“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#23889 Mar 6, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
Anyone with an interest in history....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21057494
I loved reading both of your links ... there is so much to learn, we can't possibly know it all ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#23890 Mar 6, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Crikey, now you're opening a can of worms, for there isn't a "right" answer to this one! England was a series of kingdoms up until the beginning of the tenth century - some Anglo-Saxon in origin, some Viking, some in the west Celtic. The first monarch to subdue all the English area was Athelstan in 927 AD. Thus, he can be regarded as the first King of England. However, as far as I am aware, he was never formally crowned as that, only as King of the Saxons in 924 AD. I can find no record for his successor being crowned, only being proclaimed King. Some of his successors failed to hold the kingdom together at times.
The first King of England that I can find with a date of coronation is Edwy in 956 at Kingston-upon-Thames. Subsequent kings of the period were also crowned there.
The first to be crowned in Westminster Abbey, where all monarchs after him were crowned, was William I in 1066.
Here's a link which may help - I fear I'm not a Medievalist, so may have missed some information:
http://www.royal.gov.uk/HistoryoftheMonarchy/...
you are a wealth of information and you tell the story well ....

SO england was not one day just proclaimed as a country?

It sounds like some effort went on for a long time to create some sort of unification of the neighbouring smaller kingdoms?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#23891 Mar 6, 2013
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>Made sure my boy had a good name unlike the fairy name I was given,Denny don't you tell,lol
My Dd chose all thre of his kid;s names .. my mother till gets ticked off when she talks about that!!!

My name as written on my birth certificate was not in use by myself or anyone in the family until I met my wife at age 29 ... she liked my proper name better ... my family still does not use it even though it is my legal name.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#23892 Mar 6, 2013
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>Made sure my boy had a good name unlike the fairy name I was given,Denny don't you tell,lol
were yuo a boy named sue?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#23893 Mar 6, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
Questions El....I'm asking here 'cause you mentioned problems with your email. And please forgive my ignorance if I should know better.....
Is your PC the same as what's available in the US? Like Windows or a Mac or something?
Yes it's 'a global village' but I understand your electrical outlets are not necessarily the same as here so I'm not sure what's "different".
Do your printers use the same size paper as here? Maybe not since the US never went metric.
Ha! I just learned you'll need A4 Avery card stock!! Will explain soon. You'll be hearing from me.
Not my fault we here have a superiority complex and refused to go metric !
;-)
actually it would be smart to go metric .. do you know how easy it is to make mistakes using the 1/4,, 8ths, 1/16th etc on a measuring tape? Try doing some carpentry or home building, it;s a nightmare compared to metric.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Southampton, UK

#23894 Mar 6, 2013
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>I think most would say the first famous Saxon king was Alfred but like you say there were smaller kingdoms and inter wars until the Vikings came.think Alfred if memory serves took his small army and rebuilt it as such in the marshes.
If you like fiction books Bernard Cornwall doe's a good line from the age of Arthur to later saxon stories.
Most English kids have heard of Alfred (or had - goodness knows whether they have now as 30% think Winston Churchill runs an insurance company!). He was only King of Wessex 871-899 AD (although he did style himself King of the Anglo-Saxons and on coinage, King of the English). At the time, he was successfully fighting the Viking invasion, and did make his kingdom the most dominant of the time. However, England remained partitioned between him and the Vikings.

You're right about the marshes - it was where the Somerset Levels now are.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Southampton, UK

#23895 Mar 6, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>you are a wealth of information and you tell the story well ....
SO england was not one day just proclaimed as a country?
It sounds like some effort went on for a long time to create some sort of unification of the neighbouring smaller kingdoms?
Indeed so. Two major invasions after the Romans left around 410 AD: Angles and Saxons, followed by the Vikings, both of whom settled in "England", led to several different kingdoms - Wessex, Mercia, Anglia, Northumbria (and that doesn't count the Celtic kingdoms like Cornwall and Wales). The fortunes of each waxed and waned until Athelstan united them (i.e. conquered them) in 927.

With the Norman invasion of 1066 (they were direct Viking descendants, William was Duke of Normandy, not King of France, which was Philip) and the subjugation of the country, we have a clear line that runs through (via Scotland, Holland and Germany) to the monarchs of today. Ironically, for three centuries after that invasion, the nobs spoke French, not English as language of choice.
Krypteia

Newhaven, UK

#23896 Mar 7, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>were yuo a boy named sue?
lol,very close mate very close,lol,that's why I named my 23 year old George,lol
Krypteia

Newhaven, UK

#23897 Mar 7, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed so. Two major invasions after the Romans left around 410 AD: Angles and Saxons, followed by the Vikings, both of whom settled in "England", led to several different kingdoms - Wessex, Mercia, Anglia, Northumbria (and that doesn't count the Celtic kingdoms like Cornwall and Wales). The fortunes of each waxed and waned until Athelstan united them (i.e. conquered them) in 927.
With the Norman invasion of 1066 (they were direct Viking descendants, William was Duke of Normandy, not King of France, which was Philip) and the subjugation of the country, we have a clear line that runs through (via Scotland, Holland and Germany) to the monarchs of today. Ironically, for three centuries after that invasion, the nobs spoke French, not English as language of choice.
Think the Normans were descent from the Germanic Viking that settled that part of Normandy..
Like the bit about Winston Churchill would be funny if it wasn't so true..

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

#23898 Mar 7, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
Questions El....I'm asking here 'cause you mentioned problems with your email. And please forgive my ignorance if I should know better.....
Is your PC the same as what's available in the US? Like Windows or a Mac or something?
Yes it's 'a global village' but I understand your electrical outlets are not necessarily the same as here so I'm not sure what's "different".
Do your printers use the same size paper as here? Maybe not since the US never went metric.
Ha! I just learned you'll need A4 Avery card stock!! Will explain soon. You'll be hearing from me.
Not my fault we here have a superiority complex and refused to go metric !
;-)
'Morning Quincy...my e-mails are behaving themselves now, in fact, only yesterday I downloaded over 5000 of 'em..a serious backlog.

The problem arose when I upgraded to Windows 8 Pro....I was in a state of shock as I couldn't understand it, so I eventually re-installed Windows 7 which is now running parallel to 8 version, and ironically, now use Windows 8 by choice, having mastered it to a point, it's fast, it's easy and that's just me, hahaha

Wondering why you asked!.....:)

Now stop me if I am getting boring on Manchester but when I was at the University I noticed a plaque concerning computers on one of the buildings...bit of info here.

"Of course Chemistry does not have all the "Firsts" - just to be fair we should mention that in our sister science, Physics, Rutherford, who won the Nobel Prize for Chemistry, first split the atom at Manchester - commemorated by a blue plaque on a wall of one of the University's original buildings. Similarly in Bridgford Street there is a plaque celebrating the invention in 1948 of the world's first stored-program computer here at the University"

btw, electrical system, the mains supply does not matter as all computers work on the same voltage through adaptors, but we work
on the 230V system.

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Manchester, UK

#23899 Mar 7, 2013
Flower-Child wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Franko ... yep, just a kid being a kid ... and how loyal his pup being patient and waiting for him ... I love that video ... if you don't remember which video I'm referring to, here's a reminder, lol ... Enjoy your day, Franko! <3 ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =aQUodFgCkC8XX
Thanks for re-posting this Flower...it is one of the sweetest videos I have occasion to see..<3

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Manchester, UK

#23900 Mar 7, 2013
Flower-Child wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I took photos of all the greenery of my plants outside and they're on FaceBook ... and the newly acquired property next door ... I have no neighbors across the way; Jax and PoohBear have a nice park all to themselves ...it's all fenced in and very nice ... We've had no winter to speak of and it's been very nice here ... IDK if that's a sign we'll have another brutal summer, yikes! Hope not ... can't have everything, I suppose, lol ... The electrician is here taking out the old ceiling fan, replacing it with the new ... performing other odd jobs as well ... must supervise so shall call it a short one today, Lady El ... Lovely to see you, my friend ... Hope you, P & the kittens are all well! Much Love, FC <3 ...
'Morning Flower....not a member of FB..but if you have any pics to share...:)
It's great to have that extra land, I bought land adjoining our property back in England, the intention was to have a cattery built, plans drawn up, etc., but neighbours opposed it. Sold the land for double what I paid, recently I saw that land for sale with planning permission at an exhorbitant price.....could hardly believe it. I had planted flowering cherry trees, and left a little building on it....it was a little haven. Oh well, c'est la vie.
All good here, Bailey has his stitches out today, he is doing great! I settle up with them today also..(:
Hope you are recovering well if not completely from your recent surgery..and enjoying the wonderful weather I hear you have been having down Texas way!...<3..Elx

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Manchester, UK

#23901 Mar 7, 2013
PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
:)
i kinda think babies should have their own name. espcially if that parents name is crappy. lol
well thats how i thought, until i had my son, my hubbys name is "different" so i never liked it, didnt even want to go out with him at first. lol - anyway, the day we left and i filled out the birth cert. i put the name we agreed on and at the last minute added my husbands name for the middle one. lol
i just had too, his only son and all that...
when i told my husband this at home, he tried to act annoyed but i know he was one proud papa. lol
Now that is a really kind gesture on your part PFfff....
shows the kind of nature you have...:) Hope hubby appreciates
that!
Bora Da!

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Manchester, UK

#23902 Mar 7, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I loved reading both of your links ... there is so much to learn, we can't possibly know it all ...
Thanks for taking the time to read them Franko.
I used to pass that statue of President Lincoln often,
as it used to be in a Platt Fields close to the Hall,
it never occurred to me to wonder why it was even there,
it was just there, but since hearing so much about Lincoln
I decided to investigate further and was amazed at the
connection with my city of birth.
Bore Da a chi!

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Manchester, UK

#23903 Mar 7, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>personaly I'm not sure it would be fair to name her after Dianna as their is a certain one-on-one uniqueness of the relatoinship between Dianna and the world and I think it would be unfair to this child to somehow always be compared to her... I think think she would always be in the shadow of her grandmother.
Now, if they used Dianna as a middle name that would be great.
Oh I meant as a middle name, forgot to mention that.
I can visualize Elizabeth Diana Catherine....

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#23904 Mar 7, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I meant as a middle name, forgot to mention that.
I can visualize Elizabeth Diana Catherine....
heres a suggestion - what about PFfff

haaa

Bora Da!
El whats the other word u added mean? sorry, i saw it yesterday but im not in the mood to go hunting. im really bad with that, i gotta admit i skim thru these posts.
lazy. heee

QUINN,

lots of snow there.. better u than me! lol
just teasing ya.
that stupid groundhog, every once in awhile he likes to get even with the crazy humans. haaa

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Manchester, UK

#23905 Mar 7, 2013
PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
heres a suggestion - what about PFfff
haaa
Bora Da!
El whats the other word u added mean? sorry, i saw it yesterday but im not in the mood to go hunting. im really bad with that, i gotta admit i skim thru these posts.
lazy. heee
QUINN,
lots of snow there.. better u than me! lol
just teasing ya.
that stupid groundhog, every once in awhile he likes to get even with the crazy humans. haaa
Nah.....now Pretty Feet might be in the running..

Cariad is an endearment...means Love...in Manchester (lol) we address friends as 'love'

I'm waiting for someone to tell me shut up about Manchester.. hahaha

a chi means to you but I am not sure on the spelling sounds like a key

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

#23906 Mar 7, 2013
Re 'CAIRDE'

from Google >

"cairde" means "friendship, relation" in Irish Gaelic.

It may be that people are using this in place of "caraid", which is
"friend", i.e. they are addressing each other by their relation to
the other person rather than by the (relational) title of the other
persons

might be of use to the topic in hand.

Level 3

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#23907 Mar 7, 2013
Flower-Child wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Franko ... yep, just a kid being a kid ... and how loyal his pup being patient and waiting for him ... I love that video ... if you don't remember which video I'm referring to, here's a reminder, lol ... Enjoy your day, Franko! <3 ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =aQUodFgCkC8XX
Hello FC,
This video was amazing and made my morning! It so reminded me of our son with our golden retriever Sarah. She would stay by his side no matter what just to keep him safe. This actually looks a lot like our son when he was little. Made me cry and smile at the same time. He's 22 now.
Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful day!
Peace and love always.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#23908 Mar 7, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah.....now Pretty Feet might be in the running..
Cariad is an endearment...means Love...in Manchester (lol) we address friends as 'love'
I'm waiting for someone to tell me shut up about Manchester.. hahaha
a chi means to you but I am not sure on the spelling sounds like a key
Good morning El and all in the kitchen :) Going to be 70 here in Dallas

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 5 min Sublime1 25,436
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 6 min Life after Love 112
A To Z Of Movies (Sep '12) 9 min Chilli J 4,309
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 9 min Dogen 131,777
why is geno stalking 19 min Fashion Consultant 15
The BIZARRE reasons why men rape in India 19 min Shushant 1,043
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 20 min Mega Monster 7,476
Merry Christmas Topix, Thanks For,...? 26 min _Evil-_-Bill_ 69
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 42 min _hellbilly_ 152,344
True or False Game 1 hr Princess Hey 1,241