El's Kitchen

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#27055 Jun 25, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
He won the French Open overcoming injury for gawd's sake!
I know ... everyone was so impressed .. but there is speculatoin that his knee is sore and that grass might be the worst surface to play on with a bad knee.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#27056 Jun 25, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
But you knew that surely. GB is comprised of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
Our great white hope, lol, Andy Murray is Scottish, there was a time not long ago when he was known to remark that he would wish anyone would win a certain tournament except for the English! lol
Understandable given the history.
But he has earned his way into our hearts, none cheer him moreso than the large English audience at Wimbledon, and although it will be from my armchair, I will cheering him on too.
I do hope that Great Britain grows in unity and eventually puts aside that histroy .. not an easy thing ... Yugoslavia split up due to internal animosity, as did Chzeckslovakia.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#27057 Jun 25, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm an avid reader anyway so checking out "banned" books I've yet to read is another opportunity to read something different.
fell free to pass on any goo ones you come across.. I hAVE WONDERED ABOUT READING mein kampf WHICH HITLER WROTE WHILE IN JAIL.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#27058 Jun 25, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>fell free to pass on any goo ones you come across.. I hAVE WONDERED ABOUT READING mein kampf WHICH HITLER WROTE WHILE IN JAIL.
I tried to read it once.....not an easy read by a long shot.

Can you imagine they were planning to revise Huck Finn?

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2011/2/1/wo...

Did you have Mother Goose as a kid? They sanitized that one too :(

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#27059 Jun 25, 2013
Gracious good evening/morning Kitchen-eers. Good and improving health as appropriate to the denizens of dining. So ... we're nigh onto Strawberries and Cream at Wimbledon, eh wot?! Just so, I say we 'huzzah' victory of the now-reigning U.S. Open (golf) champion Englishmen Justin Rose two week-ends past. The Open Championship playing at Muirfield is upcoming in July.

Let me caution franko :)... calling tennis pro and last year's Wimbledon champ Andy Murray and Englishman will get you grief from Sean Connery! I remember that 'row' last year.

Another June baby here; Saturday 6/22. In celebration on Sunday, 2 daughters (and a future son-in-law) treated to a trip to a cavern exploration by boat float tour in southern Indiana. Long day with drive, but an amazing experience.

http://www.bluespringcaverns.com/

Mundane, but 'new and different': I had to lure,'corral', and release a skink (lizard) to my woods this evening; with watermelon inside an Ocean Spray juice bottle set away from my "closet-size" utility room where it was hiding under my washing machine. It didn't go in the bottle, but it was along side it where I could trap with broom and dust pan. Had 2 escapes before I could get it outside.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#27060 Jun 25, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
Gracious good evening/morning Kitchen-eers. Good and improving health as appropriate to the denizens of dining. So ... we're nigh onto Strawberries and Cream at Wimbledon, eh wot?! Just so, I say we 'huzzah' victory of the now-reigning U.S. Open (golf) champion Englishmen Justin Rose two week-ends past. The Open Championship playing at Muirfield is upcoming in July.

Let me caution franko :)... calling tennis pro and last year's Wimbledon champ Andy Murray and Englishman will get you grief from Sean Connery! I remember that 'row' last year.

Another June baby here; Saturday 6/22. In celebration on Sunday, 2 daughters (and a future son-in-law) treated to a trip to a cavern exploration by boat float tour in southern Indiana. Long day with drive, but an amazing experience.

Mundane, but 'new and different': I had to lure,'corral', and release a skink (lizard) to my woods this evening; with watermelon inside an Ocean Spray juice bottle set away from my "closet-size" utility room where it was hiding under my washing machine. It didn't go in the bottle, but it was along side it where I could trap with broom and dust pan. Had 2 escapes before I could get it outside.
Hi there Deer Whisperer! Sounds like things have been pretty eventful for you... In a good and fun way !
:-)

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#27061 Jun 25, 2013
Recently in another Indiana area a young employee made a mistake in cleaning a big cat area and paid a price. Fortunately she is recovering sufficiently to be upgraded in condition:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130622/NEWS...

She is an adult at 21, and as a budding professional has to be concerned with policy and procedure.

I did see on TV about a gorilla being pestered by little kids in a zoo, and "giving back". I think some perspective is appropriate.

Fortunately this is another of the many viewing areas for enjoyment of being near wild animals *with* a safety glass partition. That said, it is certainly quite desirable for parents to educate appropriate behaviour and respect rendered by their offspring for all kinds of experiences and situations. And starting early is key; but parents can be oh so neglectful.

A conscientious establishment *at least* should follow-through and speak to said parents about such incidents even though there are safety partitions. Further follow-up measurements can be invoked as well if pertinent.

Parents are responsible here: harm or worse to children from parental neglect is always difficult to handle.

Wishing harm or worse to children and assigning responsibility to said children for transgressions of *innocent excitement and glee* from lack of parental supervision is one of the saddest posts in its special way I've ever read on Topix.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#27062 Jun 25, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I tried to read it once.....not an easy read by a long shot.
Can you imagine they were planning to revise Huck Finn?
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2011/2/1/wo...
Did you have Mother Goose as a kid? They sanitized that one too :(
It just makes me curious to see what was in the mind of such a man in the early days of his rise to power ... and what was it in that book that inspired millions of citizens to go along with him?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#27063 Jun 25, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
I would never dare to call anyone an Englishmen if they are Scottish Irish or Welsh.

BTW .. Murray did not win Wimbledon, but he did win the Olympics played at Wimbledon.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Southampton, UK

#27064 Jun 25, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>fell free to pass on any goo ones you come across.. I hAVE WONDERED ABOUT READING mein kampf WHICH HITLER WROTE WHILE IN JAIL.
Have read it and frankly, it isn't worth it. Very badly written, its only interest value is in interpreting Hitler's later foreign policy actions, but even then, it isn't any blueprint: it is very vague.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Southampton, UK

#27065 Jun 25, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Saw part of the match on the sports news this morning Tony,
all credit to the Belgian, he played great. Good luck to him.
I'm over it now..lol..rooting for our Andy.(Much as I love
Federer and Djokovic)
You can also root for Laura Robson after the brilliant way she put out the number 10 seed yesterday - 6-3, 6-4. At last it looks as if we might have a class act in Brit females around again - been too long since we could say that. Again, I was dead luck y to catch the game - you wouldn't have thought she is only 19 (although she was junior champion at Wimbledon last year).

“United for Hillsborough!”

Since: Jun 06

Louth, UK

#27066 Jun 26, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
Hugs and best thoughts to you ways El! So glad I stumbled into the Kitchen!
...:)

Louth, UK

#27067 Jun 26, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I would never dare to call anyone an Englishmen if they are Scottish Irish or Welsh.
BTW .. Murray did not win Wimbledon, but he did win the Olympics played at Wimbledon.
Silly really when we are all part of the United Kingdom, although
there are those in Scotland would like Independence, but considering they are finacially dependent upon Westminster (London)
would be a detrimental move.

Silly too, as basically we are a bunch of mongrels, in that most
have some Irish, Scottish and/or Welsh blood...
although I have yet to trace any Welsh ancestry myself...:)

Welsh pride is to be admired, they wear their patriotism on their
sleeves and shout their nationality from the roof tops, yet half of them, particularly in South Wales, have English ancestry.

I can usually spot the latter at a glance, as they are invariably
taller, the Welsh being short in stature.

Louth, UK

#27068 Jun 26, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
You can also root for Laura Robson after the brilliant way she put out the number 10 seed yesterday - 6-3, 6-4. At last it looks as if we might have a class act in Brit females around again - been too long since we could say that. Again, I was dead luck y to catch the game - you wouldn't have thought she is only 19 (although she was junior champion at Wimbledon last year).
Absolutely. Be brilliant if she went all the way, certainly
rooting for Laura.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#27069 Jun 26, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
To more mundane issues...
I was doing out the fridge found a full
quarter lb of butter that went hiding in fridge -
put it into waste ready to throw out ..
was interrupted by a phone call..
yes, you guessed, went back into
only to find rubbish rummaged through..
and the only remaining sign of the illusive
butter was... a well licked paper lying on
the floor, the contents well scoffed
by 'you know who'
with the waggly tail(:
Life goes on!
hummmmmm a lapador golden no doubt

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#27070 Jun 26, 2013
HELL EL...these threads are sooooo GLOOMY...BEST fix me a double layer slice of Chocolate Cake And a Cup of JOE...SHESSH!!!

Louth, UK

#27071 Jun 26, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
Very many congrats on the new baby...a good date to be born.

Louth, UK

#27072 Jun 26, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
Recently in another Indiana area a young employee made a mistake in cleaning a big cat area and paid a price. Fortunately she is recovering sufficiently to be upgraded in condition:
http://www.indystar.com/article/20130622/NEWS...
She is an adult at 21, and as a budding professional has to be concerned with policy and procedure.
I did see on TV about a gorilla being pestered by little kids in a zoo, and "giving back". I think some perspective is appropriate.
Fortunately this is another of the many viewing areas for enjoyment of being near wild animals *with* a safety glass partition. That said, it is certainly quite desirable for parents to educate appropriate behaviour and respect rendered by their offspring for all kinds of experiences and situations. And starting early is key; but parents can be oh so neglectful.
A conscientious establishment *at least* should follow-through and speak to said parents about such incidents even though there are safety partitions. Further follow-up measurements can be invoked as well if pertinent.
Parents are responsible here: harm or worse to children from parental neglect is always difficult to handle.
Wishing harm or worse to children and assigning responsibility to said children for transgressions of *innocent excitement and glee* from lack of parental supervision is one of the saddest posts in its special way I've ever read on Topix.
Most unfortunate about the young keeper, so dedicated too, but at the mercy of her co-workers, who apparently were negligent here.
To be hoped she makes a full recovery, and lessons are learnt.

I wish I could catergorise children behaving badly toward animals, however safety housed, as *innocent excitement and glee*..in many cases is it downright wickedness. They themselves know that they cannot be reached by the said animals, and so they taunt the animals to a point of frustration. Can we always blame lack of parental guidance? I think not. I believe it is *in* some kids that no matter how well brought up they are, and however much they are taught, respect animals, off the leash as it were, their true nature will out.

An instance is a very well brought up grand-child of a dear friend of mine. This boy looks like an angel, his grand parents have two dogs, three cats, who in their presence, he outwardly adores.

I had a litter of tiny kittens who I had allowed in the garden, to play on the steps and catch some fresh air. Momentarily my attention was directed elsewhere, I turned to see this boy (aged 10) knocking the blind kitten (Little Nell)(who I kept) off the step. So much for all his parental guidance.

Another instance is our cat Oliver, now deceased.

Oliver was used as target practice and left for dead by a VERY well brought up young man, brought up with a moral background,
his parents running a Christian establishment...wanted for nothing but taught good values.
He was later heard boasting about how many pellets he shot into our cat. Who incidentally recovered with good surgery and TLC.

No, you can't always blame the parents, and I echo Quincy in many respects, the little buggers want a good sharp shock, personally I could willingly give them a 'back hander', LOL.

Meant to say, well done for releasing the skink....

Louth, UK

#27073 Jun 26, 2013
Colorado Chick wrote:
HELL EL...these threads are sooooo GLOOMY...BEST fix me a double layer slice of Chocolate Cake And a Cup of JOE...SHESSH!!!
Where's gloomy? Not here it ain't...put the choccy cake
down CC and join in the fun....what's going on in your world?

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#27074 Jun 26, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Where's gloomy? Not here it ain't...put the choccy cake
down CC and join in the fun....what's going on in your world?
Cub Scout Sleep Over...HAD to take a break!!!..Noooo, I need that CAKE...GIVE IT BACK!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Make up your wildest Headline. (Aug '08) 3 min Parden Pard 380
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 20 min ilovedesigirls 7,404
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) 26 min eleanorigby 7,135
tell me one word to describe yourself (Jun '09) 42 min Sharlene45 15,828
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 42 min THE LONE WORKER 199,177
Same Letter Sentence Game (Feb '15) 1 hr Rachel 68
True False Game (Jun '11) 1 hr SweLL GirL 12,368
2words into 2new words (May '12) 2 hr Sharlene45 2,149
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 3 hr River Tam 192,708
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 8 hr wichita-rick 17,984