|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2013

Judged:

tony1003 wrote:
Morning all - seems an appropriate day to come clean about something ER has known for a while.
Some of you may recall I had to scrap a planned US trip to ski because of a persistent sore throat. That sore throat has now been diagnosed as cancer at the base of the tongue and on the tonsil. Fortunately, there are no secondaries.
Chemo starts tomorrow and I've been told with that and radiotherapy to put my life on hold for 6 months. Unfortunately, this has meant cancelling all work (including our pitch for the Glastonbury Festival - thank goodness they're refunding the fee of 4,500) and will mean selling one of the yachts from the sailing school. Don't care - health is much more important than money.
Please folks, no fuss. I have every intention of beating this, the only daunting part is the unknown of treatment, and that becomes clearer tomorrow.
we don't care if you're going to be staunch and steadfast about this ... we're gonna fuss if we want, OK???

A bad thing like this couldn't happen to a nicer guy .. so sorry to hear that you're going through this ... we're with you all the way Tony!!! Fight this thing!

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Poole, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2013

PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
Tony, im so sorry to hear this. if u dont mind, i'd like to make a suggestion, join a support group. while i understand some people find it hard to do, it sometimes helps talking to strangers going thru the same thing - someone who truly understands.
take care friend, u will be in my prayers..
:}
Thanks PFfff, but the friends and family I have around are a great support group in themselves, especially as four other members of the sailing club are battling the big C at this time - some of the jokes are positively ghoulish!

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Poole, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2013

Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry to hear this mate and have no doubt you will beat this intrusion in no time at all,thoughts with you mate..
Cheers K - boot-necks never lie down quietly!!

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Poole, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2013

GN, FC, Denny, ER, Franko and all on the thread - thanks for the positive vibes.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2013

Judged:

Teretta the DUH wrote:
Oh my...
'
My doctor just axxed me for a STOOL SAMPLE,, a URINE Sample,, and a Sperm Sample......
'
''''
'
'
I Jest sent him my undershorts????-----HUH??
'
GOODNESS..... heheheeh GARSH DARNIT!!
'
That cracked me up!!!

“another beer ? sure why not”

Level 7

Since: Aug 12

Bermuda Triangle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2013

franko wrote:
<quoted text>That cracked me up!!!
Hey Franko, good to see ya here. Im ditching a prop.. about to sign off here. yw if ya needed it

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

A little hole in the wall.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2013

zedme wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Franko, good to see ya here. Im ditching a prop.. about to sign off here. yw if ya needed it
Hey good to see you too Zed ...

“another beer ? sure why not”

Level 7

Since: Aug 12

Bermuda Triangle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

franko wrote:
<quoted text>Hey good to see you too Zed ...
U2

“Poppies. Tower of London”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

franko wrote:
<quoted text>when I think back to the days we used to recite the lord's prayer in school ... my feelings about "trespasses" brought up the images of calling names, staling my lunch money, getting into fights ... I certainly did not imagine mass killings when I thought of the word "trespasses'... in other words, I thought of the things normal average poeple might do to others on a daily basis, through our own carelessness or selfishness ... but i did not apply it to an overtly maliscious act meant to harm others.
Taken another way, I would never dream to commit the "trespsass " of killing another person ... so was the saying even meant to apply to that, or did it only apply to normal everyday trespasses, not the extreme ones?
Very interesting thoughts Franko, thankyou.

As you say 'did it apply to normal everyday trespasses'?

I would think not, as didn't He say 'Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do'...in regard to his torturors and eventually murderers?

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

franko wrote:
<quoted text>Sometimes I wonder if certain "ideals" are unrealistic. If everyone thought they would be forgiven, then what's to stop anyone and everyone from doing wrong?
In fact, dON'T THE EXTREMIST RELIGIOUS RADICALS, BELIeVE THAT THEY WIlL BE REWARDED WHEN THEY GO TO HEAVEN, for committing a car bombing or other such act?
I believe in most christian ideals, but not all.
Was that 19 year old coerced? We don't know yet. Most likely he was brainwashed since childhood. But, he did commit those acts and if he remains at large he will probably do more of the same....
Every religion has it's faults...look at the Roman Catholic religion for instance, a fellow can get drunk, beat his wife,
confess to his sins on Sunday after Mass, and all is forgiven.
Using that as an example, and not saying all RC's are wife beaters!
My own views about the 19 year old is that he was most definitely
radicalized by his own brother, in recent years only, how would you say NO to an older brother, who no doubt was a father figure by that time, his parents having returned to their homeland, and a brother who he admired greatly.
Who he may have been told he was responsible for his brother's death by running him over.
It's the survivors of this awful tragedy have my pity...without exception.

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's peacefully agree to differ here, El ..
and I must remember..
If 'Ali' my lab/collie dog ever bites anyone,El..
I'll tell the authorities
to>
'just cop on, she didn't mean it'
Anyway ..
more importantly....
Tony's news was upsetting.. tonight
but I'm sure he'll be ok...
Good Night El..
Good Night, all....
I don't feel very peaceful about it Grace, at all.

I'm asking myself what on earth are you going on about
comparing your dog 'Ali', the Lab/Collie cross, with a
world class sportsman?

For what it's worth, I would also give the dog the benefit of
the doubt, they are usually provoked imho, and after all,
biting is their defence mechanism. Unless they are rogue dogs,
in which case, or badly trained, different altogether.

But as for the football player, I think his team manager is showing a great deal of common sense in dealing with this unfortunate spontaneous gesture by arranging for a course of anger management, hopefully it won't quell his passion for the game.

This is a team I support, and it would be devastating if the star
player would be dismissed on account of this, when efforts to resolve his actions are in place.

“My dog Ali.”

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't feel very peaceful about it Grace, at all.
I'm asking myself what on earth are you going on about
comparing your dog 'Ali', the Lab/Collie cross, with a
world class sportsman?
For what it's worth, I would also give the dog the benefit of
the doubt, they are usually provoked imho, and after all,
biting is their defence mechanism. Unless they are rogue dogs,
in which case, or badly trained, different altogether.
But as for the football player, I think his team manager is showing a great deal of common sense in dealing with this unfortunate spontaneous gesture by arranging for a course of anger management, hopefully it won't quell his passion for the game.
This is a team I support, and it would be devastating if the star
player would be dismissed on account of this, when efforts to resolve his actions are in place.
To clear something up, El I wasn't referring
to only my dog - but dogs in general.
just using Ali as an example.
the strict law is..

if a dog bites, no matter how wonderful,
family pet, or prize dog.. or other, that dog is 'put down'..

If a man human bites, a different rule applies,
granted a human cannot be 'put down'
but in this case the next best thing
when a person behaves in such an uncivilised way,
might
be that .. he lose his job.

I didn't want this to turn into an argument,
as I said previously, El..
it is why I said we should peacefully agree to
differ.

It is just a matter of each one having
a different opinion...

I'm sorry you don't see it like that..

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with everything you say PFfff..except I do not regard the
surviving young man as not being able to cope with life...
I certainly don't condone what they did...just feel that he is the only one answerable and that it was out of character.
Hardly good timing on my part to show any sympathy, feelings still running high, and I never could understand people who forgave those
who took the lives of their loved ones during the periods we had the numerous attacks over here, but somehow I feel there was a world of difference in their premeditated attacks and the one in Boston.
IMO people who are able to "cope" will Never destroy another - in Any way, shape or form.
the world owes us nothing, but rather we owe it to ourselves to show that we belong.

sympathy and pity are only words that allow for excuses for someone who commits such violent, senseless acts. and in my view, they do not belong here.
but that being said, being able to forgive, every negative aspect in life, is something that one may have to do in order to find peace "within" himself.
and in my view, That is coping....

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks PFfff, but the friends and family I have around are a great support group in themselves, especially as four other members of the sailing club are battling the big C at this time - some of the jokes are positively ghoulish!
:)
cant ask for anything better than that.
and
its true, laughter is the BEST medicine.
so, u will be just fine
:))

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Flower-Child wrote:
<quoted text>
Dearest El ... I understand you took a fall in the garden ... hope you are on the mend yourself even as you take the time to check on others ... speaking of dog bites, I think, in Texas ---> the first dog bite is free, the second bite the dog is put down ... State Law ... unless it's changed since 2005 since I quit practicing ... Lots of things have changed since then ... I still take CLE (Continuing Legal Education) every couple of years to keep my license up to date but I don't recall any of that in discussion ... I stand corrected, if so ... Hope you and P are well and well wishes yall's way and the kittens way, too! Love always, FC <3 ...
'Morning Flower...
it's a beautiful day here, cool, but the sun is shining and
I have just thrown together a light picnic to take to the beach,
it will be a Bank Holiday in about a fortnight, that is when the
tourists descend, so thought we would enjoy it while it is quiet
for an hour. With a bit of luck, the rain will keep off, we had
a shower this morning.
I never cease to be surprised...didn't know you had studied Law,
well good for you for keeping up to date with it, oh and the law
on dog bites is pretty much the same here.
My knee is still a bit of a concern, really should get it x-rayed I know...darn cat jumped on it earlier in the Summer House, I will have to cut that cat's food intake down, he must weigh a ton, hahaha
Wishing for a lovely day for you and the pups....Love-n-Hugs..xx

“TEXAS ... SECEDE”

Since: Feb 08

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

tony1003 wrote:
GN, FC, Denny, ER, Franko and all on the thread - thanks for the positive vibes.
Good morning, Tony ... of course, it goes without saying ... and you are a gentleman ... still, positive healing vibes going out your way! The best of this day to you ... FC <3 ...

“TEXAS ... SECEDE”

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
:)
cant ask for anything better than that.
and
its true, laughter is the BEST medicine.
so, u will be just fine
:))
;) answer to Tony's post ...:) to you, P ---> FC <3 ...
Krypteia

Hove, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Afternoon El and all,a Happy St George's Day to you El,Tony ..

“TEXAS ... SECEDE”

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
'Morning Flower...
it's a beautiful day here, cool, but the sun is shining and
I have just thrown together a light picnic to take to the beach,
it will be a Bank Holiday in about a fortnight, that is when the
tourists descend, so thought we would enjoy it while it is quiet
for an hour. With a bit of luck, the rain will keep off, we had
a shower this morning.
I never cease to be surprised...didn't know you had studied Law,
well good for you for keeping up to date with it, oh and the law
on dog bites is pretty much the same here.
My knee is still a bit of a concern, really should get it x-rayed I know...darn cat jumped on it earlier in the Summer House, I will have to cut that cat's food intake down, he must weigh a ton, hahaha
Wishing for a lovely day for you and the pups....Love-n-Hugs..xx
Good morning across the pond, Lady El ... so happy you are getting out and the weather is cooperating in order so that you are able ... Yes, you simple must get the knee checked out ... Already had the left one replaced, titanium cobalt, steel derivative ... the neck has a plate and screws in it ... all kinds of bells and whistles go off at the airport and I am quickly summoned to some remote area of the airport, lol ... I pull out the two cards from the 2 surgeons to show where the hardware is located on my person, I get the eye rolls, they'd rather frisk me, lol
Yes, I went to school, it seemed like forever, working 40 hour week for 10 years at a very prominent Insurance Company who allowed me to go to school, encouraged it and paid for some of my schooling AND took 12-15 hours of college a semester ... so NO, I DID NOT stay home on the Saturday night to watch Saturday Night Live, LOL ... cracks me up when people ask me, "Don't you remember this or that of SNL?" ... I say, "No" ... they don't get it, lol ... Back then I had a photographic memory and was book smart ... these days, well ---> not so much, lol ... I think age has a little bit to do with that, one might say, I must say, ha! Anyway, civil/corporate/insurance industry was my area of expertise ... Not much to write home about ... it's 0700 here ... Finally, the pups and I got a whole night's worth of sleep since 4/11/13 ... Now, THAT is cause for celebration! How about a cup of tea ... I'll pray the knee gets better and hear of your trip to the beach at a later time ... Best wishes for a lovely day! Much Love ~ FC <3 ...

“TEXAS ... SECEDE”

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Wishing all across the pond and stateside a wonderful day ... May those in the path of the floods and treacherous weather be safe ... Peace ~ FC <3 ...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••