eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Franko.
It was't so much the slur, God knows I have had worst than that
to contend with during my lifetime....it was the source which
I found upsetting at that particular time. It was the least
of my worries that particular week...like a said a combination
of events.
Personally...I would rather be 'up front' and ask outright.
That aside, great to see you again...:)
I agree, it can be shocking when the source is considered .. I remember a few years ago while I was having a dispute with one memebr, and I was friends with another .. yet something they heard about me from the questionable source turned the friend against me ... and no amount of me trying to convince them that it was untrue cold change their mind ... what it did, in that case for me, is reveal the friend's" true charter.

HOwever, another thing I have seen in this forum is where a fake person rpetened to be someone else, and made several posts "out of character" .. and that also managed to turn friends into enemies ....

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#30839 Oct 20, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Franko....can we really compare oppression of women by enforcing
the Burka etc., to gang rape on a bus in India?
The former is a form of protection, however misguided, the latter
sheer abuse.
Speaking of oppression....there was none worse than in England when
Catholicism was kicked out of the doo in favour of Protest...ants.
All on a King's whim.
granted the cases are extreme examples .... most cases are not so extreme nore as publicized... but it speaks to the general attitude of those societies .... as the example I gave, that wonen in a muslim country are not allowed to drive a car. Even in an emergency, they must find a man to drive them. In many rape cases, the women are blamed because "they must have done something to tempt the man" ...

When that young woman was shot for going to a university, it showed the desparation men on those societies have to keep women from trying to attain equality with men.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#30840 Oct 20, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
Good morning El and all who come to the kitchen. I am headed to Vegas tomorrow for a little fun and relaxation. El they have started enrollment for Obama care and it is a total failure. After 3 years and over 500 million dollars spent the on line enrollment doesn't work. Obama said th cost of insurance would drop about $2500. In 45 states the cost of insurance has gone up and more than doubled in many states. What does the government do well? NOTHING! The employer must pay for insurance or pay a fine for people who work 30 hours or more. Full time workers have been laid off and hired as part time workers. Even the unions have said the 40 hour work week has been destroyed. Those workers with good insurance will be taxed on their premium insurance.
the key to any system being successful is that most of the people are on board with the concept. It won't work well, and will probably fail, as long as more peel are against it than for it. And of course, when peole abuse the loopholes.
SLACK

Ludington, MI

#30841 Oct 20, 2013
the term you used was "similar opposition"

inflammatory to say the least, imo

you want numbers? sure I'll do some work for ya

50 million in the Americas and Europe, not many just looking for a place to start that you might agree that the oppression is not quite similar.

Uzbekistan 27 million
Turkey 75 million
Egypt 80 million
China 23 miliion

how about Kuwait, do you think the women there are oppressed

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#30842 Oct 20, 2013
GOOD EVENING LADY EL/MADAME GRACE
LADIES&GENTS of the REALM

GREAT to be home

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#30843 Oct 20, 2013
thought the pig roast was going to be a disaster.... but we did get it done ...

the Mayor came nice of him......

it was a great 70th for her

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#30844 Oct 20, 2013
SLACK wrote:
the term you used was "similar opposition"
inflammatory to say the least, imo
you want numbers? sure I'll do some work for ya
50 million in the Americas and Europe, not many just looking for a place to start that you might agree that the oppression is not quite similar.
Uzbekistan 27 million
Turkey 75 million
Egypt 80 million
China 23 miliion
how about Kuwait, do you think the women there are oppressed
so tell me then, what do YOU think like is like for women in Iran, iraq, Saud Arabia, Pakistan or any one of dozens of other muslim countries?

Have you read the stories about how a woman who was raped was sentenced to be stoned to death? It has been in the news several times in my lifetime and that was only the news that got published in western news ... the news about one protesting not being able to drive in Saudi Arabia was just in the last couple of weeks but I heard other stories over the years about these women being punished for driving.

Do you not count such actions as oppressive?

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#30845 Oct 20, 2013
El...OMG!! stacked and proud said.. you made Cranberry Cream Cheese Swirl Tea Bread...and it was DELISH!!

Have any left??
SLACK

Ludington, MI

#30846 Oct 20, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>so tell me then, what do YOU think like is like for women in Iran, iraq, Saud Arabia, Pakistan or any one of dozens of other muslim countries?
Have you read the stories about how a woman who was raped was sentenced to be stoned to death? It has been in the news several times in my lifetime and that was only the news that got published in western news ... the news about one protesting not being able to drive in Saudi Arabia was just in the last couple of weeks but I heard other stories over the years about these women being punished for driving.
Do you not count such actions as oppressive?
First,do you think the women of Kuwait are oppressed?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#30847 Oct 21, 2013
GOOD MORNING LADY EL/MADAME GRACE LADIES and GENTS of the REALM to

capt Tony and to squadie Kryp

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#30848 Oct 21, 2013
NICE TO SEE `YOU BACK IN ACTION AGAIN

“We All Have Guardian Angels”

Level 9

Since: Mar 12

Even Though We Dont See Them

#30849 Oct 22, 2013
Hope everybody is having a great morning..Be Blessed and be careful while out...you all have an awesome day...God bless Tony,and Tally and us all.Amen...

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#30850 Oct 22, 2013
GOOD MORNING LADY EL/MADAME GRACE LADIES&GENTS of the REALM

“Ridin' The Devils Little Horse”

Since: Mar 08

Straight To Hells Door

#30851 Oct 22, 2013
Greeting to all the Good Folks who visit El's Kitchen... I hope that you all will have a wonderful day filled with laughter and love...
@}-'--,---

Lady Eleanor...
I saw a news report about the fires in Wales and I said a quick prayer that you and yours would all be safe...
Sending you all of my best wishes and a bunch of love...
((Love-n-Hugs))
@}-'--,---

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#30852 Oct 22, 2013
SLACK wrote:
<quoted text>First,do you think the women of Kuwait are oppressed?
I understand that Kuwait is considered the most liberal Muslim country in the region .. they are probably therefore not as oppressed as those in the more extremist countries.

Also, we seem to have a discrepancy as to what defines "oppressed" ... not everyone is getting shot at for trying to get some higher education ... however by western standards though, women having less rights than we have here could be considered "oppressed".
SLACK

Ludington, MI

#30853 Oct 22, 2013
just lookin for that billion

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
SLACK

Ludington, MI

#30854 Oct 22, 2013

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#30855 Oct 22, 2013
SLACK wrote:
what do you think the number is? and if your number is less than a billion, then why do you not count the difference in that category?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#30856 Oct 22, 2013
SLACK wrote:
here is a question that arises out of this discussion .. if you asked 100 typical modern American women, if the women of the USA living 150 years ago were oppressed, how many do you think would say "yes, they were oppressed"

Do you think the answer might be different if asked in the UK, Germany, France, RUssia, China?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#30857 Oct 23, 2013
SLACK wrote:
this article clearly indicates that there is a different standard for expatriates living in these countries, compared to the locals. It really says very little about how women who were born and raised Muslim are treated, so it is not much of a guide for whether or not local women are oppressed in the most liberal regions in the middle east.

One excerpt gives a vague clue though, cut and pasted from your article

"Outside of compounds and private residences a highly conservative approach should be exercised in public. One thing to bear in mind though, with women not being able to sit in cars with men who are not family members, picking up your date might be a bit of a challenge."

The highlight ? Women are not allowed to sit with men in a car, if the man s not a family member...

I wonder what they do to the women who do sit in cars with non-family members?

I am sure it is more than a simple slap on the wrist.

The fact that it is not allowed at all, would be considreed oppressed by many modern western women. WOuld you agree?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drop 3 Keep 2 }of the words in a sentence{ 2 min Spirit67_ 8
Only Three Letter Words - Alphabetically (Jul '11) 10 min Hoosier Hillbilly 1,678
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 13 min Mister_ E 6,371
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 14 min Hoosier Hillbilly 7,134
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 16 min anonymous 117,369
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 17 min Mister_ E 147,643
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 20 min Mister_ E 21,357
I Like..... (Mar '14) 5 hr SLY WEST 376
Woman Held in Jail for Weeks Over SpaghettiOs 8 hr NOM s Waffle House 9

Weird People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE