“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#24285 Mar 20, 2013
tallyho wrote:
you have the same exact right as
ARTHUR ANDERSON...
OH if only that was true. I am like most people, we believe that big business and other people with money and power can get away with things most of us cannot.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24286 Mar 20, 2013
Brighteyes9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Quinn my friend. I know that Boomer was talking tongue and cheek. We both are aware that this is a friendly and open environment to discuss anything that comes to mind. No one ever said that they have a problem with you and no need to be on the defense here. Looks to me like he was doing his best to make light of things. No worries Quinn. We are all friends here.
Peace as always Dear Quinn.
the hallmark of this kitchen has always been that people can voice their widley varying opinoins, often totally opposing each other .. but we always show respect and I believe we can remain freinds despite our difference ... just as it should be between in the RW.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#24287 Mar 20, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>OH if only that was true. I am like most people, we believe that big business and other people with money and power can get away with things most of us cannot.
you should have screamed OJ got away , Anderson got lucky his rights were violated ...
big diff...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24288 Mar 20, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
'Morning Franko...
to let you know your thoughtful post was partially instrumental
in me being 'sensible' and mosying down to the hospital.
It's a new one which has been built in the hills, so it was a real
treat on Sunday to go up there...we have been dying to see the place, if you will pardon the pun.
They do have those BP machines available for the general public,
it's something I have considered having, my brother has one,not a bad idea at that.
Sorry to leave it so long in replying, I have been rushed off my foot! LOL!
Really? Well that make e feel good knowing I helped you out.

That cracked me up about the pub LOL!!!

I wasn't talking about one for you to own at home, although that option is also worth considering. Over here the drugstores have a machine sitting there, you sit down, taking a moment from your shopping, and take a reading right there. Very convenient (I have found it's worth taking two readings because the first one is almost always high because you've been walking around)... some of the drugstores even have an account you can log your readings with so you can track your history.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24289 Mar 20, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>I bet there is a run on the banks in Spain and Italy :) Pure theft
are they talking about doing that in those countries also?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24290 Mar 20, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
I'll put in for a double on the monster from Frankenstein if no one else has bagged it yet!
no I got dibbs on that!!!

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24291 Mar 20, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
I made a humouress (or humourless whichever way you look at it) remark about football players yesterday, which was tastless really.
A heartwarming story in the press this morning
concerning a player who not only plays for his tea...Barnet...but manages as well. Without pay.
The other night he and his team were travelling along in their luxury coach, going home after a match, in which they had been defeated and faced relegation, when he spotted a group of Barnet fans huddled at the side of the road, their coach had broken down, they had a long journey home.
The player of whom I speak, upon reaching a service station, requested his team to dismount, and asked the driver to go back to where the fans were waiting in the freezing cold, and bring them back to the service station, where he bought them all coffee and they met the team, who gave them of their time, posing for pics, etc., then he arranged transport for them all to reach their homes safely, over 200 miles away.
He said it was the least he could do for the fans.
Well done EDGAR DAVIDS.
awesome story El....it's great to hear when people have such heart.

As to the other comment .. it was honest and true ... at least some of the time ... Rugby is a far rougher sport than football ... and the diving is one of the things that American audiences dislike and one of the reasons some people find fault with such a great sport (an opinion anywhere but English Speaking north America)...

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#24292 Mar 20, 2013
seems to me that a game of WALL was prelude to Rugby and was outlawed because of the violence ??????????

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Bath, UK

#24293 Mar 20, 2013
Boomer7 wrote:
Tony, would that be the original Frankenstein OR the Mel Brooks version?
Too funny!
However, in the original, the "monster" was quoted as saying, "...friends, good!"
Would have to be the original - have always been a fan of William Henry Pratt. He was a pretty good cricketer too.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24294 Mar 20, 2013
PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
yes i agree Franko
i Was joking...
so is that you in front of the cruise ship?

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Bath, UK

#24295 Mar 20, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>wasn't Nixon impeached?
I geuss whether Bush (or any president) "Hurt any citizens" is a matter of opinion ... you can find people who will say that about any president that ever held the office.
He would have been, but he jumped before he was pushed so to speak by resigning and then received a full pardon (from Gerald Ford, if memory serves me). I can still remember staying up until the small hours to watch his resignation speech: don't know why I bothered - reckon the best phrase to sum up what he said was "economical with the truth"!

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24296 Mar 20, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
funny the president are gone , but the USA still stands
FACT: Presidents Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton were impeached by the U.S. House of Representatives, but acquitted by the Senate. Richard Nixon resigned.....FACT
I was in my early to mid teens at the time, so I apologize, my memory is a bit faded ... I do remember all the talk of impeachment in the papers ....and I guess that is what stuck in my memory.

I looked up the summation in WIkipedia, here is the excerpt :

"In light of his loss of political support and the near-certainty of impeachment, Nixon resigned the office of the presidency on August 9, 1974,"

I do think Nixon was wise to resign rather than go through the whole impeachment process.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24297 Mar 20, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
because that is the system . of which Canada has the same , it is based upon English common law which was based upon Roman law ..hence the Latin usage
law: within the letter of the law , other words the four corners of the ACT
to be honest this is one of the aspects of the law I truly disagree with. ANd so do many others. A technicality should perhaps have some weight on the proceedings, but I disagree that a technicality prevents justice from being done.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Bath, UK

#24298 Mar 20, 2013
tallyho wrote:
seems to me that a game of WALL was prelude to Rugby and was outlawed because of the violence ??????????
The Wall game was played at Eton, whilst rugby is said to have originated at Rugby School (in Warwickshire) around 1823 when William Webb Ellis is reputed to have picked up the ball and run. Although the story is probably apocryphal, the Rugby World Cup Trophy is named the Webb Ellis Trophy. so it has some credence.

Football (to use the generic term - back then there was no differentiation between soccer and rugby) was banned by a number of monarchs down the ages because of its violent nature.

To be honest, no one is sure exactly where rugby originated - personally, I like the Webb Ellis story, but as an historian have to accept it is probably more myth than reality.

Here's a link: http://www.rugbyfootballhistory.com/originsof...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24299 Mar 20, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
you should have screamed OJ got away , Anderson got lucky his rights were violated ...
big diff...
those are two out of thousands of examples.

“Hands across the sea”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#24300 Mar 21, 2013
Brighteyes9 wrote:
<quoted text>
as the Ladies gently look at the new stranger Lady El replies, "welcome to the kitchen". With a very deep and strong voice the stranger says, "Thank you and good morn to all". "Good morn Ladies and Gents". Is that scones that are smelling so wonderful? Why yes it is. As Lady El stands in the center of the kitchen she is wondering who this gent is that looks a lot like Samuel L. Jackson but yet she does not know what his proper given name is...The stranger replies, allow me to introduce myself........
hoping to finish the scones before the crowd arrived, Lady El (lol)
took out the last batch and put them on the counter to cool...when
a stranger to the kitchen wearing a distinctive beret, walks in,
with a cheery and polite Good Morning Ladies and Gents.
Thinking to herself, if I didn't know better I would think this is
Samuel L. Jackson gracing our kitchen...but priding herself on
being quick off the mark, and knowing the usual crowd by sight
there was only one person this could be...so as this cool stranger
introduced himself, they both said in the same breath...BOOMER!
Welcome to the kitchen Boomer, our good friend.....:)

“Towards Christmas.”

Level 8

‘

#24301 Mar 21, 2013
Brighteyes9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Awwwh! you got me Dear Grace! That was very beautiful and thank you so much.
Now mine.......for Els Kitchen and all my friends here.
My Wish for You
May the sun shine upon you,
to brighten your day.
May the stars guide you,
wherever you may go.
May the wind push you,
when you think you're at the end.
May the earth ground you,
to nurture your very soul.
May the Angel's protect you,
everyday of your life.
May the moon remind you,
that we are always connected.
May the rain fall upon you,
to cleanse your heavy heart.
May you always remember,
as long as there is you.....
there is me.
Thank you very kindly..
and your words here
fell so easily on the ear.

Hoping you're having a good 'run'
into Easter..

I love these days.

“Towards Christmas.”

Level 8

‘

#24302 Mar 21, 2013
A happy 'Good Morning'to ALL who write here...

AsI was saying,
I love the run into Easter
but the weather is acting up lol!

a promise of more snow!

El,
Two things..

Hope you have fully recovered after your 'trip up'

Thanks for video of dogs on trampoline,
so *very cute*

Here's a very obedient doggy!

this dog is very like our Ali.

Enjoy

Krypteia

Hove, UK

#24303 Mar 21, 2013
Good morning El and all,well what can I say out played by Wales but agree with Roundtree about the ref and the scrummage complete appalling decisions,think the game would have been different but still think Wales would have won,that said England football tomorrow lets see if these over paid baboons can look interested playing for their country for once..lol.
Looks like some heavy rain tomorrow for me a tony and heavy snow up north so keep a look out El..

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#24304 Mar 21, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I was in my early to mid teens at the time, so I apologize, my memory is a bit faded ... I do remember all the talk of impeachment in the papers ....and I guess that is what stuck in my memory.
I looked up the summation in WIkipedia, here is the excerpt :
"In light of his loss of political support and the near-certainty of impeachment, Nixon resigned the office of the presidency on August 9, 1974,"
I do think Nixon was wise to resign rather than go through the whole impeachment process.
Nixon wanted to leave a legacy ... he had good points bad points .... ALL ex-president/seated presidents/ future presidents do and will have ..

presidents have very little power in a sense , our system is designed not to agree but to cooperate
on mutual crisis

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 7 min Bezeer 22,159
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 9 min Aura Mytha 216,635
conversation using song lyrics (Aug '13) 22 min Camilla 2,521
Two words only please! (Aug '08) 30 min Mr_FX 40,838
Start a sentence in alphabetical order.. 33 min Mr_FX 1,574
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 53 min SweLL GirL 15,210
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 55 min SweLL GirL 5,317
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 1 hr Lucy the First 10,569
All Christmas Carols/Songs and Quotes.. 1 hr Emerald 49
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Lucy the First 206,934