“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#29836 Sep 4, 2013
SLACK wrote:
<quoted text>DUDE
I THOUGHT YOU WERE DONE WITH THIS
your fixation on "look at a map" indicates your lack of knowlage on what has happened in the region over the last 50 years is extensive
so I say to you again
LOOK AT A MAP
it is a good place for you to start
I have purposely chosen not to get into other details because I wanted you to answer how a map tells me all those details ...

in fact, looking at a map tells me about 10% of the story, if that.

As Is said, the article you linked told me 5 times what a map would tell me.

I guess you won't answer because you don't have an answer ....

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#29837 Sep 4, 2013
SLACK wrote:
AH, now you're finaly getting my point .. I think???

A map doesn't tell me even 10% of what these links told me ...
SLACK

Ludington, MI

#29838 Sep 4, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I have purposely chosen not to get into other details because I wanted you to answer how a map tells me all those details ....
why?
SLACK

Ludington, MI

#29839 Sep 4, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>AH, now you're finaly getting my point .. I think???
A map doesn't tell me even 10% of what these links told me ...
as I said before I am sorry for assuming you had a larger base of knowlage
SLACK

Ludington, MI

#29840 Sep 4, 2013
hey frankO ever seen this site

www.Google.com

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#29841 Sep 4, 2013
SLACK wrote:
Maybe you finally got my point.

Thanks to this article, I now know that Iran funded the creation of this organization, and still supports them and gives them miltary training today. I now know that they are cosnidered more powerful than the Lebanese army, I learned they have seats in the Lebanese government, I now know that the Hezbolah;s main objective is the destruction of Israel, I know they are an Islamic militant group, I now kow that some countries considered the, terrorists I know they helped end the Israel occupatoin of south Lebabon. I now know that Syria supports the Hezbolah.

A map does not tell me any of this. It does not tell me where the Hezbollah are, what their role is, what their goals are, what the Hezbolah ahve to do with Syria or Lebanon it does not even tell me if they are freinds or foes of Syria or Israel ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#29842 Sep 4, 2013
SLACK wrote:
/wiki/Syrian_occupation_of_Leb anon
thanks to this article I now know that Syria Occupied Labanon since 1976 and only recently ended, in 2005.

now, based on your first comment, about Jordan and Lebanon and their relatoinship with Syria, I would have guess that your point was that Syria and Lebanon were complete allies, but that is not the reality. A map might have given me a mistaken impression becasue I would not have known about this occupation. This is what I meant when i siad that proximity dos not tell me what happened between the countries.

I learned that "in 1991, a Treaty of "Brotherhood, Cooperation, and Coordination", signed between Lebanon and Syria, legitimized the Syrian military presence in Lebanon. It stipulated that Lebanon would not be made a threat to Syria's security and that Syria was responsible for protecting Lebanon from external threats. In September that same year a Defense and Security Pact was enacted between the two countries.[4]"

But I will bet, based on the history, that there is lingering bitterness between the two counties .... I;ll bet if you asked a Lebanese what he would do if he found himself alone with syrian, he would probablay tell me he would like to kick his teeth out ... I suspect the "alliance" is a begrudging one.

A map does not tell me this....

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#29843 Sep 4, 2013
SLACK wrote:
thanks to this article I now know that the USA has troops and weaponry in jordan and is assisting Jordan against Syria. I learned that if the Assad regime falls, an Al Quaeda controlled force may take over.
One again, a map tells me none of this.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#29844 Sep 4, 2013
SLACK wrote:
<quoted text>why?
because if we got involved in the rest of the discusion, the point about the map would be ignored ... so I wanted to stay on point ... until that was settled ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#29845 Sep 4, 2013
SLACK wrote:
<quoted text>as I said before I am sorry for assuming you had a larger base of knowlage
you still missed the point ... why are you so stubborn?

YOU suggested I look at a map to learn about the situation and specifically the role of Jordan and Lebanon.

Are you saying, if I had all the background knowledge, that looking a the map would somehow have expanded my knowledge?

The fact is, that a map would tell me little of what I would need to know to understand the situation ...

Those articles you linked today proved that.

The map did not tell me who is allies and who is not, but those articles did.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#29846 Sep 4, 2013
SLACK wrote:
hey frankO ever seen this site
www.Google.com
of course ... but that is beside the point. The entire point was that telling me to look at a map was a stupid way of discussing the SYrian sitatoin because it does not provide the information one needs to have the discussion. WHether I knew anything else or not is not the relevant issue of my point ...

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

New Milton, UK

#29847 Sep 5, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget, the USA had an isolationist' policy until Pearl Harbour, Dec. 1941. Then they had to declare war on Japan and came into the Second World War. And thank God you did, but we
paid back every penny.
As for the civil rights issues in the South, remember it was
William Wilberforce (British Parliament) who fought for the abolishment of slavery.
Why would a country the size of the USA need assistance from elsewhere?
The slave trade is a tricky one - we abolished the Trade in 1807 - which was the work of Wilberforce. However, slavery in the British Empire was not ended until 1834 (power of the sugar interests in the Caribbean). Ironically, it was not until 1967 that slavery was made illegal in the UK - make of that what you will! It was clever of Lincoln to make slavery rather than the right of secession the issue once the Civil War broke out - it took UK support for the South away (cotton interests in Lancashire were keen to support the South for trade).
Krypteia

Southport, UK

#29848 Sep 5, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>of course ... but that is beside the point. The entire point was that telling me to look at a map was a stupid way of discussing the SYrian sitatoin because it does not provide the information one needs to have the discussion. WHether I knew anything else or not is not the relevant issue of my point ...
One thing Iv'e learnt about maps is never let your wife read one..

“Towards Spring”

Level 8

Location hidden

#29849 Sep 5, 2013
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>One thing Iv'e learnt about maps is never let your wife read one..
K,
As for me, I have no probs reading maps.

BTW, How do YOU know Franko's wife:)

“Towards Spring”

Level 8

Location hidden

#29850 Sep 5, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
sad thought , but a thought ....take dog to VET.
odor may indicate a dietary or intestinal problem
I did ..last time I had her at the Vets
and they just said she was very healthy,
and to shampoo her regularly..
but you could well be right,
It may be associated with what she eats.
Thanks for reply, Tally.

“Towards Spring”

Level 8

Location hidden

#29851 Sep 5, 2013
Krypteia wrote:
They just found a mummy in Egypt,he was covered in chocolate and peanuts..His name is Pharaoh Rocher.
Ha ha! GREAT...

You ole devil.

“Cool huh?”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#29852 Sep 5, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
The slave trade is a tricky one - we abolished the Trade in 1807 - which was the work of Wilberforce. However, slavery in the British Empire was not ended until 1834 (power of the sugar interests in the Caribbean). Ironically, it was not until 1967 that slavery was made illegal in the UK - make of that what you will! It was clever of Lincoln to make slavery rather than the right of secession the issue once the Civil War broke out - it took UK support for the South away (cotton interests in Lancashire were keen to support the South for trade).
Thanks Tony....I do know from my interest in Industrustial history
that Lincoln sent a letter to the mill workers of Lancashire, and
of course they had to down tools when the cotton supply dwindled from the South, the mills shut down. Very clever of Lincoln agreed, in fact I recall a statue of him in Platt Fields Manchester, now moved into the City I believe.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#29853 Sep 5, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
I did ..last time I had her at the Vets
and they just said she was very healthy,
and to shampoo her regularly..
but you could well be right,
It may be associated with what she eats.
Thanks for reply, Tally.
Grace....one or two questions for you!
Is this a new development with Ali?
Have you introduced a new diet?
Is the odour FROM or ON her?
Surely a Vet would only recommend shampooing a
large dog such as Ali if he/she considered it was
a skin problem....
I had a Labrador/Cross myself, and I cannot recall
ever having to shampoo her.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#29854 Sep 5, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tony. Having weavers in my ancestry, was wondering if the silk weavers would be affected by any of the closures, although a
different process imagine they worked alongside the cotton weavers?

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#29855 Sep 5, 2013
Asked myself 'why' the statue of Abraham Lincoln was erected in Manchester....found this and found it very interesting.

http://manchesterhistory.net/manchester/statu...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
In honor of princess hey (Apr '14) 3 min Princess Hey 294
First Word That Comes To Mind ....... (Apr '10) 7 min Gem 14,022
Goodbye Princess Hey (Jul '14) 10 min night machine 76
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 12 min Gem 34,396
7 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 13 min Gem 1,906
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 17 min Gem 38,017
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 20 min Gem 12,010
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 33 min Sharlene45 230,102
Stupid things to ponder ... (Feb '08) 1 hr positronium 7,935
What ?? are you thinking about NOW? 2014 (Jun '14) 4 hr gouphi 695