Commission for the Protection and Salvage of Artistic and Historic Monuments in War Areas" widely known as "The Roberts Commission," after its chairman, Supreme Court Justice Owen J. Roberts. The work of the "Harvard Group" and the "American Council of Learned Societies" contributed to its establishment.

Thus was born the Monuments, Fine Arts, and Archives (“MFAA”) section under the auspices of the Civil Affairs and Military Government Sections of the Allied Armies. Together the Monuments Men worked to protect monuments and other cultural treasures from the destruction of World War II. In the last year of the war, they tracked, located, and in the years that followed, returned more than five million artistic and cultural items stolen by Hitler and the Nazis. Their role in preserving cultural treasures was without precedent.

The Monuments Men remained in Europe for up to six years following the conclusion of fighting to oversee the complicated restitution of stolen works of art. During that time they played instrumental roles in rebuilding cultural life in the devastated countries of Europe by organizing temporary art exhibitions and musical concerts.
----------

I have seen/heard interviews and associated human interest news about the WW2 mission (which is ongoing), and have enjoyed an informative documentary ( on PBS) about it all.:

based on book(s) of : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_M._Edsel

other links and sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monuments_Men

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Location hidden

#32608 Jan 31, 2014
http://www.ybw.com/news/sailing/535996/storm-...

Storm Brigid set to bring winds of 150mph, rain and snow to the UK

:-(

Enough, already!

“Towards Spring”

Level 8

Location hidden

#32609 Jan 31, 2014
Paisley_Posey wrote:
Good afternoon to you dear folks across the way. I'm very worried about y'all. Brigid is coming your way with 150mph winds, basically an Arctic hurricane. I'll be praying for y'all; please take care, and hopefully you're prepared for potential power loss. If not, please hurry and do so.
What? where? what's that you say?

BRIGID the Offbeat poster coming to get us..
I'll be dam*ned if she'l get me,
I'l shoo her away, for sure -with my big coloured umbrella,
I will, I tell you.

O wait, maybe a HURRICANE you say,
lol I read too fast..

ha ha!

but jokes aside,
where exactly is she bound PP?

Tis very very windy over in these parts just now.

How are you, PP, as we ease into Spring?

extinction

#32610 Jan 31, 2014
Paisley_Posey wrote:
http://www.ybw.com/news/sailin g/535996/storm-brigid-set-to-b ring-winds-of-150mph-rain-and- snow-to-the-uk
Storm Brigid set to bring winds of 150mph, rain and snow to the UK
:-(
Enough, already!
My word! And I think there are still isolated hamlets/villages because of previous January flooding.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/456975/S...

Best prayers for our friends in the Auld Isles.

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Location hidden

#32611 Jan 31, 2014
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
What? where? what's that you say?
BRIGID the Offbeat poster coming to get us..
I'll be dam*ned if she'l get me,
I'l shoo her away, for sure -with my big coloured umbrella,
I will, I tell you.
O wait, maybe a HURRICANE you say,
lol I read too fast..
ha ha!
but jokes aside,
where exactly is she bound PP?
Tis very very windy over in these parts just now.
How are you, PP, as we ease into Spring?
If it would only be that it was just Brigitte arriving on your shore on St. Brigid's Day in your fair country! Rains to come first, arriving this evening with the brunt arriving tomorrow. I do hope you're well prepared to stay inside, high and dry, and warm.
The whole of the UK will be encompassed in this storm.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/456975/S...

'APOCALYPTIC': Storm Brigid rages towards UK bringing 150MPH KILLER winds, rain and SNOW

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's one thing you appreciate in your life? 5 min Ohio Sam 5
What she wants for Mother's Day 14 min Hoosier Hillbilly 2
A to Z songs by title or group! 24 min Sharlene45 1,568
A Five Letter Word (Jan '12) 28 min Miss Roxie 2,506
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 30 min Miss Roxie 6,557
one word only (Jun '08) 33 min Miss Roxie 55,616
Post "any three words" (Sep '12) 38 min andet1987 3,995
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 1 hr Faux Flake 2,072
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 5 hr wichita-rick 215,348
More from around the web