Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
i gotta agree, it Is a question many people "outside" have asked.
i think we tend to think of the Queen more as a "figure head" type person rather than a ruler of such. so many times ive heard others say that this is just another rich family who have managed to hold onto a traditon - simply because of just that - tradition.
so i totally understand where u franko are coming from, its just how some of the outside world tends to view the old ways, ways that we may not understand simply because we dont live the same ones.
we in the US also question our own leader, as many other people do with their own. so nothing new there, its questions that make the world go round, makes changes possible. sometimes for the good and sometimes not so much.
i dont personally believe talking about it is disrespectful, and i definitely didnt see anything that u said point to a wish for the Queen to pass on...
so it really comes down to is this kitchen an "open discussion place" feel free to give ur opinions on any matter or is it not?
lots of "subjects" may feel too sensitive to tackle, and if it is for someone it might be better to skip over that particular one.
i myself have learned it saves a lot of unnecessary grief..
just my opinion - carry on all u good people!
Bora Da!
thank you for your comments.

I think between your post and what Kryptia siad a few posts back, it definityl shows that if you are not living in that society, as an outsider, we are fed a different point of view ...

Here we elect a leader and he is gone in 4 or 8 years. We cannot build the attachment that goes with generations of a family being in a highly respected position and holding to the responsibilities from a young age right until their last days.

Also in these days I think many things are more jaded... whoever was the president of the USA I think was treated with far more respect just 20 years ago.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
You must'nt give it another thought Franko....it's completely understandable how it wouldn't be of much interest in Canada.
Yet funnily enough, it was from the Canadian Press that I got the information this morning that the Queen had been released from hospital. Did I ever mention how impressed we were that Prince William and Catherine were so well received on their visit to Canada? Seems to belie your claim of little impact, don 't it?
There is definitly a portion of the Canadian population that still takes their old ties to Britain and the Monarchy very seriously .... so when you see the streets of a city lined with fans waving at the QUeen or Prince as they drive by, what you see is the 50,000 or so in that city that are of that attitude. Unfortunatley a far greater portion wonder why we still have the link.

One thing I was going to mention in my post to Pffft .. was a possibly historical influence to attitudes in North America ... that the USA, in their infancy, rebelled against the British and the monarchy and I believe strong anti-British sentiment lingered due to that and spilled over into Canada. I believe that driving on the right side of the road was part of that rebellion. ANd different spelling of words. I heard that German was considered as a possible official language when the USA became independant ... I believe also a as sign of rejection of the British rule over the former colonies.

So some of our attitudes may be a subliminal influence due to that history.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Pope (whoever is sitting in that role) is by far not a figured head. He is the 'it' man, he is infallible as to his decisions for Roman Catholics, teachings, and tenets.
Don't get me wrong, the scandals and cover ups ..... that's beyond sinful and the responsibility should fall squarely with the sitting Pope --- John Paul covered up a lot. The Pope is the rule maker and translator of the the Bible.
because of the role he plays, the Pope is probably held to a higher standard than anyone else .. he simply cannot be allowed to have any shortcomings.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Historically, only two monarchs of this country have voluntarily stepped aside before death - Matilda (daughter of Henry I) the rightful heir was usurped by her cousin Stephen when Henry died in 1135. This led to a war in which Stephen was defeated and captured by Matilda, but London rose in revolt against her, so in exchange for her son becoming the next heir, she stepped aside for Stephen. The other was Edward VIII in 1936 over Wallis Simpson.
Other monarchs met untimely ends. Edward II was deposed by his wife, Isabella of France in Jan 1327 and ultimately killed at Berkeley Castle in Sept 1327, probably by the insertion of a red hot poker in his anus. Technically, he remained king, although an imprisoned one, until this happened. Richard III was defeated by Henry Tudor in 1485, but as he was killed at the battle (Bosworth Field), he was king until his death. Charles I was executed by Parliament in 1649, but remained king until his death. James II was overthrown in 1688 and fled the country, to be replaced by William of Orange and Mary.
Often those from other countries (and a few in England) suggest that the monarch should step aside, or that the succession should bypass Charles. Neither will happen. There is no precident for it and it would not be set. Cameron has already made an arse of himself over saying that primogeniture should go and women should join the line of succession - it is causing all sorts of problems.
Thanks for the excellent summation on this subject. It is amazing to think that there were no more overthrows over the centuries...

WHen did England become England and when was the first King actually crowned?

“Choices!”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

franko wrote:
<quoted text>There is definitly a portion of the Canadian population that still takes their old ties to Britain and the Monarchy very seriously .... so when you see the streets of a city lined with fans waving at the QUeen or Prince as they drive by, what you see is the 50,000 or so in that city that are of that attitude. Unfortunatley a far greater portion wonder why we still have the link.
One thing I was going to mention in my post to Pffft .. was a possibly historical influence to attitudes in North America ... that the USA, in their infancy, rebelled against the British and the monarchy and I believe strong anti-British sentiment lingered due to that and spilled over into Canada. I believe that driving on the right side of the road was part of that rebellion. ANd different spelling of words. I heard that German was considered as a possible official language when the USA became independant ... I believe also a as sign of rejection of the British rule over the former colonies.
Thank you for that Franko..it makes complete sense to me, after all, we can't argue with History. Similar here to be truthful,
I was stunned at the lack of interest shown on the day of Diana's funeral..whereas in London there was mass hysteria from the crowds.
There will be no celebrating here when the new baby arrives....
yet Prince Charles is the Prince of Wales, inaugurated at Caernarfon Castle, but not without incident.
Goes back to when Edward 1st held his first born up to the crowds outside the castle, declaring 'I give you my son, the Prince of Wales'....having built the castle to keep the Welsh out!
Aye, resentment runs deep here, one reason I admire Ireland so much in their welcoming Queen Elizabeth to their country.
Can't win 'em all, lol.

“Choices!”

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
9 inches (22.86 cm) snow out here by Midway airport where I grew up and not far from my house.
Just heard about this on Sky News....that's a lorra lorra snow
(as Cilla would say)!
Hope your roads are clear and it is safe to drive, take good care.

“Choices!”

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>El that was unkind of you but then again they were awfully good :)
I won't tell you that you pressed it on me...not that I needed
much persuasion, delish.

“Choices!”

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Brighteyes9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good evening Lady El. Big hopes for ManU this evening. Our Hot Times Festival is September 6,7 and 8th. You gave me chills when you asked, I only wish you could be here with us!!!! I truly think you would enjoy every moment. Sounds like your babies are enjoying the sun, I can tell you that anytime we have the sun shining through the windows the babies seem to find that very spot on the floor to sun bath. LOL
Have a wonderful evening and go ManU!!!!!!
Lots of love always.
Good Morning BE...and thanks...sadly were knocked out of
the Champions league by Real Madrid, but it was an exciting
match, enjoyed watching Ronaldo, a former United player, he
scored for Real but played it down, because o his former link
with Man U.
Don't our babies just love the sun. So nice just to have
two...we came here with three....it just escalated, but I
have rehomed more than I care to count, all thrown out from one source. Today they are reluctant to step foot out, as it
is threatening rain and overcast....myself, I shall be going out soon as I have some conifers in pots to sort out...
It is quite safe at the back for them to go out, no road, just a stream oer which there is waste ground and a slate mountain..
so plenty of places to explore.
Hope you are affected by the snow we just saw on the tv...
Have a great day,
Love and Peace...<3

“Choices!”

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Good grief! I just glanced at my previous post and that should have read 'I hope you are NOT affected by the snow...'
Sorry 'bout that.

Good Morning Everyone. Bit on the chilly side here but nothing in compariosn to the mid-west obviously.

Have worked on three conifers so seven to go.....

taken out the top layer of soil and replaced with fresh compost and granular feed, watered well in.
TMI!
So what are you all doing today?....:)

“April”

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

eleanorigby wrote:
Good grief! I just glanced at my previous post and that should have read 'I hope you are NOT affected by the snow...'
Sorry 'bout that.
Good Morning Everyone. Bit on the chilly side here but nothing in compariosn to the mid-west obviously.
Have worked on three conifers so seven to go.....
taken out the top layer of soil and replaced with fresh compost and granular feed, watered well in.
TMI!
So what are you all doing today?....:)
Speaking of conifers,

I finally planted the little
Xmas tree, I spoke of here recently;

transferred it to a big pot with plenty
rich feeding soil..

It doesn't seem to feel embarrassed that, eventho'
Easter is round the corner, and it is a little Christmas tree(:
it's blooming perfectly, and it's little top point
where the star goes, boasts of a healthy vivid Spring green!

On another subject,

did you know YOU have
something in common with the last Pope> Benedict,
it is said he LOVES
cats, he has two! one named Chico,
the other, a stray he had picked up from the streets!

Someone wrote, it isn't true to say
the POPE loves cats;
he "ADORES"
them(:

Good day to everyone here:

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

franko wrote:
<quoted text>There is definitly a portion of the Canadian population that still takes their old ties to Britain and the Monarchy very seriously .... so when you see the streets of a city lined with fans waving at the QUeen or Prince as they drive by, what you see is the 50,000 or so in that city that are of that attitude. Unfortunatley a far greater portion wonder why we still have the link.

Interesting and valid points. Had not considered the historical influences.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>Just heard about this on Sky News....that's a lorra lorra snow
(as Cilla would say)!
Hope your roads are clear and it is safe to drive, take good care.
May have better prepared for this so we'll see. Glad I was told to work from home yesterday!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>Speaking of conifers,

rich feeding soil..

On another subject,

did you know YOU have
it is said he LOVES

the POPE loves cats;
he "ADORES"
them(:

You have such a green thumb Grace. Can I hire you as my landscaper?
:)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Apparently that superbug has crossed the pond.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am non practicing myself and would not call myself a Catholic. I was merely pointing out that as to religion, the Pope is not merely a figurehead irrespective of everything we hold against the men who run the church. He is THE guy and the next best thing to Jesus Christ as far as the faithful and the teachings go.
I have a minimal understanding of the blending of the British monarchy & parliament. I think the Prime Minister consults with the Queen but I may be wrong.
As far as world and organized religion leaders go, I don't believe any of them are mere 'figure heads' to serve only in the purpose of generating tourism. I think heads of state rule as does the Pope and and their counterparts.
when i was a kid my grandmother came to live with us for awhile, and she was really big on welcoming the priest in our parish, someone would stop by to bless our household once a month and chit chat, i swore they would come around simply for the wine that she would have for them. lol - j/k
but i remember her always saying - the day u cant trust a man of God is the day u know the devil has taken over the world. or something to that effect.. i think if she could see whats happening within the church today, she would probably roll over in her grave.
then it makes me wonder how disappointed in me would she be with my way of thinking today, she really believed in the church and its teachings, followed it to the T - and so would any of this shake "her" faith? i find it all so depressing because i want to be more like her, i dont want to have doubts, but i wonder if those days were just a simpler time, and is today the reality of what has always been there, lurking in the background of faith itself...

oh well, maybe next year i'll feel different, theres always hope. lol

Quinn, see theres another storm in ur direction, dont know how u feel about that but... Think Spring! lol
have a good day, be safe out there.

“Choices!”

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of conifers,
rich feeding soil..
On another subject,
did you know YOU have
it is said he LOVES
the POPE loves cats;
he "ADORES"
them(:
'Morning Grace.....interesting to know, I am sure as an individual
he is a really nice person. I wish him well in his retirement and
also admire his reasons for doing so, which I believe were the
only way he could rid the Vatican of a certain element.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for that Franko..it makes complete sense to me, after all, we can't argue with History. Similar here to be truthful,
I was stunned at the lack of interest shown on the day of Diana's funeral..whereas in London there was mass hysteria from the crowds.
There will be no celebrating here when the new baby arrives....
yet Prince Charles is the Prince of Wales, inaugurated at Caernarfon Castle, but not without incident.
Goes back to when Edward 1st held his first born up to the crowds outside the castle, declaring 'I give you my son, the Prince of Wales'....having built the castle to keep the Welsh out!
Aye, resentment runs deep here, one reason I admire Ireland so much in their welcoming Queen Elizabeth to their country.
Can't win 'em all, lol.
El - what do u mean there will be no celebrating the new baby arrival? why?
im curious...
i think more people than u would think were shocked and interested in the death of Diana. and i think it was because she was so young and really was much more in the public eye than any other ones there. but for some reason she seemed to become more of a celebrity figure, which in my thinking means she never Really got the Kind of respect that she deserved. now the family respect wasnt there either but u know how families can be.. lol
the thing is she seemed to do her own thing anyway, which always made me smile...
i like that kind of thing, IMO that alone makes any person command respect.

Bora Da!

“Choices!”

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have such a green thumb Grace. Can I hire you as my landscaper?
I'll do it...do I get full board and pocket money and carte
blanche to buy as many plants as I want!....:)

“Choices!”

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
when i was a kid my grandmother came to live with us for awhile, and she was really big on welcoming the priest in our parish, someone would stop by to bless our household once a month and chit chat, i swore they would come around simply for the wine that she would have for them. lol - j/k
but i remember her always saying - the day u cant trust a man of God is the day u know the devil has taken over the world. or something to that effect.. i think if she could see whats happening within the church today, she would probably roll over in her grave.
then it makes me wonder how disappointed in me would she be with my way of thinking today, she really believed in the church and its teachings, followed it to the T - and so would any of this shake "her" faith? i find it all so depressing because i want to be more like her, i dont want to have doubts, but i wonder if those days were just a simpler time, and is today the reality of what has always been there, lurking in the background of faith itself...
oh well, maybe next year i'll feel different, theres always hope. lol
Quinn, see theres another storm in ur direction, dont know how u feel about that but... Think Spring! lol
have a good day, be safe out there.
cutting in PFfff and Good Morning...
It's hard to have one's faith shaken as we have of late....
I am sure it is of some consolation to you to know that your
Grandmother kept her faith in the church until the end.
That is a blessing in itself for such a good Catholic as she was.
I think you must be like her to have it hurt you so much, you
are carrying the pain for her generation who were spared the knowledge.
Hey....have a great day, have you got snow in NJ...my introduction
to American winters! lol

“Choices!”

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
El - what do u mean there will be no celebrating the new baby arrival? why?
im curious...
i think more people than u would think were shocked and interested in the death of Diana. and i think it was because she was so young and really was much more in the public eye than any other ones there. but for some reason she seemed to become more of a celebrity figure, which in my thinking means she never Really got the Kind of respect that she deserved. now the family respect wasnt there either but u know how families can be.. lol
the thing is she seemed to do her own thing anyway, which always made me smile...
i like that kind of thing, IMO that alone makes any person command respect.
Bora Da!
Bora Da Cariad!
Yeah, the new baby being the one that Wills and Kate are expecting,
apparently it is to be a little girl as Kate let slip when she met some people offering her gifts yesterday on a walk about, she said 'I will have that for my D...' then quickly hushed up laughing.
I was in a bakery on Anglesey the day of Diana's funeral, and nobody
made any mention of it, so I said 'sad day isn't it'...and they all just turned around and shrugged...
I would have thought on compassionate grounds at least, even if they don't like was the royal family stand for. As you say, she was very much an individual, and to die so young was a tragedy.
Wonder if the new baby will be named after her late Grandmother.
I believe William to be as much of an individual as he can get away with, I would hope that she does carry on her Gran's name.
I agree, you have to retain your individuality otherwise you are swallowed up, lost.
Anyway, you can be sure that I will fly a British flag on the day the new babe is born....come and bail me out if it goes wrong! lol

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 23,441 - 23,460 of33,447
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

272 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 5 min Princess Hey 131,677
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 6 min Jennifer Renee 4,369
Word Association (Mar '10) 7 min Jennifer Renee 14,479
Chicago, Illinois; A place with a personality l... 8 min Unhappy in Chicagoland 82
clark county nevada rancher facing tyranny from... 12 min Chilli J 276
**** The Wishing Well**** (Mar '13) 13 min honeymylove 1,416
Lets Ask Billy R! (May '12) 14 min Harrison Freebird 2,262
If you HAD to marry someone on TOPIX, who would... 24 min honeymylove 108
Why is pops posting the same lies about Chatty ... 34 min Marysville Ohio 32
•••
•••
•••
•••