El's Kitchen

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#26108 May 28, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>If you had concealed carry your terrible murder rate would go down. Only the criminals have guns now and yet you don't put the killers in jail with long sentences
The fact that our criminal justice stem is screwed up and murderers don't serve long sentences is no legitimate reason to arm the masses.

Try fixing the CJ system first.

“Towards Spring”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#26110 May 28, 2013
Enjoy BGT tonight, El..

I know I will..
wh@tever the result.(:

I love the Welsh brothers..
know you do too...

Vee

“Happeeeeeee 2016!!!!!!!”

Location hidden

#26111 May 28, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Enjoy your walk Grace, it's a nice morning here, I may
walk down to the lake after lunch if the rain stays off,
I do miss having a dog to take.
I see you are back!!!!! Yippeeeee, yipppeeeee, yippeeeeee, horray, horray, goody goody soooooooo happeeeeeeeeeeee. Okay. Gotta check the oven. Cooking chicken breasts with garlic, honey, and butter. Whew, I am worn out from all this exuberance.(Missed you) Happeeeeeeeeeeeeee TWOSday to all.

Vee

“Happeeeeeee 2016!!!!!!!”

Location hidden

#26112 May 28, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Enjoy your walk Grace, it's a nice morning here, I may
walk down to the lake after lunch if the rain stays off,
I do miss having a dog to take.
This is the time to get another dog, El, so that if you had any spare time at all, you can now forget about that. ha!!!! My sister went for jury duty this AM to see if she will be picked. Her last jury was a murder case. Now she has something really vile and disgusting. A 12 year old girl is involved. Cant say anymore but use your imagination.She has not been pickied for it yet but she said it beats working. Ha!! When you are picked for jury duty you cant be sure you will ever see that juror again with all the days and long hours.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Glastonbury, UK

#26114 May 28, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>If you had concealed carry your terrible murder rate would go down. Only the criminals have guns now and yet you don't put the killers in jail with long sentences
Clearly, you didn't read my previous post. I researched that very carefully using US government statistics as it is the only way that I can find out about the US gun situation. Yet you continue to make these assertions with no evidence to refute what I researched: apart from some daft NRA stance that to anyone outside the USA (and many within it) becomes increasingly illogical. Either provide some statistics to support what you claim, or please stop making unsubstantiated assertions (in short, put up or shut up).

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

A little hole in the wall.

#26115 May 28, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Who? Me or Hillary?
would you like to be?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#26116 May 28, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, Denny, can't let this one go as it is so inaccurate as to come under Disraeli's definition od damn'd lies.
So you walk in fear in the streets of the UK when you visit because you can't carry a gun? I think not. One or two rough areas of London (not the ones where tourists go) have gang problems - which usually means they stab other gang member, not the general public.
As to your statistic about concealed carry and strict gun laws, it is plain wrong. Top most violent states are as follows - the first bracketed figure is the deaths per 100,000 of population, the second is the ranking out of 50 states as to how liberal the gun control laws are - 1 is the most relaxed gun laws, 50 is the most strict:
1. Louisiana (19.9)(23)
2. Mississippi (18.3)(4)
3=. Alaska (17.6)(11)
Alabama (17.6)(27)
5. Arkansas (15.1)(7)
6=. Arizona (15)(1)
New Mexico (15)(6)
You will notice that Connecticut, California, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Hawaii, the states with the strictest gun control laws, feature nowhere in the top 7 most violent states.
Incidently, in 2012 the murder rate in the UK was 1 per 100,000 of population. For 2011, the most recent figure I can find, it was 4.7 - almost 5 times that of the UK.
Looking at those 7 states, I am wondering what the correlatoin to violence is, since it does not seem to correlate to gun control laws .... high poverty? High drug trafficking? High black population? High latino population? High illegal alians population?? What else?

The murder rate in canada is also lower than in the USA and we have way fewer guns and no carry laws of any kind. The murder rate has increased in the past 20 years and lo and behold, the rate of drug gangs has increased too ...

As you indicated, many murders are one gang member against another .... the general population is about as safe now as they were 30 years ago.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#26117 May 28, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security if a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"
No every person does not have the right to a gun and 200 some odd years later we no longer require 'a well regulated militia'. We have trained policemen and a well regulated military.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/anncon/html/amdt2_...
The supreme court doesn't agree with your reading. Check out title 10 that explains the national guard and the militia. If you are a male you are in the militia until age 40 if I remember correctly and until age 65 with previous military service. The last time the militia was called out was in Hawaii in world war two when the locals were told to grab their guns and come to the beach to defend the island. The militia is the people according to Mason who was a founder

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#26118 May 28, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security if a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"
No every person does not have the right to a gun and 200 some odd years later we no longer require 'a well regulated militia'. We have trained policemen and a well regulated military.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/anncon/html/amdt2_...
As for the Miller decision that made a sawed off shotgun you should research it and you will find that Miller was a bootlegger and had a sawed off shotgun. The government argued that a sawed off shotgun was not a weapon used by the military. Sawed off shotguns were plainly used in WW1 but there was no one who argued the case for Miller at all. There was no lawyer who represented Miller

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#26119 May 28, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
and yet,
A few folks approached these killers and asked them what they were doing,
Women, if you can believe it! one of whom asked permission to sit by
the deceased.
A whole shocking sorry episode.
How are you FRANKO-
And how's your business going?
WEll, did hey actually try to stop them, while they were in the act? I do find their behaviour very brave .. but I suspect they realized that the soldiers was the target and as long as they did not act aggresively they would not be harmed.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#26120 May 28, 2013
thought , it isn't where the gun is from but the who....

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#26121 May 28, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly, you didn't read my previous post. I researched that very carefully using US government statistics as it is the only way that I can find out about the US gun situation. Yet you continue to make these assertions with no evidence to refute what I researched: apart from some daft NRA stance that to anyone outside the USA (and many within it) becomes increasingly illogical. Either provide some statistics to support what you claim, or please stop making unsubstantiated assertions (in short, put up or shut up).
At first blush, the numbers seem to be on Hilton's side. According to statistics kept by the N.C. Attorney General's Office the raw number of violent crimes murders, rapes, robberies and aggravated assaults has dropped. In 1995, there were 45,016 such crimes throughout the state. In 2010, the last year for which state level data is available, there were 34,033 such crimes.

When those numbers are converted into rates that take into account population growth, the violent crime rate dropped from 649 per 100,000 people in 1995 to 374.4 per 100,000 people in 2010. That's a drop of 24.4 percent in terms of the raw number of crimes or a drop of 42.3 percent drop in the violent crime rate.

That, Hilton said, argues for fewer "gun-free zones" like restaurants that serve alcohol.

"We think that where these gun-free zones are, criminals think they have a better chance of committing their crime."
Tony I don't like to do a lot of copy and paste but it is a plain fact that in places that make it difficult to own or carry a gun the murder rates are higher. Check Washington DC and Chicago for example. The more legally armed people the lower the crime rates. In Florida where they have over a million people with concealed carry tourist at airports are targeted because they know they are not armed. If you were going to mug someone would you want to do it in a state where concealed carry was illegal or would be more cautious knowing over a million people were armed. In every state crime rates took a drop when concealed carry was passed

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#26122 May 28, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tony you are right I didn't see your post

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#26123 May 28, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, Denny, can't let this one go as it is so inaccurate as to come under Disraeli's definition od damn'd lies.
So you walk in fear in the streets of the UK when you visit because you can't carry a gun? I think not. One or two rough areas of London (not the ones where tourists go) have gang problems - which usually means they stab other gang member, not the general public.
As to your statistic about concealed carry and strict gun laws, it is plain wrong. Top most violent states are as follows - the first bracketed figure is the deaths per 100,000 of population, the second is the ranking out of 50 states as to how liberal the gun control laws are - 1 is the most relaxed gun laws, 50 is the most strict:
1. Louisiana (19.9)(23)
2. Mississippi (18.3)(4)
3=. Alaska (17.6)(11)
Alabama (17.6)(27)
5. Arkansas (15.1)(7)
6=. Arizona (15)(1)
New Mexico (15)(6)
You will notice that Connecticut, California, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Hawaii, the states with the strictest gun control laws, feature nowhere in the top 7 most violent states.
Incidently, in 2012 the murder rate in the UK was 1 per 100,000 of population. For 2011, the most recent figure I can find, it was 4.7 - almost 5 times that of the UK.
http://www.carryconcealed.net/carrying-concea... . Tony the biggest factor in Murder is race. Blacks murder at a rate 8 times higher than whites. Mexicans also have a very high murder rate. One out of 3 men is in prison or has been in prison. It is illegal for a felon to even own a gun. The more legally armed people the lower the crime rate. You can't have only crimminals armed

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#26124 May 28, 2013

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#26125 May 28, 2013
Media bias and defensive gun use

Lott argues in both More Guns, Less Crime and The Bias Against Guns that media coverage of defensive gun use is rare, noting that in general, only shootings ending in fatalities are discussed in news stories. In More Guns, Less Crime, Lott writes that "[s]ince in many defensive cases a handgun is simply brandished, and no one is harmed, many defensive uses are never even reported to the police".

Attempting to quantify this phenomenon, in the first edition of the book, published in May 1998, Lott wrote that "national surveys" suggested that "98 percent of the time that people use guns defensively, they merely have to brandish a weapon to break off an attack." In that same paragraph he also wrote that "[s]ince in many defensive cases a handgun is simply brandished, and no one is harmed, many defensive uses are never even reported to the police." The higher the rate of defensive gun uses that do not end in the attacker being killed or wounded, the easier it is to explain why defensive gun uses are not covered by the media without reference to media bias. Lott cited the figure frequently in the media, including publications like the Wall Street Journal[32] and the Los Angeles Times.[33]

In 2002, he repeated the study, and reported that brandishing a weapon was sufficient to stop an attack 95% of the time. Other researchers criticized his methodology, saying that his sample size of 1,015 respondents was too small for the study to be accurate and that the majority of similar studies suggest a value between 70 and 80 percent.[34] Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz's 1994 estimate rises to 92 percent when brandishing and warning shots are added together.[35] Lott explained the lower rates found by others was at least in part due to the different questions that were asked.[36] The other surveys all asked people to recall events over the previous five years, while Lott had only asked people about events that had occurred during just the previous year. Lott used the higher estimate because it accounted for his claim of media bias. The survey questions have also been made available for years to anyone who would have liked to replicate the survey themselves.
Tony the more lawful armed people the lower the crime rate. Who is going to attack a man with a gun????

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#26126 May 28, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>would you like to be?
Heck NO! Too many skeletons in the closet.....and the basement ...... and up in the attic....

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#26127 May 28, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>Looking at those 7 states, I am wondering what the correlatoin to violence is, since it does not seem to correlate to gun control laws .... high poverty? High drug trafficking? High black population? High latino population? High illegal alians population?? What else?

The murder rate in canada is also lower than in the USA and we have way fewer guns and no carry laws of any kind. The murder rate has increased in the past 20 years and lo and behold, the rate of drug gangs has increased too ...

As you indicated, many murders are one gang member against another .... the general population is about as safe now as they were 30 years ago.
.....and stay out of the wrong 'hoods at 2am

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#26128 May 28, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
Grace,
The London Tube station attack was also abhorrent
but it didn't bring about change. Because this
country of ours have bent over backwards to uphold
the European Human Right's Act as laid down by the EU.
As a result it is left to those to take matters into their own hands, which will only lead to more violence.
I am a Pacifist also which is okay if everybody else is!
It is interesting that so many nations seem to want to introduce and abide by rules that promote those human rights, recognizing that all the nations of the world now interact and are capable of both good and bad on a worldwide scale. It seems that the bad ones take advantage of the openness this policy creates .... they see it as a weakness. But it takes strength to not retaliate in kind. Of course, if they did retaliate in kind they would be branded as hypocrites.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#26129 May 28, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>The supreme court doesn't agree with your reading. Check out title 10 that explains the national guard and the militia. If you are a male you are in the militia until age 40 if I remember correctly and until age 65 with previous military service. The last time the militia was called out was in Hawaii in world war two when the locals were told to grab their guns and come to the beach to defend the island. The militia is the people according to Mason who was a founder
Well ask a Latin King, maybe he's part of the militia if he's under 40. After all, nowhere in that second amendment I coped did it exclude felons. It said "...the right of the people....." So I guess by your reading Adam Lanza, Jared Lee & Nidal Hasan had every right to walk around with a gun.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 20 min For Pete s Sake 35,206
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 3 hr Faerydust 151,005
News Sex museum displays Hillary Rodham Clinton bust (Aug '06) 3 hr brooke 19
girls choosing to not wear panties ok or not? (Apr '12) 3 hr Princess Hey 163
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 3 hr Faerydust 7,329
The last word in the sentence must rhyme with t... (Aug '15) 3 hr Faerydust 2,175
Caught on video 3 3 hr Jackie 326
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 4 hr Jackie 227,279
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 4 hr Faerydust 84,569
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 4 hr Faerydust 16,586
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 6 hr Jackie 6,985
More from around the web