Franko enjoyed your 'blades' pun!

May I add..

I think the NIKE ad Co..
gave him 'the boot'(:

WBR,
Are you going to join the
Poetry Challenge thread?

I did!!!!
You mentioned our slight differences in language once.......collar, cone it's still sad looking for our furry friends.

Hope you had a good weekend. Is today Sports Sunday for everyone ?

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Krypteia wrote:
Anyway on a positive note recently got in from a school friends 50th ,very good night,known him since I was five,a lifetime ago
Now I have a younger brother wedding end of April,Army reunion end of May and if I can afford it I would like to go to Crete,love my Greek mythology,me thinks will be next year now,,,what's everyone's plans for this year,a happy year hopefully!
And I hope you thoroughly enjoy each and every one of the festivities!

“Mid Summer Days”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
You mentioned our slight differences in language once.......collar, cone it's still sad looking for our furry friends.
Hope you had a good weekend. Is today Sports Sunday for everyone ?
LOL

too true..

If I sed to you

'come on over tonight, we'll be having a bit of crack'!!

you'd be shocked!

when I'd have meant by it

'a bit of fun'

LOL

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>Thank goodness it's Sunday - just spent 30 mins trying to check out the US taxation system - went to the IRS site, which was a minefield (Lord knows how your politicans navigate around it)! Complex system to an outsider. Worked out that "payroll" tax in the US seems to be like our National Insurance contributions. Did come across this one, which whilst a little simplistic, does explain the situation to a bear of little brain like me!

http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/14/pf/taxes/who_...

Romney's comment about the 47%, whilst correct, gave the impression that this group paid no taxes, which is inaccurate. It was also very damaging for him politically. What I find astounding is that 12.5% of those in the %50-100K group pay no income tax. That would not happen in the UK.

VAT is like your sales tax. Personally, I find it something of a blunt instrument - 20% added to the price of items hits the poorest hardest. For you, there is the facility to claim it back on items you buy when you visit the UK.
Thank for that informed post Tony. I am not a numbers person and perhaps was not explaining my point well. The "47%" comment is a gross mischaracterization of the reality as I think you saw. The poorest still pay some element in tax and even seniors on Social Security still pay into Medicare or social healthcare. In addition, while the rich blame the poorest, they apparently have no qualms about big corporations paying no tax. How is that reasonable?

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, for me some of this does not run. You mentioned the budget. All the news sources I have seen over here have pointed out that the Republican-controlled House of Representatives has been blocking the budget - even to the extent of teetering towards the financial cliff (which actually was brinkmanship as even they would not have cut off their noses to spite their faces). The Senate alone cannot pass a budget, it needs both Houses. In passing, the developed world is facing a financial crisis unlike any in recent history: all countries are having to borrow like crazy, including the UK. That crisis began in the banking systems whilst Bush was President and Blair/Brown were pratting about in the UK.

Benghazi was unfortunate - but only Fox News seemed to push the line you give. It was only after the attack that the UK foreign office warned Brits to get out - and they are usually very swift to warn our citizens of danger. I think it caught everyone on the hop - Obama included.

On the plus side, he dealt with Bin Laden and he does now have a strategy to get out of Afghanistan - a war that we cannot win (we never have in that country) and into which Blair/Bush rushed without an exit strategy.
Bless you Tony for being an excellent fact checker!!!!! I have stated repeatedly I am no fan Obama (I live in Illinois where he was a senator and voted for him then) but it is clearly the Republicans who flat out stated they would not work with him one iota. They ostracized Republicans who compromised with the Dems. They said they would make him a one term President ...... they failed.

It's the Republicans who refuse to do their job and have screwed the citizenry. Votes on the debt and taxes keep coming up and they refuse to work with the President.

As for Benghazi, it was the Republicans who cut spending for security at the embassy and shot down Hillary Clinton's request for funding.

http://thinkprogress.org/security/2012/10/10/...

Who cares why it happened or whether Obama initially said it was a protest? It happened and in spite of Administration requests to increase security, Republicans said no ---- Vice Presidential candidate Paul Ryan included ----- and then the Republicans have the gall to blame the Administration for the security failure .

Sent from my iPhone

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Krypteia wrote:
Morning El and all,what a lovely morning feels like spring,was thinking of going for a walk along the beach but my heads a bit tender.
A mate offered a spare ticket for Twickenhan last night,got to let him know today,expensive day out got to weigh it up at the moment as things are coming up.
Spring day? I'm jealous. It's 10 degrees (-12C) this morning!

Enjoy your walk :-)

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>I'd agree K. Unfortunately, we have followed the US route with the selection of our politicians: they come out of university (usually) with the ambition to be a politician. Gone are the days when you achieved something in the country before standing for Parliament - now it is a career path. Consequently, to misquote Oscar Wilde's context, they "know the price of everything and the value of nothing". Like you - disillusioned with the whole self-seeking bunch of them.
Has the fate of Jesse Jackson Jr made it across the pond? Local Chicago/Illinois politician, his father the Rev Jesse Jackson Sr. Jr had everything ---- the works by the balls as they say ----- there was nothing he couldn't do if he wanted even run for President one day.

Got greedy on spent USD$750,000 on frivolous things ------- the money used was campaign fund money. Big non no. He and the Mrs are now up in federal charges and may even jail time. I hope that USD$40,000 Michael Jackson fedora he purchased was worth it.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Grace Nerissa wrote:
On another subject,

I remember a few folks here, on the thread saying they intended
going to see the movie LINCOLN,
if anyone HAS seen it, I'd be interested
to have your opinion of it.

I saw the movie, and must admit,
was disappointed, perhaps that was due to
all the hype which preceded it..

The company I went with thought the same,
that.. it was a good movie without being a great one.

I had seen JANGO UNCHAINED previously and
THAT was a brilliant movie, I never thought I'd see anyone outshine
DANIEL DAY LEWIS, who is known to be one of the greatest
living actors of our time,

but in the two movies I mention,

Leonardo DiCapri towered over him, acting wise.
IMO.

Funny how it goes!
Really?! I saw Lincoln and was quite amazed and impressed. Initially was not interested in the movie but turned out liking it very much. We all know the Amendment passed and he was killed, but somehow to me there was still an element suspense.

I thought Sally Field & Daniel Day Lewis did a fab job as did Tommy Lee Jones.

Did you know that Robert, the oldest son who fought in the war was the only child who survived? They had 5 or 6 and all but the one died. After Lincoln was killed Robert put his mother Mary in a mental institution here in Illinois. I think she suffered depression.

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>LOL

too true..

If I sed to you

'come on over tonight, we'll be having a bit of crack'!!

you'd be shocked!

when I'd have meant by it

'a bit of fun'

LOL
LOL!!

“Living With A Grateful Heart”

Since: Jan 13

Counting Little Blessings

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Good Afternoon Lady Eleanor..
I hope that your day has been a good one so far and that it will just get better...
About that runner who killed his girl friend.. I'm sure he'll SPRING BACK...
;o)
It's a really cold day here in the valley so my big plans are to just stay in the house and stay warm... We do have sunshine today so that's the blessing I'm counting so far...
How sweet of that little Clematis to reward you with flower buds for saving it's life... I do the same thing when plants go on sale... My moss roses as an example...
I'm glad that Ginger Bailey is doing well and it's hard to believe the Vets couldn't provide a cone for him without added charges... Sheeesh... It's not like you are a one time customer..
I hope that you will have a day filled with laughter and love.. and that no matter what you do you will enjoy yourself...
Sending you all of my best wishes...
((Love-n-Hugs))
@}-'--,---

“Living With A Grateful Heart”

Since: Jan 13

Counting Little Blessings

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Hi Grace...
Regarding the poetry contest.. I don't think I'll bother with it.. I'm not much for competitions.. I hope that you will have a good day today.. Sending you wishing for Peace, Love, Health and Happiness...
@}-'--,---

Wishing all of the Good Folks who visit El's Kitchen the same...
@}-'--,---

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank for that informed post Tony. I am not a numbers person and perhaps was not explaining my point well. The "47%" comment is a gross mischaracterization of the reality as I think you saw. The poorest still pay some element in tax and even seniors on Social Security still pay into Medicare or social healthcare. In addition, while the rich blame the poorest, they apparently have no qualms about big corporations paying no tax. How is that reasonable?
Sad but it is true that nearly half the people pay no federal income tax. Romney's point was people who don't pay federal income tax don't have very much interest in a lower tax rate. That is the good part about the Vat tax. Everyone pays some tax to support the government. Rich or poor we all must pay for government. I think the whole idea of a graduated rate is robbery. What else do you buy is the cost based on what you earn. Should a poor man pay less for a loaf of bread than a rich man. Is the purpose of tax to support the government or is it to punish the successful ?

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

DiamondDustedRose wrote:
Hi Grace...
Regarding the poetry contest.. I don't think I'll bother with it.. I'm not much for competitions.. I hope that you will have a good day today.. Sending you wishing for Peace, Love, Health and Happiness...
@}-'--,---
Wishing all of the Good Folks who visit El's Kitchen the same...
@}-'--,---
Good morning Rose. Enjoy your day. Let's rummage around El kitchen and see what is cookin :)

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank goodness it's Sunday - just spent 30 mins trying to check out the US taxation system - went to the IRS site, which was a minefield (Lord knows how your politicans navigate around it)! Complex system to an outsider. Worked out that "payroll" tax in the US seems to be like our National Insurance contributions. Did come across this one, which whilst a little simplistic, does explain the situation to a bear of little brain like me!
http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/14/pf/taxes/who_...
Romney's comment about the 47%, whilst correct, gave the impression that this group paid no taxes, which is inaccurate. It was also very damaging for him politically. What I find astounding is that 12.5% of those in the %50-100K group pay no income tax. That would not happen in the UK.
VAT is like your sales tax. Personally, I find it something of a blunt instrument - 20% added to the price of items hits the poorest hardest. For you, there is the facility to claim it back on items you buy when you visit the UK.
Tony our tax system is complicated because it isn't in a politicians interest to have a simple fair tax. They get contributions from those who are able to buy their favors granted in the tax code. The liberal media bias is so great it doesn't matter what is actually said they look for hidden meanings that were not there. A great example is right now we have a Democrat senator who is accused of having sex with under age girls. You hear nothing about this in the media.(Who are you going to believe a couple of underage girls or a Senator) while at the same time senator Rubio a Republican was giving a rebuttal speech and during his speech he took a drink of water and it is the major topic of discussion in the press and on TV. Statements like is his drink of water the end of his political career

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bless you Tony for being an excellent fact checker!!!!! I have stated repeatedly I am no fan Obama (I live in Illinois where he was a senator and voted for him then) but it is clearly the Republicans who flat out stated they would not work with him one iota. They ostracized Republicans who compromised with the Dems. They said they would make him a one term President ...... they failed.
It's the Republicans who refuse to do their job and have screwed the citizenry. Votes on the debt and taxes keep coming up and they refuse to work with the President.
As for Benghazi, it was the Republicans who cut spending for security at the embassy and shot down Hillary Clinton's request for funding.
Who cares why it happened or whether Obama initially said it was a protest? It happened and in spite of Administration requests to increase security, Republicans said no ---- Vice Presidential candidate Paul Ryan included ----- and then the Republicans have the gall to blame the Administration for the security failure .
Sent from my iPhone
Quinn funding had nothing to do with security. They could have had military security that cost them nothing but it would look like there was a terrorist problem. The woman in charge of security and part of the Obama team testified under oath that it had nothing to do with a lack of funds. The ambassador begged for more security and Hillary says she never saw the many e mails from the ambassador. He told them they could not defend against an attack

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

The sad truth is the number of low knowledge voters who no nothing about politics and have little interest in them. We are electing people like this was American Idol. Someone like Lincoln would be beaten by a pretty face who the media adored

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Sad but it is true that nearly half the people pay no federal income tax. Romney's point was people who don't pay federal income tax don't have very much interest in a lower tax rate. That is the good part about the Vat tax. Everyone pays some tax to support the government. Rich or poor we all must pay for government. I think the whole idea of a graduated rate is robbery. What else do you buy is the cost based on what you earn. Should a poor man pay less for a loaf of bread than a rich man. Is the purpose of tax to support the government or is it to punish the successful ?
Taxing the successful is not punishing them. Look at the loopholes they have. You did not respond to why big corps with big profits like oil companies should pay no taxes while my friend holding down two jobs and earning $12,000/yr should.....and she does.

You haven't justified why miscellaneous deductions are only 2% and medical is 7%. Should only people at the end of life get to deduct high medical expenses?

Why don't you pay taxes on investment gains/losses and how come the likes of Mitt Romney & Bill Clinton can get paid big money for appearances and speaking engagements and NOT have to claim it as income? It's earnings.

That's not punishment that's leveling the playing field. Having more gives you more advantages to get around and find loopholes. The example of 2% miscellaneous v 7% medical is a clear indication the US tax code is stacked in favor of "the successful".

And I have four friends who are successful small business owners. They get screwed by the tax code all the time. Why should they get punished for hiring local and serving local and not having Exelon's bottom line?

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Tony our tax system is complicated because it isn't in a politicians interest to have a simple fair tax. They get contributions from those who are able to buy their favors granted in the tax code. The liberal media bias is so great it doesn't matter what is actually said they look for hidden meanings that were not there. A great example is right now we have a Democrat senator who is accused of having sex with under age girls. You hear nothing about this in the media.(Who are you going to believe a couple of underage girls or a Senator) while at the same time senator Rubio a Republican was giving a rebuttal speech and during his speech he took a drink of water and it is the major topic of discussion in the press and on TV. Statements like is his drink of water the end of his political career
They are called lobbyists Denny and they are why I have to meet a 7% threshold before I can deduct my medical expenses but you only need to meet 2% for miscellaneous.

And again, you mischaracterize media coverage. Jesse Jackson Jr's crimes are all over the wire local in Chicago & in the NY Times. He's a well known and loved Dems but he's been demonized as well he should. The difference is the Republicans get on their high & mighty social conservatism horses and then get caught with their pants down. That makes them hypocrites and they cry foul when the are discovered by a reporter.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/...

http://mobile.alternet.org/alternet/ #!/entry/why-do-sex-scandals-d estroy-democrats-but-not-repub licans,5081eaa1d7fc7b567023d5c 1

http://www.realchange.org/gingrich.htm

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Taxing the successful is not punishing them. Look at the loopholes they have. You did not respond to why big corps with big profits like oil companies should pay no taxes while my friend holding down two jobs and earning $12,000/yr should.....and she does.
You haven't justified why miscellaneous deductions are only 2% and medical is 7%. Should only people at the end of life get to deduct high medical expenses?
Why don't you pay taxes on investment gains/losses and how come the likes of Mitt Romney & Bill Clinton can get paid big money for appearances and speaking engagements and NOT have to claim it as income? It's earnings.
That's not punishment that's leveling the playing field. Having more gives you more advantages to get around and find loopholes. The example of 2% miscellaneous v 7% medical is a clear indication the US tax code is stacked in favor of "the successful".
And I have four friends who are successful small business owners. They get screwed by the tax code all the time. Why should they get punished for hiring local and serving local and not having Exelon's bottom line?
Corporations pay the highest tax in the world at 35% the so called loop holes are put there by politicians on both side because those corporation support the campaigns. I think there should be zero tax on corporations. To them tax is a cost of doing business and they raise the price of what they sell and are no longer competitive in the market place against China. There are no loophole unless you are super rich. I had to pay $85K in taxes one years and my accountant could find none of these loopholes you talk about. The top 5% already pay 95% of the federal tax. I would doubt that a speaker didn't pay taxes on his engagements. To make matters even worse lower income get back more federal tax than they paid in because of the earned income tax credit. From each according his ability to each according his need. Pure Socialism! I feel sorry for the former rich in England who have to give there former great estates to the National Trust and they are allowed to live in a small portion of their former estate..

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Denny CranesPlace wrote:
<quoted text>Quinn funding had nothing to do with security. They could have had military security that cost them nothing but it would look like there was a terrorist problem. The woman in charge of security and part of the Obama team testified under oath that it had nothing to do with a lack of funds. The ambassador begged for more security and Hillary says she never saw the many e mails from the ambassador. He told them they could not defend against an attack
Assuming neither of us was in Benghazi, neither of us knows more than the other. Having said that, Hillary was Secretary of State at the time and Republicans being Republicans denied additional funding. To repost the link

Now you will find conservative news saying otherwise and blame liberal media. So be it. You have your opinion and it is just that...an opinion.

As time has gone on and I see what is happening in the US, I have greater and greater disdain for Republicans and will vote against any and all of them if I even choose to vote. They are so hell bent on their social ideology and desire to stick it to Obama that they have and continue to destroy this country.

That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

Sent from my iPhone

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••