I too took what you said as joking...:)

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Since: Jun 06

Huntingdon, UK

#24280 Mar 20, 2013
Brighteyes9 wrote:
<quoted text>
My beautiful Lady El,
It sounds like you are on the mend :) Speaking of tulips....we have a conservatory here that has botanical gardens outside that the plant tulip bulbs every year and once they are done blooming they will take names of people that would like to help dig them out and then they can keep what ever they pulled out for their own gardens. It's amazing! It was about 15 years ago a friend of mine asked me if I wanted to go there and dig through the huge mounds of tulips they were throwing out. Yes, I did say throwing out! They would dig them up with a back hoe and place in piles to be tossed. People were upset so they came up with the idea of a tulip dig. It's so wonderful because you can meet new people. I will pair up with some of the younger crowd that really wants to dig and I will pull the tulips out of the ground to place in all of our boxes. A win win for all who participate. But of course the rose bushes are fine....they are taken care of with lots of love!
Thank you for continuing the play in the kitchen. I would tip my hand in it but would probably mess it up and then it would really be a giggle! LOL
Have a wonderful day Lady El and please don't over do it.
Lots of Love!
Really heartwarming to hear of the efforts made into giving those
tulips a second chance of life. Plus, the beauty of it is, you don't know what you will see until they flower, really delightful story and thanks for sharing dear Brighteyes.
Coming up to my bedtime shortly, this is where my mind goes blank, lol, so I will just say Good Night and God Bless.
Love and Peace always.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#24281 Mar 20, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
Johnson not Jackson :)
Jackson was also brought forth for impeachment

but .... a big but...

The House agreed to the articles of impeachment on March 2, 1868. The trial began three days later in the Senate, with Supreme Court Chief Justice Salmon P. Chase presiding. Trial concluded on May 26 with Johnson's acquittal, the votes for conviction being one less than the required two-thirds tally.

In 1887, the Tenure of Office Act was repealed by Congress, and subsequent rulings by the United States Supreme Court seemed to support Johnson's position that he was entitled to fire Stanton without Congressional approval. The Supreme Court's ruling on a similar piece of later legislation in the 1926 Myers v. United States affirmed the ability of the president to remove a postmaster without Congressional approval, and stated in its majority opinion "that the Tenure of Office Act of 1867...was invalid"

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Since: Jun 06

Huntingdon, UK

#24282 Mar 20, 2013
Coffee for those who want it....help yourself
to the choc muffins I made earlier. lol

I will just say Good Night to All here.....

Quincy, Brighteyes, PFfff, Denny, Tony,
Sir Tally, Boomer and Franko...

I pray I haven't left anybody out...:)
Am away for the day tomorrow, see you Friday
I hope.

Level 3

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#24283 Mar 20, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Dame Judi turns around from taking a tray of chocolate muffins from the cooker....
'Why, if it isn't Felicity Kendal, how lovely to see you my dear'
Brighteyes looks puzzled....then remembers Felicity Kendal starring in The Good Life....loved you in The Good Life Judi remarks, we need somebody with your love of plants and your green fingers around here...she was about to add 'and your delightful persona' but thought that Brighteyes might be a bit taken aback that coming from a woman...
as they spoke a rather handsome gent came strolling into the kitchen....
as the Ladies gently look at the new stranger Lady El replies, "welcome to the kitchen". With a very deep and strong voice the stranger says, "Thank you and good morn to all". "Good morn Ladies and Gents". Is that scones that are smelling so wonderful? Why yes it is. As Lady El stands in the center of the kitchen she is wondering who this gent is that looks a lot like Samuel L. Jackson but yet she does not know what his proper given name is...The stranger replies, allow me to introduce myself........

Level 3

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#24284 Mar 20, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Really heartwarming to hear of the efforts made into giving those
tulips a second chance of life. Plus, the beauty of it is, you don't know what you will see until they flower, really delightful story and thanks for sharing dear Brighteyes.
Coming up to my bedtime shortly, this is where my mind goes blank, lol, so I will just say Good Night and God Bless.
Love and Peace always.
Good Morning Lady El. I do agree that the wonderful part of it all is the not knowing what you are going to get. The different colors are really amazing. The ones that were so precious this year, the peony tulips. Boomer loves Peonies so it was wonderful to have them early in the spring and then the real peonies a month later. My favorite is the hyacinth and our magnolia trees. The smell alone is wonderful. I hope you have a beautiful day and may the sun shine upon you.
Much love to you today and always my dear friend.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#24285 Mar 20, 2013
tallyho wrote:
you have the same exact right as
ARTHUR ANDERSON...
OH if only that was true. I am like most people, we believe that big business and other people with money and power can get away with things most of us cannot.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24286 Mar 20, 2013
Brighteyes9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Quinn my friend. I know that Boomer was talking tongue and cheek. We both are aware that this is a friendly and open environment to discuss anything that comes to mind. No one ever said that they have a problem with you and no need to be on the defense here. Looks to me like he was doing his best to make light of things. No worries Quinn. We are all friends here.
Peace as always Dear Quinn.
the hallmark of this kitchen has always been that people can voice their widley varying opinoins, often totally opposing each other .. but we always show respect and I believe we can remain freinds despite our difference ... just as it should be between in the RW.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#24287 Mar 20, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>OH if only that was true. I am like most people, we believe that big business and other people with money and power can get away with things most of us cannot.
you should have screamed OJ got away , Anderson got lucky his rights were violated ...
big diff...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24288 Mar 20, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
'Morning Franko...
to let you know your thoughtful post was partially instrumental
in me being 'sensible' and mosying down to the hospital.
It's a new one which has been built in the hills, so it was a real
treat on Sunday to go up there...we have been dying to see the place, if you will pardon the pun.
They do have those BP machines available for the general public,
it's something I have considered having, my brother has one,not a bad idea at that.
Sorry to leave it so long in replying, I have been rushed off my foot! LOL!
Really? Well that make e feel good knowing I helped you out.

That cracked me up about the pub LOL!!!

I wasn't talking about one for you to own at home, although that option is also worth considering. Over here the drugstores have a machine sitting there, you sit down, taking a moment from your shopping, and take a reading right there. Very convenient (I have found it's worth taking two readings because the first one is almost always high because you've been walking around)... some of the drugstores even have an account you can log your readings with so you can track your history.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24289 Mar 20, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>I bet there is a run on the banks in Spain and Italy :) Pure theft
are they talking about doing that in those countries also?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24290 Mar 20, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
I'll put in for a double on the monster from Frankenstein if no one else has bagged it yet!
no I got dibbs on that!!!

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24291 Mar 20, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
I made a humouress (or humourless whichever way you look at it) remark about football players yesterday, which was tastless really.
A heartwarming story in the press this morning
concerning a player who not only plays for his tea...Barnet...but manages as well. Without pay.
The other night he and his team were travelling along in their luxury coach, going home after a match, in which they had been defeated and faced relegation, when he spotted a group of Barnet fans huddled at the side of the road, their coach had broken down, they had a long journey home.
The player of whom I speak, upon reaching a service station, requested his team to dismount, and asked the driver to go back to where the fans were waiting in the freezing cold, and bring them back to the service station, where he bought them all coffee and they met the team, who gave them of their time, posing for pics, etc., then he arranged transport for them all to reach their homes safely, over 200 miles away.
He said it was the least he could do for the fans.
Well done EDGAR DAVIDS.
awesome story El....it's great to hear when people have such heart.

As to the other comment .. it was honest and true ... at least some of the time ... Rugby is a far rougher sport than football ... and the diving is one of the things that American audiences dislike and one of the reasons some people find fault with such a great sport (an opinion anywhere but English Speaking north America)...

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#24292 Mar 20, 2013
seems to me that a game of WALL was prelude to Rugby and was outlawed because of the violence ??????????

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Poole, UK

#24293 Mar 20, 2013
Boomer7 wrote:
Tony, would that be the original Frankenstein OR the Mel Brooks version?
Too funny!
However, in the original, the "monster" was quoted as saying, "...friends, good!"
Would have to be the original - have always been a fan of William Henry Pratt. He was a pretty good cricketer too.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24294 Mar 20, 2013
PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
yes i agree Franko
i Was joking...
so is that you in front of the cruise ship?

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Poole, UK

#24295 Mar 20, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>wasn't Nixon impeached?
I geuss whether Bush (or any president) "Hurt any citizens" is a matter of opinion ... you can find people who will say that about any president that ever held the office.
He would have been, but he jumped before he was pushed so to speak by resigning and then received a full pardon (from Gerald Ford, if memory serves me). I can still remember staying up until the small hours to watch his resignation speech: don't know why I bothered - reckon the best phrase to sum up what he said was "economical with the truth"!

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24296 Mar 20, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
funny the president are gone , but the USA still stands
FACT: Presidents Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton were impeached by the U.S. House of Representatives, but acquitted by the Senate. Richard Nixon resigned.....FACT
I was in my early to mid teens at the time, so I apologize, my memory is a bit faded ... I do remember all the talk of impeachment in the papers ....and I guess that is what stuck in my memory.

I looked up the summation in WIkipedia, here is the excerpt :

"In light of his loss of political support and the near-certainty of impeachment, Nixon resigned the office of the presidency on August 9, 1974,"

I do think Nixon was wise to resign rather than go through the whole impeachment process.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24297 Mar 20, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
because that is the system . of which Canada has the same , it is based upon English common law which was based upon Roman law ..hence the Latin usage
law: within the letter of the law , other words the four corners of the ACT
to be honest this is one of the aspects of the law I truly disagree with. ANd so do many others. A technicality should perhaps have some weight on the proceedings, but I disagree that a technicality prevents justice from being done.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Poole, UK

#24298 Mar 20, 2013
tallyho wrote:
seems to me that a game of WALL was prelude to Rugby and was outlawed because of the violence ??????????
The Wall game was played at Eton, whilst rugby is said to have originated at Rugby School (in Warwickshire) around 1823 when William Webb Ellis is reputed to have picked up the ball and run. Although the story is probably apocryphal, the Rugby World Cup Trophy is named the Webb Ellis Trophy. so it has some credence.

Football (to use the generic term - back then there was no differentiation between soccer and rugby) was banned by a number of monarchs down the ages because of its violent nature.

To be honest, no one is sure exactly where rugby originated - personally, I like the Webb Ellis story, but as an historian have to accept it is probably more myth than reality.

Here's a link: http://www.rugbyfootballhistory.com/originsof...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A To Z Of Movies (Sep '12) 3 min Simply_Red 4,313
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 min Hidingfromyou 131,806
Things that fit in a matchbox (Oct '08) 6 min quilterqueen 12,886
Favorite Oldies Songs (Jun '10) 7 min Life after Love 18,668
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 13 min veteran of war god 25,504
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 13 min Simply_Red 152,350
Is it possible to....... 21 min Word by Word 516
"OLD SAYINGS" - - - Feel free to post them here... 32 min Independent1 53
True or False Game 1 hr Old Sam 1,242
Merry Christmas Topix, Thanks For,...? 2 hr -Lea- 70