El's Kitchen

“Cool huh?”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#28712 Aug 8, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
Mytten da one and all - sorry I've been awol, but the problem is time - feeding now has to take place through the tube (throat too burnt to take anything down it now, including water - that takes about 4-5 hours per day). Then hospital each day for treatment, which is another couple of hours. Add to that sleeping badly and exhaustion - that's my day gone!!
Still, on the home straight now - two more treatments to go and then it's over - will take a little time for the inner and outer burning to heal as radiation carries on for a bit once treatments stop, but the light at the end of the tunnel is most definitely there.
Mytten da Tony....spelt it correctly this time too!

Tony, one cannot begin to imagine what you have gone through.
But it seems that your determination, your positive attitude, and sheer guts have carried you through this, and if ever there was anybody who has been an inspiration, then it's you.
Two more treatments....wonderful news, almost there.
Just been reading the side stories on the link which DW posted,
one there on Michael Douglas, he has battled throat cancer also, and look at him today. He was appearing on Graham Norton show a little while ago and stole the show, at least in my eyes, as I am
a big fan, also of his father as an author...wonderful writer.

I read something very amusing yesterday concerning history, of which I was not aware, and that was when the French joined the Scots with a view to raiding England...however the Scots didn't care for the French, couldn't understand them and said they were eating all their provisions, and the French couldn't understand the Scots, the French left Scotland with the intention of raiding Scotland instead of England....this is my simplified version of the article, I did find it highly amusing the way it was written.

“Want A Friend, Be One..”

Level 9

Since: Mar 12

Valentines Day Soon

#28713 Aug 8, 2013
I havent stopped in here before..this is really nice..Love it..see alot of dear friends..Theres my brother Tony..Glad you are doing good..another day and another step closer to the finish..this is just a little bump in your path,keep hold to his hand and you will come out with a great testimony.I just hope no one minds...Dear Lord wrap your arms around my brother and keep in in your care..Give him the strength he needs to face all this..Touch his body and make him whole again..I ask this in your name Amen..You look up you will get through this..we are all with you..LY brother..Smile:O)..

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#28714 Aug 8, 2013
GOOD MID-MORN......LADY EL/MADAME GRACE..LADIES&GENTS of the REALM and to the kit krue

she that has been very busy cleaning up thread and profiles

PGA ... if a dollar can be made well

Park Here only $50 [per day] on my landscaped manicured lawn

rent mu house house only $2000 per week

the funny part is they are rented and parked

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#28715 Aug 8, 2013
damn too far ahead in thought and not print see that tops has been busy etc etc

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#28716 Aug 8, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>different forms of medical care exist, each one with the same end goal and roughly the same cost. There are ideals being attempted by creating a certain system ... universal healthcare exists in many countries around the world and is generally accepted as the right way to do it.
It won't work in the USA only because everyone thinks it's a bad idea ... no other reason. HOw can anything work when people are trying to undermine it?
The only way it will work is single payer and this rotten program is meant to fail so we will go to single payer in the end.The majority of the people are against it.85% had very good health care under private insurance. Liberals destroy the good in search for the perfect

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#28717 Aug 8, 2013
Princess Hey wrote:
I havent stopped in here before..this is really nice..Love it..see alot of dear friends..Theres my brother Tony..Glad you are doing good..another day and another step closer to the finish..this is just a little bump in your path,keep hold to his hand and you will come out with a great testimony.I just hope no one minds...Dear Lord wrap your arms around my brother and keep in in your care..Give him the strength he needs to face all this..Touch his body and make him whole again..I ask this in your name Amen..You look up you will get through this..we are all with you..LY brother..Smile:O)..
Good morning and welcome to the kitchen. A very good group of friends here and you are welcome to join in. We sometimes disagree but never fight about an issue

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#28718 Aug 8, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>The only way it will work is single payer and this rotten program is meant to fail so we will go to single payer in the end.The majority of the people are against it.85% had very good health care under private insurance. Liberals destroy the good in search for the perfect
IF I was in charge I would have gone about it differently, by tweeking things bit by bit in the existing system rather than pushing for a dramatic big change. The same could have been acheived.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#28719 Aug 8, 2013
NICE TO SEE TEXAS AND THE 2ND AT WORK..........

The first attack came at about 10.30pm local time on Wednesday night at a house on Long Canyon Trail in southwest Dallas.

Two people died and two more were wounded, according to police sources.

The man was apparently looking for his ex-girlfriend, but she was not at home.

The suspect is then said to have driven seven miles to another house in the suburb of DeSoto where a further two people were killed and one or two others were injured.

Police said the man, named as Erbie Bowser, 44, then threw a grenade which detonated before the shooting began again.

Two boys aged 11 and 13 are among the injured. Some of the wounded are understood to be in a critical condition.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#28720 Aug 8, 2013
Princess Hey wrote:
Hello There Princess Hey..and a big Welcome to the Kitchen, we have
'met' and I am delighted you have joined us.
Thankyou for this wonderful post with our friend Tony in mind particularly, I will say Amen to that.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#28721 Aug 8, 2013
tallyho wrote:
GOOD MID-MORN......LADY EL/MADAME GRACE..LADIES&GENTS of the REALM and to the kit krue
she that has been very busy cleaning up thread and profiles
PGA ... if a dollar can be made well
Park Here only $50 [per day] on my landscaped manicured lawn
rent mu house house only $2000 per week
the funny part is they are rented and parked
G'Afternoon Sir Tally...

do you mean what I think you mean? Over here folk are
being urged to rent out their drive to car drivers, to
supplement their income. We are rural so have to pass
on that idea!

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#28722 Aug 8, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
G'Afternoon Sir Tally...
do you mean what I think you mean? Over here folk are
being urged to rent out their drive to car drivers, to
supplement their income. We are rural so have to pass
on that idea!
no the PGA golf Tiger Woods etc etc , and there isn't any parking , plus a lot of people rent the homes for a a week rather than stay in hotels

“Got'em figured out?”

Since: Nov 09

Think again

#28723 Aug 8, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>different forms of medical care exist, each one with the same end goal and roughly the same cost. There are ideals being attempted by creating a certain system ... universal healthcare exists in many countries around the world and is generally accepted as the right way to do it.
It won't work in the USA only because everyone thinks it's a bad idea ... no other reason. HOw can anything work when people are trying to undermine it?
Interview I heard most of yesterday. Available is audio link, or text of highlights of it. In the text are hyperlinks to each of 3 articles this NY Times writer has done about U.S. Healthcare.

http://www.npr.org/2013/08/07/209585018/payin...

[in part]

It costs $13,660 for an American to have a hip replacement in Belgium; in the U.S., it's closer to $100,000.

Americans pay more for health care than people in many other developed countries, and Elisabeth Rosenthal is trying to find out why. The New York Times correspondent is spending a year investigating the high cost of health care. The first article in her series, "Paying Till It Hurts," examined what the high cost of colonoscopies reveals about our health care system; the second explained why the American way of birth is the costliest in the world; and the third, published this week in The Times, told the story of one man who found it cheaper to fly to Belgium and have his hip replaced there, than to have the surgery performed in the U.S.

On joint-makers keeping prices high

"You would think that if five different companies were making candy bars, that would drive the price of candy bars lower. But if five different companies are making joints and trying to sell them at $10,000 a piece, it's really in no one's interest to say,'Hey, guess what guys? I'm going to sell mine for $1,000 because that's what it really costs me to make it.' Because then everyone loses money; the whole industry kind of implodes."

"Routinely, for most procedures in other countries, patients stay in the hospital longer; their hospital bills are much less. They tend to see things as a package. I think one of the most striking things when you look at the Belgian hospital bill, as opposed to the U.S. one, is on the U.S. hospital bill for a joint replacement, you see things like operating room fees, recovery room fees. And those [were on] one of the bills I looked at: operating room fees,$13,000; recovery room fees,$6,000; facility fees, x-thousand dollars.

"If you look at a European bill, those things don't exist. And you know, in fact, it was kind of funny when I started on this series although sad in another way when I would call some of the European hospitals and say,'Well, what's your facility fee on that? What's your operating room fee?' and there was this puzzled pause at the other end of the line where they said,'What do you mean an operating room fee? You can't do the surgery without an operating room. That's a part of our day rate for the hospital. It's all included.' "

"Every part of the system needs to rethink the way it's working. Or maybe what I'm really saying is we need a system instead of 20, 40 components, each one having its own financial model, and each one making a profit."

“Got'em figured out?”

Think again

#28724 Aug 8, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
Mytten da one and all - sorry I've been awol, but the problem is time - feeding now has to take place through the tube (throat too burnt to take anything down it now, including water - that takes about 4-5 hours per day). Then hospital each day for treatment, which is another couple of hours. Add to that sleeping badly and exhaustion - that's my day gone!!
Still, on the home straight now - two more treatments to go and then it's over - will take a little time for the inner and outer burning to heal as radiation carries on for a bit once treatments stop, but the light at the end of the tunnel is most definitely there.
Excellent progress dear chap! Thanks for the update .. and here's to better nights' sleep soon!

“Got'em figured out?”

Think again

#28725 Aug 8, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
G'Morning Cuz Luke....
Thanks for clarifying...and for the link which I found
to be most interesting, including the side stories.
I read an article in one of the weekend newspapers about
'Laura', which said it all, but when there is a baby involved, well, you just hope it turns out alright at the end of the day,
stating the obvious as I know you have voiced the same.
Not long now until your daughter's wedding...wow, soon
passed.
Bora da [by my U.S.time anyhow] Cuz El.

Ayup! a month and a week away -- gasp!!

in the Time Machine:

August 8, 1969 -- 4 blokes, a zebra, and an American tourist

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-presses...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbey_Road#Image...
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

Ludington, MI

#28726 Aug 8, 2013
tallyho wrote:
is it me or topixs
it's you

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#28727 Aug 8, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Interview I heard most of yesterday. Available is audio link, or text of highlights of it. In the text are hyperlinks to each of 3 articles this NY Times writer has done about U.S. Healthcare.
http://www.npr.org/2013/08/07/209585018/payin...
[in part]
It costs $13,660 for an American to have a hip replacement in Belgium; in the U.S., it's closer to $100,000.
Americans pay more for health care than people in many other developed countries, and Elisabeth Rosenthal is trying to find out why. The New York Times correspondent is spending a year investigating the high cost of health care. The first article in her series, "Paying Till It Hurts," examined what the high cost of colonoscopies reveals about our health care system; the second explained why the American way of birth is the costliest in the world; and the third, published this week in The Times, told the story of one man who found it cheaper to fly to Belgium and have his hip replaced there, than to have the surgery performed in the U.S.
On joint-makers keeping prices high
"You would think that if five different companies were making candy bars, that would drive the price of candy bars lower. But if five different companies are making joints and trying to sell them at $10,000 a piece, it's really in no one's interest to say,'Hey, guess what guys? I'm going to sell mine for $1,000 because that's what it really costs me to make it.' Because then everyone loses money; the whole industry kind of implodes."
"Routinely, for most procedures in other countries, patients stay in the hospital longer; their hospital bills are much less. They tend to see things as a package. I think one of the most striking things when you look at the Belgian hospital bill, as opposed to the U.S. one, is on the U.S. hospital bill for a joint replacement, you see things like operating room fees, recovery room fees. And those [were on] one of the bills I looked at: operating room fees,$13,000; recovery room fees,$6,000; facility fees, x-thousand dollars.
"If you look at a European bill, those things don't exist. And you know, in fact, it was kind of funny when I started on this series although sad in another way when I would call some of the European hospitals and say,'Well, what's your facility fee on that? What's your operating room fee?' and there was this puzzled pause at the other end of the line where they said,'What do you mean an operating room fee? You can't do the surgery without an operating room. That's a part of our day rate for the hospital. It's all included.' "
"Every part of the system needs to rethink the way it's working. Or maybe what I'm really saying is we need a system instead of 20, 40 components, each one having its own financial model, and each one making a profit."
I think the profit motive is one of the main differences. In most European countries the hospitals are owned and run by the government, so the cost to operate the hospital "is already paid for" and since it is from the people's taxes, no profits are expected, only break even. Also, since that cost is already covered, they don't see the need to charge individually for existing infrastructure. They only charge for the extra stuff specific to the patient and the treatment.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#28728 Aug 9, 2013
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI wrote:
<quoted text>it's you
I have to agree with you, it is me , missing posts again are you .....

know why because of you

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#28729 Aug 9, 2013
Good Morning to All...

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#28730 Aug 9, 2013
Grace...
watched the recording last night and to sum up...

O.......M......G!!!!!!!

LOL.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#28731 Aug 9, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Bora da [by my U.S.time anyhow] Cuz El.
Ayup! a month and a week away -- gasp!!
in the Time Machine:
August 8, 1969 -- 4 blokes, a zebra, and an American tourist
http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-presses...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbey_Road#Image...
Bora Da a Chi Cuz Luke....

It's not 45 years...surely?! Has to be I know,
but who'da thought?

A little bit nearer to home, just over a month to go...
nice to look forward to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Names, A to Z, ... (Aug '12) 5 min Joi C 4,343
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 5 min Hoosier Hillbilly 48,040
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 7 min Joi C 14,016
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 8 min Sublime1 35,088
I Believe __________________ ....... (Feb '11) 8 min Joi C 787
News Virgin girl battles strange ailment after alleg... 11 min LIMnologist 2
Change 1 letter game! (Oct '15) 15 min Hoosier Hillbilly 238
What's for dinner? (Feb '12) 38 min Pardon Pard 9,792
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Sublime1 227,246
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 2 hr Hoosier Hillbilly 6,982