El's Kitchen

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#22753 Feb 2, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously? I think Webster's would say "LIE BRAR EEE (long e); and similar for NUKE LEE ER. There's no 'x' in ask.
My degree is in English :-)
That is how people here say those words.... I did see the discusions of Nuclear pronounciations .. but how else do people say Library?

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#22754 Feb 2, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
what small child didn't call it basketti??? I'm sure I did
yes, but my kid said it the cutest!!! LOL!!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#22755 Feb 2, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>yes, but my kid said it the cutest!!! LOL!!
Of course! That goes without saying Franko!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#22756 Feb 2, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>That is how people here say those words.... I did see the discusions of Nuclear pronounciations .. but how else do people say Library?
I've only heard Lie Berry.

And it is not Twenty Thirteen it's Two Thousand Thirteen. This, 0, is a zero, a number; this, "O" is an o, a letter. In phone numbers and addresses people inevitably say the letter in place of the number. 000000000. It's a ZERO people not an ooooooooo!

Level 3

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#22757 Feb 2, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
Brighteyes, don't you remember our email when she (Flower Child/FC) says she made her hotel reservations & I picked Ft Wayne because she was flying in?
Don't know where the communication broke down. I was always of the understanding we were hooking up in Ft Wayne.
I do not understand where it broke down either. We knew that FC had reservations in Ft. Wayne because we asked where she as staying and the price. Boomer and I were talking about Muncie as a place to stay for the night. Our calendar says Ft. Wayne.

Level 3

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#22758 Feb 2, 2013
Hope you are feel better soon Flower Child.

“guess who Lois?”

Level 7

Since: Dec 06

A little hole in the wall.

#22759 Feb 2, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've only heard Lie Berry.
And it is not Twenty Thirteen it's Two Thousand Thirteen. This, 0, is a zero, a number; this, "O" is an o, a letter. In phone numbers and addresses people inevitably say the letter in place of the number. 000000000. It's a ZERO people not an ooooooooo!
Hmm yes lie berry ... I've heard that,.. but only from Americans ... it's not done here ...

weird huh?

The "oh" makes sense though, it's so much easier to say instead of zero .... I mean to say "triple oh" instead of "zero zero zero" .. so much easier ....

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Glastonbury, UK

#22760 Feb 3, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>That is how people here say those words.... I did see the discusions of Nuclear pronounciations .. but how else do people say Library?
Some tend to say it as "libry" rather than library.

“Cool huh?”

Since: Jun 06

Location hidden

#22761 Feb 3, 2013
Ah yes....but can you pronounce this....



Good Morning Everyone!

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#22762 Feb 3, 2013
franko wrote:
<quoted text>Hmm yes lie berry ... I've heard that,.. but only from Americans ... it's not done here ...

weird huh?

The "oh" makes sense though, it's so much easier to say instead of zero .... I mean to say "triple oh" instead of "zero zero zero" .. so much easier ....
Then you're gonna get stuck or the wrong number because a zero is not an "oh".

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#22763 Feb 3, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>Some tend to say it as "libry" rather than library.
And you're the educator aren't you Tony? Can't you just smack 'em?

“Towards Spring”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#22764 Feb 3, 2013
Brighteyes9 wrote:
Hope you are feel better soon Flower Child.
Adding my good wishes to those
of your for 'Flower Child.'
and happy Sunday to you B, and to all here.

Yes it's funny about language,
and the differences there are;

how the English prefer not to sound
the 'R' at the end of a sentence..
where Americans sound it strongly...

Over here too, we have our idiosyncrasies!

we put 'but' at the end of a sentence,
for no particular reason 'I can see'.. lol

ie>

'I bought a nice bunch of flowers,
though they were very dear, but'!!!

“Towards Spring”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#22765 Feb 3, 2013
correction:

that should be
'prefer not to sound R at the end of
a word..ie> after, butter, etc...

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Glastonbury, UK

#22766 Feb 3, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
And you're the educator aren't you Tony? Can't you just smack 'em?
True - it's laziness as much as ignorance I fear. In Cornwall, the real irritant for me is the phrase enquiring where somewhere is situated. They say "where's that to?" - I feel like yelling, "it's not 'to' anywhere, it's where it is."!

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Glastonbury, UK

#22767 Feb 3, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
correction:
that should be
'prefer not to sound R at the end of
a word..ie> after, butter, etc...
Although some in th US pronounce butter as if it had two 'd's in the middle.

“Towards Spring”

Level 8

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#22768 Feb 3, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
True - it's laziness as much as ignorance I fear. In Cornwall, the real irritant for me is the phrase enquiring where somewhere is situated. They say "where's that to?" - I feel like yelling, "it's not 'to' anywhere, it's where it is."!
Yes, and ....
Speaking of 'to'[if I may come in here]

Many posters here, I have noticed, use 'to' for 'too'

Example:

I'd LIKE A COFFEE 'to'

instead of 'too'

“ain't she sweet?”

Level 7

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#22769 Feb 3, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>True - it's laziness as much as ignorance I fear. In Cornwall, the real irritant for me is the phrase enquiring where somewhere is situated. They say "where's that to?" - I feel like yelling, "it's not 'to' anywhere, it's where it is."!
The big problem here now in colleges is that with social media and texting slang young people cannot write a coherent sentence.

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#22770 Feb 3, 2013
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
And you're the educator aren't you Tony? Can't you just smack 'em?
Good morning Quinn. A beautiful Sunday here. Up to 70 yesterday :)

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#22771 Feb 3, 2013
Grace Nerissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Adding my good wishes to those
of your for 'Flower Child.'
and happy Sunday to you B, and to all here.
Yes it's funny about language,
and the differences there are;
how the English prefer not to sound
the 'R' at the end of a sentence..
where Americans sound it strongly...
Over here too, we have our idiosyncrasies!
we put 'but' at the end of a sentence,
for no particular reason 'I can see'.. lol
ie>
'I bought a nice bunch of flowers,
though they were very dear, but'!!!
You drop your Rs and in the south we drop our Gs Darlin :)

“Denny Crain”

Level 8

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#22772 Feb 3, 2013
tony1003 wrote:
<quoted text>
True - it's laziness as much as ignorance I fear. In Cornwall, the real irritant for me is the phrase enquiring where somewhere is situated. They say "where's that to?" - I feel like yelling, "it's not 'to' anywhere, it's where it is."!
LOL In Texas we say we are fixing to go to the store :) Fixing to do a lot of things

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 2 min Big Ern- 10,679
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 4 min Big Ern- 16,662
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 5 min Charlie 150,024
Life is incomplete without ..... (what?) (Feb '14) 7 min Charlie 799
What's one thing you appreciate in your life? 8 min Charlie 106
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 9 min Charlie 3,997
got any jokes (Sep '08) 36 min Ricky F 142
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr KellyP in Jersey 216,966
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 2 hr Denny CranesPlace 21,838
A to Z songs by title or group! 3 hr Sweetie-Pie 1,798
What turns you on ? (Aug '11) 6 hr Sharlene45 2,507
More from around the web