El's Kitchen
Krypteia

Brighton, UK

#24508 Mar 27, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>Grace, although I empathize with you, To be honest I had to chuckle at the play on words ... some of us do feel quite cynical when we hear of a culture where , as you pointed out, families put up picture in their home ... thereby glorify killing oneselve in order to kill others ... so Denny is absolutley right, actually ... in order to make someone believe that they go to heaven and have 40 virgins waiting for them ... that is a cultural attitude that is taught in the home as boys grow up .... it can't be instilled later in life ....
War and killing won't end on the earth until that sort of thinking changes....
It's 72 virgins mate,,,Denny the shortened version,lol

“Cool huh?”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#24509 Mar 27, 2013
Boomer7 wrote:
Movies, a fine subject.
I like action films for the most part and really don't mind the historicals. I can't watch anything from the first Gulf War as an active participant...just me. No interest in Django Unchained! Seen enough of those films...
42, a movie about Jackie Robinson is due out. Probably won't see that either. Now, if in fact William "Dummy" Hoy was a film, I am so there!!! That name is for ALL the baseball lovers IF they know who he was.
Lady El, I have been coaching BrightEyes on translations for UK English. There are times she wants to post and she reads it to me and I let her know that you can't say that because it would not be received properly. She giggles.
Good to see all is well.
Peace.
You have me intrigued now Boomer, as to what Brighteyes would post
without your guidance. lol As you will know, the English language varies considerably across the UK. I can barely understand for instance, people from Newcastle, Geordies as we call them. Love the accent but am hard pushed to catch what they are talking about. Here's a phrase I bet you won't understand, yet it's English.'I don't want owt for nowt'.....now that is Lancashire for I don't want anything for nothing.
Hoping BE will try me with some Ohio 'speak'...:)
Speaking of Baseball though, how I love the movie Field of Dreams...am ready to see that one again.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#24510 Mar 27, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi there El! You have to be sawing logs by now surrounded by curled up kittens unless they are nocturnal. The dogs have gotten accustomed to our schedule in that Daisy sleeps in the bed and won't get out til we do; Mickey she wakes up at 4am to go out otherwise they are with us all night.
My laundry would have been freeze dried ..... or frozen stiff!! Snow accumulated on the grass & car last night though melted as the day went on. Down state go the worst of it.
The problem with Hollywood versus documentaries is Hollywood takes a lot of creative license for dramatic affect whereas documentaries generally tell the story without embellishment for the sake of drama.
Hi Quincy...I couldn't allow a cat to sleep on my bed...:( I
have always had this fear of one lying on my face, apparently
that happened to me when I was a baby. I am not too mean with
them though, they can sleep on my bed during the day and they do,'cos my room catches the sun all day long.
Has been snowing all day today, everywhere looks delightful, I love it, but then haven't had to travel very far...back home, the last year I was there we were cut off from the rest of the country such was the snow there.
Totoally understand about Hollywood v Documentaries, both have their share of appeal...

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#24511 Mar 27, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>you are right .. and from what I heard many of the muslim terrorists think being a martyr is an honorable way to die.
Quoting now a Muslim on a recent tv channel....

'you celebrate Life...we celebrate Death'....

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#24512 Mar 27, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterboarding
I think it's a most deplorable practice
.. against everything deep4378
in me, personally..
but allowing for others and their differing
opinions here.
Denny, you 'n I must have something
special, we differ on many things
and yet can manage to remain cyber friends..
KUDOS to YOU ... well, I suppose > (and me](:
I agree with you Grace...deplorable.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#24513 Mar 27, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Grace the point is it works and does no real harm to the body. It is used on our own troops so they will know what it does and will help them to get through it if it is done to them. I just find it ironic that Obama protested against it so strongly and called it torture. So now instead of capture and interrogation they drop a bomb on them and kill them.There were only 3 people who were water boarded and it lead to killing UBL.
I understood it could cause brain damage and even death.

Denny, thanks so much for the numbers, will put them on
the LOTTO on Saturday. And OF COURSE you will have a fair
cut if I should win....:) I will keep you posted.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#24514 Mar 27, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Kids, they blow up so fast
I saw the humour in this...but then, I have a sick sense of humour, lol.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#24515 Mar 27, 2013
Flower-Child wrote:
Good afternoon, Lady El ... been awhile since I've been here it seems ... Been ever so busy what with pre-season baseball coming up and I've got FOX Sports S/W, MLB channels and a LOT of baseball on, finally picked back up with the reading while listening to the games, full-time back at the gym with a trainer and pushing to the limit ... Had a marathon shopping spree on Saturday which was fun and what can I say ... missed you! Hope you, P and the kittens have all been well ... Everything here has been just fine ... Enjoy your day, Lady! Much Love, FC <3 ...
Good Afternoon Flower...often think about you, great to see you here today. Yep, everything is hunky dory here....glad to hear
you are keeping on top of the game...Love to you...<3

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#24516 Mar 27, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
Gd afternoon, Denny, El, RM Quinn, Franko,
Flower Child, Vee and all who write here.
El,
So sorry to hear about the cat,
no matter how long one has a pet,
the end is never easy,
take comfort in the good life you
gave the sweet animal.
Snowing here too, though
NORTHERN IRELAND got it harder,
no little lambs gamboling & playing,
several new born ones had to be dug out of
snow drifts, frozen to death..
How cruel nature can be sometimes,
I found it harrowing.
Tony,
Hope you are ok.. and that you
got satisfactory news about your 'throat'
problem.
Vee, to let you know
I'm thinking of you these difficult day 'for you'.
Appreciate your kind words Grace. Thank you.

Yes, the situation with the weather is appalling in
Northern Ireland, as I watched the lambs frolicking yesterday,
it crossed my mind how lucky we are here in comparison to the
farms in NI...thousands of sheep and cattle have died, and
so many homes still without power. Devastating situation
Grace, harrowing indeed.

How ironic that Sinn Fein should take in the British Army to
help out! What better time!....:)
Krypteia

Brighton, UK

#24517 Mar 27, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
You have me intrigued now Boomer, as to what Brighteyes would post
without your guidance. lol As you will know, the English language varies considerably across the UK. I can barely understand for instance, people from Newcastle, Geordies as we call them. Love the accent but am hard pushed to catch what they are talking about. Here's a phrase I bet you won't understand, yet it's English.'I don't want owt for nowt'.....now that is Lancashire for I don't want anything for nothing.
Hoping BE will try me with some Ohio 'speak'...:)
Speaking of Baseball though, how I love the movie Field of Dreams...am ready to see that one again.
You and me both El,I wonder if they're speaking English at all in Newcastle,lol

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#24518 Mar 27, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sorry to hear the news about your cat ...but it is something we pet owners must face, given the shorter lifespan of our pets. I am sure he was a delight to have in your life and 14 years is still a long time.
Our clocks were changed about 2 weeks ago ... I thought the world did it all on the same day???
Thanks Franko. But I am well aware of that, in fact
my philosophy is 'if you are big enough to have a pet, then you must be big enough to know when it is time to let them go'.

Tom was a wee kitten when he tried to fling himself through my kitchen window 14 years ago, attracted by the smell of food cooking. Never been a moment's trouble..we will miss his presence
and also the three cats we lost in similar circumstances this last twelve months. Doesn't get any easier.

“Cool huh?”

Location hidden

#24519 Mar 27, 2013
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>You and me both El,I wonder if they're speaking English at all in Newcastle,lol
Hi Krypteia...we must have posted about the same time.
Eh pet...that's all I can understand speaking with a Geordie,
and as for Glaswegians, I'm lost.
Did you watch the match last night? Was that a completely
different team came on in the second half?

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#24520 Mar 27, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>Grace, although I empathize with you, To be honest I had to chuckle at the play on words ... some of us do feel quite cynical when we hear of a culture where , as you pointed out, families put up picture in their home ... thereby glorify killing oneselve in order to kill others ... so Denny is absolutley right, actually ... in order to make someone believe that they go to heaven and have 40 virgins waiting for them ... that is a cultural attitude that is taught in the home as boys grow up .... it can't be instilled later in life ....
War and killing won't end on the earth until that sort of thinking changes....
As Golda said. We won't have peace until they love their children more than they hate us :(

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#24521 Mar 27, 2013
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>It's 72 virgins mate,,,Denny the shortened version,lol
Don't you wish when they met Allah they found out she was a woman and they were part of the 72 virgins until big Abdul go a hold of them :)

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#24522 Mar 27, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw the humour in this...but then, I have a sick sense of humour, lol.
Glad you enjoyed the bad joke. Sometimes all you can do is laugh. Hard to believe people would blow their self up to kill innocent people.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#24523 Mar 27, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Krypteia...we must have posted about the same time.
Eh pet...that's all I can understand speaking with a Geordie,
and as for Glaswegians, I'm lost.
Did you watch the match last night? Was that a completely
different team came on in the second half?
There was a show with people from Texas and it had captions so you knew what he said :)

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#24524 Mar 27, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Franko. But I am well aware of that, in fact
my philosophy is 'if you are big enough to have a pet, then you must be big enough to know when it is time to let them go'.
Tom was a wee kitten when he tried to fling himself through my kitchen window 14 years ago, attracted by the smell of food cooking. Never been a moment's trouble..we will miss his presence
and also the three cats we lost in similar circumstances this last twelve months. Doesn't get any easier.
El
sorry to hear ur sad news.
its a really hard decision to make, especially when u didnt expect to have to make it. i remember it well.. over a year and i still think about my dog and yeah still fill up with tears over the lil sh*t. lol

seriously, its hard, like a family member.. only with hair.

well maybe not, my ol man has a hairy chest. lol lol

:)
u know what i mean...

HOPE i made ya laugh.
:))

Level 3

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#24525 Mar 27, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
Good Day to Everyone here..beautiful day as I speak, big white flakes falling down out of a sunny sky.
Yesterday was a difficult one, not to bring too much doom and gloom, but it was the end of the road
for a beloved cat we have had for 14 years...he had been diagnosed with kidney failure only a short time before, but he deteriorated fast...so yesterday we made the decision to have him euthanised. A nicer, more gentle, cat you could not wish to meet. Am only too relieved he is now out of his suffering. His pal Sandy was very low last night, they all miss him.
I had to smile on the journey back from the Vets...
we pass a field with a hillock in the centre, and about 30 lambs were playing chase, having a whale of a time. Always nice to see.
Who would believe that Summertime begins at weekend...the clocks go forward one hour here on Sunday..meanwhile it is like Winter never left.
Hope everybody is well and had a good week so far.
I am so sorry to hear about your baby Dear Lady El. I am sure you gave him a wonderful life.
Lots of love to you!

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#24526 Mar 27, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Appreciate your kind words Grace. Thank you.
Yes, the situation with the weather is appalling in
Northern Ireland, as I watched the lambs frolicking yesterday,
it crossed my mind how lucky we are here in comparison to the
farms in NI...thousands of sheep and cattle have died, and
so many homes still without power. Devastating situation
Grace, harrowing indeed.
How ironic that Sinn Fein should take in the British Army to
help out! What better time!....:)
UP to now I had no idea there was such a situation in Northern Ireland . I guess the news about the local weather issues takes precedence and we often don't hear about other parts of the world.

I'm glad you mentioned about the army coming in ....

I think it could be a sign of better tings to come for the UK when assistance in times of need comes from the rest of the UK .... this is how to show what unity is all about and how if can benefit all.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#24527 Mar 28, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Glad you enjoyed the bad joke. Sometimes all you can do is laugh. Hard to believe people would blow their self up to kill innocent people.
Didn't the Japanese kamikazes do it in WWII?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
True False Game (Jun '11) 3 min SweLL GirL 14,349
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 18 min tiger_-_dad 149,822
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 22 min Sharlene45 213,384
News Teens wearing leggings barred from United fligh... 25 min 07 Mustang 20
Stupid things to ponder ... (Feb '08) 31 min Blah Blah Blah 6,910
A to Z songs by title or group! 50 min DarkSoul___ 1,268
Let's play "follow the word" (Jun '08) 53 min -Papa-Smurf- 49,144
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 1 hr Laura B S 21,519
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 2 hr Taylor 3,586
Memorable Movie Scenes. 2 hr I Remember Now 121