tallyho wrote:
apologies all ....
only whey you are sober

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#27439 Jul 6, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>thanks .. we are belssed to live in a very beautiful region .... and yes, it costs to enjoy much of it....
YOu could climb to the top of Grouse mountain (the GROuSE GRInd is world famous) to enjoy the view of the city .. or you can pay to ride the Gondolla to enjoy the same view....
It helps to know that you can drive a car up Cypruss or Seymour mountains for free to enjoy the same view ....
ANd the beaches are free!!!
and travel time and money ... and time is money!:)

I don't remember if 'we' went up Grouse Mountain and some other specifics ... in Vancouver, did remember seeing Gas Town, Old China Town, boat ride on False Creek to the 'island' that's really a peninsula. Markets, shops, and the night spots where the 'cool kids'[of all ages] hang. And the Asia West shopping, eating experience.

And then Victoria by day and by night.

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

#27440 Jul 6, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't need me to tell you Grace, those Labrador/Collie
cross dogs are smart..smarter than the average dog, which is
why you must ensure she comes back in any given situation.
I too, only meant to help, afraid one day that harm will befall
if she isn't made to come back when you command her to.
Oh well, am sure you have it all in hand, would hate to think of
you being in any kind of bother 'cos of it.
I have to say you are perfectly right here,
she should return on command in all situations..
I'll keep her at the dog run where she is
best behaved..

They are a very clever type dog, like you say, El..
She's a darling dog, really... and bright as a newly
minted coin.

Thanks for your caring post, El..
enjoy the great weather..

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

#27441 Jul 6, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
Friend sent me this, had to share.....
These are sentences exactly as typed by medical secretaries
in NHS Greater Glasgow
1. The patient has no previous history of suicide.
2. Patient has left her white blood cells at another hospital.
3. Patient's medical history has been remarkably insignificant with only a 40 pound weight gain in the past three days.
4. She has no rigors or shaking chills, but her husband states she was very hot in bed last night.
5. Patient has chest pain if she lies on her left side for over a year.
6. On the second day the knee was better and on the third day it disappeared.
7. The patient is tearful and crying constantly. She also appears to be depressed.
8. The patient has been depressed since she began seeing me in 1993.
9. Discharge status:- Alive, but without my permission.
10. Healthy appearing decrepit 69-year old male, mentally alert, but forgetful.
Loved 'em ALL..

Brilliant.. lol

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

#27442 Jul 6, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
Madame Grace relax , it is the obsession of lim who must keep up to me .... who do you think was degrading Tony and who was it that made a good friend of mine leave topixs[Chatty Kathy]
her family members dying in front of her eyes....
he has more bans than a zebra
it is his only source of socializing .. Topixs .. how many polls has he started . let alone the ones on me ...
Thanks Tally,

since you put the question
to me..' WHO did I think did what'
Fact is, I don't know.

I'm out of the argument between you both,
as of now.

Like I predicted... with each post between you, two -
one word borrows another.

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

#27443 Jul 6, 2013
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI wrote:
<quoted text>no
Well,

at least it's a straight answer.

and here is where my contribution ends.
LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

Ludington, MI

#27444 Jul 6, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Tally,
since you put the question
to me..' WHO did I think did what'
Fact is, I don't know.
I'm out of the argument between you both,
as of now.
Like I predicted... with each post between you, two -
one word borrows another.
here is his own words

"now lets go and pick on some poor soul te/hee"
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/weird/T3RA28D...

informs against BS

#27445 Jul 6, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Love that Sousa...most apt for the day. Sometimes putting a
thought in one's head is as good as the real thing.
I put a redition of 'our' poem read by Dylan Thomas himself, do
wish you could have listened to that Cuz Luke....the depth of
feeling...needless to say it was Llareggub...:)
Hope you had a very happy July the Fourth.
Thank you Cuz El, I did. And thanks for thinking of me re: Dylan Thomas reading. You've good heart and soul.

Sousa had a big 'say' about adopting "Star Spangled Banner" as our official national anthem, when 'we' finally got around to doing that. As conductor of the U.S. Marine Band, he assured that it was performed frequently in their engagements. I watched a documentary on PBS last night produced by Maryland Public Television about our national hymn, the melody based on a variation of song from a gentleman's social club in London. That melody gained favor in merry olde England with various lyrics, and was dubbed (in general) an English drinking song.

Wikipedia offers the salient points included in the TV program:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_spangled_ba...

"The Star-Spangled Banner" is the national anthem of the United States. It is also among some of the world's national anthems that are based on a poem, along with the Hymn to Liberty, the national anthem of both Greece and Cyprus. The lyrics come from "Defence of Fort McHenry",[1] a poem written in 1814 by the 35-year-old lawyer and amateur poet, Francis Scott Key, after witnessing the bombardment of Fort McHenry by the British Royal Navy ships in Chesapeake Bay during the Battle of Fort McHenry in the War of 1812.

The poem was set to the tune of a popular British song written by John Stafford Smith for the Anacreontic Society, a men's social club in London. "The Anacreontic Song" (or "To Anacreon in Heaven"), with various lyrics, was already popular in the United States. Set to Key's poem and renamed "The Star-Spangled Banner", it would soon become a well-known American patriotic song. With a range of one and a half octaves, it is known for being difficult to sing. Although the poem has four stanzas, only the first is commonly sung today.

"The Star-Spangled Banner" was recognized for official use by the Navy in 1889, and by President Woodrow Wilson in 1916, and was made the national anthem by a congressional resolution on March 3, 1931 (46 Stat. 1508, codified at 36 U.S.C. 301), which was signed by President Herbert Hoover.

Before 1931, other songs served as the hymns of American officialdom. "Hail, Columbia" served this purpose at official functions for most of the 19th century. "My Country,'Tis of Thee", whose melody is identical to "God Save the Queen", the British national anthem,[2] also served as a de facto anthem.[3] Following the War of 1812 and subsequent American wars, other songs would emerge to compete for popularity at public events, among them "The Star-Spangled Banner".

and

On November 3, 1929, Robert Ripley drew a panel in his syndicated cartoon, Ripley's Believe it or Not!, saying "Believe It or Not, America has no national anthem".[11] In 1931, John Philip Sousa published his opinion in favor, stating that "it is the spirit of the music that inspires" as much as it is Key's "soul-stirring" words. By a law signed on March 3, 1931 by President Herbert Hoover, "The Star-Spangled Banner" was adopted as the national anthem of the United States of America.

“HI!”

Since: Jun 06

Mold, UK

#27446 Jul 6, 2013
DiamondDustedRose wrote:
H Lady Eleanor.... I owe you one...
((HUG))
@}-'--,---
Hi Dear Rose....you don't have to send one to receive one!
Just come in from painting outside followed by eating
Cherrilicious ice-cream in the sun....it's gorgeous out
there, Summer has finally arrived.
Hope everything in your garden is coming up roses....
{{{HUGS}}} <3

informs against BS

#27447 Jul 6, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
'Morning Denny....
has warmed up here and is a pleasant 75'ish. I can stand sitting
in the sun with that, it could be hotter as my painting was dry
as I was applying it.
My hottest ever Summer was in NJ....a neighbour 'plied' me
with Manhattan's sitting by the pool...she couldn't believe
it when I got up and walked completely steadily back home.
That was my introduction to NJ. I noticed her making mine
stronger as well....never miss a trick!
has warmed up here and is a pleasant 75'ish.

Wouldn't that qualify as hawt ... there?!:)

“HI!”

Mold, UK

#27448 Jul 6, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>the Djokovic match was actually the better match ... a new record for length of play in a semi-final, nearly 5 hours ....
Not to take anything away from Andy's match ... he really pulled away in the last 1 1/2 sets.
The final looks like it will be awesome!
Hey Franko....I believe it was a brilliant match, saw a few
highlights later on (Djokivich)....I really like Jerge Janovich (sp) in fact I was 'come on Jerge' lol..but it was nice to see
Andy win in all fairness, and of course being British and all
that, would be nice..I wouldn't miss tomorrow's game for the world.

informs against BS

#27449 Jul 6, 2013
DiamondDustedRose wrote:
Actually that was supposed to say...
Hey Lady Elearnor... I owe you one...
((HUG))
@}-'--,---
Wishing all the good folks who visit Lady Eleanors Kitchen a great day and sending you all of my best wishes for Peace, Love, Health and Happiness..
@}-'--,---
Hey Deer Whisperer...
It's another one of those yucky rainy days down here in the valley... Raining off and on for three days now... and when it rains it's been as if someone unzipped the clouds and it all falls at once...
Hope it's drier and sunnier up your way...
Have a Good one...
@}-'--,---
Good morning to you, ValleyRose (less typing!) Thursday and Friday were rain-less, finally! More sun on Friday, woohoo! Threatening rain now, and I need to go shopping after while for a birthday gift for a grand-daughter.

And a fine weekend hoped for you!

informs against BS

#27450 Jul 6, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Loved 'em ALL..
Brilliant.. lol
Great ... and compelling avatar picture Grace! Almost ... intimidating!:)

informs against BS

#27451 Jul 6, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Franko....I believe it was a brilliant match, saw a few
highlights later on (Djokivich)....I really like Jerge Janovich (sp) in fact I was 'come on Jerge' lol..but it was nice to see
Andy win in all fairness, and of course being British and all
that, would be nice..I wouldn't miss tomorrow's game for the world.
I'll back Murray with you.. that will 'cover' for my mistake on giving him last year's Wimbledon championship when it was the Olympic Gold at Wimbledon instead.

OH, I learned this morning that the 23-year old women's final competitor (Lisic?) is allergic to grass and has to medicate for it.

“HI!”

Mold, UK

#27452 Jul 6, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Cuz El, I did. And thanks for thinking of me re: Dylan Thomas reading. You've good heart and soul.
Sousa had a big 'say' about adopting "Star Spangled Banner" as our official national anthem, when 'we' finally got around to doing that. As conductor of the U.S. Marine Band, he assured that it was performed frequently in their engagements. I watched a documentary on PBS last night produced by Maryland Public Television about our national hymn, the melody based on a variation of song from a gentleman's social club in London. That melody gained favor in merry olde England with various lyrics, and was dubbed (in general) an English drinking song.
Wikipedia offers the salient points included in the TV program:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_spangled_ba...
"The Star-Spangled Banner" is the national anthem of the United States. It is also among some of the world's national anthems that are based on a poem, along with the Hymn to Liberty, the national anthem of both Greece and Cyprus. The lyrics come from "Defence of Fort McHenry",[1] a poem written in 1814 by the 35-year-old lawyer and amateur poet, Francis Scott Key, after witnessing the bombardment of Fort McHenry by the British Royal Navy ships in Chesapeake Bay during the Battle of Fort McHenry in the War of 1812.
The poem was set to the tune of a popular British song written by John Stafford Smith for the Anacreontic Society, a men's social club in London. "The Anacreontic Song" (or "To Anacreon in Heaven"), with various lyrics, was already popular in the United States. Set to Key's poem and renamed "The Star-Spangled Banner", it would soon become a well-known American patriotic song. With a range of one and a half octaves, it is known for being difficult to sing. Although the poem has four stanzas, only the first is commonly sung today.
"The Star-Spangled Banner" was recognized for official use by the Navy in 1889, and by President Woodrow Wilson in 1916, and was made the national anthem by a congressional resolution on March 3, 1931 (46 Stat. 1508, codified at 36 U.S.C. 301), which was signed by President Herbert Hoover.
Before 1931, other songs served as the hymns of American officialdom. "Hail, Columbia" served this purpose at official functions for most of the 19th century. "My Country,'Tis of Thee", whose melody is identical to "God Save the Queen", the British national anthem,[2] also served as a de facto anthem.[3] Following the War of 1812 and subsequent American wars, other songs would emerge to compete for popularity at public events, among them "The Star-Spangled Banner".
and
On November 3, 1929, Robert Ripley drew a panel in his syndicated cartoon, Ripley's Believe it or Not!, saying "Believe It or Not, America has no national anthem".[11] In 1931, John Philip Sousa published his opinion in favor, stating that "it is the spirit of the music that inspires" as much as it is Key's "soul-stirring" words. By a law signed on March 3, 1931 by President Herbert Hoover, "The Star-Spangled Banner" was adopted as the national anthem of the United States of America.
Cuz Luke.....thank you so much for this, I love to learn the origins of matters of such magnitude, and have been fascinated by
the information provided in the link you kindly supplied....
Truly fascinating. I wasn't able to open the musical links
unfortunately but will attempt to find elsewhere, very interesting
indeed and again, thank you.

Beautiful flag...

informs against BS

#27453 Jul 6, 2013
Alrighty, Kitchen-eers et al. Enjoy what this Saturday brings. For me, it looks like dodging raindrops and other shoppers (got to get a birthday present for a grand-kid).

I must be off!:)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#27454 Jul 6, 2013
Vee wrote:
Happeeeeeeeeeeeeee Saturday to most of you . I wanted to chime in and wish a good day, leaving for work in 30 minutes. Yesterday, I made up my hours for being off work Thursday and it was a great, great, productive day. The heat is going to kill the majority of us and I am hoping for snow. Shall be back on here sometime later, going to lunch after work with a few co workers.
Hey there Veeeeeee! Whether sick time, vacation or just one day off, it seems we put in more we leave and more when we return. Why bother to take off?!

I made up this holiday week for my own time off the week before.

Stay cooooooooool!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#27455 Jul 6, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Good morning El and Grace and all my friends
When you talk about it being hot I smile. The heat doesn't bother me much. My wife doesn't understand how I can enjoy sitting out on the patio when it is 100. I turn on the mister and enjoy reading in my reclining lawn chair :)
I'm with ya Denny! Not find of the A/C and prefer it over 80F. Can do without the humidity but then we can't have everything!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#27456 Jul 6, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>yo franko!

that could be part of it ... and ensuring that the system was abused for the solidification of the power and comfort of the Muslim Brotherhood faction.

But, the current unrest is the dis-satisfaction of the other segments of the Egyptian populace and political activists in being steam-rolled by Morsi, the Islamist-stacked parliament, and the constitution they developed; asserting that their voice in resolving various domestics issues was not being heard.

Selective events in timeline outlined here:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/world/2013/07...

Nov. 28, 2011-Feb 15, 2012 — Egypt holds multistage, weekslong parliamentary elections. In the lawmaking lower house, the Muslim Brotherhood wins nearly half the seats, and ultraconservative Salafis take another quarter. The remainder goes to liberal, independent and secular politicians. In the largely powerless upper house, Islamists take nearly 90 percent of the seats.

Nov. 19 — Members of liberal parties and representatives of Egypt’s churches withdraw from the 100-member assembly writing the constitution, protesting attempts by Islamists to impose their will.

Nov. 22 — Morsi unilaterally decrees greater powers for himself, giving his decisions immunity from judicial review and barring the courts from dissolving the constituent assembly and the upper house of parliament. The move sparks days of protests.

Nov. 30 —Islamists in the constituent assembly rush to complete the draft of the constitution. Morsi sets a Dec. 15 date for a referendum.

Dec. 15, Dec. 22 — In the two-round referendum, Egyptians approve the constitution, with 63.8 percent voting in favor. Turnout is low.[while the Muslim Brotherhood turned out in sufficient numbers for the very 'favorable' vote]

and for brevity, I omitted physical attacks of Coptic Christians and secular activists and protesters by Islamists zealots.

It's deeper than corruption and graft.
Wow! And here I thought it got better for the people when they ousted Mubarak. Just exchanged one devil for another.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's your tip for the day? 6 min a_visitor 1,210
"The KISSING BOOTH: - Who Would You Most Like t... (Apr '13) 9 min t 1,575
What Turns You On? (Oct '10) 12 min t 2,184
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 12 min deutscher Nationa... 120,671
Super drunk woman arrested, mistook jail for bar 14 min t 4
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 15 min Here-Kitty 137,891
Puppy-sized spider spotted in South America 16 min a_visitor 24
During Obama's Speech at Democratic Campaign Ra... 19 min t 3
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 31 min sunshine 22,209
True or False Game 1 hr Sublime1 348