in the frame, as to what we would do under such
circumstances, perhaps alone in the house, an
intruder present.
To be honest, I am beginning to see things in
a different light, I am not saying an arsenal
now, but do think a householder should be able
to own a gun for protection.
It seems common sense to me.
Ah you have won me over with your argument of a gun for protection :) There is a small town that requires all home owners to have a gun :) Crime is pretty low there

Level 3

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#23303 Feb 21, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
You certainly can....but I am up to my eyes at the moment,
Sir Tally is your man for the best hot cider drinks.
(Sir Tally....if you would be so kind....)
Very nice to see you this afternoon Brighteyes....to hear you
and Boomer had a great weekend.
Thank you Lady El. I see you have a sick baby. I hope Bailey is better soon. Thanks for recommending Sir Tally.
Hope all is well in the Kitchen.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#23304 Feb 21, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>You mean the one congress voted for?
Different congress. Plus Bush suckered them into believing there were WMDs.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#23305 Feb 21, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>but ..My God, Denny!!!!

Surely life is or [should be]
more precious than that!!!

shoot to KILL?
when the burglar might get a few dollars
for his efforts??

Makes NO sense to me,
yes indeed, to be fair
such a burglar is a bad egg indeed in my opinion
up to no good, and has NO business
brwaking an entering

BUT.........

to kill him/her STONE DEAD???

that is completely uncivilized in 'my' opinion.

What's the point in the law here..
and WHAT role has the law??

and how it should be allowed
deal with such a person in a civilised way?
Not everyone in the US agrees with Texas.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#23306 Feb 21, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Grace I think the difference is you don't expect the burglar to be armed. Plus you seem willing to let the burglar decide weather you live or die. In My country I would assume he had a gun to begin with and I will not give him a chance to kill me. Plus I don't know if there is someone with him who is armed. When he broke in my house he made the decision to put his life at risk
trust me only an idiot reaches for a gun when one is pointed at him.... and only an idiot would put his family in jeopardy

by thinking he can out shot anyone .... thank god most are Texans

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#23307 Feb 21, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Different congress. Plus Bush suckered them into believing there were WMDs.
well your wrong an Iraqi informant suckered the Cia into believing WMD .. but Saddam killed via orders 3,000 in one afternoon ..... that is mass enough for me , and remember this

Iraqi was still at war with the coalition [37] world countries of the UN .... believe this: ex-pres. sr./jr were at the head of the table , but it was a world table not Bush's table

so how about laying off the Bush crap

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#23308 Feb 21, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
steroid use was discounted. It was herbal medication. Keep up! lol
as of the last report I heard, which was yesterday, was that it was "claimed" to be herbal and yet to be confirmed .. I did not think that herbal medication was taken with syringes ....

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#23309 Feb 21, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>What makes you think it is only a monetary issue? Burglars and criminals do commit murder. If the guy has already killed he will surly kill again. If he already has serve two terms and the third term mean life he will kill you. I will defend my life and property
Do strangers enter a hose of a stranger with intent to kill? or is it that they go in to steal, and when encountered by the homeowner, who he fears might have a gun .. he shoots in his own defence just like the homeowner shoots in self defense??? It becomes gun against gun.

People murdering strangers with no motive is a very rare event compared to thievery.

Also, when someone goes about planning to murder someone ... they go in with the upper hand and rarely does the homeowner have a chance to get a weapon to defend themselves .. so the gun becomes quite useless for self defense anyhow.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#23310 Feb 21, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
If there was an intruder he could have said "you say there in the bathroom, I will have my girlfriend call the police. I have a gun pointed at the door, if you attempt to come out I will shoot you."
I have never heard anything so fricking funny in my life....
the answer could well be 'BANG'
he can shout from around the corner down the hall ...

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

#23311 Feb 21, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Equally funny....I would have thought it rather foolish to
advertise the fact that one was armed....giving the intruder
the opportunity to shoot first ASSUMING he was armed.
Has anybody considered just locking the intruder in and calling the police?
how do you lock a bathroom door from the outside?
Krypteia

Workington, UK

#23312 Feb 22, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>In Texas we would shoot to kill on the assumption that if he was willing to break in he was willing to kill you if he had too.
For me reasoning would be you have no right to enter my house no matter what time and frighten my family and take my things..
Now the American judicial system is far better longer sentences tougher conditions and not the human rights wrap them up in cotton wool rubbish we have here.
My brother nearly got charged believe it or not for beating a burglar up in his house can you believe it,my brother said if he got prosecuted for it next time it ever happens he just as well kill him..

“Towards Spring”

Level 8

Location hidden

#23313 Feb 22, 2013
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>For me reasoning would be you have no right to enter my house no matter what time and frighten my family and take my things..
Now the American judicial system is far better longer sentences tougher conditions and not the human rights wrap them up in cotton wool rubbish we have here.
My brother nearly got charged believe it or not for beating a burglar up in his house can you believe it,my brother said if he got prosecuted for it next time it ever happens he just as well kill him..
Hi K,

Of course, goes without saying,
no one has a right to enter another
person's

house for the purpose of stealing..

I'd still think long & hard before I'd
pull a gun on that person, and shoot to kill.
something you'd have to live with
for the rest of your life..

but that's just me...
and what we must remember
in the example we are discussing here,
it's all conjecture, perhaps many
more important pieces of info..
that we know NOTHING about, come into
play.

Good day to you K...

“Towards Spring”

Level 8

Location hidden

#23314 Feb 22, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Now Grace you know I like you to much to ever have a problem with anything you say to me. Guns get criminals in trouble. Here in Dallas a burglar locked his self in the bathroom and called the police to come and get him before the home owner shot him. I had two guys break in my house in the middle of the night. I got a pistol and my wife shouted at me to not shoot it may be the boys. When they heard that they ran. In Texas if they are on you land at night you are justified in shooting them. We also have the death sentence for murders. That ends the problem. The last thing I am interested in when it comes to a gun fight is giving anyone a fair chance. Giving a warning that you have a gun may be your last words
Thanks for that nice sentiment D.. and likewise,
but, don't ever worr' about giving
your heartfelt, opinion, nor will
I..
it is 'our right'.

I think this is what makes THE KITCHEN thread
different, in that,
we can argue maybe strongly..
but civilly..
yet hold very different opinions.

Hope the daffs are popping up around where
you live, I see a few around here..

“Towards Spring”

Level 8

Location hidden

#23315 Feb 22, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Equally funny....I would have thought it rather foolish to
advertise the fact that one was armed....giving the intruder
the opportunity to shoot first ASSUMING he was armed.
Has anybody considered just locking the intruder in and calling the police?
Good Spring Morning ..

Different views El,
Foolish of course were one to stand
outside the door and utter those words,
but choose a safe angle and warn the
intruder, is what was on my mind.
then not so foolish to inform him there is
a weapon between them..
a scare tactic...
you having more freedom to move around,
he being confined in a small space.

having said all that,

I suppose one would have to be there
to 'know' ALL the details.

SAD case no matter what way one looks at it.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#23316 Feb 22, 2013
Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>I agree he did it PF. Grace's question was about who would shoot a burglar. I would shoot a burglar :)
but my point was really - Did he Really think it was a burglar? at this point from what ive heard, i no longer think thats the case.

when i first heard about this young man, i was really inspired by him, he took a big negative in his life and turned it into a positive, in spite of all the odds against him. he had the world in his hands, and now its turned upside down and no matter what the truth to all of this murder is, once again his life will be an uphill battle.
it just shows that all of us are given choices, every action leads to a reaction and Any one of us could commit murder, no matter whether its to defend urself, an accident, or u meant to do it. i find that scarey..

Location hidden

#23317 Feb 22, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>I have a theory about all this ..
They say they fonud evidence of steroid use .... what if she was being a goldigger and threatened to publicize his cheating? At the very least maybe she was threatening to break up with him?
They apparently argued loudly for over an hour before the shots were fired ...
interesting.. i hadnt thought about the steriod theory, and i may be wrong but i thought that was discounted already. but i dont think the theory of goldigger is it either, they Both were people sitting on top of the world, had Everything going right for them, she was a model and just did that tv reality show, and probably others things i dont know about. the breakup seems to the most likely (in my thinking anyway) but even that who knows, the reports from the people who knew them, all say they were a happy couple, but nobody really knows whats going on in other peoples lives. i actually feel sorry for them, so much going right for them and now its all gone..

Location hidden

#23318 Feb 22, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
We all seem to be judging one person, namely
Oscar Pistorius...can I suggest we put ourselves
in the frame, as to what we would do under such
circumstances, perhaps alone in the house, an
intruder present.
To be honest, I am beginning to see things in
a different light, I am not saying an arsenal
now, but do think a householder should be able
to own a gun for protection.
It seems common sense to me.
the first thing i thought about when i heard this story, Was that he being handicapped like that would make it a different situation as to how he "might" react with an intruder coming to his home, i "think" it would have to be totally different than another man who has his legs, i think he Would feel and Be more vulnerable. but once i started hearing more of the story, at this point, it really doesnt look good - he does in my mind now, seem guilty. but im a wishy washy type person, one day i'll hear a new piece to the puzzle and i'll think nah he didnt do it, next day might be something different. lol - i hope i never get called for a murder trial with jury duty, or i should say, the guy on trial should hope. lol

Happy Weekend Guys!
:)

Location hidden

#23319 Feb 22, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Spring Morning ..
Different views El,
Foolish of course were one to stand
outside the door and utter those words,
but choose a safe angle and warn the
intruder, is what was on my mind.
then not so foolish to inform him there is
a weapon between them..
a scare tactic...
you having more freedom to move around,
he being confined in a small space.
having said all that,
I suppose one would have to be there
to 'know' ALL the details.
SAD case no matter what way one looks at it.
yes it really is a sad case. isnt it?

Grace, just wanted to tell u how sorry i am about ur recent loss. as hard as it is for those of us left behind, sometimes its a blessing for those who have to leave this world. and no matter if there is something beyond this life or not, peace Is always better than pain, so she Has, Im sure, found that and u can rejoice with her, in that lasting thought..
>Hugs<
P

Location hidden

#23320 Feb 22, 2013
Krypteia wrote:
<quoted text>For me reasoning would be you have no right to enter my house no matter what time and frighten my family and take my things..
just wanted to say - Hi Handsome.
hee
:O)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

#23321 Feb 22, 2013
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>Well I wasn't setting myself apart for a minute, but did state
'all criminals were once just the general public'.....
as yet I have not offended.
Making the point that we are all the general public, so his blanket statement makes us all criminals - including him. What goes on in Texas is not representative of what goes on in every state or the country as a whole.

And our 'rights' are not carved in stone or absolute. There are caveats to all of them. To suggest otherwise is misleading.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Word is First Word (no "breast" word please) (Jul '15) 7 min andet1987 2,197
Tips on troLLing (Jan '10) 14 min Luther 346
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 15 min Subduction Zone 219,607
2words into 2new words (May '12) 20 min andet1987 7,743
What's for dinner? (Feb '12) 21 min Lazy Jay 8,604
"Any 3 word combination" (Dec '12) 23 min andet1987 3,691
News 'What's the capital of Canada?' and other weird... 26 min 4160 kill a volt 6
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 41 min BITD 211,607
What Turns You Off? 2 hr UnderstandPeople 429
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 2 hr UnderstandPeople 3,268
True False Game (Jun '11) 2 hr andet1987 14,078
News Thousands of demonstrators protest Trump in Atl... 3 hr Turnip 1,491
More from around the web