El's Kitchen

“Work it out yourself!”

Since: Jun 06

Leigh, UK

#23937 Mar 8, 2013
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>evening babes the mighty Spurs tonight should be a good a game.
Brilliant result Krypteia....thought the yellow card unjust myself, don't know what you think, but anyway, they have a head start for the second leg so a disappointment they will be without Bale, but shouldn't be a problem, I thought Spurs ran rings round Inter Milan.....:)

“Work it out yourself!”

Leigh, UK

#23938 Mar 8, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not so, or not in the way you think - that is a common fallacy. Religious persecution was involved - by the Pilgrim Fathers!! They left as Britain would not persecute those who did not subscribe to their version of the puritan religion, not because they themselves were being persecuted.
Must admit I was of the same opinion as Quinn...a lot of sources would have you believe that they left because of religious persecution..in fact, I was watching a programme only the other night on the tv., Who Do You Think You Are..when actress Ashley Judd discovered an ancestor was one of the Pilgrim Fathers, but
he himself was imprisoned presumably for his beliefs prior to going to America, in fact she was shown the cell, and the plaque above denoting his imprisonment.
Also Tony, I learnt elsewhere that if those who had broken away from the Church of England did not attend serves on Sundays and Holy Days, they would be fined a considerable amount of money.
All which points to persecution?
Appreciate your comments on those matters. Thanks...
Krypteia

Hove, UK

#23939 Mar 8, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant result Krypteia....thought the yellow card unjust myself, don't know what you think, but anyway, they have a head start for the second leg so a disappointment they will be without Bale, but shouldn't be a problem, I thought Spurs ran rings round Inter Milan.....:)
Morning El,yep a superb game and running rings round Inter Milan was unbelievable they were lucky they didn't concede more goals to be honest,it was unfortunate that Bale got yellow carded,I thought his foot gave way and fell but the ref booked him for diving but I suppose in the penalty area that's what he saw,now he's banned from the next game..
Now rugby all weekend end to look forward to,I put a five pond bet on England to beat Italy by certain amount of points..

“Work it out yourself!”

Leigh, UK

#23940 Mar 8, 2013
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>Morning El,yep a superb game and running rings round Inter Milan was unbelievable they were lucky they didn't concede more goals to be honest,it was unfortunate that Bale got yellow carded,I thought his foot gave way and fell but the ref booked him for diving but I suppose in the penalty area that's what he saw,now he's banned from the next game..
Now rugby all weekend end to look forward to,I put a five pond bet on England to beat Italy by certain amount of points..
'Morning Krypteia...glad I watched it, I really rate Lennon as well, and was glad to see the original goalie playing.
Shame about Bale but afraid you are right, a caution might have been nice ..:)
Now this Sunday we have Spurs versus Liverpool...you know how I feel about Liverpool, nobody can understand it me being a Man U supporter an' all, but that's how it is...so I am hoping L'pool
win that one! Then we have Man U....some surprising news this morning about Rooney...
No reason why England shouldn't win...so it will be drinks all round when you collect your winnings eh what?!....:)

“Work it out yourself!”

Leigh, UK

#23941 Mar 8, 2013
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>Morning El,yep a superb game and running rings round Inter Milan was unbelievable they were lucky they didn't concede more goals to be honest,it was unfortunate that Bale got yellow carded,I thought his foot gave way and fell but the ref booked him for diving but I suppose in the penalty area that's what he saw,now he's banned from the next game..
Found an update on the Rooney 'situation' and Fergie said that we have his word that Wayne Rooney is staying at Manchester United.
He wants the two newspapers who ran the story to apologise.
Of more interest to yourself Krypt...Jermain Defoe is on video saying he thinks that Bale is like Ronaldo...speaks very highly of him.

“June ”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

‘

#23942 Mar 8, 2013
Morning everyone here,

Rainy today, you know that soft rain..
but in between there's a nice touch
of Spring.
My son is in Australia doing an album,
and says he can't get used to the heat! lol

El,
Have you any idea when the British version
of THE VOICE is beginning?

Ours is half way through, and to date,
nothing special about it..

I enjoyed the British version last year
and thought Tom Jones was ideal, as a judge.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#23943 Mar 8, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>Not so, or not in the way you think - that is a common fallacy. Religious persecution was involved - by the Pilgrim Fathers!! They left as Britain would not persecute those who did not subscribe to their version of the puritan religion, not because they themselves were being persecuted.
Again you are a wealth of knowledge Tony. It is also interesting how the history we were taught in school is so watered down from what happened.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#23944 Mar 8, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>I love those cards....just measured my paper and it is 11 1/2 x 8 1/4...would that suffice?

as for the e-mails, I managed to send the occasional one, but then I had some rejected (MAELOR DEMON) so left well alone until it
was sorted...back in business now....:)
We can only try!

I enjoy your email. So glad GB is finally well on the mend.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#23945 Mar 8, 2013
http://youtu.be/cHru34C23FA

Morning, its snowing here..
but im trying to THINK spring!

this is a pretty song, i think. so for all my friends in the Kitchen!

im into violin music right now so bear with me. lol

:)

Bora Da!
and that other word... C something El?
lol

Level 1

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#23946 Mar 8, 2013
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>As long as you don't suffer with the two bob bits,lol
I still have a one pound note I tucked away 30 years ago...

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#23947 Mar 8, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Found an update on the Rooney 'situation' and Fergie said that we have his word that Wayne Rooney is staying at Manchester United.
He wants the two newspapers who ran the story to apologise.
Of more interest to yourself Krypt...Jermain Defoe is on video saying he thinks that Bale is like Ronaldo...speaks very highly of him.
Good morning El. I must have had my lucky shoes on yesterday. I won $100 at one builder lunch and won a bottle of wine at a cocktail party later that day :)

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#23948 Mar 8, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
So do you think the Avery 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock is available in Wales?
yes that is the purpose of ISO.. The International Standards Organization , like a light bulb , standard all over the world

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#23949 Mar 8, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not so, or not in the way you think - that is a common fallacy. Religious persecution was involved - by the Pilgrim Fathers!! They left as Britain would not persecute those who did not subscribe to their version of the puritan religion, not because they themselves were being persecuted.
depend if you stand inboard or outboard Capt..

The result was mutual disaffection and a persecution of the Puritans, particularly by Archbishop William Laud,... cast the Puritans out of the Church of England.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#23950 Mar 8, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the Nederlands had complete religious freedom and the Puritans moved from England to practice their own religion..
but then they came back and decided t they would better moving to
new territory and the rest is history!
I really don't like doing this but.... this is info only

William Ames: Puritan in the Netherlands.... During the time of Spanish persecution in the Netherlands, many fled to England and found refuge there

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Southampton, UK

#23951 Mar 8, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Must admit I was of the same opinion as Quinn...a lot of sources would have you believe that they left because of religious persecution..in fact, I was watching a programme only the other night on the tv., Who Do You Think You Are..when actress Ashley Judd discovered an ancestor was one of the Pilgrim Fathers, but
he himself was imprisoned presumably for his beliefs prior to going to America, in fact she was shown the cell, and the plaque above denoting his imprisonment.
Also Tony, I learnt elsewhere that if those who had broken away from the Church of England did not attend serves on Sundays and Holy Days, they would be fined a considerable amount of money.
All which points to persecution?
Appreciate your comments on those matters. Thanks...
Indeed, fines were imposed, starting in 1559 under the Act of Uniformity of Elizabeth's reign and going on until 1650 under Cromwell. However, these were aimed specifically at Roman Catholic families, not at puritans. The fear was Catholicism as many plots arose against Elizabeth sponsored by RC sumpathisers. You must remember that at the time the Pilgrim Fathers left for America, Puritans were still part of the C of E albeit harried by James who hated them as Scottisn Presbyterians had been the bane of his life in his younger days as King of Scotland.

As to imprisonment, without knowing the details of a particular case, I can't comment. Puritans were imprisoned, but generally for going against the King, not because of their religion. That is not to say there weren't examples of persecution, but it would be more a matter of excluded from court, public office, military and church positions etc.

Be a little cautious of what the TV tells you - some programmes are very good historically, some are not always of the greatest accuracy.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Southampton, UK

#23952 Mar 8, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
depend if you stand inboard or outboard Capt..
The result was mutual disaffection and a persecution of the Puritans, particularly by Archbishop William Laud,... cast the Puritans out of the Church of England.
Quite right about Laud's persecution of Puritans, although I can't recall him casting them out of the Church of England. However since he did not become Archbishop of Canterbury until 1633, 13 years after the Pilgrim Fathers left, he played no part in their initial departure.

It may be that both you and ER are mixing up the Mayflower with the Griffin, which sailed for America in 1633 and again 1634 and had on board Anne Hutchinson for the latter journey, although I can find no record of her being previously imprisoned. Subsequent settlers to America, particularly after the Restoration of Charles II in 1660 (he went for the Puritan jugular so to speak!) did flee persecution, which leads to the assumption that the first settlers also did.

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#23953 Mar 8, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite right about Laud's persecution of Puritans, although I can't recall him casting them out of the Church of England. However since he did not become Archbishop of Canterbury until 1633, 13 years after the Pilgrim Fathers left, he played no part in their initial departure.
It may be that both you and ER are mixing up the Mayflower with the Griffin, which sailed for America in 1633 and again 1634 and had on board Anne Hutchinson for the latter journey, although I can find no record of her being previously imprisoned. Subsequent settlers to America, particularly after the Restoration of Charles II in 1660 (he went for the Puritan jugular so to speak!) did flee persecution, which leads to the assumption that the first settlers also did.
the persecution had to exist ...

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#23954 Mar 8, 2013
info:

The Mayflower passengers were mostly from the English counties of Kent, Essex and Lincolnshire. Religious persecution exacerbated their flight to America

apologies, got the Holland part a little short... England-Holland-England-Americ a

The Pilgrim's journey to America began in 1608 when they were forced to leave their native England for Holland. Their Puritan religious beliefs were in conflict with those of England's Anglican Church. As the Anglican Church and the monarchy of King James I were one, the Puritan's opposition could be interpreted as treason; consequently, they felt it prudent to leave the country.

By 1620, the Puritan's experience in Holland had gone sour and they returned to England with the objective of making passage to America.

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#23955 Mar 8, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a lovely surprise to see you here last evening Paise, I
was in a mad rush as I had got held up getting back from the
Vets so it was action stations with about five minutes to spare before the match started...
We are fine here thanks for asking, and I sincerely hope that your husband has made excellent progress and that you are both well and
enjoying life after the ups and downs. Winter has not been too kind but I realize it could be much worse judging by the reports of the weather conditions over the Winter period in the US. Puts everything in perspective. We are in for more cold weather over here but all prepared and looking forward now to Spring.
How is the landscaping coming along, still busy? Ground manageable?
Make yourself at home here my friend, some freshly made muffins
over there...coffee is always on the go!...
I hope your match went as you wished!
Winter over here has been a bear! And we're not landscaping yet because the snow cover won't go away. We've had a major flood, in which the house did wonderfully, we stayed here high and dry, fearing no power outage, now that we have a wood burning stove installed.
Hubby is completely healed, thank you. He got the rest of the insulation sprayed in this Winter once his customers were tucked in for the season. I've been taking care of the grandbabies two days a week. One daughter babysits for the other daughter, but she has school 2 days a week, so I cover those days for both of them. Highlight of my week, many times.
My mom's had a heck of a time of it, but today is in relatively decent health, considering. Much to be thankful for, life is good.
I do hope you and the Mr. are enjoying the days, your family and your little beloved friends on four legs.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#23956 Mar 8, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know how much water they carried with them? None. They carried beer :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
One Word (Jan '09) 4 min Northbound 16,315
True False Game (Jun '11) 4 min KellyP in Jersey 12,419
A six word game (Dec '08) 13 min KellyP in Jersey 19,219
LOVE and OTHER BRUISES (Apr '12) 14 min Northbound 1,623
News new Man driving motorcycle in dark hits black c... 27 min Protoham 4
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 38 min Northbound 192,902
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 42 min Princess Hey 3,231
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 55 min Northbound 7,437
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) 1 hr Bad Bex 7,260
2words into 2new words (May '12) 1 hr Poppyann 2,287