|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>It takes time for history to bubble down. We are just finding things out about the missle crisis we didn't know. Cuba had working missiles during the crisis that were under the command of a soviets. The Russians were afraid the guy would fire them
To be honest mate don't think even a Cuban red would be that stupid,considering the amount of ordinance your country has,and wouldn't take much to obliterate Cuba...
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

Ludington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>To be honest mate don't think even a Cuban red would be that stupid,considering the amount of ordinance your country has,and wouldn't take much to obliterate Cuba...
just look what we did to public water supplies in central America in the 80's

and it was a hell of a lot cheaper than just fueling a ICBM

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Poole, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>lol,That's ironic as I agree with the 1901 statement,lol,just I paint war game figures and war game but only pre Victorian,lol....mind you I do fancy a panzer regiment a couple of Tigers,Panthers,may be a token T-34 to blow the crap out off..lol
Hope your feeling a lot better and on the mend mate......Actually thinking of you I fancy getting a British fleet now,Nelson of cause may be Coltrane I think his name was...Skytrex do a line in miniature scale..
Keeping the pecker up - have lost some weight, but coping with the sore throat the radiotherapy's given me.

Think the guy you may be thinking of from Nelson's time was Cochrane - there was also Coddrington - people forget the wealth of talent the RN had in its captains during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars.

“A PAIR A FULLHOUSE ”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

CAN'T BEAT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

wet wash cloths in freezer , having an ice ,pack with a drip ... unlike here for one

watch this I got a half-a-yard on it
Krypteia

Worthing, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

LOST IN MISSISSIPPI wrote:
<quoted text>just look what we did to public water supplies in central America in the 80's
and it was a hell of a lot cheaper than just fueling a ICBM
I was in Belize 80-81,and feel fine,lol,I can't say iv'e heard about this,but I'll have a google,sounds ominous,but interesting..
Krypteia

Worthing, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Keeping the pecker up - have lost some weight, but coping with the sore throat the radiotherapy's given me.
Think the guy you may be thinking of from Nelson's time was Cochrane - there was also Coddrington - people forget the wealth of talent the RN had in its captains during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars.
Yes mate that's the one Cochrane,is he the one that fought for Chile or one of the South American counties at some point..not up on naval history.
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

Ludington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>I was in Belize 80-81,and feel fine,lol,I can't say iv'e heard about this,but I'll have a google,sounds ominous,but interesting..
never heard of anyony doing anything in Belize but drinkin and diving

you will have better luck with bing or some other search engine other than google, they are quite cooperative with the U.S. government.

look in and around Nicaragua
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

Ludington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

mostly nerve agents, so I've been told
Krypteia

Worthing, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>never heard of anyony doing anything in Belize but drinkin and diving
you will have better luck with bing or some other search engine other than google, they are quite cooperative with the U.S. government.
look in and around Nicaragua
I'll take a look....back in the day I was stationed there,jungle patrols and so on,was there when they were getting independence from us plus stand by for war with Quatamala as they thought they had a claim or Belize or something..

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>Not that surprising other countries aren't represented - crossing the pond would take about 5-6 weeks and that would be dead time for a vessel - unlikely to be able to fill paying berths for that. Then navigating up to the Great Lakes - round trip of both ways around another week. That takes out three months at prime earning time in summer.

No, you miss my point on the history. When I was at school as a pupil it was somewhat stagnant. Now it is very much up-to-date - certainly in the UK, there is much taught about the twentieth century, particularly the totalitarian regimes.
I imagine it is the same here now - more information taught about more recent history. That can be just as useful as history from the beginning. I just started the book "the Twelve Caesars". Pretty interesting stuff - didn't realize there 12.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>lol,That's ironic as I agree with the 1901 statement,lol,just I paint war game figures and war game but only pre Victorian,lol....mind you I do fancy a panzer regiment a couple of Tigers,Panthers,may be a token T-34 to blow the crap out off..lol
Hope your feeling a lot better and on the mend mate......Actually thinking of you I fancy getting a British fleet now,Nelson of cause may be Coltrane I think his name was...Skytrex do a line in miniature scale..
Hi Kryp! How interesting. Do you sell the figurines or is it a hobby?

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>Keeping the pecker up - have lost some weight, but coping with the sore throat the radiotherapy's given me.

" keeping the pecker up"?! You realize that has a totally different meaning here in the states?! LOL!
Krypteia

Worthing, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I imagine it is the same here now - more information taught about more recent history. That can be just as useful as history from the beginning. I just started the book "the Twelve Caesars". Pretty interesting stuff - didn't realize there 12.
I think they just took the name Caesar for Dictator of Rome and Empire rather than the Julian dynasty..
Krypteia

Worthing, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Kryp! How interesting. Do you sell the figurines or is it a hobby?
Both,iv'e sold a few over the years at shows,I get bored end up selling to start something else..I have an English Civil War army (Royalist) my mat Parliament,plus an American Civil War army (Confederate),and branching out into the French Indian War,plus toying with starting an ancient army..

Vee

“Man Of Every Hour”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Vee wrote:
Home Chill Towels
https://www.chilltowels.com/
Chill Towels provide instant cooling, without refrigeration, right out of the package !... Chill Towels readily drop to 20&#730;- 30&#730;F below your normal body temperature ...
I like these because when mowing the lawn, or for anyone who works outdoors for a living, all you do is wet it, and you will get approx 6 hours of cool time. When you feel that heat soar, you will be glad you have at least one of these. Two of them is also great. 6 hours on one and 6 on the other. Of course they are reusable.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>I think they just took the name Caesar for Dictator of Rome and Empire rather than the Julian dynasty..
It's an idea, plus it look like they were all related.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>Both,iv'e sold a few over the years at shows,I get bored end up selling to start something else..I have an English Civil War army (Royalist) my mat Parliament,plus an American Civil War army (Confederate),and branching out into the French Indian War,plus toying with starting an ancient army..
Keeps you off the streets & out of trouble. Glad you enjoy. Must be pretty detailed eh?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

and why, are you that weak?
we're just bored of you.
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

Ludington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

franko wrote:
<quoted text>we're just bored of you.
as I grew sick of tallys BS a year ago, and you all love him so much

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Poole, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Way more than twelve. From Augustus (who was technically the first emperor - not Julius Caesar as some assume) until the empire divided into east and west in 395 AD, there were 147 emperors.(deduct 9 from that figure if you knock out rebel emperors who tried to set up rival power bases). Once it divided into two (the beginning of the end so to speak) the figures were 23 and 94 for the two different empires, one based in Rome, the other in Byzantium (Istambul today) which later became the Ottoman Empire.

Suetonius (author of the 12 Caesars) is something of a gossip, so do take what he writes with a pinch of salt: he loved the salacious tales of his past rulers, not necessarily always substantiated from other sources - but both Nero and Gaius Caligula were pretty evil duds, and Tiberius was nothing but an old perv!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 27,461 - 27,480 of33,453
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••