El's Kitchen

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#25502 May 8, 2013
DRAMA, DRAMA, DRAMA...wayyyyyy tooooo early... in the MORNING!!... Let sit by the Bay Window and watch the Hummingbirds feeding..WITH a slice of your Peach Streusel Coffeecake and French Roast Coffee EL...see you have the SERIOUS COFFEE DRINKERS HERE TODAY!!

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#25503 May 8, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Good morning El. There were 30 people who survived the Benghazi attack but no one has talked to them until now. The have been under great preassue to not talk. Today 3 will testify before congress and the truth will come out. The damn shame is the media is so in the take for Obama they have given the story little coverage because it was just before the election. It is now clear Hilliary lied when she testified before congress. 4 people were killed and the original CIA reports were changed by the white house and the lie that the attack was a spontaneous demonstration. They told this lie for 2 weeks. We now know that they could have sent help but were ordered not too
'Morning Denny..
Appreciate you putting us in the picture..for myself I was
not aware of any of this, the cover ups that is, from memory
I understood that it was all about a video which had been taken
exception to, but later that was ruled out as being the cause?
The British Ambassador was very fortunate but not so his security guards. Let's just hope that some truths will come out today,
the families of the deceased deserve that at the very least.

Location hidden

#25504 May 8, 2013
Colorado Chick wrote:
DRAMA, DRAMA, DRAMA...wayyyyyy tooooo early... in the MORNING!!... Let sit by the Bay Window and watch the Hummingbirds feeding..WITH a slice of your Peach Streusel Coffeecake and French Roast Coffee EL...see you have the SERIOUS COFFEE DRINKERS HERE TODAY!!
CC...fed the birds...having a cold snap here after two days of blistering heat (75) lol..and the birds are hungry.
We had a cream tea, Cornish style at tea time but just between you and I and the gate post, I forgit what Tony (who is in Cornwall)
advised me as far as the order of cream versus jam...and..not only that...I spread the scones with butter first...it's not done apparently.....(:
For all that they were very nice indeed..so I hope you will settle for a Cornish Cream Tea.

Level 2

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#25505 May 8, 2013
WELL! What a delight to check out Offbeat.. and see this lovely welcoming new thread! I can even smell the bread baking..from here!! El. Yestrday The men were here-electricity off much of the day-A lot of disruption here and v cold-but work must be done-this morning- electricity off too.. im doing this post from my 1phone! so will talk later whn things are more normal. Meantime CONGRATS El, on a great thread here LOL.. x

Level 2

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#25506 May 8, 2013
HELLO SHILO - the flowers are beautiful and a big thank you to you for those.
You most certainly can - one freshly baked crusty end piece coming your way, butter in curls straight from the 'fridge, scalding cup of tea - help yourself to sugar or lemon, whichever you wish.
Speaking of tea - I made a rather nice dessert earlier, using green tea, fresh leaves pounded in the mortar and pestle, then spinkled on a good vanilla ice-cream, this was Cornish, where Tony hails from, sprinkled in turn with dark chocolate grated. Delish.
Ver nice to see you here Shilo, hope you will come often.

“Maytime”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

#25507 May 8, 2013
mybackfkinghurts wrote:
HELLO SHILO - the flowers are beautiful and a big thank you to you for those.
You most certainly can - one freshly baked crusty end piece coming your way, butter in curls straight from the 'fridge, scalding cup of tea - help yourself to sugar or lemon, whichever you wish.
Speaking of tea - I made a rather nice dessert earlier, using green tea, fresh leaves pounded in the mortar and pestle, then spinkled on a good vanilla ice-cream, this was Cornish, where Tony hails from, sprinkled in turn with dark chocolate grated. Delish.
Ver nice to see you here Shilo, hope you will come often.
Am I the only one feeling stoopid here!
'cos I can't figure the past two posts
from a person who say his/her back is
'Physically Challenged'!

“Maytime”

Level 8

#25508 May 8, 2013
Colorado Chick wrote:
U forgot to take into account that when you wrote that post..
It was anything but early over here for El .. Myself
And others!!'twas nearer 6pm!
But never mind, CC,
We'll keep the kettle on the boil for your coffee
And.. the cakes fresh(:

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

A little hole in the wall.

#25509 May 8, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
Morning one and all, warm welcome to Mack Trucker: always nice to see a new face in the kitchen.
Yesterday was a good day. Oncologist is happy with progress, next batch of chemo starts in a week's time, so if in about 10 days I go awol for a week, do not be surprised. She is not going to twitch the chemical mix, which means it will be another 7 days of purgatory, but known purgatory. Both she and I know I'm tough enough to take it. She just going to up the ante on the anti-nausea meds.
On the really plus side, began this at a weight of 92 kgs. on the hospital scales (yeah, I know, it means nothing to me, why can't they work in real money?!). After the week of being unable to eat, got on those same scale yesterday and was 91.3kg. My weight is holding up, which is really important in the battle to beat cancer. So bring it on, if the chemo makes me feel so bad, just think what it's going to the cancer!
And...so far, what little hair I have left has not fallen out as a result of the treatment.
thanks fo rthe updates TOny ... glad to see you upbeat and determined ...

Kilos to pounds conversion is very easy .. you multiply KG by 2.2.

SO .. you multiply 92 times 2 = 184. The you divide 18.4 by ten, which gives you 18.4. Then add the two results ... 184 plus 18 = 202 lbs.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#25510 May 8, 2013
PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
this was the second time we've ever did one, and we actually did fairly well. so it was worth the time, besides my hubby was on call for the day and we had to stick around the house anyway.
the biggest problem is i don't like tossing anything out, aways thinking i'll eventually use it again, which i never do.
but my hubby throws out Everything! which really burns my azz up, had more fights over that too. LOL
ok, i admit it - im a hothead heh...
;)
I find it really hard to throw things out too ... but I used to argue with my wife that there are SO many things we never really needed so why did we buy it?(yes, most of that stuff is by her!!).... ANd like you, I hated when she cleared things out without showing me what she was getting rid of ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#25511 May 8, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi K - far too many things left on the bucket list - I intend to be around for when we host the world cup for RU, especially as a few matches are in Exeter. Anyway, there are still a host of people I want to bother before I go!!!
HAHAH SOunds like my brother .. hes happiest when he's bothering someone ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#25512 May 8, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
Couldn't have been easy coming off the dreaded weed Tony...speaking from experience.
Not mentioned this before, but Tony knows, so
here goes....
I was reading this book, this being many years ago, to do with keeping healthy and got to the
end to find some exercises that one could do to improve their health....one involved running up and down stairs, then taking the pulse rate which should return to normal within one minute flat.
Five minutes later my heart was racing fit to burst...lol
Being pregnant, I thought, aye up, time to give up smoking, it's not doing me any favours, so I packed it in there and then...a 20 year habit of about 15 a day.
Fast forward to being on bed rest in the maternity hospital...sadly lost the twins I was carrying..it was discovered I had cancer. Had I not, it would have continued to grow inside me. A rare form a
Hydiditiform Mole....I also made the mistake of reading up on it, found an outdated book in the library which put the fear of God in me....
I was spared chemo...merely had tests weekly, then fortnightly, monthly, for two years...then came the day...given the ALL CLEAR.
So when I say I know how you are feeling Tony, please believe it.
I won't make reference to this again, it's over, I survived. As you will, great attitude you have, the only one to have.
It's quite a story EL ... I admire how you handle things when they get tough, you've got the right attitude yourself ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#25513 May 8, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I was shocked. The most I made before was $85 and that was in two days.
that;s why I;m not in conventional retail ... the days ate too hot and too cold.

Location hidden

#25514 May 8, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>It's quite a story EL ... I admire how you handle things when they get tough, you've got the right attitude yourself ...
Thanks Franko...very much.
My darling granddaughter was born during that time and
was a great consolation.

Location hidden

#25515 May 8, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
So far I saw no mention of the
Ohio Kidnapping..
and the sudden safe return of the 3 girls,
Almost impossible to believe they lived in the heart of
the locality where they would have been known..
For TEN years!!
HARD to imagine that folks like these kidnappers
exist and can in a sense 'take lives' so casually
and suffer no pangs off conscience for years on end!!!
Shiver!!!
Worse still, I heard an expert say,
Not only are they without a conscience...
furthermore, they watch it all unfold on TV ..
and the frustration and excitement
It creates brings them continued sexual gratification!!
The mind truly boggles.
Hoping the poor ladies will be adequately cared for and in
some measure, later, have SOME kind of a peaceful
existences... Denied them for so long.
Watching further developments of this on Sky News this evening Grace, what an amazing story this is, as one onlooker said 'it doesn't always work out like this'..how right he was.
Doesn't quite make sense how it could remained so for a decade,
but what a wonderful community this is, everybody is overjoyed
at the girls' being released from what has been virtually a prison.
It will be a completely new experience for the five year old coming into the world...adaptations for all concerned.
Certainly is a happy ending.

“Maytime”

Level 8

#25516 May 8, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Watching further developments of this on Sky News this evening Grace, what an amazing story this is, as one onlooker said 'it doesn't always work out like this'..how right he was.
Doesn't quite make sense how it could remained so for a decade,
but what a wonderful community this is, everybody is overjoyed
at the girls' being released from what has been virtually a prison.
It will be a completely new experience for the five year old coming into the world...adaptations for all concerned.
Certainly is a happy ending.
Yes indeed, El,
Great community spirit,
What dreadful deprivation of their
Freedom,
But, like you say,
No point in looking back..
They're free now and with a lot of
Help I'm SURE they'll get from everyone,
and help to move on.

El,

In your Post 25486. Today,
Very sorry to hear ..of your double ordeal then..
Even though it was a long time ago,
It must have been very difficult...
SO glad you came thought in the end.

Breezy and colder tonight,

Ali got all her injections today there was a lotta
coaxing: pulling :dragging: and pleading to get
her in the vet's rooms,
She remembered last year lol!

I had pity for her, she was so frightened,
Her eye pupils became greatly enlarged..

In particular she HATED the kennel cough vac..
The Vet remarked that none of them like it
As it must be administered up the nose!
he said he hoped soon it can be done
by injection..
A lot easier.

Good Night El an' all

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#25517 May 8, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>that;s why I;m not in conventional retail ... the days ate too hot and too cold.
I'm no longer I'm conventional retail because the hours are hell .... especially between Thanksgiving & Christmas!

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#25518 May 8, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm no longer I'm conventional retail because the hours are hell .... especially between Thanksgiving & Christmas!
I guess that's true too .... although what I had in mind was the difference between minding a stationary store versus going out and actively 8943selling which is what I do.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Poole, UK

#25519 May 9, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Tony, cutting in here, if that is found to be the reason..i.e.
that the kill-cord was not in use, you would think that it would
be beneficial to bring in such as they have on trains, in other words 'the dead man's handle'. If for instance, the driver has a heart attack let us say, or loses concentration, the train stops.
Just a thought.
'Afternoon Grace...glad you asked this, interested to know myself.
Not really feasible on a RIB - it's what the kill cord is supposed to do. However, you cannot legislate to make people use one. Apparently, this family (I assume one or other parent) had undertaken some RYA training. On all RYA powerboat courses, we emphasise the importance of the kill cord: I know, I teach them. Sadly, familiarity can breed contempt and bad practice may creep in. However, I would emphasise that speculation until the MAIB finishes its investigation and publishes its report, is premature.

Location hidden

#25520 May 9, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes indeed, El,
Great community spirit,
What dreadful deprivation of their
Freedom,
But, like you say,
No point in looking back..
They're free now and with a lot of
Help I'm SURE they'll get from everyone,
and help to move on.
El,
In your Post 25486. Today,
Very sorry to hear ..of your double ordeal then..
Even though it was a long time ago,
It must have been very difficult...
SO glad you came thought in the end.
Breezy and colder tonight,
Ali got all her injections today there was a lotta
coaxing: pulling :dragging: and pleading to get
her in the vet's rooms,
She remembered last year lol!
I had pity for her, she was so frightened,
Her eye pupils became greatly enlarged..
In particular she HATED the kennel cough vac..
The Vet remarked that none of them like it
As it must be administered up the nose!
he said he hoped soon it can be done
by injection..
A lot easier.
Good Night El an' all
'Morning Grace....I see you have rain over there in Ireland...
snap...dreadful day. I put the Geraniums which I had over-wintered on the bathroom window sill, out the other day when
the weather was nice...and could see them from the living room
being battered by the wind, so I brought them all in again last
night, fortunately they were still in their pots. Decided to put them back in the bathroom. lol I am rambling on now.....

Yeah, it wasn't the best of times to say the least back then...newly married too. Can honestly say positive thinking
is half the battle in keeping one's sanity at least.

The plot thickens regarding the three young women...questions are being asked as to what sort of community would not 'feel' that there was a situation..they have a point. You think you have heard it all, then something like this comes along, unbelievable.

Poor Ali...I think the bigger the dog the more sensitive they are going to the Vets, then again, a small dog you can carry through that door. Hope she got lots of treats to make up for her horrid day!...:) It's always amusing in a way to see them being pulled into the surgery, but certainly not from the animal's point of view.

Here...I bought a new 'tower' for the cats, with little nooks and crannies, and ledges, a nice bed on the top....
This morning I emptied a cardboard box of cat pouches ready to put into the re-cycling....Blue has claimed it and is curled up inside..
Rosie has decided to share Ginger Bailey's bed...much to Bailey's disgust, he has always been his 'own person' lol.

Location hidden

#25521 May 9, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really feasible on a RIB - it's what the kill cord is supposed to do. However, you cannot legislate to make people use one. Apparently, this family (I assume one or other parent) had undertaken some RYA training. On all RYA powerboat courses, we emphasise the importance of the kill cord: I know, I teach them. Sadly, familiarity can breed contempt and bad practice may creep in. However, I would emphasise that speculation until the MAIB finishes its investigation and publishes its report, is premature.
'Morning Tony...I really haven't got much idea of boats, my total
experience with them is navigating a canal boat through Marple locks, most exciting too. I should imagine it would be all the harder for the surviving parent if she learnt that it was down to human error, considering the loss of her husband and daughter and
life changing injuries to herself and little boy. Really shocking accident.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association (Mar '10) 4 min Mega Monster 17,284
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 5 min Proud To Be Trina 140,870
Word Association (Jun '10) 7 min Lumatrix 28,148
Things to do while waiting........ 8 min Satan 613
Last two letters into two new words... 9 min andet1987 145
Add a Word, Drop a Panty game 12 min andet1987 542
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 13 min wichita-rick 165,660
2015: "Make a Story/ 6 Words Only: 40 min Just Roxie 1,445
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 1 hr beatlesinafog 12,146
Rebel vs American Flag 1 hr dragoon70056 89