Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>What a pleasant place to discuss our views. I never take anything personally and I value everyone's view point. Quinn is from a solid Democrat state and I am from a solid Republican state :)
Where else can you get a decent breakfast/lunch whatever,
and have a gold old chat...not just about politics, latest
movies, whatever comes into mind.
I did realise that Denny, regarding the Dems and Republicans.
Don't quite understand it, but do understand they are not
in unison.

“Lazy Hazy Days of Summer”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

do forgive my typos this morning please.

“Mid Summer Days”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

eleanorigby wrote:
do forgive my typos this morning please.
LOL

You said it El,

'A gold old chat'in your previous post
instead of 'a good old chat'

BUT,

since KITCHEN is a golden
oasis..

I figure your Freudian slip' IS right on the money, Ha ha!

HOW are you feeling today?
Hope you're taking it easy.

It's a HOLIDAY here today,
everywhere closed down..
that's because our
National Day> St Patrick's, fell on
a Sunday, so folks get an extra day!

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>I have seen England change so very much. I don't think the influx has been for the good. El how does it work now that people from the EU can go anywhere and work? It would seem people would flock to the country that had the most welfare benefits. Is that the case ?
I always cast my mind back to the fact that when my own ancestors emigrated here, they were equally unwelcome...difference being, no benefits in those days. The conditions in which they lived would be considered uninhabitable, yet they made good. Focus these days seems to be on the occasional immigrant who is granted extraordinary benefits and given a house in the most exclusive areas, rent paid, however, always two sides to the coin, not a lot of mention of the unscrupulous landlords who take advantage of impoverished immigrants, housing them in garages and the like, for which they pay exhorbitant rent out of their benefits.
There are instances where some newcomers are given grants to open restaurants, cafes, or shops, whilst local unemployed are given the no help whatsoever, that creates discord.
Then there are the newcomers who will accept the jobs of work which the locals are too lazy to do.
What riles mostly, are the lack of health checks given to people coming into the UK....TB is on the increase having been eradicated, yet when I moved to the USA, even my dogs had to have a clean bill of health.
I will sum up Denny by saying that our economy is such, that for the first time in my living memory at least, food banks are sprouting up everywhere.

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
You said it El,
'A gold old chat'in your previous post
instead of 'a good old chat'
BUT,
since KITCHEN is a golden
oasis..
I figure your Freudian slip' IS right on the money, Ha ha!
HOW are you feeling today?
Hope you're taking it easy.
It's a HOLIDAY here today,
everywhere closed down..
that's because our
National Day> St Patrick's, fell on
a Sunday, so folks get an extra day!
Thanks Grace, lol.

I thought at the time..a gold old chat with a golden oldie, ha ha.

Much much better thanks, in fact, have been able to move some roses to enable us to access the patio on a lower level...just
in time as it looks like rain any minute now.

Hope this finds you keeping well and taking good care this weather....:)

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>FDR really tried to stack the court by increasing the numbers on the court :)
believed I said that and also noted he failed
constitutional law was my minor

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
To be clear: it was a conservative court, led by a George W appointee, which overturned the conviction of a hugely profitable accounting firm on a TECHNICALITY and not on the merits of the case, in spite of the fact that the state Supreme Court upheld the conviction?
to get clear the supreme court is lead by the Chief Justice ..........

in addition to the duties of the Associate Justices, the Chief Justice has the following additional duties:

The Chief Justice enters the courtroom first and casts the first vote when the justices deliberate. The Chief Justice's vote carries has no more influence than the votes of the Associate Justices.

If the Chief Justice votes with the majority in a case decided by the Supreme Court, he or she may choose to write the Court's opinion, or to assign the task to one of the Associate Justices.

The Chief Justice sits as the judge in impeachments of the President of the United States. Only two Chief Justices have ever served this roll: Chief Justices, Salmon P. Chase presided over the Senate trial of President Andrew Johnson in 1868, and the late William H. Rehnquist presided over the trial of President William Clinton in 1999.

The Chief Justice presides over the impeachment trial of the Vice President if the Vice President is serving as Acting President (a Senate rule, not provided for by the Constitution).

The Chief Justice swears in the President of the United States at inaugurations. This is a purely traditional role. According to law, any federal or state judge, even a notary-public, is empowered to administer oaths of office.

The Chief Justice serves as Chancellor of the Smithsonian Institution, and sits on the boards of the National Gallery of Art and the Hirshorn Museum.

The Chief Justice writes an annual report to Congress about the state of the federal court system.

Just like the Associate Justices, the Chief Justice of the United States is nominated by the President of the United States and must be confirmed by a majority vote of the U.S. Senate. Also like the Associate Justices, the Chief Justice serves until retirement, death or impeachment.

you really should forget Bush , he didn't hurt you

btw did you return your stimulus checks ???????

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that's called the loophole --- dem or republican, look for it and they'll find it, particularly when the defendant has as much money as Arthur Andersen
called checks and balances very IMPORTANT part of this great system you seem to delight in bashing

each branch can and does overseer each other

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
I always cast my mind back to the fact that when my own ancestors emigrated here, they were equally unwelcome...difference being, no benefits in those days. The conditions in which they lived would be considered uninhabitable, yet they made good. Focus these days seems to be on the occasional immigrant who is granted extraordinary benefits and given a house in the most exclusive areas, rent paid, however, always two sides to the coin, not a lot of mention of the unscrupulous landlords who take advantage of impoverished immigrants, housing them in garages and the like, for which they pay exhorbitant rent out of their benefits.
There are instances where some newcomers are given grants to open restaurants, cafes, or shops, whilst local unemployed are given the no help whatsoever, that creates discord.
Then there are the newcomers who will accept the jobs of work which the locals are too lazy to do.
What riles mostly, are the lack of health checks given to people coming into the UK....TB is on the increase having been eradicated, yet when I moved to the USA, even my dogs had to have a clean bill of health.
I will sum up Denny by saying that our economy is such, that for the first time in my living memory at least, food banks are sprouting up everywhere.
Did you hear about Cypress and their bank tax. They took 10% of what people had in their bank! I hope Obama doesn't hear about that :)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Good morning Mighty Quinn. You are my favorite oerson to disagree with. I hate government even when Republicans are in charge. I just think conservatives are less harmful. Obama doesn't think we have a spending problem at all. We can't continue to borrow half of what we spend. You know where that will end for all of us. It is a disgrace that we have 40 million people on food stamps
Same here Denny. I don't disagree there are too many on food stamps -- sadly the ones who abuse the system make it harder for those in need. And there are many in need.

Agree or don't, but it was the likes of the seriously affluent in TX (Skilling & Lay to name a few) and IL whose dealings and greed cheated people and resulted in a significant number of people losing jobs, savings and ending up on gov welfare rolls through no fault of their own.

How can justify that? How can you dismiss them as "47%" when it's the 1% who literally put them there? It's hypocrisy at best and criminal at worst....and it was criminal.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>just cutting in to say y'all are welcome to the kitchen.
Can we be objective enough to describe what we are really
like? For myself, anything I have to say here, I would
say in the RW...if, that is, there was anybody sufficiently
interested to hear it, which is doubtful! One topic rules
here where I live, and that is we English incomers are
the ruination of their culture. Understandable.
I tell a lie, Rugby is first and foremost in the converstion
currently, Wales having retained the Championship.
You get what you see with me. There's nothing I say here that I don't say with family and friends. Take it or leave it. I'm highly opinionated (as my good pal Denny can attest) and I was born talking and haven't shut up since (as my friends & family outside of the realm can attest.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>What a pleasant place to discuss our views. I never take anything personally and I value everyone's view point. Quinn is from a solid Democrat state and I am from a solid Republican state :)
But you misunderstand Denny. It's like my friend who thought I was an atheist because I no longer believe what I was raised with and don't attend a church. I'm not an atheist.

Ergo just because Illinois generally and Chicago in particular are highly democrat, I do not subscribe or claim affiliation with any party. They are the same in different suits.

I am socially liberal and somewhat of a fiscal conservative. I believe the gov should not dictate who can marry, nor should it dictate people's family planning decisions; yes we need to cut spending but that cuts both ways --- even during 'peacetime' we keep spending more and more on defense; the government should help people who need a hand or get hit by natural disasters and we are the only country who does not revere its seniors, although that's more cultural than gov funding. What the gov has all but eliminated is mental healthcare -- that's dangerous, irresponsible or no pun intended but crazy.

I am liberal a proud of it (ma's rolling in her grave). Most republicans appear to be seriously conservative both socially - I do not need a white bible thumping man to tell me how to live my life. I find it utter hypocrisy when politicians -- usually conservative republicans -- say they want less government in private lives, but proceed to use the law to determine who can marry (one man/one woman); whether a woman can purchase birth control (I'm 47 and insulin dependent diabetic, I should die because some man says I should not have access to birth control?)

the list can go on....

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Same here Denny. I don't disagree there are too many on food stamps -- sadly the ones who abuse the system make it harder for those in need. And there are many in need.
Agree or don't, but it was the likes of the seriously affluent in TX (Skilling & Lay to name a few) and IL whose dealings and greed cheated people and resulted in a significant number of people losing jobs, savings and ending up on gov welfare rolls through no fault of their own.
How can justify that? How can you dismiss them as "47%" when it's the 1% who literally put them there? It's hypocrisy at best and criminal at worst....and it was criminal.
If it is criminal then the courts decide that. Put them in jail if they broke the law. I have no beef with successful people. They cause the jobs in the first place. Their wealth doesn't make me poorer. That same 1% pay the lions share of taxes. That 47% who pay no federal income tax just aren't interested in lower taxes for the rest of us. When it comes to corruption there is plenty to go around on all sides. Obama's dog trainer makes over $100,000 at tax payer expense. Obama has a staff of over 400 and most make near $100K or more. Last year we paid 1.5 billion for Obama's travel.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
But you misunderstand Denny. It's like my friend who thought I was an atheist because I no longer believe what I was raised with and don't attend a church. I'm not an atheist.
Ergo just because Illinois generally and Chicago in particular are highly democrat, I do not subscribe or claim affiliation with any party. They are the same in different suits.
I am socially liberal and somewhat of a fiscal conservative. I believe the gov should not dictate who can marry, nor should it dictate people's family planning decisions; yes we need to cut spending but that cuts both ways --- even during 'peacetime' we keep spending more and more on defense; the government should help people who need a hand or get hit by natural disasters and we are the only country who does not revere its seniors, although that's more cultural than gov funding. What the gov has all but eliminated is mental healthcare -- that's dangerous, irresponsible or no pun intended but crazy.
I am liberal a proud of it (ma's rolling in her grave). Most republicans appear to be seriously conservative both socially - I do not need a white bible thumping man to tell me how to live my life. I find it utter hypocrisy when politicians -- usually conservative republicans -- say they want less government in private lives, but proceed to use the law to determine who can marry (one man/one woman); whether a woman can purchase birth control (I'm 47 and insulin dependent diabetic, I should die because some man says I should not have access to birth control?)
the list can go on....
We agree on some things but not others. I am a libertarian and not a Republican. I vote Republican but I am a social liberal. I don't want the government to control what I do as long as I am not harming anyone. I don't want them telling me how big my coke is or what I should eat. I am for legal drugs and prostitution it is none of the governments business. There are all kinds of sexual relationships and I have no problem with any of them as long as it is consenting adults. Gays have exactly the same rights as everyone else does. ONLY IF YOU CHANGE the definition of marriage is there any unequal treatment. If one small group can change the very meaning of words then any other group has the same right. I don't care about birth control in any way as long as I am not forced to pay for it. I don't think religious institutions should be forced to pay for birth control if it is against their beliefs. I find many liberals to say anything that advances their cause. Like Obama's add that Romney caused a woman to die from cancer. Today Hillery is for gay marriage and so is Bill. They both ran on difference of marriage and marriage is between a man and woman. Just like Obama first term was anti gay marriage now the lie isn't necessary any more and he is for gay marriage

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
the list can go on....
I am very in favor of defense spending. I don't want our people in the second best plane or the second best tank in a fight

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

I find that the government is for the masses and not the individual... which they are correct ... I don't want contaminated food/health issue eating place/smoke in my face/children drinking

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

Good evening/morning to all!
I have been reading postings and not posting much. Some of what I see is quite amusing and I share that with Brighteyes. We have really good belly laughs.

My point here is that between some, it is an episode of Upstairs/Downstairs, Downton Abbey, and of course Monty Python.
(Cut to corner in kitchen), Boomer_ I say Lady Quinn and Master Crane. Would you be so kind as to bury the hatchet in the garden?
Franko- Not in each others' head!
(Room erupts in laughter!)
Lady Quinn and Master Crane retire to the garden with their chat of American politics. Applause!
Franko- Has Gluteus Maximus stopped in lately?

My sincere apologies to the BBC, any and all that I may have offended, and for all of those I have not!

Spring has yet to be sprung in my head!
(Don't ask!)
Peace

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

Boomer7 wrote:
Good evening/morning to all!
I have been reading postings and not posting much. Some of what I see is quite amusing and I share that with Brighteyes. We have really good belly laughs.

My point here is that between some, it is an episode of Upstairs/Downstairs, Downton Abbey, and of course Monty Python.
(Cut to corner in kitchen), Boomer_ I say Lady Quinn and Master Crane. Would you be so kind as to bury the hatchet in the garden?
Franko- Not in each others' head!
(Room erupts in laughter!)
Lady Quinn and Master Crane retire to the garden with their chat of American politics. Applause!
Franko- Has Gluteus Maximus stopped in lately?

My sincere apologies to the BBC, any and all that I may have offended, and for all of those I have not!

Spring has yet to be sprung in my head!
(Don't ask!)
Peace
Alas poor Boomer, I cannot speak for Franko or Sir Tallyho Bali Hi, but as Master Crane has stated, we have no hatchet to bury.

Denny and I knew each other and bantered before gracing this lovely kitchen. It is friendly banter and neither of insults the other. Age, geography, life experiences --- we have differing opinions. No one is left with ill feelings.

As for Franko & Sir T, we've been chatting it up in the kitchen for a while - I love Franko's wit and wisdom and Tally is another well informed walking encyclopedia. I don't take offense and I certainly hope they don't as I mean no offense.

Get my Irish up and that's another story, but I have no problems with our kitchen friends and as I'm aware no one has a problem with me. If so tell me, don't keep it a secret.

Level 3

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Alas poor Boomer, I cannot speak for Franko or Sir Tallyho Bali Hi, but as Master Crane has stated, we have no hatchet to bury.
Denny and I knew each other and bantered before gracing this lovely kitchen. It is friendly banter and neither of insults the other. Age, geography, life experiences --- we have differing opinions. No one is left with ill feelings.
As for Franko & Sir T, we've been chatting it up in the kitchen for a while - I love Franko's wit and wisdom and Tally is another well informed walking encyclopedia. I don't take offense and I certainly hope they don't as I mean no offense.
Get my Irish up and that's another story, but I have no problems with our kitchen friends and as I'm aware no one has a problem with me. If so tell me, don't keep it a secret.
Dear Quinn my friend. I know that Boomer was talking tongue and cheek. We both are aware that this is a friendly and open environment to discuss anything that comes to mind. No one ever said that they have a problem with you and no need to be on the defense here. Looks to me like he was doing his best to make light of things. No worries Quinn. We are all friends here.
Peace as always Dear Quinn.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

Brighteyes9 wrote:
<quoted text>Dear Quinn my friend. I know that Boomer was talking tongue and cheek. We both are aware that this is a friendly and open environment to discuss anything that comes to mind. No one ever said that they have a problem with you and no need to be on the defense here. Looks to me like he was doing his best to make light of things. No worries Quinn. We are all friends here.
Peace as always Dear Quinn.
Hey there Brighteyes, I was not being defensive I was trying to explain there is no real conflict, certainly not with me & Denny who go at it the most.

I thought perhaps Boomer thought there was real discord between us.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

211 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 8 min Sublime1 14,979
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 10 min Gynger 17,199
Let's have some FUN(NY)... 12 min dragoon70056 15
Word Association (Mar '10) 15 min Bezeer 15,704
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 19 min Parden Pard 39,911
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 22 min Parden Pard 53,966
I read the news today, oh boy (Jun '10) 24 min moi 841
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 35 min CJ Rocker 141,332
Man run over by own truck during road rage 43 min Ted Haggard s Masseur 2