“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#23769 Mar 4, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>Absolutely. Oliver had to wear one when he was shot to prevent
him aggravating his eye...or at least, his eye socket.
I am keeping a close eye on Bailey, he is also on anti-biotics
and eating like a little horse.
A good appetite after surgery is always a positive sign.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#23770 Mar 4, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>They had pork shoulders for $1.29 a pound. I bought 2 and put one in the freezer. I put it in the smoker and then the slow cooker. Best pulled pork sandwiches you can imagine :)
Yum! When done right they are delish and surprisingly a lot of places up here can't seem to do it right.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#23771 Mar 4, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>EL .. I am very sorry, I guess I did no realize how sensitive the British are on this subject ... on this side of the pond it really would not have such impact.
please only speak for yourself , we of the elders , know what tradition is and why it is...
Krypteia

Hove, UK

#23772 Mar 5, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>Do you believe in the idea that the Queen remain in control until she passes away/ Or should she step aside for her son considering her age and health?
Do you think her son will make a good KIng? If so maybe sooner is better than later?
Not a subject I would talk about whilst her Majesty is unwell,but as thank god she,s on the mend I will answer in my opinion.
Personally her Majesty should stay queen until her last breath,if in very I'll health such as good old king George had a couple of hundred years back we had the prince regent as in Charles as such would take a lot of the responsibility until the time of kingship...I think Charles has some good qualities some don't like him because he's out spoken but arn't we all,I personally think he's to be out spoken with these cretins that run Westminster at times.
I like the young princes and so do the younger generation and two fine young men that have and are serving their country,and again unlike the cowardly politician cretins in Westminster..

A very good day to all ,hope you do we'll tonight El..

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

#23773 Mar 5, 2013
Brighteyes9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Morning Lady El.....Thank you for checking out the festival. Your kind words are very appreciated. I have asked our friend to send me a copy of the photo he has of us and as soon as I receive it, I will send it to you. I had a great day and our babies greeted me at the door as usual. Our one tuxedo cat always says mama when I come home and reaches up for me to hold him like a baby! LOL He is so adorable. I hope this finds your babies getting better. Best wishes to the Queen Mother always.
I am quite envious of your daffodils being up, we only have crocus up. Hope you have a wonderful Tuesday!
Lots of peace & love always.
If I may butt in to say

What a very lovely description about the
'tuxedo cat'(:

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

#23774 Mar 5, 2013
I don't think Franko meant any harm,
'not knowing the running'

and is indeed refreshing to see how
British Royalty are treated,
with honour and respect..

I know OBAMA, the 'head man' in the USA
and his lady wife aren't royalty,
nevertheless he holds the highest Office
in the [USA] land,
and, if Topix is anything to go by,
in some places [NOT ALL] he.. and his wife are spoken
of the the MOST appalling terms.

Interesting to note that difference:

Now, a related subject,
who thinks the present Pope was right to
step down, due to ill health, thereby breaking a 600 year tradition
in the Vatican..

or should a POPE carry on to the bitter end?

Would be interested in opinions re this subject..

For my money, I think he made the right decision..
I'm in
100% agreement..

Finally,
wishing HM a full and speedy recovery,
Britain/Ireland have had our differences,
historically [as we know]

but when Queen Elizabeth came to visit here
relatively recently,
she was a HUGE HIT, and people grew to
love her...
and still do!

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#23775 Mar 5, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>Hmmm .. I guess I didn't think it was all that disrepecful to ask this , it was only a question and not a wish for anyone to die ... it could have and has been asked by many people as much as a decade ago ...
Is the tradition that the monarch stays on as long as they live? Regardless of age and ability to perform their functions?
i gotta agree, it Is a question many people "outside" have asked.
i think we tend to think of the Queen more as a "figure head" type person rather than a ruler of such. so many times ive heard others say that this is just another rich family who have managed to hold onto a traditon - simply because of just that - tradition.
so i totally understand where u franko are coming from, its just how some of the outside world tends to view the old ways, ways that we may not understand simply because we dont live the same ones.

we in the US also question our own leader, as many other people do with their own. so nothing new there, its questions that make the world go round, makes changes possible. sometimes for the good and sometimes not so much.
i dont personally believe talking about it is disrespectful, and i definitely didnt see anything that u said point to a wish for the Queen to pass on...

so it really comes down to is this kitchen an "open discussion place" feel free to give ur opinions on any matter or is it not?
lots of "subjects" may feel too sensitive to tackle, and if it is for someone it might be better to skip over that particular one.
i myself have learned it saves a lot of unnecessary grief..

just my opinion - carry on all u good people!
Bora Da!

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#23776 Mar 5, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
in the [USA] land,
Now, a related subject,
in the Vatican..
I'm in
100% agreement..
Finally,
relatively recently,
love her...
and still do!
another subject "we" in my own real friends and family have been discussing is the Pope - seems many people feel he also is more like a figurehead type person, when the question of whether we have a leader at this present moment (because of his leaving) comes up - thats what ive been hearing from others - hes just a figurehead...

i dont know, actually dont care either. lol
but all kidding aside, i think if the reason he left was because of health issues, then more power to him, he needs to take that into consideration for himself and as head of the church. so then, i think he did it for the good of all.
but there is another rumor going on as to the sex scandal within the church and His roll in all of it.. there is a documentary thats going to be shown call Mea Maxima Culpa (not sure of the spelling) that i intend to watch. ive seen little pieces of it already, and what ive seen really has me questioning the church and my faith. and definitely not in a good way.

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

#23777 Mar 5, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>EL .. I am very sorry, I guess I did no realize how sensitive the British are on this subject ... on this side of the pond it really would not have such impact.
You must'nt give it another thought Franko....it's completely understandable how it wouldn't be of much interest in Canada.
Yet funnily enough, it was from the Canadian Press that I got the information this morning that the Queen had been released from hospital. Did I ever mention how impressed we were that Prince William and Catherine were so well received on their visit to Canada? Seems to belie your claim of little impact, don 't it?

“It's SNOWTIME!”

Since: Jun 06

Manchester, UK

#23778 Mar 5, 2013
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>Not a subject I would talk about whilst her Majesty is unwell,but as thank god she,s on the mend I will answer in my opinion.
Personally her Majesty should stay queen until her last breath,if in very I'll health such as good old king George had a couple of hundred years back we had the prince regent as in Charles as such would take a lot of the responsibility until the time of kingship...I think Charles has some good qualities some don't like him because he's out spoken but arn't we all,I personally think he's to be out spoken with these cretins that run Westminster at times.
I like the young princes and so do the younger generation and two fine young men that have and are serving their country,and again unlike the cowardly politician cretins in Westminster..
A very good day to all ,hope you do we'll tonight El..
Krypteia...just wanted to apologise for jumping in on a post addressed to yourself....couldn't help myself, lol,'sides which I was on the spot as it were.
Am due in town in half an hour so in a bit of rush just now, so off for now and thanks for the well wishes for tonight's game.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#23779 Mar 5, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:

in the [USA] land,

Now, a related subject,
in the Vatican..

I'm in
100% agreement..

Finally,

relatively recently,
love her...
and still do!
As to Pope Benedict, while I am no longer practicing Catholic, I must say I was shocked to hear of his resignation and the timing of it could not have been worse.

I'm wavering in my thought as to whether it the "right" thing. I understand your point Grace about health. At the same time to tie in with our discussion on tradition, traditionally the Pope served for life.

What's really amazing to me and I admire how long the Queen has served. I think she's met with US Presidents going as far back as FDR. Wow!

Level 3

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#23780 Mar 5, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
If I may butt in to say
What a very lovely description about the
'tuxedo cat'(:
Thank you lovely Grace for the comment. He's a mama's boy more so than any other cat I ever had.
I hope you and yours are well and you have a wonderful day!
Peace and Love!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#23781 Mar 5, 2013
PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>another subject "we" in my own real friends and family have been discussing is the Pope - seems many people feel he also is more like a figurehead type person, when the question of whether we have a leader at this present moment (because of his leaving) comes up - thats what ive been hearing from others - hes just a figurehead...

but all kidding aside, i think if the reason he left was because of health issues, then more power to him, he needs to take that into consideration for himself and as head of the church. so then, i think he did it for the good of all.
but there is another rumor going on as to the sex scandal within the church and His roll in all of it.. there is a documentary thats going to be shown call Mea Maxima Culpa (not sure of the spelling) that i intend to watch. ive seen little pieces of it already, and what ive seen really has me questioning the church and my faith. and definitely not in a good way.
The Pope (whoever is sitting in that role) is by far not a figured head. He is the 'it' man, he is infallible as to his decisions for Roman Catholics, teachings, and tenets.

Don't get me wrong, the scandals and cover ups ..... that's beyond sinful and the responsibility should fall squarely with the sitting Pope --- John Paul covered up a lot. The Pope is the rule maker and translator of the the Bible.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#23782 Mar 5, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yum! When done right they are delish and surprisingly a lot of places up here can't seem to do it right.
Hard to mess them up in a slow cooker :)

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#23783 Mar 5, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
in the [USA] land,
Now, a related subject,
in the Vatican..
I'm in
100% agreement..
Finally,
relatively recently,
love her...
and still do!
I am very glad the Pope had the wisdom to step down :)

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#23784 Mar 5, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
in the [USA] land,
Now, a related subject,
in the Vatican..
I'm in
100% agreement..
Finally,
relatively recently,
love her...
and still do!
Obama just thinks he is a king :)

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#23785 Mar 5, 2013
PFfff wrote:
<quoted text>
another subject "we" in my own real friends and family have been discussing is the Pope - seems many people feel he also is more like a figurehead type person, when the question of whether we have a leader at this present moment (because of his leaving) comes up - thats what ive been hearing from others - hes just a figurehead...
Good morning PF and all who come to the kitchen :)

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Poole, UK

#23786 Mar 5, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>Hmmm .. I guess I didn't think it was all that disrepecful to ask this , it was only a question and not a wish for anyone to die ... it could have and has been asked by many people as much as a decade ago ...
Is the tradition that the monarch stays on as long as they live? Regardless of age and ability to perform their functions?
Historically, only two monarchs of this country have voluntarily stepped aside before death - Matilda (daughter of Henry I) the rightful heir was usurped by her cousin Stephen when Henry died in 1135. This led to a war in which Stephen was defeated and captured by Matilda, but London rose in revolt against her, so in exchange for her son becoming the next heir, she stepped aside for Stephen. The other was Edward VIII in 1936 over Wallis Simpson.

Other monarchs met untimely ends. Edward II was deposed by his wife, Isabella of France in Jan 1327 and ultimately killed at Berkeley Castle in Sept 1327, probably by the insertion of a red hot poker in his anus. Technically, he remained king, although an imprisoned one, until this happened. Richard III was defeated by Henry Tudor in 1485, but as he was killed at the battle (Bosworth Field), he was king until his death. Charles I was executed by Parliament in 1649, but remained king until his death. James II was overthrown in 1688 and fled the country, to be replaced by William of Orange and Mary.

Often those from other countries (and a few in England) suggest that the monarch should step aside, or that the succession should bypass Charles. Neither will happen. There is no precident for it and it would not be set. Cameron has already made an arse of himself over saying that primogeniture should go and women should join the line of succession - it is causing all sorts of problems.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Poole, UK

#23787 Mar 5, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
As to Pope Benedict, while I am no longer practicing Catholic, I must say I was shocked to hear of his resignation and the timing of it could not have been worse.
I'm wavering in my thought as to whether it the "right" thing. I understand your point Grace about health. At the same time to tie in with our discussion on tradition, traditionally the Pope served for life.
What's really amazing to me and I admire how long the Queen has served. I think she's met with US Presidents going as far back as FDR. Wow!
Indded she probably has, though not as Queen. Her father, George VI, died in 1952, so she didn't become Queen until seven years after FDR's death.

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

#23788 Mar 5, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Historically, only two monarchs of this country have voluntarily stepped aside before death - Matilda (daughter of Henry I) the rightful heir was usurped by her cousin Stephen when Henry died in 1135. This led to a war in which Stephen was defeated and captured by Matilda, but London rose in revolt against her, so in exchange for her son becoming the next heir, she stepped aside for Stephen. The other was Edward VIII in 1936 over Wallis Simpson.
Other monarchs met untimely ends. Edward II was deposed by his wife, Isabella of France in Jan 1327 and ultimately killed at Berkeley Castle in Sept 1327, probably by the insertion of a red hot poker in his anus. Technically, he remained king, although an imprisoned one, until this happened. Richard III was defeated by Henry Tudor in 1485, but as he was killed at the battle (Bosworth Field), he was king until his death. Charles I was executed by Parliament in 1649, but remained king until his death. James II was overthrown in 1688 and fled the country, to be replaced by William of Orange and Mary.
Often those from other countries (and a few in England) suggest that the monarch should step aside, or that the succession should bypass Charles. Neither will happen. There is no precident for it and it would not be set. Cameron has already made an arse of himself over saying that primogeniture should go and women should join the line of succession - it is causing all sorts of problems.
Nice bit o' history there, Tony.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
For Dear FlowerChild (Dec '07) 9 min Flower-Child 24,138
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 11 min Aura Mytha 133,031
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 12 min mr goodwrench 138,345
Word association (Jun '07) 15 min -CatCiao- 2,625
Change "1" letter =ONLY= (Oct '12) 15 min andet1987 4,250
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 15 min Jennifer Renee 7,634
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 17 min Tom2Tone 152,556
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 38 min -Lea- 25,758
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 1 hr Princess Hey 353
More from around the web