Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Good morning El and all in the kitchen :) Going to be 70 here in Dallas
'Morning Denny.....you are making me quite jealous now..
I am ready for some warmer weather. I have just put the
heating up for the evening as the temp is dropping now,
I wouldn't be at all surprised if we had snow.
Enjoy your day...and hope you are totally recovered from the
flu you had by now, this weather will do you good.

“Poppies. Tower of London”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Grace Nerissa wrote:
Re 'CAIRDE'
from Google >
"cairde" means "friendship, relation" in Irish Gaelic.
It may be that people are using this in place of "caraid", which is
"friend", i.e. they are addressing each other by their relation to
the other person rather than by the (relational) title of the other
persons
might be of use to the topic in hand.
Grace....are you having a cold snap as we are, our
weather is usually pretty much the same?
Quite amazing really, the similarity between the languages,
it's possible cariad means friend in Welsh also, must check
on that.
Well Caraid, time for me to get my skates on and get this cat to the Vets, this is the big day for him and they won't need to see him again on this hopefully.

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Quick Hello to Brighteyes, Tony and Krypteia....
Boomer and Colarado Chick.Not seen Sir Tally around today...Hello S.T

hope all are well and keeping warm.
Krypteia

Newhaven, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

eleanorigby wrote:
evening babes the mighty Spurs tonight should be a good a game.

Level 1

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

eleanorigby wrote:
A bloke at work was a bit distraught... He had lost half a crown. I told him that I didn't have half a crown, but I'd lend him a two bob bit...!!

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

If I keep waiting until I have time to read up on what's going on with the fine folks in El's Kitchen, to rejoin the conversation, I'll NEVER get back here!

So I'm just gonna butt-in like a rude person, lol.

I've missed y'all!

Hello!
Krypteia

Newhaven, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Groucho AKA Falcon 68 wrote:
<quoted text>A bloke at work was a bit distraught... He had lost half a crown. I told him that I didn't have half a crown, but I'd lend him a two bob bit...!!
As long as you don't suffer with the two bob bits,lol
Krypteia

Newhaven, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Paisley_Posey wrote:
If I keep waiting until I have time to read up on what's going on with the fine folks in El's Kitchen, to rejoin the conversation, I'll NEVER get back here!
I've missed y'all!
Hello!
Evening Paisley hope your well been a while.xx

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>evening babes the mighty Spurs tonight should be a good a game.
hey babes...made it, didn't want to miss this one...Come ON the
Spurs!!

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Groucho AKA Falcon 68 wrote:
<quoted text>A bloke at work was a bit distraught... He had lost half a crown. I told him that I didn't have half a crown, but I'd lend him a two bob bit...!!
he will only be a tanner short....story about that...later....:)x

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Paisley_Posey wrote:
I've missed y'all!
Hello!
Paise....wonderful to see you....flying visit into the kitchen on my part just now...but to say the feeling is reciprocated, missed
you very much indeed. Speak later.....:)

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>Evening Paisley hope your well been a while.xx
Hello Kryp! I am well, thank you, and hope I'm finding you well, as well, lol.
It has been awhile, I've been around a little bit.
A lot going on here, being part of a large family guarantees that, I think and I also think I'm through expecting things to calm down someday, lol.

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Paise....wonderful to see you....flying visit into the kitchen on my part just now...but to say the feeling is reciprocated, missed
you very much indeed. Speak later.....:)
Hello El!{{{El}}}
Yes I think I have a little breathing room for a bit, a few days, anyway. I sure hope all has been well with you!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

franko wrote:
<quoted text>so the 13 colonies said "hey, we love you Brits, we just hate your taxes, so we'll fight this war and have tens of thousands of deaths and claim independance and start our own country?

Hmmmm....

Actually there must have been many poeple with mixed feelings at the time ...

After all, most of the people who faught in the war were brits against brits,

Also, therefore, naturally the early presidents would have been from that heritage ...

As to the German, apparently I was the victem of a fairly common rumour .. I did a little more research and it looks like it wasn't ever seriosuly considered .. but there are articles and websites that talk about this.
Somehow I also thought religious persecution was involved in the decision to leave GB way back when.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

franko wrote:
<quoted text>actually it would be smart to go metric .. do you know how easy it is to make mistakes using the 1/4,, 8ths, 1/16th etc on a measuring tape? Try doing some carpentry or home building, it;s a nightmare compared to metric.
....measure twice cut once :-)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>'Morning Quincy...my e-mails are behaving themselves now, in fact, only yesterday I downloaded over 5000 of 'em..a serious backlog.

The problem arose when I upgraded to Windows 8 Pro....I was in a state of shock as I couldn't understand it, so I eventually re-installed Windows 7 which is now running parallel to 8 version, and ironically, now use Windows 8 by choice, having mastered it to a point, it's fast, it's easy and that's just me, hahaha

Wondering why you asked!.....:)

Now stop me if I am getting boring on Manchester but when I was at the University I noticed a plaque concerning computers on one of the buildings...bit of info here.

"Of course Chemistry does not have all the "Firsts" - just to be fair we should mention that in our sister science, Physics, Rutherford, who won the Nobel Prize for Chemistry, first split the atom at Manchester - commemorated by a blue plaque on a wall of one of the University's original buildings. Similarly in Bridgford Street there is a plaque celebrating the invention in 1948 of the world's first stored-program computer here at the University"

btw, electrical system, the mains supply does not matter as all computers work on the same voltage through adaptors, but we work
on the 230V system.
We spoke of the cards I enjoy making and while I would like to send you the software since your operating system will suffice, you wi likely be on your own for the card stock paper to print the cards. The packs come in 8 1/2 x 11 and that's inches. I don't think your paper is the same size as here is it?

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>'Morning Quincy...my e-mails are behaving themselves now, in fact, only yesterday I downloaded over 5000 of 'em..a serious backlog.

The problem arose when I upgraded to Windows 8 Pro....I was in a state of shock as I couldn't understand it, so I eventually re-installed Windows 7 which is now running parallel to 8 version, and ironically, now use Windows 8 by choice, having mastered it to a point, it's fast, it's easy and that's just me, hahaha

Wondering why you asked!.....:)

Now stop me if I am getting boring on Manchester but when I was at the University I noticed a plaque concerning computers on one of the buildings...bit of info here.

"Of course Chemistry does not have all the "Firsts" - just to be fair we should mention that in our sister science, Physics, Rutherford, who won the Nobel Prize for Chemistry, first split the atom at Manchester - commemorated by a blue plaque on a wall of one of the University's original buildings. Similarly in Bridgford Street there is a plaque celebrating the invention in 1948 of the world's first stored-program computer here at the University"

btw, electrical system, the mains supply does not matter as all computers work on the same voltage through adaptors, but we work
on the 230V system.
The software is for adult/child use so its all quite user friendly.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Somehow I also thought religious persecution was involved in the decision to leave GB way back when.
yes to settle the new world , but the puritan I believe began in Holland and move to England and then on to the new world , the 13 colonies didn't come into existence until the declaration of independence

and yes the USA [13 colonies] said exactly that

we rebelled ... more inhabitants of the colonials were pro -British... known as Tories/Loyalists

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
We spoke of the cards I enjoy making and while I would like to send you the software since your operating system will suffice, you wi likely be on your own for the card stock paper to print the cards. The packs come in 8 1/2 x 11 and that's inches. I don't think your paper is the same size as here is it?
info . the US was going the metric system late 70s early 80s . great Idea yes , NOPE the USA figured just to change the road signs would have cost Billions

why do I know that , because I worked at Kodak and just to change scales was a horrendous price

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
info: Many paper size standards conventions have existed at different times and in different countries. Today there is one widespread international ISO standard (including A4, B3, C4, etc.) and a local standard used in North America (including letter, legal, ledger, etc.). The paper sizes affect writing paper, stationery, cards, and some printed documents. The standards also have related sizes for envelopes.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••