#23382 Feb 23, 2013
Morning, Franko >>smiles<< Going back to sleep! Enjoy your day! zzzzzzzzzzzz

“Hands across the sea”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#23383 Feb 23, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
What was I harping on? I must have misunderstood something since I came in the midst of a conversation between you & Denny.
I steadfastly disagree with Denny on guns. Every opportunity he has, he touts gun laws, concealed carry, and makes the 2nd Amendment sound like a carte blanch absolute right to have a gun....which it isn't and doesn't.
I thought his remark about about the 'general public' excluded himself from the category and suggested everyone else in a criminal, therefore he has every right to shoot someone.
As far as the Pistorius (sp?), I have not commented on that as I have not been following any of it so I have nothing to say.
Hi Quincy...is that why you reminded me that I was part of the general public, LOL! Reading this morning of a little boy who has shot himself (wounded) with his Father's gun, I think the kiddie is about 5 yrs of age, how responsible is that of the parent?
Well anyway, putting all that aside, we had snow overnight, not a lot, just a dusting, it was quite mild this morning 2C when I went out to feed the birds, but seems to have gone much colder as the morning wears on.
Have a great weekend...have you anything exciting lined up? I am waiting for the National Trust properties to start their season, and then off to see some of the gardens at least. We thought we would visit one a week starting with Penrhyn Castle nearby.

“Towards Christmas.”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

‘

#23384 Feb 23, 2013
'Morning everyone,

You know GRIEF is the strangest of things...

It is something we can discuss here, as it is
something that HAS in the past and DOES throughout, affect us 'ALL'
I am not, in particular, referring to my recent loss,
[altho' it is included here too]

just loss.. the end of a life.. and grief in general.

Funny how we go about day by day, full of
the everyday things that make life worthwhile..

When 'TONY1003' posted
the line>

'I will do the shopping early, so I can sit down
in the afternoon and watch the matches'

little did he think it would have such a calming/balming
affect on me, a beautiful dose or normality
in the recent very dark days.

That's what we need, a lifting up..

and oddly,
we have all been through 'this' many times
with parents loved ones and friends..
yet SOMEHOW, it's always different.. painful..
unique..

As for religion, yes it can be a consolation,
but 'I'd' have to ask is it just a crutch
that helps at the time because there's nowhere else
to turn..
NO one to explain the WHY of
our existence .. day to day in this big beautiful world;

we know 'normality'

'love's' many
gorgeous ways-

the world around us is rich
and warm and we know it as 'home' because we liked
it and build our dreams and normality and experiences
around it..

and then 'one day'

a cloud comes and whips it ALL away..
with zero explanation!

I know it's the way of life and death...
but will we ever come to terms with
WHY are we here, and when we die off..
are we ever heard of again...
our beings - our souls- our intelligences..
our identities...

can these be buried and wither away 6 ft down?

I dono' the answers, who does indeed.

Maybe I'm just letting it all out here..
and, like others.. ALL OF US .. have 'been there'
maybe it's something to discuss

and...

thanks.

“Hands across the sea”

Location hidden

#23385 Feb 23, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Up until 1938, the UK was committed to a policy of appeasement for two reasons:
1. There was a genuine belief that what Hitler's demands (unification of all German-speaking peoples) was justified after the harshness of the Treaty of Versailles in 1919. It is easy with hindsight to see this was not his true objective, but not before his actions of 1938/9. Even Winston Churchill was in agreement with the policy up to 1936.
2. Although re-armament began in 1934 (for the RAF) and 1936 for the other services, after the period of cuts in the 20s and early 30s, the UK needed to buy time to gain strength. Sadly, the price of that time was Czechoslovakia.
It was only with the invasion of the rump of Czechoslovakia on 15th March 1939 (they had lost the Sudetenland with all its defences as a result of the Munich Agreement of Sept 1938) that the government realised that appeasement as a policy was a dead duck - this was the first invasion of an area with non-German speaking population, revealing the Nazis true intentions. Within two weeks, guarantees were given to Poland and Rumania, seen as the next on Hitler's shopping list. Such blanket guarantees were without precedent in UK history. With the invasion of 3rd Sept 1939, both the UK and France honoured their guarantees (although strategically, there was precious little they could do to help Poland).
Holland was invaded 10 May 1940 to secure Hitler's flank for the invasion of France, which went through Belgium, starting on the same day. Holland fell within three days, Belgium last 18, but only because Franch and British forces moved up to pre-arranged defensive positions.
As we all know, Blitzkrieg (the German tactic of lightning war) was revolutionary at the time: the allied commanders had no concept of how to respond to it - they were preparing to re-fight World War I in terms of tactics, but no one thought to give Germany that script!
Hope I didn't bore everyone stupid!
Absolutely not Tony...extremely helpful and informative...
you know...I was thinking..wish I had been taught this well on this matter at school...then realised, it was not considered History when I attended school, it was most recent past.
Grateful to you for your post.

“Hands across the sea”

Location hidden

#23386 Feb 23, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
Hi all - had intended to come in and begin with that, but got sidetracked in responding to the last couple of days' posts. RUGBY WEEKEND!!! Must dash off and do the shop so that I can remain undisturbed all afternoon as I watch England deal with the old enemy (France) at 1700 after a hope (probably futile) that the Italians can do a number on the Welsh in their match at 1430. Then cheer on the Irish tomorrow against the Scots at Murrayfield.
Always back whoever plays the Taffs - have not forgiven them for the misery inflicted on me at a Welsh university on match day during the 1970s!
Have a great weekend, even if in the UK it is a tad chilly.
Now don't be like that Tone...you have to let it go, they are after all, part of GB.

Pob Luc Cymru...

“Hands across the sea”

Location hidden

#23387 Feb 23, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
'Morning everyone,
When 'TONY1003' posted
the line>
and oddly,
unique..
to turn..
we know 'normality'
'love's' many
gorgeous ways-
around it..
and then 'one day'
with zero explanation!
our identities...
and...
thanks.
Dear Grace...

strange you should speak in this way as this is something we have
been discussing between ourselves only this morning,'we' being P
and myself.

Sadly, age does not have the monopoly on death, my Father having
passed away at the age of 34 yrs..it is only then that I look back and think of the sadness of it. His 17 year old brother killed on the battlefields of WW1..a young man who we didn't know existed
due to the large age difference between them, until my family searches revealed his existence. Tragedies both, in different ways.

I regret to say that otherwise, I am quite philosiphal about death...that is my crutch, and however close I am to the deceased, it is to me, a natural way of things, particularly should they reach a grand old age.

All one can ask is that any suffering is slight, if at all.

Looking out the window at the beauty that is Wales, and bringing into the forefront of my mind the best times with those who I loved so much who are no longer here, I thank God for being blessed with the Joy of Life and the purpose, however small, I have in it.

Wishing you a Peaceful, warm and pleasant day my friend.
Push Along

Churubusco, IN

#23388 Feb 23, 2013
With you out they're all together LOL

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#23389 Feb 23, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>Think we all know the answer to that one - Rwanda and Haiti don't have any known oil!
So let's call a spade a spade. "Iraqi Freedom" my A. Bush jr just wanted Saddam because his father couldn't get him and it was embarrassment ..... and in the aftermath of the terrorist attack on 9/11 presumed world an American sentiment was right there with him.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#23390 Feb 23, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>Up until 1938, the UK was committed to a policy of appeasement for two reasons:

1. There was a genuine belief that what Hitler's demands (unification of all German-speaking peoples) was justified after the harshness of the Treaty of Versailles in 1919. It is easy with hindsight to see this was not his true objective, but not before his actions of 1938/9. Even Winston Churchill was in agreement with the policy up to 1936.

2. Although re-armament began in 1934 (for the RAF) and 1936 for the other services, after the period of cuts in the 20s and early 30s, the UK needed to buy time to gain strength. Sadly, the price of that time was Czechoslovakia.

It was only with the invasion of the rump of Czechoslovakia on 15th March 1939 (they had lost the Sudetenland with all its defences as a result of the Munich Agreement of Sept 1938) that the government realised that appeasement as a policy was a dead duck - this was the first invasion of an area with non-German speaking population, revealing the Nazis true intentions. Within two weeks, guarantees were given to Poland and Rumania, seen as the next on Hitler's shopping list. Such blanket guarantees were without precedent in UK history. With the invasion of 3rd Sept 1939, both the UK and France honoured their guarantees (although strategically, there was precious little they could do to help Poland).

Holland was invaded 10 May 1940 to secure Hitler's flank for the invasion of France, which went through Belgium, starting on the same day. Holland fell within three days, Belgium last 18, but only because Franch and British forces moved up to pre-arranged defensive positions.

As we all know, Blitzkrieg (the German tactic of lightning war) was revolutionary at the time: the allied commanders had no concept of how to respond to it - they were preparing to re-fight World War I in terms of tactics, but no one thought to give Germany that script!

Hope I didn't bore everyone stupid!
Didn't bore me Tony. Thanks for the history lesson. Rare for me to find the timeline in one place. There are books and documentaries - I'm an avid reader - but there is much information and detail that some details are easily missed.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#23391 Feb 23, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Quincy...is that why you reminded me that I was part of the general public, LOL! Reading this morning of a little boy who has shot himself (wounded) with his Father's gun, I think the kiddie is about 5 yrs of age, how responsible is that of the parent?
Well anyway, putting all that aside, we had snow overnight, not a lot, just a dusting, it was quite mild this morning 2C when I went out to feed the birds, but seems to have gone much colder as the morning wears on.
Have a great weekend...have you anything exciting lined up? I am waiting for the National Trust properties to start their season, and then off to see some of the gardens at least. We thought we would visit one a week starting with Penrhyn Castle nearby.
Gasp! I thought that response was to Denny to put him in place ! I did not into intend to call YOU a criminal!!!!!

Children getting killed or killing by accident happens here often. Sad. Very irresponsible of the gun owner.

Enjoy the gardens. Are they in bloom already? There are garden and flower shows here - indoor of course - to give ideas in advance of the season.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#23392 Feb 23, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
'Morning everyone,

When 'TONY1003' posted
the line>

and oddly,
unique..

to turn..

we know 'normality'

'love's' many
gorgeous ways-

around it..

and then 'one day'

with zero explanation!

our identities...

and...

thanks.
That's a lot of food for thought to respond to. There was something you mentioned earlier (no line items on my phone)- wakes and funerals are really for the living, those left behind. Our loved ones live on in the stories and memories we share others and as I was told in a grief support group, your relationship with your friend did not end ... it merely changed....she is in your heart and your memories and perhaps even some things you've learned .... the good in you. Those closest to us also help make us who we are.

As you say the process of grief is highly individual so those who tell people 'get over it' or 'move on' may be well meaning but they are wrong. It took me 13 years before I could finally enjoy some the Christmas traditions we shared and not end up in a crying fit -- mom died over 15 years ago so that oughta tell ya something.

The double edged sword of the human condition is our need for human connections -- they can bring joy life and devastation at the end of life.

The older I've gotten -- and many of you are a bit older and have seen even more of life -- the more I realize how short life is...make the best of your own life and enjoy each moment - once is past, it's past- and spend as much time with those you love and bring you joy.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#23393 Feb 23, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
No danger of that - they are butt ugly!!
I would imagine prison would be hell for a terrorist in the general population. In America they would be dead in two weeks :)

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#23395 Feb 23, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
That would explain why Texas has such a high rate of gun murder. Ramp up the ante and you ramp up the response: it becomes a circle of violence. Last year, Texas had more gun crimes than the whole of the UK, in a state with a population of just over 26 million: less than half the population of the UK. Here are the raw figures:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/...
Tony it is all about the population mix. Blacks murder at 8 times the rate of whites and mexicans have a very high murder rat. Throw in the drug wars and gangs and you know why we carry a gun. I am always afraid I will walk into the middle of a robbery in progress. I had a friend who was an area manager for 7-11 convenience stores. He quit because he was tired of cleaning up blood from roberies. They would kill the clerk for $50

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#23396 Feb 23, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
So let's call a spade a spade. "Iraqi Freedom" my A. Bush jr just wanted Saddam because his father couldn't get him and it was embarrassment ..... and in the aftermath of the terrorist attack on 9/11 presumed world an American sentiment was right there with him.
The world feared Sadam would arm terrorist with WMDs

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

#23397 Feb 23, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Gasp! I thought that response was to Denny to put him in place ! I did not into intend to call YOU a criminal!!!!!
Children getting killed or killing by accident happens here often. Sad. Very irresponsible of the gun owner.
Enjoy the gardens. Are they in bloom already? There are garden and flower shows here - indoor of course - to give ideas in advance of the season.
Quinn more kids drown in swimming pools than die by accidents with guns. Are you for filling in back yard pools?

“Towards Christmas.”

Level 8

‘

#23398 Feb 23, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a lot of food for thought to respond to. There was something you mentioned earlier (no line items on my phone)- wakes and funerals are really for the living, those left behind. Our loved ones live on in the stories and memories we share others and as I was told in a grief support group, your relationship with your friend did not end ... it merely changed....she is in your heart and your memories and perhaps even some things you've learned .... the good in you. Those closest to us also help make us who we are.
As you say the process of grief is highly individual so those who tell people 'get over it' or 'move on' may be well meaning but they are wrong. It took me 13 years before I could finally enjoy some the Christmas traditions we shared and not end up in a crying fit -- mom died over 15 years ago so that oughta tell ya something.
The double edged sword of the human condition is our need for human connections -- they can bring joy life and devastation at the end of life.
The older I've gotten -- and many of you are a bit older and have seen even more of life -- the more I realize how short life is...make the best of your own life and enjoy each moment - once is past, it's past- and spend as much time with those you love and bring you joy.
Thanks sincerely for your response
and opinion.

I agree wakes are a wonderfully thought out therapy
[who so ever thought of it first] LOL..

Nice line of yours>

'Those closest help to make us who we are'
true, follow by example..

It certainly does help to keep alive
the image of the dead person, in often remembered
stories and anecdotes..
but I wouldn't call it
'keeping them alive'

it's more lovingly remembering them, in my opinion.

I think 'death' and parting is SO huge to grasp,
it's many elements, as you say it takes time...
but I feel impatient when I hear poems like..

'She/he is not really dead,
he's only a room away'
probably these sayings, poems etc..
are designed to help.. but the cold reality
is the person has died, is not coming back IS the harsh
reality of it...

I often think too, for those who think
religions are invented to make all of
us humans feel good about ourselves.
[and I've NO wish to offend anyone]

'The Hereafter' is designed to help
us get over death more gently,
a promise that we will see 'the deceased loved one'
again, and in a way, that is good,
because when 'we' eventually die,
IF there IS such as an afterlife, GREAT .. WONDERFUL..
if there is not... it won't matter.

“Towards Christmas.”

Level 8

‘

#23399 Feb 23, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Grace...
strange you should speak in this way as this is something we have
been discussing between ourselves only this morning,'we' being P
and myself.
Sadly, age does not have the monopoly on death, my Father having
passed away at the age of 34 yrs..it is only then that I look back and think of the sadness of it. His 17 year old brother killed on the battlefields of WW1..a young man who we didn't know existed
due to the large age difference between them, until my family searches revealed his existence. Tragedies both, in different ways.
I regret to say that otherwise, I am quite philosiphal about death...that is my crutch, and however close I am to the deceased, it is to me, a natural way of things, particularly should they reach a grand old age.
All one can ask is that any suffering is slight, if at all.
Looking out the window at the beauty that is Wales, and bringing into the forefront of my mind the best times with those who I loved so much who are no longer here, I thank God for being blessed with the Joy of Life and the purpose, however small, I have in it.
Wishing you a Peaceful, warm and pleasant day my friend.
Interesting, El..

It is coincidental indeed that we both should
have the subject in mind .. LOL

telepathy!

Interesting what you say, and indeed,
as we know so well age has no meaning
when the 'Grim Reaper' decides to make a choice.

It is a great advantage that you are philosophical
about 'death' seeing it as
the natural order of things..

I know that too,
and ALTHOUGH, I 'know'
but when it comes to the death of someone close,
my emotions take the place of wisdom and common sense,
and I can't handle it lightly.

I agree fully about not wishing
to see a person suffering, not
wishing that the person might somehow 'hang on'
that would indeed be very selfish,
it is what gave me consolation recently
with my friend..

kinda like the age old saying
'If you love me enough, let me go'

that, strangely applies to DEATH too
in it's own way.

I loved this part of your post
quoting you >

"Looking out the window at the beauty that is Wales, and bringing into the forefront of my mind the best times with those who I loved so much who are no longer here, I thank God for being blessed with the Joy of Life and the purpose, however small, I have in it."

I 'feel you' there as they say,

I SENSE all the things you mean..
and would add.. my problem is
life is tooooooooooooo precious to want to let go...

BUT...

I, too must find a way to 'let go'
when that time comes.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

A little hole in the wall.

#23400 Feb 23, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
probably not often reported are the accidental shootings that missed .. no injury no report?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

A little hole in the wall.

#23401 Feb 23, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting, El..
It is coincidental indeed that we both should
have the subject in mind .. LOL
telepathy!
Interesting what you say, and indeed,
as we know so well age has no meaning
when the 'Grim Reaper' decides to make a choice.
It is a great advantage that you are philosophical
about 'death' seeing it as
the natural order of things..
I know that too,
and ALTHOUGH, I 'know'
but when it comes to the death of someone close,
my emotions take the place of wisdom and common sense,
and I can't handle it lightly.
I agree fully about not wishing
to see a person suffering, not
wishing that the person might somehow 'hang on'
that would indeed be very selfish,
it is what gave me consolation recently
with my friend..
kinda like the age old saying
'If you love me enough, let me go'
that, strangely applies to DEATH too
in it's own way.
I loved this part of your post
quoting you >
"Looking out the window at the beauty that is Wales, and bringing into the forefront of my mind the best times with those who I loved so much who are no longer here, I thank God for being blessed with the Joy of Life and the purpose, however small, I have in it."
I 'feel you' there as they say,
I SENSE all the things you mean..
and would add.. my problem is
life is tooooooooooooo precious to want to let go...
BUT...
I, too must find a way to 'let go'
when that time comes.
I'm not sure I can add much to the discussion on death and how we who are still alive handle it .. between you, QUINN and EL I think you all covered it quite nicely.

HOwever, you mentioned here about the suffering and it raises a question I have discussed with a few people over the years.

As many of you know ... my ex wife was injured in a car accident ... she would have died if the doctors did not have this little miracle called a respirator that breathed for her since she was not breathing on her own.

Now she lives life as a shell of the person she once was .. functional in many ways but still so liited...

That too is a form of suffering for the injured person, but also for those not injured but knowing someone in that condition and helping them on a daily basis...

It makes one wonder at what point can you say "they would have been better off dead" ...

I think in my wife's case she has a certain quality of life and is better off alive, but there are those in far worse shape .. it seems like passing the days with nothing they can do on their own but eat and breathe ...

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#23402 Feb 23, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>Still catching up - the boat is ashore at the moment for repairs and anti-fouling. Already fully booked for the Round the Island Race, have a training weekend in April for the crew and a teaching course at the beginning of May, so the work is starting to arrive however slowly. However, holiday time before that - hope to be in the States in another month.
Hi Tony ! I was thinking of you this afternoon. We visited the Chicago History Museum and came upon the Chicago Maritime Festival. Saw a photographic presentation of the tall ships: then & now.

I'm sure you're aware with the Great Lakes and the Chicago River the history is rooted in trade routes and is still a transportation hub.

Quite interesting the exhibits and shows one can stumble upon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 min Princess Hey 206,881
News Church fined $12,000 for helping homeless new 1 min Suezanne 33
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 2 min -Prince- 148,377
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 2 min Joi C 5,776
"Any 3 word combination" (Dec '12) 2 min Old Sam 3,409
Let's Play Songs Titled with Two Words ... (Nov '14) 5 min Old Sam 2,029
Funny!! Word association game. (Nov '13) 5 min wichita-rick 5,266
News Trump's bizarre claim that the Clinton email co... 14 min Go Blue Forever 969
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 39 min Enzo49 10,570
All Christmas Carols/Songs and Quotes.. 2 hr Suezanne 41
More from around the web