El's Kitchen

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#24264 Mar 20, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>the truth is, I would grow bored if all anyone talked about was the weather and their pets (no offense to all you pet lovers, I have one too!). It is the fact that a variety of things come up, including word events and politics that keeps me coming back.
yes i agree Franko
i Was joking...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#24265 Mar 20, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>FDR really tried to stack the court by increasing the numbers on the court :)
the fact that it was attempted is evidence enough that it can be done ... if you try anything often enough you will achieve it sooner or later.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#24266 Mar 20, 2013
Brighteyes9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Awwwh! you got me Dear Grace! That was very beautiful and thank you so much.
Now mine.......for Els Kitchen and all my friends here.
My Wish for You
May the sun shine upon you,
to brighten your day.
May the stars guide you,
wherever you may go.
May the wind push you,
when you think you're at the end.
May the earth ground you,
to nurture your very soul.
May the Angel's protect you,
everyday of your life.
May the moon remind you,
that we are always connected.
May the rain fall upon you,
to cleanse your heavy heart.
May you always remember,
as long as there is you.....
there is me.
that was really beautiful
:)

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24267 Mar 20, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
to get clear the supreme court is lead by the Chief Justice ..........
in addition to the duties of the Associate Justices, the Chief Justice has the following additional duties:
The Chief Justice enters the courtroom first and casts the first vote when the justices deliberate. The Chief Justice's vote carries has no more influence than the votes of the Associate Justices.
If the Chief Justice votes with the majority in a case decided by the Supreme Court, he or she may choose to write the Court's opinion, or to assign the task to one of the Associate Justices.
The Chief Justice sits as the judge in impeachments of the President of the United States. Only two Chief Justices have ever served this roll: Chief Justices, Salmon P. Chase presided over the Senate trial of President Andrew Johnson in 1868, and the late William H. Rehnquist presided over the trial of President William Clinton in 1999.
The Chief Justice presides over the impeachment trial of the Vice President if the Vice President is serving as Acting President (a Senate rule, not provided for by the Constitution).
The Chief Justice swears in the President of the United States at inaugurations. This is a purely traditional role. According to law, any federal or state judge, even a notary-public, is empowered to administer oaths of office.
The Chief Justice serves as Chancellor of the Smithsonian Institution, and sits on the boards of the National Gallery of Art and the Hirshorn Museum.
The Chief Justice writes an annual report to Congress about the state of the federal court system.
Just like the Associate Justices, the Chief Justice of the United States is nominated by the President of the United States and must be confirmed by a majority vote of the U.S. Senate. Also like the Associate Justices, the Chief Justice serves until retirement, death or impeachment.
you really should forget Bush , he didn't hurt you
btw did you return your stimulus checks ???????
wasn't Nixon impeached?

I geuss whether Bush (or any president) "Hurt any citizens" is a matter of opinion ... you can find people who will say that about any president that ever held the office.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24268 Mar 20, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
called checks and balances very IMPORTANT part of this great system you seem to delight in bashing
each branch can and does overseer each other
sadly, no system is perfect

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24269 Mar 20, 2013
Boomer7 wrote:
Good evening/morning to all!
I have been reading postings and not posting much. Some of what I see is quite amusing and I share that with Brighteyes. We have really good belly laughs.
My point here is that between some, it is an episode of Upstairs/Downstairs, Downton Abbey, and of course Monty Python.
(Cut to corner in kitchen), Boomer_ I say Lady Quinn and Master Crane. Would you be so kind as to bury the hatchet in the garden?
Franko- Not in each others' head!
(Room erupts in laughter!)
Lady Quinn and Master Crane retire to the garden with their chat of American politics. Applause!
Franko- Has Gluteus Maximus stopped in lately?
My sincere apologies to the BBC, any and all that I may have offended, and for all of those I have not!
Spring has yet to be sprung in my head!
(Don't ask!)
Peace
LMAO!! How did you know I would say that about the hatchet?

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#24271 Mar 20, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>the fact that it was attempted is evidence enough that it can be done ... if you try anything often enough you will achieve it sooner or later.
the fact is that the system prevented it , that the system worked , not that FDR failed , and also never again will a US President serve more than 8 years

that is the fact....

Level 3

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#24272 Mar 20, 2013
PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
that was really beautiful
:)
Thank you and have a beautiful day!!!
Peace and love always.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#24273 Mar 20, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>sadly, no system is perfect
I will take 237 years over any ...any time

I love my country , I have been and seen how others work....

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#24274 Mar 20, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>wasn't Nixon impeached?
I geuss whether Bush (or any president) "Hurt any citizens" is a matter of opinion ... you can find people who will say that about any president that ever held the office.
funny the president are gone , but the USA still stands

FACT: Presidents Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton were impeached by the U.S. House of Representatives, but acquitted by the Senate. Richard Nixon resigned.....FACT

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#24275 Mar 20, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I remember reading that in the news at the time .. and I remember thinking "then do the trial over again, new jury, get it right" ... why allow those offenders to get off scott-free on a technicality?
because that is the system . of which Canada has the same , it is based upon English common law which was based upon Roman law ..hence the Latin usage

law: within the letter of the law , other words the four corners of the ACT

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#24276 Mar 20, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>wasn't Nixon impeached?
No Nixon was not impeached. Clinton and Jackson were impeached

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#24277 Mar 20, 2013
Johnson not Jackson :)

“Hands across the sea”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#24278 Mar 20, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>the truth is, I would grow bored if all anyone talked about was the weather and their pets (no offense to all you pet lovers, I have one too!). It is the fact that a variety of things come up, including word events and politics that keeps me coming back.
Pleasant as it is to talk about the weather and pets, and
you will find me doing so perhaps too much, lol, I agree
that there is so much more of interest to discuss as we
always did in the kitchen. I like a bit of fun as much as the
next person, but would hate to bury my head in the sand as to
what is happening in the world..and who better to discuss it with
that those on here, I mean it, we usually come to a satisfactory
understanding.

“Hands across the sea”

Location hidden

#24279 Mar 20, 2013
PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
yes i agree Franko
i Was joking...
I too took what you said as joking...:)

“Hands across the sea”

Location hidden

#24280 Mar 20, 2013
Brighteyes9 wrote:
<quoted text>
My beautiful Lady El,
It sounds like you are on the mend :) Speaking of tulips....we have a conservatory here that has botanical gardens outside that the plant tulip bulbs every year and once they are done blooming they will take names of people that would like to help dig them out and then they can keep what ever they pulled out for their own gardens. It's amazing! It was about 15 years ago a friend of mine asked me if I wanted to go there and dig through the huge mounds of tulips they were throwing out. Yes, I did say throwing out! They would dig them up with a back hoe and place in piles to be tossed. People were upset so they came up with the idea of a tulip dig. It's so wonderful because you can meet new people. I will pair up with some of the younger crowd that really wants to dig and I will pull the tulips out of the ground to place in all of our boxes. A win win for all who participate. But of course the rose bushes are fine....they are taken care of with lots of love!
Thank you for continuing the play in the kitchen. I would tip my hand in it but would probably mess it up and then it would really be a giggle! LOL
Have a wonderful day Lady El and please don't over do it.
Lots of Love!
Really heartwarming to hear of the efforts made into giving those
tulips a second chance of life. Plus, the beauty of it is, you don't know what you will see until they flower, really delightful story and thanks for sharing dear Brighteyes.
Coming up to my bedtime shortly, this is where my mind goes blank, lol, so I will just say Good Night and God Bless.
Love and Peace always.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#24281 Mar 20, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
Johnson not Jackson :)
Jackson was also brought forth for impeachment

but .... a big but...

The House agreed to the articles of impeachment on March 2, 1868. The trial began three days later in the Senate, with Supreme Court Chief Justice Salmon P. Chase presiding. Trial concluded on May 26 with Johnson's acquittal, the votes for conviction being one less than the required two-thirds tally.

In 1887, the Tenure of Office Act was repealed by Congress, and subsequent rulings by the United States Supreme Court seemed to support Johnson's position that he was entitled to fire Stanton without Congressional approval. The Supreme Court's ruling on a similar piece of later legislation in the 1926 Myers v. United States affirmed the ability of the president to remove a postmaster without Congressional approval, and stated in its majority opinion "that the Tenure of Office Act of 1867...was invalid"

“Hands across the sea”

Location hidden

#24282 Mar 20, 2013
Coffee for those who want it....help yourself
to the choc muffins I made earlier. lol

I will just say Good Night to All here.....

Quincy, Brighteyes, PFfff, Denny, Tony,
Sir Tally, Boomer and Franko...

I pray I haven't left anybody out...:)
Am away for the day tomorrow, see you Friday
I hope.

Level 3

Location hidden

#24283 Mar 20, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Dame Judi turns around from taking a tray of chocolate muffins from the cooker....
'Why, if it isn't Felicity Kendal, how lovely to see you my dear'
Brighteyes looks puzzled....then remembers Felicity Kendal starring in The Good Life....loved you in The Good Life Judi remarks, we need somebody with your love of plants and your green fingers around here...she was about to add 'and your delightful persona' but thought that Brighteyes might be a bit taken aback that coming from a woman...
as they spoke a rather handsome gent came strolling into the kitchen....
as the Ladies gently look at the new stranger Lady El replies, "welcome to the kitchen". With a very deep and strong voice the stranger says, "Thank you and good morn to all". "Good morn Ladies and Gents". Is that scones that are smelling so wonderful? Why yes it is. As Lady El stands in the center of the kitchen she is wondering who this gent is that looks a lot like Samuel L. Jackson but yet she does not know what his proper given name is...The stranger replies, allow me to introduce myself........

Level 3

Location hidden

#24284 Mar 20, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Really heartwarming to hear of the efforts made into giving those
tulips a second chance of life. Plus, the beauty of it is, you don't know what you will see until they flower, really delightful story and thanks for sharing dear Brighteyes.
Coming up to my bedtime shortly, this is where my mind goes blank, lol, so I will just say Good Night and God Bless.
Love and Peace always.
Good Morning Lady El. I do agree that the wonderful part of it all is the not knowing what you are going to get. The different colors are really amazing. The ones that were so precious this year, the peony tulips. Boomer loves Peonies so it was wonderful to have them early in the spring and then the real peonies a month later. My favorite is the hyacinth and our magnolia trees. The smell alone is wonderful. I hope you have a beautiful day and may the sun shine upon you.
Much love to you today and always my dear friend.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
4 Word Game (Use Same Letter) (Dec '14) 2 min Mila Beaujolais 1,375
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min It aint necessari... 216,620
News Trump's bizarre claim that the Clinton email co... 3 min WasteWater 978
News Weird substance discovered in new A 5 notes - a... 9 min greymouser 32
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 20 min T Bone 206,896
Tell me a TRUTH (Dec '12) 25 min greymouser 1,186
Answer a question with a question (Apr '15) 26 min Spotted Girl 3,773
News Church fined $12,000 for helping homeless new 29 min power 39
All Christmas Carols/Songs and Quotes.. 1 hr greymouser 43
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 3 hr honeymylove 10,571