Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

I still have not had the chance to see the movie Lincoln....but a few facts emerged connecting President Lincoln to my home city of Manchester,
Lancashire, England which I only recently became aware of.

I wondered if anybody might care to read about it, although it is a tad lengthy.

http://www.manchester.com/features/manchester...

I copied this extract...

"And so those that could afford the fare made their way to Liverpool and thence to a new life in the land of the free, the truly free (when compared to the feudal society still prevalent in Britain at that time).

With them they took a name - Manchester. Because Manchester, like Lincoln's brave new world, stood for freedom of speech, freedom of thought, freedom of trade and freedom to aspire.
It seems, as the old saying goes, that `you can take people out of Manchester but you can't take Manchester out of the people'."

“Lazy Hazy Days of Summer”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Anyone with an interest in history....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21057494

“TEXAS ... SECEDE”

Since: Feb 08

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Flower....so glad to see you in the kitchen..swiping a duster over
the best seat at the table..and brewing a fresh cup of coffee for
y'all...have missed you more than you would think. Your garden/yard
sounds a real splash of colour, must be warmer there than over here, although yesterday was a bonus, with temps as high as 60F..lol. Much as I love the Winter, it has taken it out on a lot of folk...but, Spring is on the way...it's looking good.
Couldn't help but notice you appear to have acquired the property next door....how interesting, glad it all went through to your satisfaction Flower.
Sending my love across the pond, EL <3..
Yes, I took photos of all the greenery of my plants outside and they're on FaceBook ... and the newly acquired property next door ... I have no neighbors across the way; Jax and PoohBear have a nice park all to themselves ...it's all fenced in and very nice ... We've had no winter to speak of and it's been very nice here ... IDK if that's a sign we'll have another brutal summer, yikes! Hope not ... can't have everything, I suppose, lol ... The electrician is here taking out the old ceiling fan, replacing it with the new ... performing other odd jobs as well ... must supervise so shall call it a short one today, Lady El ... Lovely to see you, my friend ... Hope you, P & the kittens are all well! Much Love, FC <3 ...

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Newquay, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

franko wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for the excellent summation on this subject. It is amazing to think that there were no more overthrows over the centuries...
WHen did England become England and when was the first King actually crowned?
Crikey, now you're opening a can of worms, for there isn't a "right" answer to this one! England was a series of kingdoms up until the beginning of the tenth century - some Anglo-Saxon in origin, some Viking, some in the west Celtic. The first monarch to subdue all the English area was Athelstan in 927 AD. Thus, he can be regarded as the first King of England. However, as far as I am aware, he was never formally crowned as that, only as King of the Saxons in 924 AD. I can find no record for his successor being crowned, only being proclaimed King. Some of his successors failed to hold the kingdom together at times.

The first King of England that I can find with a date of coronation is Edwy in 956 at Kingston-upon-Thames. Subsequent kings of the period were also crowned there.

The first to be crowned in Westminster Abbey, where all monarchs after him were crowned, was William I in 1066.

Here's a link which may help - I fear I'm not a Medievalist, so may have missed some information:
http://www.royal.gov.uk/HistoryoftheMonarchy/...
Krypteia

Brighton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Crikey, now you're opening a can of worms, for there isn't a "right" answer to this one! England was a series of kingdoms up until the beginning of the tenth century - some Anglo-Saxon in origin, some Viking, some in the west Celtic. The first monarch to subdue all the English area was Athelstan in 927 AD. Thus, he can be regarded as the first King of England. However, as far as I am aware, he was never formally crowned as that, only as King of the Saxons in 924 AD. I can find no record for his successor being crowned, only being proclaimed King. Some of his successors failed to hold the kingdom together at times.
The first King of England that I can find with a date of coronation is Edwy in 956 at Kingston-upon-Thames. Subsequent kings of the period were also crowned there.
The first to be crowned in Westminster Abbey, where all monarchs after him were crowned, was William I in 1066.
Here's a link which may help - I fear I'm not a Medievalist, so may have missed some information:
http://www.royal.gov.uk/HistoryoftheMonarchy/...
I think most would say the first famous Saxon king was Alfred but like you say there were smaller kingdoms and inter wars until the Vikings came.think Alfred if memory serves took his small army and rebuilt it as such in the marshes.
If you like fiction books Bernard Cornwall doe's a good line from the age of Arthur to later saxon stories.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Bora Da Cariad!
Yeah, the new baby being the one that Wills and Kate are expecting,
apparently it is to be a little girl as Kate let slip when she met some people offering her gifts yesterday on a walk about, she said 'I will have that for my D...' then quickly hushed up laughing.
I was in a bakery on Anglesey the day of Diana's funeral, and nobody
made any mention of it, so I said 'sad day isn't it'...and they all just turned around and shrugged...
I would have thought on compassionate grounds at least, even if they don't like was the royal family stand for. As you say, she was very much an individual, and to die so young was a tragedy.
Wonder if the new baby will be named after her late Grandmother.
I believe William to be as much of an individual as he can get away with, I would hope that she does carry on her Gran's name.
I agree, you have to retain your individuality otherwise you are swallowed up, lost.
Anyway, you can be sure that I will fly a British flag on the day the new babe is born....come and bail me out if it goes wrong! lol
:)
i kinda think babies should have their own name. espcially if that parents name is crappy. lol
well thats how i thought, until i had my son, my hubbys name is "different" so i never liked it, didnt even want to go out with him at first. lol - anyway, the day we left and i filled out the birth cert. i put the name we agreed on and at the last minute added my husbands name for the middle one. lol
i just had too, his only son and all that...

when i told my husband this at home, he tried to act annoyed but i know he was one proud papa. lol

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
i kinda think babies should have their own name. espcially if that parents name is crappy. lol
well thats how i thought, until i had my son, my hubbys name is "different" so i never liked it, didnt even want to go out with him at first. lol - anyway, the day we left and i filled out the birth cert. i put the name we agreed on and at the last minute added my husbands name for the middle one. lol
when i told my husband this at home, he tried to act annoyed but i know he was one proud papa. lol
LOL That is a good story Darlin
Krypteia

Brighton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
Made sure my boy had a good name unlike the fairy name I was given,Denny don't you tell,lol

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>Made sure my boy had a good name unlike the fairy name I was given,Denny don't you tell,lol
It is important that a child have a good name :)

“Hey, Sarge!”

Level 2

Since: Dec 10

The Milky Way

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>It is important that a child have a good name :)
There is a joke here and I won't go there...
Had a taste of Peking Duck this afternoon...
Fair, I can do better! Duck with orange glaze with Grand Marnier, big yum!

I did Cornish Hens that way. Toooo yummy!!!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Flower-Child wrote:
Quinny, Pfttt >>waves<<
Hey there FC! Hope you're doing well and enjoying what appears to be some pleasant TX weather.

Been thing of you and your brood there. They are amazing companionship, smart as a whip & funny as all heck.

....and my two love the snow!

Cheers doll!
<3

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>You might regret! lol

Ali digs holes everywhere!!!(:
Long as she's to big to get under the fence. When the beagle was a pup she managed to do just that. Could have gotten lost in the forest or come out on the losing end of a fight with a coyote. Fortunately we nabbed her, the little rascal!!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>Long as she's to big to get under the fence. When the beagle was a pup she managed to do just that. Could have gotten lost in the forest or come out on the losing end of a fight with a coyote. Fortunately we nabbed her, the little rascal!!
** too big :-)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Questions El....I'm asking here 'cause you mentioned problems with your email. And please forgive my ignorance if I should know better.....

Is your PC the same as what's available in the US? Like Windows or a Mac or something?

Yes it's 'a global village' but I understand your electrical outlets are not necessarily the same as here so I'm not sure what's "different".

Do your printers use the same size paper as here? Maybe not since the US never went metric.

Ha! I just learned you'll need A4 Avery card stock!! Will explain soon. You'll be hearing from me.

Not my fault we here have a superiority complex and refused to go metric !
;-)

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
May have better prepared for this so we'll see. Glad I was told to work from home yesterday!
I'm sure you didn't object to not commuting?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Bora Da Cariad!
Yeah, the new baby being the one that Wills and Kate are expecting,
apparently it is to be a little girl as Kate let slip when she met some people offering her gifts yesterday on a walk about, she said 'I will have that for my D...' then quickly hushed up laughing.
I was in a bakery on Anglesey the day of Diana's funeral, and nobody
made any mention of it, so I said 'sad day isn't it'...and they all just turned around and shrugged...
I would have thought on compassionate grounds at least, even if they don't like was the royal family stand for. As you say, she was very much an individual, and to die so young was a tragedy.
Wonder if the new baby will be named after her late Grandmother.
I believe William to be as much of an individual as he can get away with, I would hope that she does carry on her Gran's name.
I agree, you have to retain your individuality otherwise you are swallowed up, lost.
Anyway, you can be sure that I will fly a British flag on the day the new babe is born....come and bail me out if it goes wrong! lol
personaly I'm not sure it would be fair to name her after Dianna as their is a certain one-on-one uniqueness of the relatoinship between Dianna and the world and I think it would be unfair to this child to somehow always be compared to her... I think think she would always be in the shadow of her grandmother.

Now, if they used Dianna as a middle name that would be great.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Working backwards from your post, I think that rodent in Pennsylvania lied! He said earlier spring didn't he?
I think pre-Vatican II saw a time when the church was the center of the community and family. People in Chicago identified themselves by the parish they were affiliated with.
There were nuns and priests in my family and often the parish priest came to dinner on Sunday. I think it was that sense of awe and reverence combined with the power of the church that left children and some women vulnerable to sexual abuse by pedophiles hiding behind the collar. One simply did not question or speak ill of the parish priest.
I agree with this comment, especially the last part about people being afraid to make an accusation of someone in a position that simply would not be questioned....

There is a trial that happened here recently ... a subsitute teacher, male in his 40's .. had been accused of sexual harrassement of some girls aged 8 to 12 ...

His defense argued that he simply was a warm person who would put his arm on a child's shoulder or between the shoulder blades as he spoke to them .... he claimed that anything beyond that was accidental based on the child moving at the same time causing unexpected contact.

I actually have not heard the verdict on the case, but let's presume he was 100% honest about his intentions?

It makes me wonder if the world has almost gone overboard with their microscope and taken even the slightest "over the line action" as being more than it really is?

I mean, is it wrong to give someone a freindly smile? Or is that immedialtely interpreted as lascivious? Is the world turning us into robots, emotionless being with no warmth?

One key thing .. this guy was from Russia where his defense claims, his actions were quite normal when and where he grew up.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Flower-Child wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, Franko ...
isn't that i-LOL?(pronounced Lawl)

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
we USA didn't rebel against the Crown and we rebelled against taxes with no voice....
our 1st 7 president were British citizens
German a second language , give thought how unlikely that was , as the hessins did the major fighting against the USA
and that the great Canadian realm is also pining to be French
good points where in one's head maybe
good points huh
so the 13 colonies said "hey, we love you Brits, we just hate your taxes, so we'll fight this war and have tens of thousands of deaths and claim independance and start our own country?

Hmmmm....

Actually there must have been many poeple with mixed feelings at the time ...

After all, most of the people who faught in the war were brits against brits,

Also, therefore, naturally the early presidents would have been from that heritage ...

As to the German, apparently I was the victem of a fairly common rumour .. I did a little more research and it looks like it wasn't ever seriosuly considered .. but there are articles and websites that talk about this.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Nite Chatter I see, Love some... French Roast coffee and a slice of Lemon Cake..thank you, El..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 23,481 - 23,500 of34,791
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••