I would second that...and thanks for your sweet compliment
earlier Sir Tally.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#24259 Mar 20, 2013
tallyho wrote:
this is why is was .....Court unanimously overturned ..........
United States Supreme Court case in which the Court unanimously overturned accounting firm Arthur Andersen's conviction of obstruction of justice in the fraudulent activities and subsequent collapse of the Enron corporation, on the basis that the jury instructions did not properly portray the law Andersen was charged with breaking. The decision was Pyrrhic {victory in which the victor's losses are as great}
I remember reading that in the news at the time .. and I remember thinking "then do the trial over again, new jury, get it right" ... why allow those offenders to get off scott-free on a technicality?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24260 Mar 20, 2013
PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
i personally like to talk about weather, i just know more about it - and besides thats more important to me. lol
so..... gonna get some snow today here.
lol
;)
Bora Da!
the truth is, I would grow bored if all anyone talked about was the weather and their pets (no offense to all you pet lovers, I have one too!). It is the fact that a variety of things come up, including word events and politics that keeps me coming back.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24261 Mar 20, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
That is kind of offensive, in a way
[unless I took you up wrong]!
that you imply..
folks who are not too interested
in politics are empty heads!
There is a *huge* variety of subjects
of interest between weather and politics!
I just grow *weary* of the same old
ding dong .. all the time,
not singling out THE KITCHEN, as such, only
for criticism..
I often grow weary [too] of late night TV
shows that quickly turn to politics
and proceed to bore the pants off an audience.
I suppose it's as well we are all
different.
Perhaps that's the bottom line.
I did not interpret it that way at all Grace ... I think she just meant that different things interest different people, and so depending on who you talk to, you get to know what specific people like to talk about. That's all I got out of it.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24262 Mar 20, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
I am taken back in time to when I was a new bride, 19 years of age and visiting my in-laws for Sunday lunch.
After preliminary greetings, the men and women were then segregated, the men sat discussing world affairs, the latest scores in sport etc., while we women congretated in the kitchen to assist in preparing the Sunday meal. To which I had been invited as a guest! lol
Conversation at the table was polite, then after lunch we ladies made our way to the kitchen while the gents took to the armchairs, had a smoke, perhaps a drink and resumed conversation which it appeared was far too much for feminine ears!
Putting the world to rights.
This was alien to me, who always believed in the Freedom of Speech....
and so it is to this day, we have the British Press under fire talking about censoring everything that they they are allowed to publish..this after 300 years of Free Press.
In this kitchen, Everybody is welcome to discuss what they will, anything and everything.
It has always been that way..otherwise, how will we learn?
Cheers.
yuo are a wise and intelligent woman EL ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24263 Mar 20, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Good morning Mighty Quinn. You are my favorite oerson to disagree with. I hate government even when Republicans are in charge. I just think conservatives are less harmful. Obama doesn't think we have a spending problem at all. We can't continue to borrow half of what we spend. You know where that will end for all of us. It is a disgrace that we have 40 million people on food stamps
Sadly Government is necesary, how else would a country run? It would be nice to figure out how to run a government without party politics, favoritism, nepotism, corruption, etc etc ...

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#24264 Mar 20, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>the truth is, I would grow bored if all anyone talked about was the weather and their pets (no offense to all you pet lovers, I have one too!). It is the fact that a variety of things come up, including word events and politics that keeps me coming back.
yes i agree Franko
i Was joking...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24265 Mar 20, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>FDR really tried to stack the court by increasing the numbers on the court :)
the fact that it was attempted is evidence enough that it can be done ... if you try anything often enough you will achieve it sooner or later.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#24266 Mar 20, 2013
Brighteyes9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Awwwh! you got me Dear Grace! That was very beautiful and thank you so much.
Now mine.......for Els Kitchen and all my friends here.
My Wish for You
May the sun shine upon you,
to brighten your day.
May the stars guide you,
wherever you may go.
May the wind push you,
when you think you're at the end.
May the earth ground you,
to nurture your very soul.
May the Angel's protect you,
everyday of your life.
May the moon remind you,
that we are always connected.
May the rain fall upon you,
to cleanse your heavy heart.
May you always remember,
as long as there is you.....
there is me.
that was really beautiful
:)

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24267 Mar 20, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
to get clear the supreme court is lead by the Chief Justice ..........
in addition to the duties of the Associate Justices, the Chief Justice has the following additional duties:
The Chief Justice enters the courtroom first and casts the first vote when the justices deliberate. The Chief Justice's vote carries has no more influence than the votes of the Associate Justices.
If the Chief Justice votes with the majority in a case decided by the Supreme Court, he or she may choose to write the Court's opinion, or to assign the task to one of the Associate Justices.
The Chief Justice sits as the judge in impeachments of the President of the United States. Only two Chief Justices have ever served this roll: Chief Justices, Salmon P. Chase presided over the Senate trial of President Andrew Johnson in 1868, and the late William H. Rehnquist presided over the trial of President William Clinton in 1999.
The Chief Justice presides over the impeachment trial of the Vice President if the Vice President is serving as Acting President (a Senate rule, not provided for by the Constitution).
The Chief Justice swears in the President of the United States at inaugurations. This is a purely traditional role. According to law, any federal or state judge, even a notary-public, is empowered to administer oaths of office.
The Chief Justice serves as Chancellor of the Smithsonian Institution, and sits on the boards of the National Gallery of Art and the Hirshorn Museum.
The Chief Justice writes an annual report to Congress about the state of the federal court system.
Just like the Associate Justices, the Chief Justice of the United States is nominated by the President of the United States and must be confirmed by a majority vote of the U.S. Senate. Also like the Associate Justices, the Chief Justice serves until retirement, death or impeachment.
you really should forget Bush , he didn't hurt you
btw did you return your stimulus checks ???????
wasn't Nixon impeached?

I geuss whether Bush (or any president) "Hurt any citizens" is a matter of opinion ... you can find people who will say that about any president that ever held the office.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24268 Mar 20, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
called checks and balances very IMPORTANT part of this great system you seem to delight in bashing
each branch can and does overseer each other
sadly, no system is perfect

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#24269 Mar 20, 2013
Boomer7 wrote:
Good evening/morning to all!
I have been reading postings and not posting much. Some of what I see is quite amusing and I share that with Brighteyes. We have really good belly laughs.
My point here is that between some, it is an episode of Upstairs/Downstairs, Downton Abbey, and of course Monty Python.
(Cut to corner in kitchen), Boomer_ I say Lady Quinn and Master Crane. Would you be so kind as to bury the hatchet in the garden?
Franko- Not in each others' head!
(Room erupts in laughter!)
Lady Quinn and Master Crane retire to the garden with their chat of American politics. Applause!
Franko- Has Gluteus Maximus stopped in lately?
My sincere apologies to the BBC, any and all that I may have offended, and for all of those I have not!
Spring has yet to be sprung in my head!
(Don't ask!)
Peace
LMAO!! How did you know I would say that about the hatchet?

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#24271 Mar 20, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>the fact that it was attempted is evidence enough that it can be done ... if you try anything often enough you will achieve it sooner or later.
the fact is that the system prevented it , that the system worked , not that FDR failed , and also never again will a US President serve more than 8 years

that is the fact....

Level 3

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#24272 Mar 20, 2013
PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
that was really beautiful
:)
Thank you and have a beautiful day!!!
Peace and love always.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#24273 Mar 20, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>sadly, no system is perfect
I will take 237 years over any ...any time

I love my country , I have been and seen how others work....

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#24274 Mar 20, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>wasn't Nixon impeached?
I geuss whether Bush (or any president) "Hurt any citizens" is a matter of opinion ... you can find people who will say that about any president that ever held the office.
funny the president are gone , but the USA still stands

FACT: Presidents Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton were impeached by the U.S. House of Representatives, but acquitted by the Senate. Richard Nixon resigned.....FACT

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#24275 Mar 20, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I remember reading that in the news at the time .. and I remember thinking "then do the trial over again, new jury, get it right" ... why allow those offenders to get off scott-free on a technicality?
because that is the system . of which Canada has the same , it is based upon English common law which was based upon Roman law ..hence the Latin usage

law: within the letter of the law , other words the four corners of the ACT

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#24276 Mar 20, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>wasn't Nixon impeached?
No Nixon was not impeached. Clinton and Jackson were impeached

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#24277 Mar 20, 2013
Johnson not Jackson :)

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Since: Jun 06

Huntingdon, UK

#24278 Mar 20, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>the truth is, I would grow bored if all anyone talked about was the weather and their pets (no offense to all you pet lovers, I have one too!). It is the fact that a variety of things come up, including word events and politics that keeps me coming back.
Pleasant as it is to talk about the weather and pets, and
you will find me doing so perhaps too much, lol, I agree
that there is so much more of interest to discuss as we
always did in the kitchen. I like a bit of fun as much as the
next person, but would hate to bury my head in the sand as to
what is happening in the world..and who better to discuss it with
that those on here, I mean it, we usually come to a satisfactory
understanding.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 8 min whatimeisit 40,751
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 16 min Hoosier Hillbilly 7,614
raaxeeye77 22 min Amiir 2
International Space Station 25 min Hoosier Hillbilly 1
Word Association (Jun '10) 30 min Spirit67_ 26,385
OFFBEAT.keepAword.DropAword.2011edition (Oct '11) 31 min Spirit67_ 17,949
Only Three Word (Nov '09) 32 min Spirit67_ 11,641
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 hr Blitzking 133,975
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr _hellbilly_ 152,773
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 3 hr Just TLC 3,000
Post "any three words" (Sep '12) 5 hr andet1987 1,127
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 11 hr BLOODY__FATALITY 25,838
More from around the web