El's Kitchen

“Cool huh?”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#31508 Dec 10, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>El my friend in England lucked out. It was going to be several weeks until he had chemo treatment. They had an opening and got him in last week. That could have been the difference between life and death
Glad to hear of this Denny, it will give your friend a
fighting chance and a great deal of hope.

Was looking at the weather situation at Dallas airport
dreadful, hope that has eased off by now.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#31509 Dec 10, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Watched much of that game from one network on the color TV, alternating with the game involving the home team, Indianapolis Colts on another network. Playing in elements is definitely interesting to view.
You ladies have done outstandingly well in the festive accoutrements. And the aromas from such and the culinary offerings is exceptionally pleasing; all much appreciated.
Cuz El -- you want deer, you get deer. Coincidentally, a local news source has such a picture taken from a leaf camera turned snow camera in southern Indiana. This news article provides a link to the winter scene camera to view at will. I hope that link works for those in the Isles.
http://www.wishtv.com/news/indiana/brown-coun...
Good afternoon/evening Kitchen-eers!
I'm sure that would have been interesting to view, unfortunately
it wouldn't display for me...I see the images though, very pretty.
As a matter of interest, my sister lives in Cumbria and they have deer wander into their unfenced garden....while one of my sons living on the outskirts of Manchester, very pretty suburb, has foxes in his copious garden. Nice to see nature close up.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#31510 Dec 10, 2013
PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
yep, as usual - just look around here today, the spirit here is alive and well!
lol
;)
anyway, I too finally got around to putting our decorations up, all that snow here helped get me feeling all mushy and stuff so what the heck. lol
yep, the Eagles game was one to remember, the interview of the players tell us how they felt like little boys again. lol
don't normally see them playing in snow like that anymore, so it really did feel like a Football game...
even I watched some of the game. lol
:)
that's so sweet for the Eagles player to say that, it was a sight
to behold, quite magical in it's own way.
Who was it said words to the effect 'sport is the great leveller'
oh yes, the great NELSON MANDELA.

Bora Da!....:)

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#31511 Dec 10, 2013
TONY.....wonderful to see you post here, can
see you have had your share of trials and tribulations, the main thing, you are a Survivor,
the rest is just an inconvenience. Other than
your friend of course, so sorry to hear of his passing.

CC.....sure will, a lovely thought, now how's about you and I having that coffee by the log fire....:)

GRACE...missed you this past couple of days, hope you are better by this time.

Good Morning One and All....

a memorial service to view.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#31512 Dec 10, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi one and all - have been absent for a while, but not through illness - RW has been demanding, especially now I'm back working (yup, that's right, am back in the classroom and have become the best visual aid to persuade kids not to smoke!). Last Friday was sad, a fellow sufferer with the big C died suddenly 10 days ago and it was his funeral. We used to have oncology parties together!! Then on Sunday, our erstwhile tenants decided to do a runner and steal gear from the cottage as well as leaving it in an unspeakable state. So the time up to Xmas will be filled with decorating and cleaning.
Back to brass monkeys - the reason for posting. A brass monkey was the tray on which the cannonballs sat on a warship. When it got really cold, it contracted so much, they fell off it. Hence, "cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey" has nothing to do with primates and their gonads.
Now that is a very interesting bit of knowlege. Thanks now what about a witches tit ;) Good to have you back my friend

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#31513 Dec 10, 2013
Colorado Chick wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks for that Koffee Klatch Chatter.. there Tony.. NOW, El..give this DUDE whatever he wants.. on me...And I will...discuss the Battle of the Bulge over a Cup of Hot Apple cider And a Cream Puff...
Sounds like a great plan but if you eat all that you will fight your on battle of the bulge :)

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Newport Pagnell, UK

#31514 Dec 10, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
Capt: how are you????
you have the cart before the horse sir.......
The Axis grew out of the Anti-Comintern Pact, an anti-communist treaty signed by Germany and Japan in 1936. Italy joined the Pact in 1937. The "Rome–Berlin Axis" became a military alliance in 1939 under the Pact of Steel, with the Tripartite Pact of 1940 leading to the integration of the military aims of Germany and its two treaty-bound allies.
Benito hesitated until he saw how well Germany was doing
Fine thanks Tally (or at least getting there!).

Rome-Berlin Axis dates from 25 October 1936 when it was signed. It became the Pact of Steel in 1939. It pre-dates the Anti-Commintern Pact, signed on 25 November 1936 by a month. As you rightly say, Italy joined the latter on 5 November 1937. The Tripartite Pact dates from 27 September 1940, after both the fall of France and Italy (belatedly) joining the war. It was incredibly general in its terms and really had no bearing on the behaviour of the Axis powers with one possible exception - Germany's declaration of war on the USA on 10 Dec 1941. I say possibly, for it is still today unclear why Hitler made such a rash move. Whist war against Japan was a certainty with Pearl Harbour, Roosevelt could have found it very hard to justify declaring war on Germany to Congress: fortunately, he didn't have to.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#31515 Dec 10, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad to hear of this Denny, it will give your friend a
fighting chance and a great deal of hope.
Was looking at the weather situation at Dallas airport
dreadful, hope that has eased off by now.
We still have a number of schools closed today. This is the coldest day of the year . Brrrrr

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Newport Pagnell, UK

#31516 Dec 10, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Now that is a very interesting bit of knowlege. Thanks now what about a witches tit ;) Good to have you back my friend
Thank you Denny - good to be back for a little while. Witches' tit, as in "I don't give a witches tit", meaning I couldn't care less is cockney rhyming slang. Witches tit is a politer form of sh*t - thus giving the phrase. It's much more modern in its origin.
Krypteia

Cheltenham, UK

#31517 Dec 10, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi one and all - have been absent for a while, but not through illness - RW has been demanding, especially now I'm back working (yup, that's right, am back in the classroom and have become the best visual aid to persuade kids not to smoke!). Last Friday was sad, a fellow sufferer with the big C died suddenly 10 days ago and it was his funeral. We used to have oncology parties together!! Then on Sunday, our erstwhile tenants decided to do a runner and steal gear from the cottage as well as leaving it in an unspeakable state. So the time up to Xmas will be filled with decorating and cleaning.
Back to brass monkeys - the reason for posting. A brass monkey was the tray on which the cannonballs sat on a warship. When it got really cold, it contracted so much, they fell off it. Hence, "cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey" has nothing to do with primates and their gonads.
Yep...Glad on the up mate good news,just been to the docs myself X Ray results,happy to say nothing sinister but the shoulder is cream crackered can't remember the big words but the joint between shoulder and collar bone is worn,thanks to Army,RUGBY,and building work,if it seizes or the movement starts slow then hospital time,so I'll stick to the Famous Grouse painkiller for the time being..
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

United States

#31518 Dec 10, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Rome-Berlin Axis dates from 25 October 1936 when it was signed. It became the Pact of Steel in 1939. It pre-dates the Anti-Commintern Pact, signed on 25 November 1936 by a month. As you rightly say, Italy joined the latter on 5 November 1937. The Tripartite Pact dates from 27 September 1940, after both the fall of France and Italy (belatedly) joining the war. It was incredibly general in its terms and really had no bearing on the behaviour of the Axis powers with one possible exception - Germany's declaration of war on the USA on 10 Dec 1941. I say possibly, for it is still today unclear why Hitler made such a rash move. Whist war against Japan was a certainty with Pearl Harbour, Roosevelt could have found it very hard to justify declaring war on Germany to Congress: fortunately, he didn't have to.
sssssssssh don't poke the bear

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#31519 Dec 10, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
correct Capt.....Churchill was happy Hitler did ...

Roosevelt promised he wouldn't involve the US in their war, or any war ... Japan open that door

so glad to hear from you sir ...

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#31520 Dec 10, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Denny - good to be back for a little while. Witches' tit, as in "I don't give a witches tit", meaning I couldn't care less is cockney rhyming slang. Witches tit is a politer form of sh*t - thus giving the phrase. It's much more modern in its origin.
As if it was easy to understand a Cockney anyway. I love language and how it is used politically. It shows the bias of the user. Now in America the right wing is known to want lower taxes and smaller government yet on the news you hear a South American repressive government called right wing when that is the last thing it should be called. A Dictator wants all power in the hands of the government. Call them a dictator but not a right wing dictator. That reveals the liberal newsman's bias. Like with civil rights the Republican party is considered anti black when the truth is more Republicans voted for the civil rights act than Democrats. The Clan were Democrats. C-Span is the only reporting I have seen with no bias you can detect. I have no idea if Brian Lamb is conservative or liberal. The way a phrase is turned tells so much

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#31521 Dec 10, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Funnily enough that is exactly my point of view with P..
he hates the commercials and I point out at least they
don't charge a television fee, that the commercials pay
for themselves. I like the commercials myself, especially
the Christmas ads......
Hey EL .. I've been off topix a whole 2 weeks!!!

I dislike many commercials, some of them are totally ^&^&*^'d up!!!

But I agree, some of them are well done and almost entertaining ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#31522 Dec 10, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Tony .. long time no see .. because I was not online much lately ....

I hope you are now fully in recovery mode ....

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#31523 Dec 10, 2013
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>Yep...Glad on the up mate good news,just been to the docs myself X Ray results,happy to say nothing sinister but the shoulder is cream crackered can't remember the big words but the joint between shoulder and collar bone is worn,thanks to Army,RUGBY,and building work,if it seizes or the movement starts slow then hospital time,so I'll stick to the Famous Grouse painkiller for the time being..
If there is any calcification, you could look into a therapy called SHOCKWAVE .... apparently this can address that specific problem ...
Grace Nerissa

Dublin, Ireland

#31524 Dec 11, 2013
So good to see Tony posting,
And Franko too.

Gd Morning folks.

I must go back to the doc today,
Can't shift this thing,
And although it's not a serious thing,
They monitor you more closely
when one has a heart condition, conscious
of complications which could occur,
Anyway it has set me back in my christmas
Preps, but first things first, indeed.

How is everyone & how are Xmas plans going?

Anyone watching the memorial service yesterday?

I thought, with regard to speeches,
Obama stole the show,
Most folks seem to think so too
By the reaction he got,
he truly IS the great orator..

What a pity it rained so hard there all day,
BTW,
Our weather is 'remarkably' mild over here
All week, which is a nice bonus.

Enjoy the day, all good friends.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Dartmouth, UK

#31525 Dec 11, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Tony .. long time no see .. because I was not online much lately ....
I hope you are now fully in recovery mode ....
Hi Franko - yes indeed - although with the rubbish the England cricket team is producing in Oz, I may end up with a relapse!!

Like you, I've been having a holiday from topix.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Dartmouth, UK

#31526 Dec 11, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
So good to see Tony posting,
And Franko too.
Gd Morning folks.
I must go back to the doc today,
Can't shift this thing,
And although it's not a serious thing,
They monitor you more closely
when one has a heart condition, conscious
of complications which could occur,
Anyway it has set me back in my christmas
Preps, but first things first, indeed.
How is everyone & how are Xmas plans going?
Anyone watching the memorial service yesterday?
I thought, with regard to speeches,
Obama stole the show,
Most folks seem to think so too
By the reaction he got,
he truly IS the great orator..
What a pity it rained so hard there all day,
BTW,
Our weather is 'remarkably' mild over here
All week, which is a nice bonus.
Enjoy the day, all good friends.
Hi GN - missed the service sadly - trying to sort out the mess our tenants left when they did a runner at the weekend. So won't be appearing here too often for a bit - cleaning, scrubbing and decorating are the order of the day.

Cannot believe I heard this for the first time today when Jim Croce released it in 1973 - displacing the Pogues and Kirstie MacColl as my favourite Xmas song of the minute:

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#31527 Dec 11, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>Hey EL .. I've been off topix a whole 2 weeks!!!
I dislike many commercials, some of them are totally ^&^&*^'d up!!!
But I agree, some of them are well done and almost entertaining ...
Hi Franko...glad to see you again...we all need a break now and again, it's a busy time of the year.

Coincidentally this is rather a nice commercial preceeding
the video here.

It wouldn't be Christmas without this one.

Greeting to all here, be safe this day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
any word you want to say (Dec '09) 3 min quilterqueen 8,632
"3 words beginning with similar Letters!" (Dec '12) 4 min quilterqueen 494
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 5 min Silly times 84,813
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 7 min Judy 123 228,372
Name the first word that's on you're mind. (Mar '13) 7 min quilterqueen 1,361
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 8 min Crazy Jae 18,587
OFFBEAT.keepAword.DropAword.2011edition (Oct '11) 9 min Crazy Jae 21,416
noticed it was red 23 min Crazy Jae 72
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 36 min Crazy Jae 16,812
More from around the web