El's Kitchen

“Cool huh?”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#25248 May 2, 2013
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>Morning El,must admit I'm not particularly an animal lover as such even though we have two pointless hairy mosquito's,oops I meant the wife's cats,that do absolutely nothing but eat,sleep and one attacks my brother when he turns up,which I must admit I find funny,anyway the wife loves them.
Even though I'm not an animal lover I don't like cruelty to them,when you see people kicking their dogs and so on I just think they should be put in a den full of wolves and get a taste of their own medicine,as you can see I'm not really a people lover either,lol
Anyway a lovely day here on the coast so I'll make the most of it,my next job starts tomorrow,getting fed up with painting and so on,just want to win the lottery..
Aww Krypteia..

you said it .."the wife loves them"...

there is no way your wife would have those cats if she was not 100%
certain that you would accept them, and that, to me, means you respect her wishes and those of the cats. I call that being an animal lover in an indirect way!...:)

Anyway, you're alright from where I am sitting..

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#25249 May 2, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG El,
The content of above make one cold..
Imagining as you wrote your experiences down,
A little cat hiding under a bush having had it's teeth pulled,,
Jeezes, I'd hide out forever if I had that experience!
But, unlike the sweet animal I would know not
EVERYONE would do the likes..
I think, as I said many times, that
You have something special>
As proved with your involvement in animal care.
I personally don't think I'd have the heart to deal
with these cases,(probably shows a weakness in me)
But I'm prepared to admit it,
I give money often .. yes, and donations
Of food and toys to Animal shelters,
But 'being there' diving in 'hands on 'is
SO special and that's where YOU have it over me,
I'm willing to admit.
I must say I more agree with PFfff
When she says understands people who don't like
animals particularly, there ARE those who
may not 'like' animals but at the same time would
NEVER harm them in any way, and, I think it is not
a reflection on a person,
It certainly WOULD be a very different matter
we're these people seen to be cruel to
Animals. And, therein, lies the real difference.
Thanks Grace, and I know if the situation presented itself, you could do just as well as I have done, bear in mind it has been over a period of time. As it is, the help you give is priceless.

I might have mentioned this before Grace,(starting to repeat myself in my dotage) lol
but there were so many coincidences arose with the cat I found hiding behind the bush.

Many years ago I bred a British Black Shorthair name of Ali Baba.
Ali was true to the breed, tiny ears set wide apart, jet black coat through to the roots, wide chest, like a little Bulldog,
and copper eye colour, Roman nose. He had one 'fault' for a show cat, he had six white hairs on his chest...he didn't mind too much when I gently plucked them prior to a show! Ali lived to a good age,
he enjoyed his walks in the fields with me and had a normal life, neutered young.

Fast forward...five years or so ago, this black cat appears, very cowed, very afraid of contact. We put a flag down on the border and an old dog kennel, fed him twice daily, he stayed put but it was six weeks before he allowed any form of contact.
I brought him in the house.

Joe had one good eye, one damaged...his good eye was copper coloured.

He has tiny ears set wide apart, jet black coat through to the roots, wide chest, like a little Bulldog, and a Roman nose.
Joe also has six white hairs on his chest.

If I wasn't so realistic I would think he was a reincarnation of Ali Baba.

“Towards Spring”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#25250 May 2, 2013
Vee wrote:
El, happeeeeeee Wednesday evening and happy Thursday morning. I wanted to let you know, Deanna Durbin died. She was 91. She never lost her English accent, she was born there. What a dynamite singing sensation she was. If you have not seen any of her movies, see if you can locate some to watch. To all the other snack attackers, happeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Thursday.
THANKS a lot for this info, Vee

Wouldn't have know but for you..
Yes she WAS a one off..

And how she climbed so effortlessly to those
top notes.

'If you're looking on U Tube,
Look for

'HOME ' by DD.

'Amid pleasures & Palaces,
there's no place like home'

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#25251 May 2, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Bora Da PFfff...
couldn't help but notice your views on pet ownership....
have to say that in a Perfect World that would be ideal, but
doesn't always work out like that. I most certainly did not
choose to be responsible for all the cats I have in my care,
cats which were all, without exception, abused, malnourished
mistreated, some with broken limbs, you get the picture.
I could have ignored them...after all, I had two cats of my
own, and a darling Yorkshire Terrier dog...had quite a good life-style too, have always enjoyed holidays abroad....
but my conscience kicked in, poor wee cat sheltering under the
car with a broken femur, it took a long time to gain his confidence in people, no way was I going to pass him on to a shelter, or a new home...that was twelve years ago, today he is
still going strong, and is a beloved pet of ours.
A cat seeking refuge in the cold wet Winter, sheltering under a
bush in our garden...took six weeks to coax him to accept my
hand of friendship, turned out he hadn't a tooth in his head and
the Vet considered they had been pulled by man....
Again, no way I could rehome him, he is petrified of people other
than us. Big fat lump that he is now!...:)
The list goes on...
It's been hard slog, but there are times that they do bring us joy and laughter, but that's not what it is all about, it's about caring, and considering other than ourselves.
I have to add, I cannot abide people who dislike animals, I was
talking about forgiveness here the other week, and quoting the
Lord's Prayer, Grace had the guts to admit that she doesn't believe in that bit of it, lol, well, lil ole hyprocite me, I will never forgive a new neighbour at the time, who, upon 'meeting' the cat who had the broken femur, threatened to chase him should he venture into her (sadly neglected) garden. Afraid I am guilty of tunnel vision when it comes to animals.
Don't expect you to change your opinion, and think no less of you for voicing yours, just felt like voicing my own this beautiful morning....:)
ok, not sure What exactly You think my views on pets is, but I have a feeling u don't understand what I was saying.
so,
it doesn't define who they are as a person. whether they are a good person or not.. for instance how many times have u heard of people who have a pet and then find out later, they abused them, or used them in dog fights, or whatever.. totally different case, but how about the religious people such as priest, who we normally have great respect for, turn out to be perverts.
in other words, u have people in the world who put on a outfit sort of, a front, to show the world "what" they want others to "think" they are but really they are hiding the REAL person inside themselves. get my point now?
but, in the type job I have, one thing ive learned over the years, is u Definitely can't judge a book by its cover. had a lady come in for an apt. once, about my age, wearing scrufty looking jeans, black leather jacket, tattoos all over her arms and one actually on her cheek, I mean really like a man would do, bleach blond hair that looked like straw. im thinking wow, strange.. lol - turned out to be the nicest, kindest, and most responsible person ive ever had the "pleasure" of meeting.

I think by now, u see what im saying, maybe u agree with me, maybe u don't. but for the record, I do like pets, dogs mostly, had one for a lot of yrs in my life, only regret I have is we didn't have one when the kids were really small, but at that time I felt I had enough responsibility in my life, so in my mind, I did the right thing by not bringing a pet into the house, if u cant give it the same attention u can with ur own children, then better to wait until u can. IMO
that's why I don't have one right now, to many things going on right now so I wont do it. may never again, but that choice does Not define me as a animal hater or anything. IMO shows im a responsible person.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#25252 May 2, 2013
Vee wrote:
El, happeeeeeee Wednesday evening and happy Thursday morning. I wanted to let you know, Deanna Durbin died. She was 91. She never lost her English accent, she was born there. What a dynamite singing sensation she was. If you have not seen any of her movies, see if you can locate some to watch. To all the other snack attackers, happeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Thursday.
Vee...believe it or not, I have never seen Deanna Durbin perform
until today. Thanks to yourself. I chose Nessun Dorma, could not imagine anybody singing it as well as the late Pavarotti, but just out of curiosity. WELL! How beautiful was that, and how beautiful was she?! Grateful to you for making mention of it,
and all the sadder now I have learnt what a talent she had.
I hope she had a happy life.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#25253 May 2, 2013
PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
ok, not sure What exactly You think my views on pets is, but I have a feeling u don't understand what I was saying.
so,
it doesn't define who they are as a person. whether they are a good person or not.. for instance how many times have u heard of people who have a pet and then find out later, they abused them, or used them in dog fights, or whatever.. totally different case, but how about the religious people such as priest, who we normally have great respect for, turn out to be perverts.
in other words, u have people in the world who put on a outfit sort of, a front, to show the world "what" they want others to "think" they are but really they are hiding the REAL person inside themselves. get my point now?
but, in the type job I have, one thing ive learned over the years, is u Definitely can't judge a book by its cover. had a lady come in for an apt. once, about my age, wearing scrufty looking jeans, black leather jacket, tattoos all over her arms and one actually on her cheek, I mean really like a man would do, bleach blond hair that looked like straw. im thinking wow, strange.. lol - turned out to be the nicest, kindest, and most responsible person ive ever had the "pleasure" of meeting.
I think by now, u see what im saying, maybe u agree with me, maybe u don't. but for the record, I do like pets, dogs mostly, had one for a lot of yrs in my life, only regret I have is we didn't have one when the kids were really small, but at that time I felt I had enough responsibility in my life, so in my mind, I did the right thing by not bringing a pet into the house, if u cant give it the same attention u can with ur own children, then better to wait until u can. IMO
that's why I don't have one right now, to many things going on right now so I wont do it. may never again, but that choice does Not define me as a animal hater or anything. IMO shows im a responsible person.
Bloody hell PFfff....you don't need to explain to anyone that you are not an animal hater, I think it's pretty apparent to one and all that you love animals, that shows in the way you have spoken of your dog.
But I have to say that I understood you perfectly the first time, I can still manage to grasp what is said to me, lol.
I couldn't agree more that you are a responsible person..
and of course it is entirely up to yourself whether you have another dog or not, or had a pet when your children were small, that is the individuals choice.
Me, I firmly believe in all children having the pleasure and the responsibility of a pet...teaches them respect for animals, not saying they don't have that if they are not brought up with them tho'. Having to watch what I say I can see.
Now what I was saying was that, it wasn't the right time for me either, but, it was the right time for the cats I rescued. Everything can't go quite according to one's plans.
Best laid plans of mice and men.....
I was equally irresponsible as a child too.
We couldn't afford another mouth to feed, but when I saw a cat lying in the road, alive but injured, I carried it home and put it in a box in the ginnel, happens my brother's best school blazer was in the box, my mum went mad, lol.
You can't judge a book by it's cover you are quite right. A similar experience to that of yours, was, a friend asked me if I would rent a property we had to a girl he could recommend, along with her two small children. Turns out this young lady was a Rainbow Warrior...scarlet hair, the works.
On his recommendation I gladly offered her the home I had available to rent, my old home as it happens, I had a few reservations, but they were unfounded, there was an occasion I didn't pick up the rent for a month, she 'phoned me to remind me...and when she left, she left some money to cover a little damage accidentally done by her children.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#25254 May 2, 2013
So we are in agreement there, not to judge a book by it's cover.
Personally, I will stick with what I said earlier, if someone doesn't like animals, not if someone is afraid of them, just doesn't like them per se, then they are not for me.

“Towards Spring”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#25255 May 2, 2013
Lol El,
My elder son who is one of the most peaceful
Individuals you could ever meet, couldn't
argue with him if you tried lol!
has NO time for birds, in fact he has a firm dislike
for them !!!
All emanating from the time he saw
Hitchcock's classic movie> THE BIRDS!

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#25256 May 2, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
Lol El,
for them !!!
...:)
I'll be looking at them in a new light in future Grace, lol.
You'd die laughing.
I was just passing the time of the day to my neighbour in the
garden yesterday, the one who dislikes animals, lol, the birds
were on the bird table and I was just in the act of saying that
the few cats who were lolling around in the sun, don't bother when the birds descend on the table....when suddenly there was this weird noise, Mitzi ran up with something in her mouth.
Forgetting my knee, I streaked like lightening across the patio,
grabbed her by the scruff, and this little Vole dropped out of her
mouth completely unharmed.
I threw Mitzi in the house, rushing past the neighbor who was standing there with a look of disbelief on her face, that someone could go to any lengths at all to save a rodent, rushed back and grabbed a plant pot, put it close to the Vole who jumped into it, and put it on the bank near the stream.
I don't know who looked the most amazed, Mitzi or the neighbour.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#25257 May 2, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
Good Morning Everyone....
lovely day here, off to sit out with a cup of tea...
anyone care to join me..:)
Good morning El. What is for breakfast? Do you do pancakes? A cold snap here in Dallas. It will be a record breaking 39 tonight. I can't stand this global warming :)

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#25258 May 2, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
Lol El,
for them !!!
LOL Grace. The birds was pretty scarey :)

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#25259 May 2, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Good morning El. What is for breakfast? Do you do pancakes? A cold snap here in Dallas. It will be a record breaking 39 tonight. I can't stand this global warming :)
'Morning Denny...

pancakes a big favourite in this kitchen, always on the go!..:)

that's a big drop in the temperature, take care with that. Has
been lovely here today, sat out for ages, arms quite brown.

We have a new channel here, TLC, one of the progs last night was
'Cook Boss'...am absolutely hooked on it, the cakes they make in
that bakery are works of art. Have you seen this programme by
any chance....anyone?

later.....

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#25260 May 2, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>No one was tortured at Gitmo El. 3 were water boarded but that is not torture. We waterboard our own troops in training so they will know they will not die from it
Just so I'm clear, if the Dallas PD picks up someone they THINK committed a crime or has information the PD wants to obtain, water boarding the individual is permissible because its not torture?

Seriously?

I think herein lies a matter of opinion. You're retired military. You were perhaps trained and experienced weatherboarding yourself so you understood you were not going to die.
Causing one to believe they are going to die is mental torture and the legal definition of 'simple battery' can still be applied to water boarding.

Another case of just because we can doesn't mean we should.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#25261 May 2, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Grace so many who have been released and gone back to terrorism. They are prisoners of war. At least they have been given that title. They are not part of a military and fight in no uniform. Only one has been sent to Gitmo. They now die in the field as they fight. We don't capture high value leaders we put a missle from a drone on them and kill them
It's called recidivism Denny. Should we start water boarding convicts in county jails & state penitentiaries to prevent recidivism?

Since the US detains indefinitely people it SUSPECTS of being terrorists, then the US has no claim to piss & moan & cry foul when US citizens suspected of being spies or creating civil unrest are jailed indefintely in foreign countries.

Location hidden

#25262 May 2, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Bloody hell PFfff....you don't need to explain to anyone that you are not an animal hater, I think it's pretty apparent to one and all that you love animals, that shows in the way you have spoken of your dog.
But I have to say that I understood you perfectly the first time, I can still manage to grasp what is said to me, lol.
I couldn't agree more that you are a responsible person..
and of course it is entirely up to yourself whether you have another dog or not, or had a pet when your children were small, that is the individuals choice.
Me, I firmly believe in all children having the pleasure and the responsibility of a pet...teaches them respect for animals, not saying they don't have that if they are not brought up with them tho'. Having to watch what I say I can see.
Now what I was saying was that, it wasn't the right time for me either, but, it was the right time for the cats I rescued. Everything can't go quite according to one's plans.
Best laid plans of mice and men.....
I was equally irresponsible as a child too.
We couldn't afford another mouth to feed, but when I saw a cat lying in the road, alive but injured, I carried it home and put it in a box in the ginnel, happens my brother's best school blazer was in the box, my mum went mad, lol.
You can't judge a book by it's cover you are quite right. A similar experience to that of yours, was, a friend asked me if I would rent a property we had to a girl he could recommend, along with her two small children. Turns out this young lady was a Rainbow Warrior...scarlet hair, the works.
On his recommendation I gladly offered her the home I had available to rent, my old home as it happens, I had a few reservations, but they were unfounded, there was an occasion I didn't pick up the rent for a month, she 'phoned me to remind me...and when she left, she left some money to cover a little damage accidentally done by her children.
El!!!!!!!
isn't Bloody hell like cursing there??
tsk tsk.
:)

don't get insulted or annoyed with my post ok.. just talking, explaining myself since its sometimes not understood what people are saying here on topix. not a big deal..

Location hidden

#25263 May 2, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
So we are in agreement there, not to judge a book by it's cover.
Personally, I will stick with what I said earlier, if someone doesn't like animals, not if someone is afraid of them, just doesn't like them per se, then they are not for me.
El
this last sentence here, to me is a lil sad.
only because its not like im a animal lover really, I can take or leave them, and if u really mean this last sentence, u might be missing out on a lot of people that u might just find interesting and fun to be with. ya know.
like me! lol

everybody is different, I accept that and maybe u should to, would open up a whole new world - maybe?

don't be mad about what I say, u should know im a big mouth and say what I think.. cant help it, just me..
:))
Krypteia

Bilston, UK

#25264 May 2, 2013
PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
El!!!!!!!
tsk tsk.
don't get insulted or annoyed with my post ok.. just talking, explaining myself since its sometimes not understood what people are saying here on topix. not a big deal..
Evening babes,we actually say Bloody Hell in a lot of different ways from exclamation onwards,for example if a team got a goal which you were unprepared for you might say Bloody Hell how did they get that or Bloody Hell I"m stupid,and so on..
As for not understanding what people say,yep I confuse myself babes..

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#25265 May 2, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just so I'm clear, if the Dallas PD picks up someone they THINK committed a crime or has information the PD wants to obtain, water boarding the individual is permissible because its not torture?
Seriously?
I think herein lies a matter of opinion. You're retired military. You were perhaps trained and experienced weatherboarding yourself so you understood you were not going to die.
Causing one to believe they are going to die is mental torture and the legal definition of 'simple battery' can still be applied to water boarding.
Another case of just because we can doesn't mean we should.
The Dallas police can't do that. But if you are a foreign terrorist captured on the battle field and you have information you bet inhanced interrogation is fine. It consist of sleep deprivation being kept cold, naked and hungry. 3 people were waterboarded that led to killing Osama. Should Osama been capture or killed in cold blood. Since Obama came in office there has only been 1 person sent to Gitmo. They die in the field now

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#25266 May 2, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called recidivism Denny. Should we start water boarding convicts in county jails & state penitentiaries to prevent recidivism?
Since the US detains indefinitely people it SUSPECTS of being terrorists, then the US has no claim to piss & moan & cry foul when US citizens suspected of being spies or creating civil unrest are jailed indefintely in foreign countries.
Depends on what they were doing. If they were planting bombs and killing people then yes they will rot in a foreign prison. Enhanced interrogation is about getting information

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#25267 May 2, 2013
PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
El!!!!!!!
tsk tsk.
Bloody is a mild curse as is bugger :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 7 min wichita-rick 217,385
" HELP!" make America Great Again! 10 min Hoosier Hillbilly 2
Start a sentence in alphabetical order.. (Oct '16) 17 min Parden Pard 3,040
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 25 min Just Bev 23,788
hoosier hillbilly (May '13) 28 min Princess Hey 30
Memorial Day 32 min Info 64
Interesting Quotes (Jun '11) 50 min Phaerae 17,215
News Ben & Jerry's 'no-same-flavor' rule implemented... 51 min Frogface Kate 32
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 54 min Sublime1 4,109
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 9 hr harleyhoney 22,013