El's Kitchen

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#31810 Dec 19, 2013
Bora, bora morning/afternoon Kitchen people.

Stay warm and cozy as you can regarding your weather in the Auld Isles. It will be balmy in the mid-to-upper 40s F in middle-earth Indiana today. Snow is disappearing at a pace the last 3 days. Sun rays through the bare-limbed trees are warming, and a stout breeze is evaporative. Flooding is in the forecast. I'm on high ground, praise be.

Untimely passings near holidays is surely unsettling. Four or five days before the wedding of wife #2 and me her elderly grandfather passed. Her family urged us to go with the plan. So, a funereal and wedding was on successive days.

As I recall, my two last kitchen disasters were getting sequence of a box mix brownie-cake wrong, and inadvertently making fish filet jerky; getting distracted while they were in the oven.

I hope all goes well for those out and about today.

informs against BS

#31811 Dec 19, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
Stay warm and cozy as you can regarding your weather in the Auld Isles. It will be balmy in the mid-to-upper 40s F in middle-earth Indiana today. Snow is disappearing at a pace the last 3 days. Sun rays through the bare-limbed trees are warming, and a stout breeze is evaporative. Flooding is in the forecast. I'm on high ground, praise be.
Untimely passings near holidays is surely unsettling. Four or five days before the wedding of wife #2 and me her elderly grandfather passed. Her family urged us to go with the plan. So, a funereal and wedding was on successive days.
As I recall, my two last kitchen disasters were getting sequence of a box mix brownie-cake wrong, and inadvertently making fish filet jerky; getting distracted while they were in the oven.
I forgot to include that the wedding mentioned was a few days before Christmas.

informs against BS

#31812 Dec 19, 2013
And the clouds roll in to portend the rains we'll get in the next few days.

Reminds of this ditty:

O', give me a home
where the buffalo roam,
and the deer and the antelope play.

Where seldom is heard
a discouraging word,
and the skies are not
cloudy all day.

Home, home on the range ....

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#31813 Dec 19, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Try grated carrot in your sause. It is a sweetener and cuts the acid from tomates

carrots huh, I wouldn't have thought about that.

a sweet little Italian women once told me to use the sugar to cut the acid.
works great and ive been doing it ever since.
them Italian people sure know how to cook!
lol
:)

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#31814 Dec 19, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
my FIL mother passed on Christmas day, naturally every year the holidays were never the same for him..
for some reason, Christmastime means SO many Different feelings, one moment ur enjoying it all, the next - u feel so sad and let down.
for me, I enjoy it, u know, its exciting seeing my grandkids happy faces, but yet I feel depressed thinking about my own kids too, about all the good times...... and how life just slipped by so quickly..

Merry Christmas Luke - may santa bring whatever it is u want in life.

ps - I noticed ur picture there, it kinda reminds me of my own backyard, most of the woods we have in the back are to the side, then right behind us is an open space the township owns, its nice, its the one thing that "didn'"t impress me (im really a city girl) when we first looked at the house, but now its the one thing I will definitely miss when we leave.....

now im depressed!
lol
:}

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#31815 Dec 19, 2013
sorry to hear about the Apollo ... hope all were minor injuries

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#31816 Dec 19, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi one and all - have been absent for a while, but not through illness - RW has been demanding, especially now I'm back working (yup, that's right, am back in the classroom and have become the best visual aid to persuade kids not to smoke!). Last Friday was sad, a fellow sufferer with the big C died suddenly 10 days ago and it was his funeral. We used to have oncology parties together!! Then on Sunday, our erstwhile tenants decided to do a runner and steal gear from the cottage as well as leaving it in an unspeakable state. So the time up to Xmas will be filled with decorating and cleaning.
Back to brass monkeys - the reason for posting. A brass monkey was the tray on which the cannonballs sat on a warship. When it got really cold, it contracted so much, they fell off it. Hence, "cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey" has nothing to do with primates and their gonads.
So glad to see an update from you! Have a Merry Christmas, you and yours! You've been in my thoughts and prayers.

informs against BS

#31817 Dec 19, 2013
PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
my FIL mother passed on Christmas day, naturally every year the holidays were never the same for him..
for some reason, Christmastime means SO many Different feelings, one moment ur enjoying it all, the next - u feel so sad and let down.
for me, I enjoy it, u know, its exciting seeing my grandkids happy faces, but yet I feel depressed thinking about my own kids too, about all the good times...... and how life just slipped by so quickly..
Merry Christmas Luke - may santa bring whatever it is u want in life.
ps - I noticed ur picture there, it kinda reminds me of my own backyard, most of the woods we have in the back are to the side, then right behind us is an open space the township owns, its nice, its the one thing that "didn'"t impress me (im really a city girl) when we first looked at the house, but now its the one thing I will definitely miss when we leave.....
now im depressed!
lol
:}
PFfff :) Thank you for this post.

"I enjoy it, u know, its exciting seeing my grandkids happy faces, but yet I feel depressed thinking about my own kids too, about all the good times......" And that's the forefront of focus in the familiar as well as helping (as we can and will) to others in the community in our own way.

A couple of weeks ago, a 32 yr. old single mom working in a convenience store I use passed away from a heart attack! So, it's important to cherish the times we have when we have them.

That's the 2nd backyard winter scene I've used in about 2 weeks. This one is straight out from my back door and all is my property. Both were from last year at Christmas time.

I wish the very same for you from Santa -- Merry Christmas!

informs against BS

#31818 Dec 19, 2013
Well, cook me now. I am stuffed as a Christmas goose, going to a luncheon today for fellowship with folk I've done work for, with, and socialized.

The eating fare included pork loin with brown gravy, Monterey chicken, cheesy potatoes, green beans, and desserts. ummm, ummm good!

19 Dec.(wikipedia)

1843 – A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (pictured), a novella about the miser Ebenezer Scrooge and his transformation after being visited by three Christmas ghosts, was first published.

for Tony: 1981 – Sixteen lives were lost when a Penlee lifeboat went to the aid of the stricken coaster Union Star in heavy seas off the south-west coast of England.

informs against BS

#31819 Dec 19, 2013
tallyho wrote:
sorry to hear about the Apollo ... hope all were minor injuries
hear, hear ... as do I.
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

United States

#31820 Dec 19, 2013
to make a New Orleans "red gravy" just peeled and seed tomatoes
and cook 36 to 48 hours on low and slow, yes you have to stir it

it it reduces quit a bit turns browner and sweet all on its own

plane tomato sauce
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

United States

#31821 Dec 19, 2013
there I go again, plain

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#31822 Dec 19, 2013
INFO:

the acidity of a tomato depends on the type [species] and what area it comes from [region]

*footnote: species and region were added for those who can not associate type/area with out written description [definition]

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#31823 Dec 19, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
hear, hear ... as do I.
upon a later report I believe heard [not herd sarcasm]
that several were seriously hurt.......

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#31824 Dec 20, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
in your googles .... list the natural enemies of the Bison
A] While often secure from predation due to their size and strength, in some areas, bison are regularly preyed upon by wolves
and since man feared the wolf .....wouldn't with some after thought : it seem fair to say if the Buff made 70 million it would keep on increasing
There are three factors that usually are the prime deciders of natural balance ...

1) predators, which themselves increase in numbers as their prey (food supply) increases in numbers .....

2) food supply ... which is quickly consumed by 70 million huge beasts ... in fact the herds basically moved from one area to the next because they had exhausted the food supply where they had been.

3) in fact, since Bison lived off foliage, the long cold winters were a third factor ... many died of starvation over the winters ....

If the number of Bison exceeded their food supply, then more of them died off.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#31825 Dec 20, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are not Muslim then you are an Infidel.
However, on Sky News this morning, a number of young British Muslims were
interviewed (although identities hidden) wo had gone over to Syria to fight
against Assad's regime. One of the young men said that, because they are
Muslim, they are classed automatically as terrorists when that is not the case
as he said we have come to help the stricken, in other wods they regard themselves
as Freedom Fighters. Sadly it is a case of Muslim fighting Muslim.
there is such a big different between the extremists and fundamentalist religions people, and the moderates ....
There have been fights and even a couple of killings in Sihk temples in our city over the years, all due to fighting over interpretation of simple things, like of there should be chairsprovided for the sickly and elderly within the temple ... crazy huh???

“United for Hillsborough!”

Since: Jun 06

Rotherham, UK

#31826 Dec 20, 2013
Thanks Tally and DW.....

one theatre critic said he was not at all surprised that it happened
that it 'was an accident waiting to happen'.

The theatre, along with many others in London's West End, is 113
years old after all, with many embellishments which are hazardous.

Fortunately there were no fatalities but there are a small number of
people detained in hospital with neck, head and back injuries.

Perhaps now, all these old buildings will be checked and brought up to
structural date.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#31827 Dec 20, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
An article in the newspaper over the weekend showed a lion jumping on the back of
a water buffalo, the male buffalo picked up the lion by it's horns, and threw it through
the air. No animals were harmed it added.
Butt he Indians only took what they needed didn't they Franko.
Considering this is agricultural country where I live, where sheep and cattle are
filling the fields , it makes me wonder why some people choose to farm this
majestic beast. Freedom of choice I expect, but it shouldn't be necessary.
TV chefs in particular are coming up with so many weird and wonderful ideas,
incorporating meats previously not known....one idiot, who is very well respected,
although God knows why, has come up with snail porridge.
Think I will stick with Quaker Oats myself, lol.
The indians were relatively small in numbers, and yes, they hunted for food, they used the skins to make clothes and tents, and even the bones were used as tools.

Actually I made the comment about Indians facing down the herds because it was so impresive ... it was extremely risky and they had to be very brave to hunt like that.It was not uncommon for one or more hunters to be injured during a hunt. A herd could choose to change direction at any second.

Nowadays we have choices .. in the past and in many parts of the world, humans eat things most of us could not imagine eating ....

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#31828 Dec 20, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
if you correct one mistake correct them all ... no matter which id you use and trust me I passed over many of your misspellings ...... and instead of trying to bring me down try to bring yourself up and above
you've made your share of typos too ... and left out words etc etc ... that's why people are saying it's not worth being picky about it. WE ALL make these little inconsequential mistakes.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#31829 Dec 20, 2013
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>Favour....lol
the Americans don't use the Queen's english, so they leave out the "u" on purpose ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min Ob-server 197,648
Answer a question with a question (Apr '15) 9 min KNIGHT DeVINE 2,419
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 9 min wichita-rick 191,143
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 14 min KNIGHT DeVINE 32,200
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 46 min wichita-rick 17,642
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 48 min Camilla 9,984
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 51 min Diamond Dixie 12,817
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) 1 hr ZomBah 6,208
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 1 hr andet1987 2,654
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 3 hr Old Sam 144,920
More from around the web