“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#23668 Mar 2, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
I am taking it that they are collars which emit an electric shock
when the dog barks...I could be completely wrong. I nearly said I could be barking up the wrong tree. LOL!
My opinion....the equivalent of Guantanamo Bay for canines!
hey Gitmo is a paradise. Free health care and dental. Most gain lots of weight and most who are relewased return to the battle field. Do you know how many have been added to Gitmo since Obama has been president? One, they don't make it off the battle field. 3 men were water boarded but it seems more humane to Obama to kill them on the battle field and I approve of that tactic

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#23669 Mar 2, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
HA HA! I think it advisable he wear clothes where he is
going from now on (goal) wouldn't you agree Sir Tally?!
well I can honestly some birthday suits could use a bit of pressing

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#23670 Mar 2, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>So now it is a federal crime for 2 men to call each other names :)
Only if they are politicians of opposing parties ;)

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#23671 Mar 2, 2013
Verbal abuse is the use of words to cause harm to the person being spoken to. It is difficult to define and may take many forms. Similarly, the harm caused is often difficult to measure. The most commonly understood form is name-calling. Verbal abuse may consist of shouting, insulting, intimidating, threatening, shaming, demeaning, or derogatory language, among other forms of communication.

Perpetrators of verbal abuse often misuse their authority and prey on those in a subordinate position. Victims of verbal abuse are often told they are to blame for the abuser's behavior and reluctant to take action to end the abuse. Verbal abuse may lead to stress, depression, physical ailments, and other damage.

“Living With A Grateful Heart”

Since: Jan 13

Counting Little Blessings

#23672 Mar 2, 2013
Hi Lady Eleanor...
I've heard of devocalization of dogs before but I think it is inhumane and would never be in favor of it for any reason..
Dogs can be trained out of barking.. Anything that eats can be trained... so having said that I'm still trying to convince my pack that not all noises are worth barking over.. They get the message but their instincts over ride my training at times..
When I put them to bed at night they are very quiet because they want a bedtime treat.. In the morning however they are all ready to get up and at the day... I can call them down when they bark at something they shouldn't and they will shut up..
Denny mentioned bark collars and they are an effective training method but it does involve shocking the animal and I'm not the person who could make that choice..
I go for the reward training system..
If they are good they get a treat.. if they have to be called down then they don't get treats..
They have all figured that out but like I said there are still times when they bark because instinct tells them it is what they are supposed to do...
I've lived here for going on 3 years and no one has ever made a complaint concerning barking or anything else about My Pack for that matter..
I hope that your day was a great one and that your night has been as good or better...
Sending You and Yours all of my best wishes...
((Love-n-Hugs))
@}-'--,---

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#23673 Mar 3, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Still not heard anything about this Franko, but not surprising
really as he is stationed at Valley and I often see Old
Yeller (the Air/Sea/ Rescue helicopter) flying over. I
watched them winch a fellow up from the where he had fallen on the mountain one day, they do a wonderful job.
It was aired just a week ago but I wonder if that was old footage? I thuoght it was current though ...

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

#23674 Mar 3, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
I think most decent pet owners are Grace and I
believe you subscribe to care2..so you may have
already signed the petition, I am sure you will
add your voice to the attempts to ban this practice.
In honesty, El,
I never heard of Care2, before you brought it to
my attention, and I'm very glad you did..

I will be diligent about adding my voice there ..also.
and thanks, El.

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

#23675 Mar 3, 2013
How different folks think,
and I know there are superb animal lovers here..
and indeed, on Offbeat in general, it must be said.

I've seen the most loving caring posts about
animals around Offbeat - KUDOS!
NO trolling on that subject LOL!

When I'm bringing my dog Ali to the river for
a swim, she knows ALL the landmarks, and understands what 'going to the river means' and near jumps out
of her fur coat with sheer excitement.. and starts
barking, whining and kinda chattering away all the way
there -
and .. rather than stop her chattering,
I let her continue to express herself, as we 'humans'
do, when talking to one another.

Some folks forget that.

Here's a gorgeous link..

Pardon if I put it here already,
[memory not as good as it was](:

Warmest greetings to all the regulars.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#23676 Mar 3, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:

a swim, she knows ALL the landmarks, and understands what 'going to the river means' and near jumps out
there -

Some folks forget that.

Here's a gorgeous link..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =k_Jzb0yWdcUXX

Back at you Grace. Have a wonderful day.

Animals are far smarter than humans give them credit. While their concept of time may or may not be in line with ours, they seem to remember body language cues and as you mentioned, words we routinely use. Conventional wisdom says it is best to use or two syllable words.

It certainly rings true with my two.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#23677 Mar 3, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
there -
Some folks forget that.
Here's a gorgeous link..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =k_Jzb0yWdcUXX
My bird dog Britt would go crazy when I took my shotgun out of the cabinet . He was always ready to hunt. My wife bought him for me and he was very expensive. I would never have spent that much. The first time I took him hunting it was in heavy brush and I lost sight of him for a long time. I called and called for him and I thought well there went a lot of money. I had given up when he came out of the brush with a quail in his mouth. He had been on point all that time and finally gave up on me and grabbed the bird :)

“near Halloween.”

Level 8

#23678 Mar 3, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Back at you Grace. Have a wonderful day.
Animals are far smarter than humans give them credit. While their concept of time may or may not be in line with ours, they seem to remember body language cues and as you mentioned, words we routinely use. Conventional wisdom says it is best to use or two syllable words.
It certainly rings true with my two.
Yes Indeed!
How right you are..
my 22 yr old grandson, advised me when training
her to.. ie 'give me the paw' use one sole word 'PAW!'..
say it clearly and firmly..
and YES that works perfectly,
as in a dog's world sentences confuse their thinking..

too many words(:

Hoping you are having a restful day.. RM
Krypteia

Hove, UK

#23679 Mar 3, 2013
tallyho wrote:
seriously East Sussex ????
Thanks mate,lol,I actually live in West Sussex and thought I'd heard of most places in the whole of the county but Playden?,going to look it up,I bet it's a very small hamlet in the sticks somewhere.Anyway El and hello all,got to go now as the mighty Spurs are about to kick off..

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#23680 Mar 3, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Indeed!
How right you are..
my 22 yr old grandson, advised me when training
her to.. ie 'give me the paw' use one sole word 'PAW!'..
say it clearly and firmly..
and YES that works perfectly,
as in a dog's world sentences confuse their thinking..
too many words(:
Hoping you are having a restful day.. RM
I am amazed at how well my poodles understand so much. Some things we used to spell but now they understand when you spell SNACK :)
Krypteia

Hove, UK

#23681 Mar 3, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop complaining K - after all, you're getting to see all those wonderful places for nothing!! Incidently, no idea where Playden is - perhaps topix invented it?!
lol.At least I'm back near enough in my neck of the woods this time,lol.thanks to Tally's information and I'm a Sussex man and hadn't heard of Playden and Tally across the pond had to let me know where it is,lol

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#23682 Mar 3, 2013
ah ha I believe we have a ..........

Looking for attention on Usenet

Makin' up fibs ev'ry night and day

And you never lost a minute of sleep
Worrying 'bout what others think
you say.

Phrases they keep on turning.
Flames gonna keep on burning.
Trolling
trolling

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#23683 Mar 3, 2013
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks mate,lol,I actually live in West Sussex and thought I'd heard of most places in the whole of the county but Playden?,going to look it up,I bet it's a very small hamlet in the sticks somewhere.Anyway El and hello all,got to go now as the mighty Spurs are about to kick off..
It is where those 8 sheep stand in the corner

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#23684 Mar 3, 2013
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks mate,lol,I actually live in West Sussex and thought I'd heard of most places in the whole of the county but Playden?,going to look it up,I bet it's a very small hamlet in the sticks somewhere.Anyway El and hello all,got to go now as the mighty Spurs are about to kick off..
it is incorporated ...

like here , officially we are Rochester.. but we are several townships incorporated to have a city .. like swillsburg [hogs]
dutchtown,bullshead etc etc

purpose of this is one police force/fire department/utilities etc etc

“....VETS”

Level 9

WELCOME HOME

#23685 Mar 3, 2013
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>lol.At least I'm back near enough in my neck of the woods this time,lol.thanks to Tally's information and I'm a Sussex man and hadn't heard of Playden and Tally across the pond had to let me know where it is,lol
silly me..........

have the best examples in the world , my New York city and your London

so the names may not register , because of the postal zip

Level 3

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#23686 Mar 3, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello there Brighteyes....and thanks for passing
that along. Boomer will be glad to hear that
Man U won their match today ensuring they are
still in line for the Premiership title.
Please tell him he is well and truly missed in
the kitchen.
Hope you are having a good weekend there Brighteys,
you mentioned festivals a little while ago, can you
elaborate on that please!....:) Sounds intriguing.
Glad you liked the link...
Yes Lady El, the festivals. We are involved in 5 festivals a year and they are truly wonderful. The first is Community Festival where close to 500,000 people come to over 3 days. The fest is not sponsored by any Corporations and we are self sufficient. We have over 3000 volunteers and no paid staff. Comfest as people know it was started over 40 years ago as we were protesting the Vietnam War. We have stood up to fight for equal rights, civil rights and gay rights to name a few. A loving and peaceful festival where all people are welcomed. Boomer and I are supervisors for Street Fair,(200 vendors)Community food, first aid and security. The second festival is near and dear to our hearts, Hot Times Festival. If you go to www.hottimesfestival.com you will see our picture under the photos by Russell Satori for the year of 2010. Once you are at the sight go to photos and look for the year and person. I will IM you the photo number we are in. We were married there in 2003 and will be renewing our vows this year. In the pictures you will see a lot of diversity along with belly dancers, food, vendors and art cars. Sorry this post is so long but you Lady El have asked for information that is all about our passion for people and the human condition. Hope you enjoy!

Level 3

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#23687 Mar 3, 2013
Hello to all in the kitchen...hope all are well. Once again woke up to a light snow on the ground and no sun. I am okay with cold and sun but the days of wet/gray clouds with no sun I am so done with! Give me sun and I am good.:) I hope everyone has a great week.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 1 min Hoosier Hillbilly 31,713
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min Beyond The Wall 159,280
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 5 min Hoosier Hillbilly 8,284
motorcycle traveling stories 6 min harleyhoney 289
Walmart closes stores 7 min Hoosier Hillbilly 4
Name a smell you love to smell! (Jan '14) 8 min Humhainna 1,083
one word only (Jun '08) 12 min Cyan in CA 55,252
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Sublime1 161,014
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 1 hr Sublime1 8,278
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) 6 hr Crazy Jae 1,402
More from around the web